Post match v Wigan

prateik

People in the matchday thread lose patience too soon.
We turned it on and won it comfortably.
Easy win.

Varun

Staff
Buttner was very good. Promising player who'l give Evra much needed competition.

Good 3 points and 4 goals. Great to see debutants scoring.

We should play at a higher tempo though.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Good win, clicked in the 2nd half. Buttner was a constent threat and solid at defending. Nani livened up a little bit aswell. Oh and Scholes.......:drool:

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I noticed that Buttner was great in the tackle. Positionally a bit sus to be fair but he got stuck in. Great attitude and will do well here.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
Evra has nothing to pout about. He is still the better player imo, but competition is exactly what he needs. His spot should never be guaranteed.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Lots of positives today. But Wigan were really poor.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
People in the matchday thread lose patience too soon.
We turned it on and won it comfortably.
Easy win.
First half we did not play well, but as we saw again today you have to play the entire game and we did well in the 2nd half and won easily 4-0 and got 3 points on a day when Chelsea and City each dropped a few points.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
A game of two proverbial halves. The second was excellent, the frustrating first shouldn't be swept under the carpet but will be now.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Hopefully we start playing better football now and keep clean sheets. Good debut for Büttner. Our squad really is great and players need to be on top of their game if they wanna play

Commadus

Buttner had a good debut but there are sterner tests to come - did look a bit like Rafale positionally.

Lindegard was very good.

Giggs was not very good. Scholes was good but not exceptional.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Evra has nothing to pout about. He is still the better player imo, but competition is exactly what he needs. His spot should never be guaranteed.
Mmm, not sure about that. He'll be ahead of Buttner for a while yes. But Evra hasn't been at his best for many months. There was a counter down the left in the 1st half where Boyce was running at our goal and Buttner was right with him. I can't help but have the feeling that Evra wouldn't have been there.

That's a big kick up the arse for Evra today. Great performance from the lad.

prateik

First half we did not play well, but as we saw again today you have to play the entire game and we did well in the 2nd half and won easily 4-0 and got 3 points on a day when Chelsea and City each dropped a few points.
We werent poor in the first half. We didnt score, but we played some good football.
There really wasnt much reason to complain.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
That minute of tackling in the second half was the best thing i've seen for fecking ages!

More at Anfield please.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
We werent poor in the first half. We didnt score, but we played some good football.
There really wasnt much reason to complain.
I thought we were very lacklustre and short on confidence in the 1st. it was quite worrying at the time

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Perfect day.

Powell scores on debut. Hernandez gets a goal. Buttsex scores and has an awesome debut. RVP and Kagawa get a rest.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
When we play with a bit of aggression and tempo we look great, when we don't we look awful. Massive plus from today is the squad depth.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Buttner had a good debut but there are sterner tests to come - did look a bit like Rafale positionally.

Lindegard was very good.

Giggs was not very good. Scholes was good but not exceptional.
What the hell are you talking about Giggs?
He was pretty good today.

iAm20Legend

I think we weren't bad in the first half, we created a few chances, but when we didn't convert, we seemed to slow down and be just allowing the game to drift at times, and not really imposing ourselves. The second half we did start getting stuck in, won quite a few tackles. Once we got the goal we got better and even more confident. I wonder if Fergie gave them a earful at HT.

prateik

I thought we were very lacklustre and short on confidence in the 1st. it was quite worrying at the time
Really?
I didnt think so. It wasnt high tempo.. but we often ease into games. No need to go all out straight away.

I'd love it if we did, but we often dont. I wasnt worried.
We passed it around nicely without doing much.. Good play without the cutting edge.

Stepped it up in the second half.

Certainly didnt look short on confidence to me.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
How did the fans behave? In light of this week I'm surprised to be reading shit on farcebook about hillsborough songs.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
How did the fans behave? In light of this week I'm surprised to be reading shit on farcebook about hillsborough songs.
Couple of 'it's never your fault' chants. Nothing too major.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Remember though guys, this is still Wigan.
whose defeated us last year, effectively ending our chance to win the title.

:nono: there are no easy games in the PL these days and every game vs a 'lower team' is always a potential banana skin; case in point City and Chelsea today.

You can only beat the team in front of you and I was delighted by todays performance. players back together after an international break, horrific defensive injuries and lots of new players at the start of the season, hardly ideal, and yet there were passages in the 2nd half were we were very fluid and looked very good.

Obviously delighted by Buttner, Lindegard, Welbeck and Nani, Giggs and Scholes keep on going (did you know Scholes averages a goal ever 4.5 games over his entire career??!!! Astonishing!!) Evans got minutes, Chica scored and wonderful cameo from Powell on debut. And best of all, DDG, RVP, Kagawa and Valencia all got rest before the CL and Liverpool next week.

When most of the squad is fit, we have fantastic competition for places, which should mean we don't squander leads as the subs bench is packed with quality as players have to deliver to keep their place in the 1st team.

Feels like today is the day we are properly underway into this years title challenge and I feel confident we have the right ingredients to compete to the wire on all fronts.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
We were pretty poor first half to be fair. Must have had a rocket from SAF at half time. Second 45 we played with a lot more aggression and it was lovely to see.
No we weren't. Very rarely in the PL will any team dominate another for the entire game.

Wigan strategy was to press, harrass and deny us space. But they were never going to be able to sustain that beyond half time, as the final score proved.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Couple of 'it's never your fault' chants. Nothing too major.
That was followed by a chant of "murderers, murderers".

Although neither were about Hillsborough it still doesn't make them right, even though the first one is now more about the Suarez affair the chant could have done with having a day off.

miah

Lots of positives today. But Wigan were really poor.
Agree about Wigan being poor, as good as that Buttner's run leading up to his goal, can't believe the Wigan player who got robbed just jogged/strolled after him in their own half. There is also a moment where Buttner tackles a Wigan player in our own half, where he then claw at the ball with his foot for a good 5 seconds with that player standing behind him doing nothing to take it back. Then there is the whole Wigan defence standing still on our 4th goal. How on earth did Hernandez get that ball when it's so much nearer to the defender?! He just stood still there just outside the 18yard box in his own half! Hernandez even had the time to look around for a good option! Unbelievable!

I'm not someone who analyzed games to the death, nor criticized the opponents but they were really poor after our 2nd goal i think.
Enjoyed the game today though.