PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Fri, 26 December 2014

JackXX

I don't know where to start...

We are shite, unconvincing as usual. 3-0 though. Moaners and whingers can feck off really
:)

Disappointing to give away the pen but I thought we were really good at times today. Rooney was brilliant, Mata a lot better and what I want to see from him.

Varun

Staff
Very good performance. Fully deserved margin. Jones being stupid at the end due to complacency perhaps but was still solid overall.

Loved to see Mata finally pass like he can.

Revan

Assumptionman
Grea performance.

Rooney magnificient, Falcao and Mata excellent. Jones was very good before he decided to do a needless Jones and concede a penalty.

Asger

Easy win but we doesn't create many chances... Not sure why Fletcher is getting playing time. As much I loved him before his illness he just isn't good enough for this level anymore. Would like to see Pearson given a chance instead.

Raw

If we didn't have Spurs in 2 days we probably would have won 4 or 5-0. All the starters just played so well today.

Bit mental that Young didn't even get an assist with those crosses he kept whipping in.

OneUnited24

Good performance, im liking this possession football we are trying to play and can see it working well in Europe but we are so slow in our build up sometimes its a bit frustrating to watch.

Still 3 points is 3 points and i'm sure it'll improve when we start getting players back from injury

Hojoon

Comfy. We were coasting in the last 30 minutes, which isn't the end of the world considering we have another couple of matches in the next four days.

Someone

Something
Don't remember a more comfortable game for us this season. Very good performance from everyone involved.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
I'm going to go in the opposite direction. Fantastic performance today. Very comfortable today. Fast-paced attacks, good passing in and around the box, Young had a stormer today but Rooney was magnificent, absolutely everywhere on that pitch. We were quite comfortable after an hour and didn't need to exert too much energy. We could have gone full throttle but there was no real need to. The only negative was conceding that penalty but these things happen. We got three points and can look forward.

Saw your white text.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
We were great until about 67ish minutes. Then its like the entire team decided to drop the tempo and play like they were just seeing out a minute or two. It was quite infuriating actually. Carrick coming off had a negative impact as well.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Performance turned to muck when Carrick went off and was replaced by Fletcher. I imagine that sub was made with Spurs in mind, and this time of year is all about being economical and getting through games unscathed. On another day, we could have kept our foot on the pedal and embarrassed Newcastle.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Good, comfortable win. Could've been more but I think we had an eye on Spurs so didn't keep pushing for more. No injuries is always good. Rooney, mata, Van persie and falcao were all class today, which is good to see. Young as always was very good as well.

Rafael looked rusty when he came on to be honest.

Irrational.

LVG post-match interview:

- Pleased with performance as we dominated 90 minutes
- Rooney was too defensive against Villa, wanted him in a more attacking role today

Devil may care

It's nice to be able to write a post-match post and talk mostly about good attacking play as opposed to just finishing and De Gea. I thought Rooney was excellent and Mata was good, while RvP and Falcao's movement pulled Newcastle all over the place and the former mentioned pairing utilized the space really well.

I thought defensively we were solid enough but in truth Newcastle had neither of the weapons I fear, pace and power bar Sissoko and we dominated the midfield too well for one man and a 17 year old to really get any control in the game, their only threat was Perez.

Lastly Ashley Young deserves another dollop of Christmas Pud, he was very good again today and as someone that has never been a fan I have to give him huge credit for how he has stuck it out, adapted and started to thrive under LvG, playing perhaps the best football of his career.

There will be much tougher tests when pace and power are opposite us, but you can only beat what is in front of you and we did so with style for 70 minutes.

Sam

We were great until about 67ish minutes. Then its like the entire team decided to drop the tempo and play like they were just seeing out a minute or two. It was quite infuriating actually. Carrick coming off had a negative impact as well.
We're playing Spurs away in two days.

Red Stone

We did what we had to do. Coasted after 3-0, which is probably clever considering the fixture congestion this time of year.

Couldn't have done that much better. At the end of the day I'll rather have a comfortable 3-1 win without any injuries or suspensions than a 9-0 romp where half our players wear themselves out and need a rest in the next game. Also took Carrick off early so he'll stay fresh.

Great game.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Pleased with our performance. We dominated the game, won it within an hour and then just played the rest of the game out knowing we have another three coming up quickly afterwards. We made it look easy despite the fact Newcastle have been playing fairly well recently. That's a very good sign, especially given the number of injuries and the formation we played.

Obviously Rooney was the stand out player but I was impressed by the energy and effort showed by Falcao too. Also thought that Young continues to look more dangerous than he has in ages and that, rather than being bulled in the centre of the park, Mata played well in centre midfield. Lots of positives. Even Fletcher looked decent.

PS) How many penalties has Phil Jones conceded for us? :lol: Its funny today but he's gotta sort that out long-term.

pacifictheme

People who don't think Rooney is our best player :lol:

Shame we gave away that pen and Newcastle were terrible. Perfect game prior to Spurs though!

Moonred

As comfortable as it can get. Shame about the injuries that fecking won't just go away. Rooney, Falcao, Mata, Young all very good.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
We took a little while to get into it but once the first goal went in we were fantastic. Newcastle were crap but you can only beat what's in front of you. /cliche

Great to see Falcao, Rooney and Van Persie all involved in our goals.

Rooney in particular was fantastic of course.

Special mention for Young - were it not for Rooney he would have been my man of the match and it's just great to see the turnaround he has made since last season when he didn't look like he remembered how to beat a man. He's really enjoying his football at the moment and so am I!

I also thought Mata and Jones (penalty aside) were very good. Jones made a couple of those exciting runs from deep that I've been missing from two seasons ago.

Oh and fast breakaways. Gotta love the fast breakaways. :drool:

VanGaalEra

Really enjoyed today's game. Won early and got to rest Carrick and Falcao for Sunday.

Valencia and Young have been outstanding for us playing as WB's in Rafa and Shaw's absence.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
We took a little while to get into it but once the first goal went in we were fantastic. Newcastle were crap but you can only beat what's in front of you. /cliche

Great to see Falcao, Rooney and Van Persie all involved in our goals.

Rooney in particular was fantastic of course.

Special mention for Young - were it not for Rooney he would have been my man of the match and it's just great to see the turnaround he has made since last season when he didn't look like he remembered how to beat a man. He's really enjoying his football at the moment and so am I!

I also thought Mata and Jones (penalty aside) were very good. Jones made a couple of those exciting runs from deep that I've been missing from two seasons ago.
Wow, that's what confidence does for a player I guess. He is miles better than the one trick pony we saw last year. Shaw has a fight on his hands to get his place back. I'm not complaining.

Man of the Match

Wayne Rooney image Wayne Rooney 86% of 710 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 509 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw