PL L FA Premier League

Arsenal 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 10 March 2019

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We were going to have a bad day sooner or later. The slow start can be forgiven after Wednesday and wouldn't have been a disaster without the silly soft goal. Then we had a spell where we were quite good leading up to half time.

My main concern would be the second half and our tactical set up. We didn't put a single constructive attacking move together in the seconf half. Instead our players were just running towards the Arsenal goal and trying to run through Arsenal in the process. Time and time again.

We were too open in the middle due to our silly diamond formation (which we for some completely baffling reason reverted back to after half time), so whenever we lost the ball, which was all the time due to our complete lack of composure, Arsenal could just knock it straight up to their forwards with absolutely no obstruction. The second half was an absolute mess.

Players having an off day isn't so alarming, but losing their heads and abandoning any attempt at team play in favour of sheer panic is a bit of a concern. Persisting with a formation and tactical set up that isn't working, even after you had to change it during the first half, due to it not working, is just plain bizarre. You set up a team to play to its strengths...we are starting to get back into a habit of doing the opposite.

moodyred

They took their chances well and hence were the better team. We lack sharpness in front of the goal, especially Rashford. We could have done much better.

A blip in our quest for top 4, but it ain't over till the fat lady sings. On to the next game!

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Watched again.

My view now

1) we had the better chances
2) we should have won
3) matic, pogba and rashford were awful
4) we really missed Herrera and lingard.
5) No one is mentioning that Arsenal were actually 11 points ahead when Ole took the wheel.

goin4glory

Most aspects of the game have been fairly well covered. DDG makes a howler but he's DDG so we just live with it. Penalty decision was horrendous and Lukaku missed 3 sitters. But there's a wider problem with our overall performance and it's how badly we struggle to build the game up especially from the back. We can't make good passes into midfield and have zero ideas on ways to develop the game and it becomes even more noticeable vs teams with a good press like Arsenal for the first half today.

Mourinho tried to fix this by bringing in Lindelof as a ball playing CB and Fred as a press resistant CM but Lindelof is out of position on his left side and Fred has barely kicked a ball all season. No surprise to me he was our best midfielder in a game like this whereas Matic was exposed badly.

The most disappointing aspect was how badly Lukaku/Rashford performed. Both of them should have been licking their lips at the prospect of THAT Arsenal defence playing a high line and leaving lots of space in behind but both were awful.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
They took their chances well and hence were the better team. We lack sharpness in front of the goal, especially Rashford. We could have done much better.

A blip in our quest for top 4, but it ain't over till the fat lady sings. On to the next game!
I'm confused. I'm not going to say they were awful, but the two goals they scored today were gifts from De Gea and Moss.

Xyx

Supports
Arsenal
Don’t understand how Arsenal are suddenly a terrible team not likely to get top four simply because of the performance in this match. We were missing Torreira and utterly outclassed Spurs a week ago. Not to mention the performance against Chelsea a couple of months back. Specifically mentioning those two teams because I read a comment expressing disbelief at the idea of us finishing above them.

redmanx

We were going to have a bad day sooner or later. The slow start can be forgiven after Wednesday and wouldn't have been a disaster without the silly soft goal. Then we had a spell where we were quite good leading up to half time.

My main concern would be the second half and our tactical set up. We didn't put a single constructive attacking move together in the seconf half. Instead our players were just running towards the Arsenal goal and trying to run through Arsenal in the process. Time and time again.

We were too open in the middle due to our silly diamond formation (which we for some completely baffling reason reverted back to after half time), so whenever we lost the ball, which was all the time due to our complete lack of composure, Arsenal could just knock it straight up to their forwards with absolutely no obstruction. The second half was an absolute mess.

Players having an off day isn't so alarming, but losing their heads and abandoning any attempt at team play in favour of sheer panic is a bit of a concern. Persisting with a formation and tactical set up that isn't working, even after you had to change it during the first half, due to it not working, is just plain bizarre. You set up a team to play to its strengths...we are starting to get back into a habit of doing the opposite.
If we had simply given up & stopped trying I would be worried, but that wasn't the case. For most of the match we outplayed Arsenal, had as many shots and the better chances, unfortunately lady luck was not with us today and chances went begging, they had a freakish first goal then a dubious penalty. It happens. The important thing is that we respond to this and go on to claim a top 4 spot and maybe cup glories too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Just noticed Ozil’s tweet: ‘Dancefloor huh?’. Fair play to him, shame Jesse wasn’t there today, he would have put one away and then who knows what today’s dance would have been?!

CherryBoy

The way this run-in is going, we may end up with the freakish occurrence of six English teams in the CL next season.

Canagel

We were very well on top 2nd half. Created a chance for Lukaku which got saved and free kick in good position I recall. Up until the dubious penalty we were very good but their goal knocked the wind out of our sails.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Arsenal deserved it. I'm not so much annoyed about losing but kinda more annoyed we didn't take advantage of Spurs and Chelsea dropping points, which in a way ironically made the lost not so bad.

Steerpike

We lost a fairly even contest 2-0 courtesy of a freak goal and a soft penalty, coupled with some less than incisive finishing on our part.

De Gea had a very average game, Lindelof looked ill at ease throughout, Matic looked off the pace, Pogba was initially anonymous then ineffective, Fred was mercurial, Dalot lacked end product with his final ball, Rashford wasn't at his sharpest, and Lukaku was wasteful.

Young was very solid defensively, but offered little going forward (though Lindelof's struggles may have been a contributory factor).

Shaw and Smalling were the two players to emerge with credit, the latter particularly as he had to compensate for his defensive partner.

This was always going to be a difficult game and, though defeat is disappointing, other results have somewhat softened the blow.

LeftyBlaster

I’m actually not too upset aside from the fact we gave up 4th spot and blew a chance to catch Spurs.

We had way too many chances that we really should have put away. De Gea had a shocker and we had a shit penalty given against us. We’ll make it up.

Redpimp

Dont think we gonna make top 4 now. We are running out of games fast. Arsenal have much easier fixtures than us!

slir32

Just noticed Ozil’s tweet: ‘Dancefloor huh?’. Fair play to him, shame Jesse wasn’t there today, he would have put one away and then who knows what today’s dance would have been?!
It will be a dance floor next season. Could you imaging Ole next season with a transfer budget of 200m?

moodyred

I'm confused. I'm not going to say they were awful, but the two goals they scored today were gifts from De Gea and Moss.
We had many off target attempts and good chances which we could not convert. That first goal had a swerve which I think beat DeGea. I am not sure if it's entirely DeGea fault. I thought arsenal also defended well, hence if you look at it overall, they were better.

There was a post earlier about us not dominating games. My view is that if you dominate and still lose the game, it counts to nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I rather see us lose the game 2 nil playing the attacking style as we did last night, then parking the bus. If a couple of players had stepped up a notch, we could have won.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It will be a dance floor next season. Could you imaging Ole next season with a transfer budget of 200m?
Everyone will move forward, not only us. Arsenal should theoretically be better too, but I agree that I expect us to be well in the title race.

Aziz2112

Albeit 'one of those days', however, I don't understand why Ole went with 433 over his usual 4312 diamond with Pereira usually at CAM. Worked against PSG away, Chelsea away, and Arsenal away. Although it's not our first choice midfield, Matic straight back from injury disrupted the system when playing McTominay could've given far more energy, especially when playing against Auba and Lacazette. Benching both McTominay and Andreas wasn't too smart imo, but I'm open to any discussion about it.
On the more positive side, Ole's still at the wheel! Hopefully we go to Wolves, get a result, and in the 2-week gap we can get our players back.

Will Singh

That's bought us right back down to earth after PSG. We were shit and they were OK, they took there chances and we Lukaku'd ours. Rashford, Pogba and Matic were dog shit. Can't blame De Gea for that goal as it was a freak of nature. I'm salty as feck and kept away from social media in case the police knocks on my door, those Arsenal fans are fecking delusional.

We will still get top 4 IMO this is just a blip from that gigantic win at PSG!

ship50

We did not take our chances. Still, I'm hopeful about a top 4 finish. Now is the time for Ole to lift the team and get back to the winning way.

nokoya

Typical United under old time SAF, lose after astounding match.

We are unlucky;
1. Poor Ref
2. Hit the post few
3. Soft Penalty
4. De Gea seems lack of concentration, he need to know he isn't unchangeable.

Shimo

Think rushing him back too soon,like Lingard,springs to mind. It was sensible;long warm up and see how the game was progressing.We didn'tlook like getting anything out of the game tonight and I think everyone on the bench knew it
He threw Martial right after the penalty, so they must have thought something was salvageable. At 1-0, thought we were right in there with a chance. I know it comes across as reacting to the loss but, I was thinking same thing in another game, where I just think he waited too long to bring a sub on to make an impact.

YzWayne

Jose Mourinho was right , our squad is only good enough to compete for top 4 , not good enough for title challenger.
That is because he was in charge. Based on Ole form. We will be right up there with city and Liverpool had he taken the wheel from the start of the season.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I didn't realise that Ozil was playing 'til his substitution was announced.

Relfy

No need for any rash reactions. The run we have been on since Ole came in has been nothing short of incredible, and to think we could still finish 3rd is a miracle.

Arsenal took their chances and we didn't. We were better 2nd half but just short. It's been a long month or so with Chelsea, Liverpool and PSG x 2. We have a week now to rest and get a few lads back up to speed. Let's regroup, work hard this week and continue from the previous form and finish the season strongly.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Most aspects of the game have been fairly well covered. DDG makes a howler but he's DDG so we just live with it. Penalty decision was horrendous and Lukaku missed 3 sitters. But there's a wider problem with our overall performance and it's how badly we struggle to build the game up especially from the back. We can't make good passes into midfield and have zero ideas on ways to develop the game and it becomes even more noticeable vs teams with a good press like Arsenal for the first half today.

Mourinho tried to fix this by bringing in Lindelof as a ball playing CB and Fred as a press resistant CM but Lindelof is out of position on his left side and Fred has barely kicked a ball all season. No surprise to me he was our best midfielder in a game like this whereas Matic was exposed badly.

The most disappointing aspect was how badly Lukaku/Rashford performed. Both of them should have been licking their lips at the prospect of THAT Arsenal defence playing a high line and leaving lots of space in behind but both were awful.
Lindelof was a RCB on second half, and still couldn't do much. And it's not the build up from the back is the main problem, but when midfield and attack got the ball, they fecked it up so many times. Giving possession after possession, or just running like a madman into several Arse players. And with attackers keep fecking up on easy chances.

Last edited:

Nirv

In all honesty, I’m unable to comprehend some comments here slating the team’s performance, moreso the ones trying to make Fred the scrap goat.

Granted, some players do look mentally fatigued which is understandable, but overall performance taking into account what the team have gone through recently cannot be understated and genuinely a decent performance barring the unlucky result.

This is all part and parcel of football, freakish deflections (or wind) wrong footing the gk, dubious penalty decisions by the ref are things which we have benefited from in the past as well.

What matters now is we can learn from this and pick ourselves up again. I have to give Fred credit as well, it has not been easy for him with critics scrutinizing every detail of his play, and he has worked his socks off to justify his place here.

Reactions: SteveJ

Untied

Everyone will move forward, not only us. Arsenal should theoretically be better too, but I agree that I expect us to be well in the title race.
Arsenal are losing their best player again

slir32

I agree but Spurs and Arsenal are not going to spend 200m. We will be ahead of Arsenal next season and i cannot wait to see the Lingard show at the emirates.

Fracture90

Dont think it is that simple.
Why not? They know they're not facing any top6 opponents this season, they're 2 points clear and they hold their fate in their own hands reward for which would be CL football next season.

gr3yham3

Why not? They know they're not facing any top6 opponents this season, they're 2 points clear and they hold their fate in their own hands reward for which would be CL football next season.
Let's see how things go. Top 6 opponents or not does no really matter, especially in the EPL today. They should be more worried about their away form. As for ourselves, we always liked making things difficult for ourselves, and it's up to Ole and the team to respond and bounce back strongly. I hope that in the case of us missing the top 4, the board still sees the obvious logic and hire Ole as full-time manager.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
For those blaming DeGea and describing it as a howler. Is he god? That ball swerved and nobody would have caught it.

Lukaku, I was generous with my review. He deserves a 2. The tap in in first half has to go in. We score there and a different game. Fred was not bad but he did try some Hollywood passes that ended up terribly. Pogba was anonymous.

The bounces just didn’t go our way and Arsenal had an excellent defensive game. Typical to come out flat after a emotionally draining game in Paris. Credit for Arsenal stepping up when their back to the wall.
I love Dave, but that was a rookie mistake. Moving towards the left corner before he saw where the shot was going was foolish

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He threw Martial right after the penalty, so they must have thought something was salvageable. At 1-0, thought we were right in there with a chance. I know it comes across as reacting to the loss but, I was thinking same thing in another game, where I just think he waited too long to bring a sub on to make an impact.
Mate, that's only our second loss under him...come on!

Verbalkint

Some absolutely shite performances out there.

Matic, Pogba, Rashford, Fred all horrendous. Lukaku spunked all his chances. Dalot, Shaw and Young all so wasteful and showing no composure in Arsenal's half. De Gea with an absolute howler. Lindelof all over the place. Honestly not a single good performance out there.

And especially annoying because even with everyone playing so shite you can see how poor Arsenal are and how easily we could have beaten them had we been at the races. Really poor decisions from Ole as well, in the initial lineup and in being stupidly slow in making changes in the second half. Fred and Rashford shouldn't have been on the pitch after the 60th minute.
Fred was not horrendous at all. Worked his ass off and won back the ball numerous times. Unlucky to not have scored. Ease up on the criticism, mate.

Having said that, most of your post is bang on. How we managed to lose to this lot i don't know. Ole should have subbed Rashford off at HT too. Anyway, it's done and there's nothing we can do but support the team for the rest of the season.

SSSSnake

Matic frustrates me more then Fred. At least Fred got about the pitch with purpose. Matic just slowed down play and took too many touches allowing Arsenal to press. I can’t go in too hard as it’s his first game back from injury.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
DDG error, ref pen, Lukaku misses. Coupled with some very poor performances thrown in (Lindelof, Rashford, Pogba, Dalot, Fred?)...shit happens.

How we respond to this defeat is what matters though.

steakpie

Btw, I didn't read past that... because I knew how fecking daft the rest of your opinion must be.

De Gea makes a mistake that's like any other mistake anyone would make and then he doesn't save a penalty which you blame him for?

You are the worst poster I've ever come across -- hands down.

De Gea never saves penalties though, for a keeper of his agility and shot stopping, he never seems to save penalties. I still wouldn't swap him for anyone else.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 469 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Arsenal 1:3 Man Utd