PL D FA Premier League

Newcastle United 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 12 January 2016

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I do sympathise with Van Gaal a little. It's almost as if we can't be trusted to play free flowing, forward thinking football, and so he puts the brakes on. Every time he's pressured into loosening us up a bit, we show just why it's not a good idea. Entertaining game, but we were awful at the back.

We just can't seem to find a happy medium with our attacking style and defensive solidity.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We paid for missing chances. Lingard and Fellaini could have put this game beyond Newcastle. We are now behind West Ham.

The silver lining to this cloud is that we at least looked like Man Utd, 2012/13 Man Utd specifically: Strong in attack, totally lacking control of midfield, and pushing the game right to the wire. Had we played like this in December we probably would not be looking at another barren season. Oh well...

justboy68

I'm not even as angry as I probably should be. It was one hell of an entertaining and hilarious game. The way things are at the moment I'll take games like that every day of the week, even if we are shambolic at the back.

Kopral Jono

:lol:

Shades of Wolfsburg away. Two points dropped but that was good fun. A bit gutted but I haven't felt this way after a United game in a while so it's a welcome change. Fellaini is shit.

finneh

Well Van Gaal has proven he can't play possession football to great effect. Maybe he's now trying to prove he can't play counter attacking football to great effect either?

You have an awful Newcastle team commit half their team forward at every opportunity and end up giving away as many chances as you create.

Terrible... No better or worse than Bournemouth.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Feel so deflated after that :(. I don't care what people say it's all about the win, I'd take a boring 1-0 win over this.

Revan

Assumptionman
Fellaini is shit, everyone knew that before. Give him to Milano in loan and pay his wages, I don't fucnking care as long as I won't ever see him in a United shirt again. He has always been, is and will always be a genuinely awful player,

Smalling being shit is a bit more surprising though, but I have been saying that he has been average/poor in the last two months when Blind was carrying him (and returning the favor for Smalling carrying him in the first two-three months of the season).

Rooney was great today. Hopefully he continues like this.

Woodzy

Enjoyed that. Would be ironic if it was enough for LvG to get the boot.

Riz

Rooney carried the team today and they still let him down. All 3 conceded goals were horrific. Fellaini and Smalling combined to give them the first goal. Smalling then went WWE in the penalty area followed by Memphis forgetting to do the easy part and actually kick the ball once he'd got back.

Attacking wise, Martial was good in the first half, anonymous in the second. Ditto Herrera. Lingard's composure ranges from nutmegging the keeper to blazing over from 6 yards. Fellaini had to score that header at 3-2 as well. We really gifted them the draw. Shocking.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Newcastle showed great spirit but they're so average that the Hair Bear Bunch could beat 'em; we couldn't. Not good enough.

Heinzesight

Don't understand the 'great game' and 'superb entertainment'?! It was two teams playing absolutely dogshit football, giving the ball away, comedy defending, shit refereeing, etc.

We have no playing style. If we defend and keep hold of the ball - we create feck all. Attack and move it quickly - the defence goes to shit. Wank.

Never a 'great game' letting 3 in against that shit and being 2-0 up and drawing. Great game for the neutral. We are becoming Liverpool of the 90's and their thrillers against Newcastle.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Absolutely no bottle to this team. I knew once fellaini missed his chance we would cave in. Why on earth do we insist on letting so many crosses into our box? My god it's so frustating, it doesn't matter what score we are winning by we can just throw it away at any time.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
We're now the comedy club of the Premier League.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Fun game at least. Annoying that fellaini is shit as always. Annoying that we can't defend if we open up a bit going forward. Still prefer this 10000x compared to the last 3 months of shite

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
We were fantastic in the first half, shyte in the second.

We should have won the game easily, and at the end of the day despite the game being exciting we got a draw with the team third from bottom and slipped down a place. Worst still, Liverpool could go above us at the weekend if they beat us.

But this is the first game ive enjoyed in a very long time, and id rather 3-3 than 0-0, in fact when`s the last time we got 3 in the league?????????

Heardy

Lost for words really. Players to blame over the manager.

At least it wasn't boring I suppose. Still a further two points dropped and now looking increasingly unlikely to get 4th if it carries on.

Bocca9978

So it's shite when we struggle with a 0-0 or 1 goal win. Then this, thoroughly entertaining but still feel as Shite.

Game of missed chances for me, but better in some ways.

walkinhop

Complete lack of management. When the team was falling apart, the people in charge did jack to help them. Horrible substitutions, horrible shape, horrible read of the game. Some players failed and nobody did anything about that. Criminal.

NK86

Have a bad feeling about our chances for the top 4. We should have won this but for horrible finishing and schoolboy defending.

led_scholes

finally a game that I enjoyed after a looong time!! bit upset about the draw but still a better game to watch. Fellaini is so useless though. I'd like to see the stats of our wins/loses/draws when he is starting for us. he did 2 good things: won the penalty (because the defender had a brainfart) and a good pass to Rooney. for 93 minutes he was getting schooled by EVERY Newcastle player.

Devil may care

Well, at least it was entertaining, we actually created several good chances and should have killed the game off more than once, we were all over the place defensively though, and I thought Fellaini and Schneiderlin were dreadful at protecting the back 4 against the run, but at least Fellaini won some duels, Schneiderlin was invisible.

Tyrion

I used to think we were a good team playing terrible football. I'm not anymore. I'm pretty convinced that we're going nowhere under LVG but I suppose it's better to be exciting than terminally bad. It's still just a matter of time though.

RedOldBoy

Schneiderlin was atrocious today as was Smalling. They defended poorly, the latter gave away an unnecessary penalty and failed to mark their men. It's not every day you score three goals and miss 2 sitters and still not end up on the winning side. I fear of what's to come at Anfield.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The Lingard and Fellaini misses were very costly. It really should have been a comfortable win. Newcastle were very good in the middle of the park, but in defence and up front they were tragic.

Entertaining or not, we let two leads slip. Shite.

NK86

That was crazy,
Dont know how i feel about it. Goals are nice!!! But we needed the 3 points.

How much of our issues in attack are due to the midfield?
Individually some have been good but collectively they've been poor pretty consistently.
Fellaini should have half a dozen goals from recent games. How many chances in the 6 yard box can you miss?
And then the fecker smiles. I hope this was the last straw and now LVG can feck him off to someone else. Disgusted to see that clown don the famous shirt.

Vidicious

Flop
Fellaini, Smalling, Darmian all horrendous.

We were excellent in attack, which for some reason makes me more annoyed about this 3-3 draw as opposed to our recent big standard 0-0s.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 517 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Newcastle 0:0 Man Utd
  • 19% Newcastle 0:1 Man Utd