Post match v Wigan

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
If there isnt contact with the player, it isnt a foul.
Shielding the ball out for goal kicks isnt getting contact with the ball and is denying the attacker control of it.. doesnt make it a foul
If welbeck fell after hurdling Habsi, it wouldve been different.. Welbeck ran by his side and went to ground.
I havent seen slow mo HD replays of it.. but didnt think there was much if any contact.
It wasnt a pen.
Fouls have been given without contact for "intent". Does not really apply in this case, but your statement is not correct.

prateik

Oh yes.. I mean this or similar situations..
Presence (like this) putting other players off isnt a foul unless there is contact.
A tackle where the attacking player takes evasive action and loses the ball is a different matter.

RK

If there isnt contact with the player, it isnt a foul.
It can be, see the rules.

Shielding the ball out for goal kicks isnt getting contact with the ball and is denying the attacker control of it.. doesnt make it a foul
It is if the defender isn't in control of the ball - known as obstruction.

If welbeck fell after hurdling Habsi, it wouldve been different.. Welbeck ran by his side and went to ground.
I havent seen slow mo HD replays of it.. but didnt think there was much if any contact.
It wasnt a pen.
Fair enough if that's your opinion, but I think Welbeck did the right thing and let the referee decide.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
It seems the telegraph have stopped publishing the average player position chart with their match reports, but you can see one on whoscored.com. Against Wigan it looked like this:

.................................................... goal line
...2.................16..22................28.... halfway line

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/614161/MatchReport

togg

I would have loved being a fly on the wall during half time, because we saw the two united's against wigan. Thinking about Rooney's comments concerning facing the Fergie hairdryer...I reckon for the team it must have felt like standing behind a Boeing 747 jet engine - by goodness it had an effect though....

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
As far as I'm aware it was the "It's never your fault" chant that was sung. According to a what I've heard anyway.

CapeTownRed

Am I the only one that saw the keeper knick Welbeck with his leg as he came through? Was certain it happened, thought it was pretty clear too. Pulls his hands out of the way and just catches him with the knee afterwards...

ravelston

Am I the only one that saw the keeper knick Welbeck with his leg as he came through? Was certain it happened, thought it was pretty clear too. Pulls his hands out of the way and just catches him with the knee afterwards...
That's certainly what it looks like. The keeper took his hands away, but his momentum carried his body into Welbeck's path and he seemed to clip him with the thigh. There was no intent, but I don't think that's relevant here. Welbeck might have been able to stay upright, but it would have taken away any chance he had to get to the ball. When he went down I don't think the ref had any option but to give a penalty.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
I blame the ref, Welbeck didn't even whine or cryout for the penalty, the ref gave it... So blame the ref... Its not like Suarez diving and whining like a little cnut... Welbeck clearly was tripped, running at that speed anyone would fall down, Alhamsi was at fault for coming out and hitting nothing...

Dubious decision but I blame the ref, it was a soft penalty in the end where we didn't score, not worth debating really.

ravelston

I blame the ref, Welbeck didn't even whine or cryout for the penalty, the ref gave it... So blame the ref... Its not like Suarez diving and whining like a little cnut... Welbeck clearly was tripped, running at that speed anyone would fall down, Alhamsi was at fault for coming out and hitting nothing...

Dubious decision but I blame the ref, it was a soft penalty in the end where we didn't score, not worth debating really.
Going through it frame by frame, I don't see how there can be much doubt that the keeper's thigh caught Welbeck's trailing foot. It's also possible (although by no means certain) that he caught the front foot with his knee. None of this is visible in the "reverse angle" that has been widely posted - the keeper's body obscures all the relevant action.