PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Arsenal

Post-match discussion

Sun, 29 April 2018

togg

I suppose it's quite an achievement to play such bland, uninspiring, mistake-ridden football and still (most likely) come second. I'm sure that irritates Klopp and Poch!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I suppose it's quite an achievement to play such bland, uninspiring, mistake-ridden football and still (most likely) come second. I'm sure that irritates Klopp and Poch!
For sure. Although we all accepted that we basically threw away a load of points in the league once we decided the Europa was our focus. So we have to accept that the same is likely true for Liverpool.

Jacko21

Was surprised to see so many fans leaving from the 85th minute onwards. I want to put that down to it being an end-of-season, largely irrelevant fixture because otherwise it perhaps points to a little dissatisfaction at the way in which we're performing in our home games.

We desperately need to be in a title race next season. Old Trafford is just too quiet.

Ban

That game basically summed up the whole season for me. Another good result against one of the “top” teams. We’ve now beaten Arsenal (twice), Man City, Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea; every member of the top six beaten and that highlights our progress this season. It also solidified our spot in second, which takes us from sixth last year. Again, sure signs of progress. We’re also in another cup final with the chance to win our 3rd trophy in two seasons under Jose which would be quite the achievement.

However.

The game was fecking grim. I know it had nothing on it, but this wasn’t a one off. Our attack is stunted, we’re way too narrow, our fullbacks are a waste of time in an attacking sense and i genuinely can’t remember the last time we had some overlaps on the wings. We’re static up front and lack so much movement; we have no pattern to our game. The huge swing in performances form one week to another in this team is so stark. Thought we played well last week after Spurs had their little spell. Defended well but also counter attacked well. But a good performance is normally followed by a poor one. We haven’t got the ability to push on. It’s like the previous performance didn’t happen and we’re starting afresh each time. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. And that basically sums up the season.

There’s definitely a mentality issue - the players admitted it themselves. When i say mentality, i specifically talking about our inconsistencies. I know we’ve come from behind a few times this season which is obviously a positive but, again, I’m talking about our inability to build on good performances and perform at a consistent level. Anyway, onwards and upwards to the final!
Do you think buying some new players, mainly 2 new FBs cause FB situation is grim to say the least, will help the cause somehow?

Same question to @Pogue Mahone

Last edited:

Marcky411

Can't believe how far we have sunk when I read a lot of the comments, talking like second place is like a trophy, but then again so has Jose since January talking like second is some great achievement. It doesn't matter if you end second, third or fourth, you have won nothing, all that offers is a chance to play CL.
When we lost the league to City on goal difference on the last day of the season, not once did I hear Fergie refer to coming second as an achievement. Then we were second only by goal difference, now we are second with a 15 point difference and we are satisfied with progress we are making.

We always used to mock Liverpool and Arsenal about treating top 4 like a trophy and now under Jose we are doing the same.

Marcky411

Sanchez has shown a huge improvement for us in recent weeks - and hopefully will be primed and bang-on ready for next season with no World Cup to drain him and much-needed rest that he deserves.

But what's going on with him down the right hand side when attacking subs like Rashford/Martial etc are made and we start chasing the game - and look for BOTH sides to offer us an outlet in terms of threat and penetration? He looks lost and impotent to me (perhaps with only Valencia as his handyman) - and all our threat and trouble seems to come from the left.

You could say we've simply got more players who offer a threat down there (and naturally gravitate there) - Young, Pogba, Martial, Rashford - but it just seems a trend that when we're chasing a game, he just can't seem to get going and doesn't have the intensity and threat that he has in the middle and on the left.

Maybe he simply isn't getting enough of the ball when we've got the subs on, which is fine. But there's a distinct lack of quality there too.

Hopefully, he'll adopt better next season.
:houllier: :confused:

crossy1686

career ending
Can't believe how far we have sunk when I read a lot of the comments, talking like second place is like a trophy, but then again so has Jose since January talking like second is some great achievement. It doesn't matter if you end second, third or fourth, you have won nothing, all that offers is a chance to play CL.
When we lost the league to City on goal difference on the last day of the season, not once did I hear Fergie refer to coming second as an achievement. Then we were second only by goal difference, now we are second with a 15 point difference and we are satisfied with progress we are making.

We always used to mock Liverpool and Arsenal about treating top 4 like a trophy and now under Jose we are doing the same.
You're comparing apples and oranges.

We've been the 6th best team in the PL for the last 4 seasons and now we're about to finish second. No one's asking for a open top bus to start making it's way through the town centre, people are excited about the platform this gives us to build upon next season. If we didn't finish in the top two this season people would be complaining about the lack of progression, so you just can't win.

I'm sure if Jose had taken over from Fergie and we'd not allowed Moyes and LVG to decimate the squad, we'd not even have to have this conversation about getting back to where we belong. Fact of the matter is, we've still got some way to go but at least we're on track. If people can't be happy about that because we didn't win the league or the CL then what's the point in getting out of bed in the morning?

Marcky411

We've been the 6th best team in the PL for the last 4 seasons and now we're about to finish second. No one's asking for a open top bus to start making it's way through the town centre, people are excited about the platform this gives us to build upon next season. If we didn't finish in the top two this season people would be complaining about the lack of progression, so you just can't win.

I'm sure if Jose had taken over from Fergie and we'd not allowed Moyes and LVG to decimate the squad, we'd not even have to have this conversation about getting back to where we belong. Fact of the matter is, we've still got some way to go but at least we're on track. If people can't be happy about that because we didn't win the league or the CL then what's the point in getting out of bed in the morning?
Not quite

Moyes - 7th
LvG - 4th first season
LvG - 5th second season (goal diff)
JM - 6th
JM - 2nd

So instead of talking about this amazing progression from 6th to 2nd, we actually went from 4th to 2nd(300 mil further), it was Jose who dragged us down to 6th in the first place.
I really hope we do challenge next season but if we carry on playing the way we are now, we will be lucky to finish with a Top 4 position.

Djemba-Djemba

Hard to understand why. The fact our players run less than those at other clubs should - in theory - keep them fresh. Well that hasn’t happened.
I think as the season goes on and the games become more important he reverts to type and so we go into an incredibly defensive shell.

If we had Sevilla in our Champions League group no chance would we have approached both games like that, but because it was a knockout he went all negative.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think as the season goes on and the games become more important he reverts to type and so we go into an incredibly defensive shell.

If we had Sevilla in our Champions League group no chance would we have approached both games like that, but because it was a knockout he went all negative.
That kind of makes sense but yesterday’s game was about as unimportant as this fixture gets. Be interesting to see if the brakes come off once second place is locked down.

Full bodied red

Not quite

Moyes - 7th
LvG - 4th first season
LvG - 5th second season (goal diff)
JM - 6th
JM - 2nd

So instead of talking about this amazing progression from 6th to 2nd, we actually went from 4th to 2nd(300 mil further), it was Jose who dragged us down to 6th in the first place.
I really hope we do challenge next season but if we carry on playing the way we are now, we will be lucky to finish with a Top 4 position.

So which three clubs do you believe are going to finish above us next season ? And why ?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Good result but the motivation seemed at a similar level to West Brom. Let's face it our players know the league is done now City are champions, basically know second is secured, and they are playing within themselves. They have no desire to get injured before the FA Cup (and I'd add the World Cup for many of them). The focus is badly off.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Do you think buying some new players, mainly 2 new FBs cause FB situation is grim to say the least, will help the cause somehow?

Same question to @Pogue Mahone
Buying new full backs is a must and will no doubt improve us. However, i'm not sure by how much exactly. I say this because i think a lot of the problems i highlighted above (lack of width from no overlaps) may have something to do with managers orders.

We just don't see it anymore. Now i know the full backs aren't great, but surely you would still attempt it to bring some width into our game. And it's happening so consistently that i can only presume that the manager would prefer his full backs not to get too giddy when it comes to the attacking side of things. It surely can't be the full backs being too lazy or unable to do it.

You see it so often when one of our wingers get the ball and the full back will just hang back. Of course there are occasions when they will make a run, but those are very rare occurrences.

RedDevil@84

I was watching it on a stream from BEIN sports. The commentator's first reaction to the Pogba goal was
"Money money money", he then followed it up by saying something about big money getting you big players for the big occasion. But looked more like a cover-up on his original comment.

He also suggested Lingard was looking to fall when Xhaka fouled him from behind

Hughie77

Played like a testimonial. But it's a win. Take it move on to next game. Cup final is on everyone's mind I think. Win that and a good season.

ChaddyP

and especially Tim Sherwood

Jeffthered

Great post.

Eire Red United

2nd may not be a massive achievement, but is good progress when in the last few years we have finished 7th, 4th, 5th and 6th. Only for City having an exceptional year we would be in a title race for the first time in quite a few years, so I think our league form this year is definitely something to praise Jose for especially our record against the top 6 in the last few months.

el3mel

You're inventing things out of your mind. No one is treating second as a an achievement.

Water Melon

Second place being 16 points behind city having scored 35 goals less and having conceded 1 goal more in the prem alone. Zero intrigue since December, toothless in the first round against a decent CL opposition. Praying for Pool to not win the CL, dreaming of FA cup as a trophy to show progress. With all our spending and a genius of a manager, we are at the level of Chelseas, Spurs and Gunners of this world. Yet to reach the level of top teams. A "Meh" season, with last game won against a "meh" team. Not sure if there is enough progress.

redmanx

I agree, Moyes and Van Ghastly were terrible appointments, Jose should have been hired as soon as SAF announced he was retiring, we're now playing catch up but slowly we're getting there and next season, though we may not win the Prem, we'll give City a real run for their money. The days of struggling to finish in the top 4 are behind us and Im sure we'll soon be celebrating our 14th Prem Title.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I agree, Moyes and Van Ghastly were terrible appointments, Jose should have been hired as soon as SAF announced he was retiring, we're now playing catch up but slowly we're getting there and next season, though we may not win the Prem, we'll give City a real run for their money. The days of struggling to finish in the top 4 are behind us and Im sure we'll soon be celebrating our 14th Prem Title.
Don't pull @GhastlyHun in this discussion

Sparky Rhiwabon

I was watching it on a stream from BEIN sports. The commentator's first reaction to the Pogba goal was
"Money money money", he then followed it up by saying something about big money getting you big players for the big occasion. But looked more like a cover-up on his original comment.

He also suggested Lingard was looking to fall when Xhaka fouled him from behind
To be fair, Pep has had to manage on a shoestring.

Acole9

Outstanding
Can't believe the amount of negativity, we won. No one is going to remember what the game was like in a few years. We used to pride ourselves on last minute winners.

The performance wasn't the best, I know that. I think some of the players just thought they'd have to turn up. Arsenal weren't that bad at all.

Our corner routines are a joke, they very rarely beat the first man. Also more needless back passing, Herrera and Valencia do this constantly, so bloody lazy.

Marcky411

Can't believe the amount of negativity, we won. No one is going to remember what the game was like in a few years. We used to pride ourselves on last minute winners.

The performance wasn't the best, I know that. I think some of the players just thought they'd have to turn up. Arsenal weren't that bad at all.

Our corner routines are a joke, they very rarely beat the first man. Also more needless back passing, Herrera and Valencia do this constantly, so bloody lazy.
You are quite right, normally everybody is over the moon with a last minute winner. I too have been negative as the performance was awful most of the game. I can't speak for others but for me personally what gets me the most, I am all pumped up before the game and get frustrated by what I see out on the pitch. I understand you cannot go through the season like City have and I don't mind if we had an awful performances every now and then but most our performances are awful with the odd good 45 min performance here and there. It's as if the team is taunting you by once in a blue moon letting you see what they are really capable of, like the City game in the second half.
I would really like to see us put in a good performance for 90 min and not just for 30-45 min at a time.

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 327 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 2:0 Arsenal
  • 17% Man Utd 3:1 Arsenal