PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Arsenal

Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 May 2015

World Game

You're questioning the fitness first now? There are so many injuries that players constantly fall out of form, especially in defense. So many substitutions this season wasted on a CB or a LB that has just returned from injuries.
That's a different type of fitness. This is more to do with their natural fitness - cardiovascular endurance. This is a problem mainly with our midfield, not so much the defense.

Trizy

I know there was nothing to play for but its was absolutely bullshit that we drew this game. Firstly it was like playing with 10 fecking men with either of Falcao or RVP on the pitch, they offered nothing. How Falcao didn't change his boots after the first 3 slips is beyond me.

To make it all the worse it was a fecking own goal.. nothing but pure luck out of Arsenal. Mind you it says an awful lot about us creating those chances and finishing none, we badly need a proper striker.

FujiVice

Reminded me of a Charity Shield game that. Where something is up for grabs but really nothing is up for grabs.

Zoo

Should have been out of sight. Arsenal were lucky just like in the cup but we need to be more ruthless.

Flying_Heckfish

Arsenal didn't really deserve to get anything out of the game but our performances recently don't merit 3rd place. I think the season is ending about as it should.

SalfordRed1960

I don't think it was a fair result, but shit happens.

This is the type of game that Mata, Herrera, Blind and Valencia are ideal.

Nobody played bad, but unlike Fergie Era when we make subs we always seem to lose focus and concentration.

Would have liked Di Maria on for Fellani but I guess DDG sub changed that.

Devil may care

First half was decent, second half was a damp squib from the moment we took Falcao off and brought RvP on we seemed to go down a gear, then there was the stagey De Gea substitution and then the fecking sloppy goal conceded. Treading water basically.

Kag

We should have been out of sight given how we played over the first 60 minutes. The subs were poor and the players spent the last 30 moping around like the game was won. The first half was excellent, though. A fair result all round.

The jammyness of Arsenal never fails to amaze me. We put in a dominant performance for most of the game and were let down by an unfortunate deflection. Sums up our season. Plenty of possession but lacked the killer instinct when we're on top. Credit to most of our players for their efforts, Young and Herrera in particular.

Clearly we need another striker. Falcao and Van Persie don't look up to the standard any more, and do whatever it takes to keep De Gea.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Very good first half performance. Terrible second half. We seem to have forgotten how to properly launch a counter attack. Should've killed the game off while Arsenal were commiting players up the field.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The major plus is that we have again shown that against big opposition we can dominate games, strange that people are going on about the second half even though Arsenal had nothing till the 60th minute and then again from the injuries time till the goal. It was a very soft goal but if we had a little more cutting edge we could have put the game to bed in the first hour. When we play well our wingers get so much space and so it would be nice to see Memphis because even though Young has been very good he tends to mess up his final pass. The biggest positive for me is just how many times we win the ball back quickly and again with a better striker we can really take the next step next season

ClosetDevil

Man knows how to do last ditch defending
LVG's substitutions have not really helped us this season. He's gotten it wrong more ofthen than not this season. I understand that Rojo was losing the ball too often, but he was making some crucial clearances. Bringing on Blackett, especially on the back of his last poor performance, was a poor decision and it backfired.
Rojo's positioning was abysmal.

togg

Why are people blaming Blackett? It was the slightest of touches on his boot, probably landing under a second from the time it was kicked. It happens, it wasn't as though he was out of position not challenging. Valdes was in the position for a clean kick...can't blame him either...just one of those things.

Dobba

Plenty of positives to be taken from our performances against the other top sides this season.

Excited to see who LvG has identified to fill in the gaps both in terms of the starting XI and squad depth.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
I think it was a fair result in the end. We had our worst half of the season (and possibly in a couple years) in the first half. I think United only have themselves to blame for not taking advantage of that. It's hard to put into words how diabolical that first half was from our perspective.

Second half, we grew into the game a little more. It was funny because the first 10 minutes of the second half was United's best period of the game so I was convinced it was going to be 2 or 3 but we stuck at it and you let us back in. Bringing Theo on was the right move, Jack Wilshere started to control the game and Ramsey in the midfield carved you open on several occasions. In the end, we could have won and you could have put the game away in the first half.. but a draw was the fairest result because neither team did enough.

Good luck for next season.

togg

What I will say, is that RVP is finished here...as is Falcao, so that is two strikers gone. Rooney, big fan of his, but honestly was, well, missing a bit today. There is no doubt we need a new striker, don't you think?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Bloody hell we should have had Kai or Klay playing up top for us today, wouldn't gotten us the 2nd goal:D
It's disappointing but meh. Next season. Nothing to get stressed about until we play the qualifiers for Champions League. In the meantime, we get some players in.

stu_1992

Good first half, second half got progressively worse. Clearly the players got too comfortable. Can't be that disappointed since there wasn't enough too much at stake, 3rd place seemed unlikely anyway. Just would have been nice to get a win in the final home game. Young was our best player. Falcao is clearly gone, and won't really be missed.

On a side note, that Van Gaal end of season address was a bit odd.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
LVG's substitutions have not really helped us this season. He's gotten it wrong more ofthen than not this season. I understand that Rojo was losing the ball too often, but he was making some crucial clearances. Bringing on Blackett, especially on the back of his last poor performance, was a poor decision and it backfired.
Rojo just back an obviously tired..why cant people think before posting stupid shit?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Good first half, second half got progressively worse. Clearly the players got too comfortable. Can't be that disappointed since there wasn't enough too much at stake, 3rd place seemed unlikely anyway. Just would have been nice to get a win in the final home game. Young was our best player. Falcao is clearly gone, and won't really be missed.

On a side note, that Van Gaal end of season address was a bit odd.
What did he say

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Such a shame Blind's shot got blocked, 2-0 would've been the end for Arsenal. Decent first half but not great, and what the hell were Arsenal doing? Second half we ran out of steam, Arsenal started playing like you'd expect from a team in 3th place, squeeky bum time for 40 minutes straight. The deflection was unlucky but Arsenal were looking like they would score for a long time.

Robbie Boy

Good first half but we failed to grab a second and predictably let them back into it in the second half.

togg

I think it was a fair result in the end. We had our worst half of the season (and possibly in a couple years) in the first half. I think United only have themselves to blame for not taking advantage of that. It's hard to put into words how diabolical that first half was from our perspective.

Second half, we grew into the game a little more. It was funny because the first 10 minutes of the second half was United's best period of the game so I was convinced it was going to be 2 or 3 but we stuck at it and you let us back in. Bringing Theo on was the right move, Jack Wilshere started to control the game and Ramsey in the midfield carved you open on several occasions. In the end, we could have won and you could have put the game away in the first half.. but a draw was the fairest result because neither team did enough.

Good luck for next season.
Yeah...I think you are right. End of the season game, two top sides and it was kind of inevitable it would be a draw. Also, as the teams have played this season, you actually do deserve 3rd, not that I wanted you to...because I hoped we would beat you today and leave it open, although I also believed you would do it anyway regardless...but it would have kept things interesting. Anyway, good luck in the cup final...but...being a United supporter, obviously I hope Aston Villa win ;)

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
How come we play so good in the first half and then look clueless in the second?
I think at half time the players are instructed to be less expansive when we are in winning positions (it's happened a lot this season). But we lack the in game management when Carrick isn't on the field. We become a bit too passive and invite pressure. Arsenal stepped it up a gear but never really created chances. Better in game management will allow us to see the games out.

marlowe78

Another game where it seems Louis hasn't learned certain things. It was bad enough that De Gea was taken off, why put Blackett on when you can play McNair as a CB and moves Jones out to cover the left?

Blackett has not done a single thing in the 2nd half of this season to justify him coming into a major game like that. We saw the exact same crap pulled against Southampton. LVG's preoccupation with having the right-footed players and his persistence in doing certain things makes me wonder how many points we'd drop even if we constructed the right team.

RVP was another poor substitution. Arsenal were pressing so far forward that there were tons of space for ADM and/or Wilson to run through and NEITHER of them came on.

Of course, we should've taken advantage of the chances we had in the first half. Falcao had a better game than usual but he again didn't deliver on what he's paid to do. Young was immense and Valencia had a pretty good game on the right. Herrera and Mata are still a superb pairing.

Defensively, I thought Smalling was excellent but I'm wondering what role the captain plays in how sloppy we were in the 2nd half. Rojo made some important breakups, even if he was poor with the ball. Jones I thought was awful and his usual chaotic self.

The players IMO from today who need to go this summer: Falcao, RVP, Valencia, and Jones. Valdes was thrown in at the deep end but how many of you think De Gea would've found a way to save that?

Shit result in a shit season.

Walters_19_MuFc

Ahhh. Horrible to concede a goal like that, especially as we were the better team on the whole, in my opinion.

First half we bossed the game. Had variation to our play and created chances. Second half, although Arsenal were better than they were in the first, I always felt we were in control of the game. Unfortunately, an injury to De Gea and lack of fitness of Rojo, who I thought was excellent, considering how long he's been out, unsettled the whole team.

People talk about our defence and midfield, and by no means is it perfect, but I feel we need to be a bit more ruthless up top. We got into good areas throughout the whole game but unfortunately we were unable to capitalise, which was important when we were dominating the game.

Overall, I'd say i'm pretty happy, though. We have now bossed the likes of Arsenal, City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs. I personally don't think we need a massive overhaul next season. A few changes to the starting XI and squad and I think we're set for next season.

Will Singh

We should have won this, we are not shooting enough which was frustrating.

When we make subs it's like we are a different team. De Gea and Rojo spudded each other then next minute there being subbed which was baffling, I know De Gea was holding his hip but there was no trying to shake it off he just got subbed...!

Good luck to Falcao who blatantly said bye.

Man of the Match

Ashley Young image Ashley Young 65% of 679 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 463 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw