Portuguese Football 2018/19

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Regardless of anyones opinion Fernando Santos has cemented himself as the best coach in Portugal national team history. 2 trophies in 3 years and most wins ever b a coach. Gotta resect him.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
We're going to continue playing badly against the smaller teams but with this team we can beat any team in the world. It's a team built for the big games.

Santos is great, got it absolutely spot on tonight.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Another cup. Thanks Engenheiro :)

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
We're going to continue playing badly against the smaller teams but with this team we can beat any team in the world. It's a team built for the big games.

Santos is great, got it absolutely spot on tonight.
:lol: Belgrade @Peyroteo . 3 points there and I shut up for 1 year. Seriously he did ok introducing Danilo and Guedes today.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
:lol: Belgrade @Peyroteo . 3 points there and I shut up for 1 year. Seriously he did ok introducing Danilo and Guedes today.
It's getting the best out of Bernardo that will change how this Portugal team looks. Compare the Bernardo of 1 year ago at the World Cup to this one and it doesn't even look like the same player. It makes us a lot better in possession to have a player that's pretty much impossible to dispossess.

I believe we'll take the game in Belgrade very seriously and I think they have the mentality to go there and get a win. We'll then probably go on to draw with Luxembourg though :lol:

Tonight's win is a victory for Fernando Santos. In the Euros he got plenty of things wrong and things went our way, tonight he got everything right though. That was a masterclass.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It's getting the best out of Bernardo that will change how this Portugal team looks. Compare the Bernardo of 1 year ago at the World Cup to this one and it doesn't even look like the same player. It makes us a lot better in possession to have a player that's pretty much impossible to dispossess.

I believe we'll take the game in Belgrade very seriously and I think they have the mentality to go there and get a win. We'll then probably go on to draw with Luxembourg though :lol:

Tonight's win is a victory for Fernando Santos. In the Euros he got plenty of things wrong and things went our way, tonight he got everything right though. That was a masterclass.
Serious note now. I know today he did a good job but losing 4 points at home vs Ukraine and Serbia wasn’t good. Keeping in mind those teams when they play at home are really hard to beat. Won’t mind finishing second though. Just don’t accept a playoff.

Another good thing today was Dias, let’s see if Lage can improve him and Ferro this season. Fonte and Pepe are on their last legs.

And please play Danilo alongside William. What one lacks the other complements imo.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Benfica win 4-3 in the futsal game 5. We hit the post with 5 seconds to play, gutted.

Deserved though, after we got pretty lucky last year. Think the best two futsal teams in the world are portuguese now.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Benfica win 4-3 in the futsal game 5. We hit the post with 5 seconds to play, gutted.

Deserved though, after we got pretty lucky last year. Think the best two futsal teams in the world are portuguese now.
I watched the last 20 minutes here. I agree that Sporting/Benfica are amongst the best 4 teams in Europe now, would be even better for the League a third team with similar level though. Anyway next season we’ll be there again.

Helder-Carvalho

I watched the last 20 minutes here. I agree that Sporting/Benfica are amongst the best 4 teams in Europe now, would be even better for the League a third team with similar level though. Anyway next season we’ll be there again.
my club needs a new president and direction with fresh blood and ideas, lack of presence in futsal is unforgiven

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Great game it was. Sporting lost mainly because they lacked efficiency in the 1st phase of the attacking build-up, which they lost possession several times and got bailed by a good 1st half by Cardinal, who was fantastic in the link-up play, but lacked support from their team mates.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Great game it was. Sporting lost mainly because they lacked efficiency in the 1st phase of the attacking build-up, which they lost possession several times and got bailed by a good 1st half by Cardinal, who was fantastic in the link-up play, but lacked support from their team mates.
Agreed, the way Benfica scored their 4th was inexcusable. Also didn't like the 5 v 4 at the end, it was too passive.

Still, the level of futsal in Portugal is very high right now and it's fair that Benfica and Sporting share the last 2 titles with both times it going to a game 5. There definitely needs to be another team that breaks the duopoly though.

17 years of just Benfica and Sporting winning it isn't good.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Agreed, the way Benfica scored their 4th was inexcusable. Also didn't like the 5 v 4 at the end, it was too passive.

Still, the level of futsal in Portugal is very high right now and it's fair that Benfica and Sporting share the last 2 titles with both times it going to a game 5. There definitely needs to be another team that breaks the duopoly though.

17 years of just Benfica and Sporting winning it isn't good.
And bare in mind that futsal is actually very popular at Portugal, even before we had a proper league it was played by a lot of people on the streets.
Dunno why Porto does not look interested on it. This is actually a sport where smaller clubs can actually step up.

SportingCP96

Supports
And bare in mind that futsal is actually very popular at Portugal, even before we had a proper league it was played by a lot of people on the streets.
Dunno why Porto does not look interested on it. This is actually a sport where smaller clubs can actually step up.
Entertaining too. It does not get as much credit as it honestly should.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
my club needs a new president and direction with fresh blood and ideas, lack of presence in futsal is unforgiven
Another fellow Porto fan! Welcome.

feck futsal though, poor man's football. Hope we never get into it. Promote other sports yes but this country has already too much footy in TV

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Entertaining too. It does not get as much credit as it honestly should.
It amazes me how futsal is not a huge sport internationally. It has everything to be a much bigger sport than it is, there's nothing like watchng the last 2 minutes of a huge futsal game when your team is one goal ahead.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Not the appropriate thread for this but beside football what I am more interested to follow next season is our handball team now with a new french coach.

Regarding futsal I lost a bit my interest over the years even if it is our most competitive department there + athletics, hope handball follows the same path.

SportingCP96

Supports
Two questions:

1. When will the league schedule be announced ?
2. What date will the Supertaca be?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Not the appropriate thread for this but beside football what I am more interested to follow next season is our handball team now with a new french coach.

Regarding futsal I lost a bit my interest over the years even if it is our most competitive department there + athletics, hope handball follows the same path.
I really enjoy indoor sports. Handball, volleyball, futsal, rink rockey, combat sports etc.
You should regain your interest in futsal: our league is getting better every year. Sporting only lost the final because they made a terrible 1st half in the final game.

The one I can't bear to watch is our basketball league. The technical and tactical level is so poor that it makes my mind hurt.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Two questions:

1. When will the league schedule be announced ?
2. What date will the Supertaca be?
2019/20 schedules will be announced at 5th of July, at Porto, 21 O'clock.
I suggest to close this thread and open the 2019/20 at that date.

1st matchday will be at 11th August (off course, due to TV transmissions it can start at 8, 9, etc)

Supercup will be at 2, 3 or 4th of August. The place of the match is still open because there's a chance it will be played at Paris as it happened a few years ago.

The official competition ball of next season will be this:

SportingCP96

Supports
2019/20 schedules will be announced at 5th of July, at Porto, 21 O'clock.
I suggest to close this thread and open the 2019/20 at that date.

1st matchday will be at 11th August (off course, due to TV transmissions it can start at 8, 9, etc)

Supercup will be at 2, 3 or 4th of August. The place of the match is still open because there's a chance it will be played at Paris as it happened a few years ago.

The official competition ball of next season will be this:
I am heading back to Lisbon August 12th until early September so I hope to get some good games.

I wanted to watch the Super Taca but if it is that early then no chance.

Thanks for the reply!

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I really enjoy indoor sports. Handball, volleyball, futsal, rink rockey, combat sports etc.
You should regain your interest in futsal: our league is getting better every year. Sporting only lost the final because they made a terrible 1st half in the final game.

The one I can't bear to watch is our basketball league. The technical and tactical level is so poor that it makes my mind hurt.
Yes, I am against us returning with Basketball. It’s so bad to watch the games from the domestic league compared with other European Leagues.

Regarding Futsal the league needs a third team who can challenge the Sporting/Benfica duopoly.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Yes, I am against us returning with Basketball. It’s so bad to watch the games from the domestic league compared with other European Leagues.

Regarding Futsal the league needs a third team who can challenge the Sporting/Benfica duopoly.
Belenenses did it for a while, but they eventually almost bankrupted. If they did that financial effort nowadays, they would probably handle the financial stress because futsal is much more professionalized and popular than a few years ago and their income would be much greater.

Regarding basketball, the problem is highly cultural and organizational. Our scouting is pretty much terrible: instead of scouting in ABA League 2, LKL, etc we overspend our money in dubious american players.

The other problem is our basketball "grass roots". We are tactically outdated. With the foreign players roster limit means that during the game, a portuguese player will rotate a "star" player. And the problem is that the "average" portuguese basketball player quality is poor when compared to plenty of other countrie.

A good example: Bakken Bears, from Basketligaen. They have a very modest budget, but when Benfica or Porto play against them Bakken bears will dominate both games, even if they loose the away game. And their budget is not superior to ours.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
4 days until the close of this thread. I guess I will leave my opinion about last season of the three major clubs

Benfica:
Positives:
- Won the league after a poor 1st half of the season
- Great performances by Rafa, Pizzi and Seferovic, that actually pushed the team forward in a lot of games
- Bruno Lage promoting youth players with sucess: Félix, Ferro, Florentino, Jota, Gédson, etc
- Playing style was very pleasing to watch under Bruno Lage
Negatives:
- João Félix leaving after 6 months. it's a fantastic business, but in terms of squad competitiveness, not the best news.
- Europa League was bellow par. We were expecting to reach the semi-finals at least.

Porto:
Positives:
- Teamwork was still their signature mark.
- A good UCL run, despite the results against Liverpool.
- They battled for every title this season.
- Diego Militão was one of the best players of UCL groups stage.
Negatives:
- They lacked one or two outstanding player that could push the team forward in the decisive moments.
- Their squad lack of depth was fatal to them.
- They lost several key players.
- Their winter transfers made no positive impact whatsoever.
- Unable to integrate youth talents in the senior squad, despite having quality on their disposal.

Sporting:
Positives:
- Despite recovering from a serious internal crisis, the club did well on a budget bellow their rivals. They manage to keep on top 3 very comfortably.
- Bruno Fernandes made an outstanding season.
- Sporting defending processes improved during the season.
Negatives:
- Manager change did less impact than expected.
- Jovane Cabral didn't live up to the expectations.
- Selling Nani didn't help, since he was doing a good season.
- Bas Dost didn't delivered the same end product, but still produced good numbers nonetheless.

Team of the season (IMHO)

4x2x3x1
GK: Charles (Marítimo) - I really like this guy. Made some fantastic games and I think he won't be there for long.
DD: André Almeida (Benfica) - He's not really a good player, but he made the best season of his career, with many assists.
DE: Alex Telles (Porto) - Porto's key player.
DC: Éder Militão (Porto) - While placed at center back, he was fantastic. His UCL group stage was terrific.
DC: Mathieu (Sporting) - A good season overall, but his performance at cup games made him enter my picks
MCDf: Danilo (Porto) - Not as powerful as last season, but still the best player at his position on our league
MC: Pizzi (Benfica) - Another player that created tons of chances. Very good season
MAC: Bruno Fernandes (Sporting) - MVP of the league. Enough said.
SS: Nani (Sporting) - He made a very solid season while he was at Sporting. Was sold for financial reason.
SS: João Felix (Benfica) - The inspiration that led to the title recovery
PL: Seferovic (Benfica) - A very limited player, that even Benfica fans will agree on this. But he made his best season of his career so far, scoring plenty of winners.

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Who will step up for sporting and benfica next season? I've only seen Raphina play twice but I thought he has talent

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We've been linked with Rafael Leao of Lille. I believe he came through Sporting Clube youth system and still only 20. Is he seen as major prospect for Portugal in the future?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
We've been linked with Rafael Leao of Lille. I believe he came through Sporting Clube youth system and still only 20. Is he seen as major prospect for Portugal in the future?
Only a good prospect so far. If you want my opinion from the 99 age group in Portugal, after Felix, him and Florentino look the best prospects. But imo even if I hated the way he left the club, for his development it would be better to stay at Lille, not ready to start for a Premier League club. But a decent prospect.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Who will step up for sporting and benfica next season? I've only seen Raphina play twice but I thought he has talent
Let's see if the academy has some surprises. The transfer activity has not been bad. Rosier and Camacho are good prospects and might work out.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Pretty much what SCP said: he made a very good season start at France, but then lost form and even got dropped to the bench in some game in the 2nd half of the season.

But why is Villa hiring another striker? Didn't you guys just hired Wesley?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Sá Pinto new Braga manager. A very odd choice. Would expect someone like Silas. Did Sá Pinto improved himself that much?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Sá Pinto new Braga manager. A very odd choice. Would expect someone like Silas. Did Sá Pinto improved himself that much?
His best job was with Standard. But some people I know who followed his jobs they say he improved compared to what he was 5 years ago. Will be curious to see if he will give more chances to younger players there.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Dear Mods, can you please close this thread? I'm opening the 2019/20 Portuguese football thread.