Portugal | WC 2022 Discussion | Roberto Martinez to become next manager

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Happy with Leão's goal. Hopefully he will get his spot in the future

Idxomer

It does seem that out of nowhere Portugal suddenly have such a stacked team.

They always had 2 or 3 big talents but now they have quality players all over the pitch with some great options on the bench too.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What does Leao have to do to get a start? The boy is electric.

mav_9me

If this doesn't show some fans how Ronaldo was weighing them down, nothing will.

Idxomer

Leao is a talent but he isn't better than Felix currently.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Wonderful to see a Portugal side fulfilling their potential on the world stage.

AndyMUFC

Two big calls for Santos dropping Ronaldo and Cancelo tonight and Ramos and our own Dalot were terrific.

They’ve got a chance now.

avgp_1

Portugal have had these brilliant youth teams in the past decade or so. Been a real conveyer belt of talent. It's finally their time I believe after getting rid of what's been holding them back, look the most assured of the lot.

Irwin99

That was probably the best performance at the World Cup so far, even taking to account how poor Switzerland were. So much energy in their play.

I do wonder if they could shut out the likes of Mbappe or Kane/Foden though.

Kelly15

Wow! Did Portugal look good. What a difference with a proper striker. Ronaldo is not a striker. His positioning is so poor when he plays there. He to many times is heading for the back post instead of the front. Not in the proper position to hold up play or to receive a pass. Can't see him starting anymore games after that performance from Portugal. Brillant team effort.

Lastly, everyone was grinning ear to ear after the game except for one.

acolyte

At this point, it wouldn’t surprise me if Portugal suddenly looked like Brazil or France in terms of serious favourites if they dropped Ronaldo and put Felix in for example.

That seems to be the effect these days.
Great call

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Portugal looked really good tonight. Think I heard that this is only their third quarter-final in the world cup? Is that correct?

Morocco will be a tough opposition but they will feel confident I think.

the_cliff

I remember having a debate on here with a certain Portuguese fan that they could win the world cup if they dropped Ronaldo. Hopefully he agrees now and they do go on to win it. There's some very likeable players in this Portugal team and their technical ability is up there with that of Brazil.

Should make lightwork of Morocco and will give England/France a very tough fight.

That was one of the most impressive performances I've seen in the world cup since the Germany 7-1, complete destruction of a very good team, people need to remember that Switzerland are a very solid unit and don't get destroyed in knockout games like this.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Wow that was incredible. Third WC quarters in history for us and first KO win in a tournament since Éder 2016. Impossible to not start dreaming about making our first ever final after that although it will likely end in disappointment.

Ronaldo’s old and should obviously start on the bench the rest of the tournament. He could still be important in certain moments, needs to get his head down now. Ramos has been good for Benfica but I think noone in the country saw this coming, wtf did he just do.

Still have some concerns, defensive setpieces have been shit and William in midfield I don’t believe is ideal. Vitinha and Palhinha deserve more minutes there. Guerreiro at left back defensively concerns me too, it will be Ziyech on that side next. I’d like to see Cancelo starting there, he hasn’t been great so far but quite simply he’s a better player than Raphael. Horta is ok but don’t want him to get important minutes anymore.

Dalot, Pepe, Félix and Bruno incredible.
Leão off the bench half the times incredible, half the times shit but I’ll take that
The 3 City players are better than what they’ve shown so far, we’re going to need them at their best

Incredible day for us but also Switzerland made it too easy, Morocco won’t

The Purley King

The Saudi team are going to pay him £100m+ and will immediately bench him to improve their overall team performance.
Worth the money!

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Amazing how Pepe is so fast either running or executing at 39 and he was 1 and half months out injured before the world cup. His genes must be made of gold.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
They go up so many levels by dropping Ronaldo.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Fantastic blend of youth, talent and experience! Will they be able to evade the Ronaldo’s minefield, though? Imagine him being left out of the next game, the next one and then the final??

mav_9me

Wow that was incredible. Third WC quarters in history for us and first KO win in a tournament since Éder 2016. Impossible to not start dreaming about making our first ever final after that although it will likely end in disappointment.

Ronaldo’s old and should obviously start on the bench the rest of the tournament. He could still be important in certain moments, needs to get his head down now. Ramos has been good for Benfica but I think noone in the country saw this coming, wtf did he just do.

Still have some concerns, defensive setpieces have been shit and William in midfield I don’t believe is ideal. Vitinha and Palhinha deserve more minutes there. Guerreiro at left back defensively concerns me too, it will be Ziyech on that side next. I’d like to see Cancelo starting there, he hasn’t been great so far but quite simply he’s a better player than Raphael. Horta is ok but don’t want him to get important minutes anymore.

Dalot, Pepe, Félix and Bruno incredible.
Leão off the bench half the times incredible, half the times shit but I’ll take that
The 3 City players are better than what they’ve shown so far, we’re going to need them at their best

Incredible day for us but also Switzerland made it too easy, Morocco won’t
You know I actually don't think at all. He has lost everything. Other than heading, I don't think he has a single quality left that's top quality.

Djemba-Djemba

I've seen a few people mention Ronaldo might still be good in the air but when did he actually last score a header?

Now they've dropped him to the bench I think Portugal have a real chance of winning it. They were amazing tonight and their attacking talent is incredible.

KeanoMagicHat

Well done Portugal, that was one of their best tournament performances in many years. The defending from Switzerland though was diabolical. You watch back that game tonight and so many bad defensive lines, bad mistakes, weird stuff Swiss players were doing. For a team that used to be renowned for being tight at the back. Manager said they were struggling with a virus in the squad, maybe that's the reason.

So it's hard to know how this will apply to the Morocco game, because Morocco were flawless in their discipline against Spain. Ramos has to start the next game though, Santos will be happy he made that decision easy for him.

island

Supports
Chelsea
Courage was rewarded.
Remove the elephant from the field and watch a kid score a Hattrick in his debut as a starter in a world championship.

The team flows, plays at a different speed, a group is made.
Because they have quality to spare.

Today they finally played well and convinced.

That's beautiful.

But the prima donna is a poison on and off the field.

croadyman

Well done Portugal, that was one of their best tournament performances in many years. The defending from Switzerland though was diabolical. You watch back that game tonight and so many bad defensive lines, bad mistakes, weird stuff Swiss players were doing. For a team that used to be renowned for being tight at the back. Manager said they were struggling with a virus in the squad, maybe that's the reason.

So it's hard to know how this will apply to the Morocco game, because Morocco were flawless in their discipline against Spain. Ramos has to start the next game though, Santos will be happy he made that decision easy for him.
Yeah Morocco need to get closer than Switzerland that's for sure,don't let Bruno,Felix & Silva roam around so easily.

NoPace

Some of it was that Widmer was out (I think with the virus) and also some credit to Santos for playing Dalot very high and turning Vargas into a wingback as Ricardo tucked in to deal with the roaming 3 of Bernardo, Otavio and Bruno.

Morocco won't be as disorganized and Amrabat-Hakimi-Mazraoui and the 2 #8s have been brilliant in protecting the CBs , but Aguerd and Saiss being hurt might be too much for them. I could see the case for Felix starting up top against some injured and tired CBs and Portugal pressing less and looking to tear them apart in a more open game, though Leao doesn't seem like he'll be trusted with a start, so probably Felix will start out left.