PL L FA Premier League

Arsenal 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 03 September 2023

Ted Lasso

Oh feck off with this magnanimous dogshite. The bEtTeR tEaM doesn't always win matches because key decisions have key impact. That was an insane VAR overturn of the Garnacho goal. He is clearly onside by a ball-playing part of the defender. You can't even side with the nuance technicalities it's by the fecking book onside. That Hojlund take down is a fecking penalty.

BeltUp

Supports
United
Best performance of the season with much improvement. Unlucky to not get a draw and everything went against us today.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I haven’t watched the game yet. Any positives? Sounds like we played better in the second half?
Lots … Rashford at the end of a classic counter… Garnacho too… Dalot brilliant. Most played well … despite injuries despite being in one of our toughest away fixtures

glasgow 21

Deserved to lose. We have regressed since last season. Nothing much more to say than that really.
Good, regressed as in not having players available through injury or in general. I def don't like the Newcastle look if thats what your meaning.

Superden

Theres so much doom and gloom, I actually thought we did ok considering the opposition.

JediSith

Arsenal were the better team and deserved the victory. However, I saw a lot of good things and I'm looking forward the the next match.

- Hojlund will be a big help when he starts. I was very impressed with his physicality, his awareness (that flick), and speed.
- Antony was very good for most of the match. We need him to come good.
- Rashford is back to his old self on the left.
- AWB did very well again Martinelli
- If Amrabat can contribute right away we are going to be a tough team to beat.
Great analysis. While this wasn’t a great performance, it was a performance with a lot of positives. But finishing with Maguire and Evans as CB is nightmare inducing.

Hojlund made an immediate and noticeable difference. Our defence was solid, but the injury to Martinez is concerning.

We looked good on the quick transition.

I think the manager & fans, including myself, who were looking for a change of style with the signing of Onana will have to acknowledge that United will still have to play more like last season because we don’t have the players. Maybe Amrabat and Mount (when his fit and on form) changes that or at the very least should add more players who can control the ball, pass it around and keep possession. But don’t expect it and we could end up being positively surprised in 2-3 months.

macheda14

I haven’t watched the game yet. Any positives? Sounds like we played better in the second half?
I personally came away sick in how we lost, but confident we can turn a corner. The second half specifically when Højlund came on had a lot to be hopeful for. He looks a handful, our pressing was better, our build up through Onana is great - he is just so calm in the ball it’s crazy. Dalot looked very good.

The biggest issue obviously being ending the game with Evans and Maguire. But I think brining Amrabat into the squad will also give us so many options in a first 11 as well as being able to bring someone else to firm up the midfield.

pauldyson1uk

Another amen to that and it wasn't the performance, it was the feeling we got screwed over, more fecking injuries, leaving us with Maguire and sicknote Evans. Sancho and his attitude problems. Gary Neville I am starting to dislike him intensely. Even more anger inducing is the owners.
Exactly , thought we actually played ok and deserved a draw at very least, well untill Evans and Co came on.Sancho along with Magiure need to go, WTF is Evan’s even in the squad for. Neville is dead to me , I don’t hate many but he is close to top of my list. To go from winning 2-1 to losing 3-1 was kick in the guts

Oranges038

People saying we played well today - what are you on about? This is embarrassing. This is Manchester United we are talking about here. Sitting back and hitting on the counter should not be acceptable. I wanted to be patient with EtH, but I’m sorry, i just don’t see it. There’s absolutely nothing. No press, no possession, no attacking pattern, nothing. Where is the style of play promised? This is just Ole’s United, just more expensive..massively disappointed.
That being said, Arsenal are hugely overrated, they won’t win a thing this year, so at least there’s that i guess.
You do realise that this exaclty how SAF usually beat Arsenal under Wenger when UTD were a much better team.

The approach to todays game was fine and but for some horrendous officiating Utd would have been 2 one up on 88 mins. Even with Maguire and Evans at the back.

But because of even worse officiating they then found themselves 2-1 down instead.

The third goal is a piece of shit, but that can happen when you go after a draw.

glasgow 21

Arsenal were the better team and deserved the victory. However, I saw a lot of good things and I'm looking forward the the next match.

- Hojlund will be a big help when he starts. I was very impressed with his physicality, his awareness (that flick), and speed.
- Antony was very good for most of the match. We need him to come good.
- Rashford is back to his old self on the left.
- AWB did very well again Martinelli
- If Amrabat can contribute right away we are going to be a tough team to beat.
Good points . We need our best players back and fit. AWB is class against all top left wing/strikers folk just have to admit he neutralises them.

DanielofLeyland

I was happy with our performance. I felt we played with the acceptance that Arsenal would be more creative and pose more dangerous opportunities than we would and we would have to be parient. We defended like Trojans during most of the game and nullified Arsenal quite effectively. Arsenal only really broke our defensive shape twice. Unfortunately one of those led to the goal 30 seconds after our own and the other was when Saka shot straight at Onana. Their second goal taking a wicked deflection and deceiving Onana and the third being when we had pushed forward to try and gain an equaliser really shouldn't discredit a positive defensive performance.

We still lack the killer edge when transitioning from defence to attack. The one time we did it perfectly today we scored. Hopefully with Hojlund starting next week we will do away with relying on Martial (who is hopeless) and can build on this performance.

If Arsenal think this is a serious statement of their title credentials they are sorely mistaken. There was nothing particularly special about them today and on another day they could have been beaten against a United side with injury problems and no real striker. I'm sure Arsenal will improve but they need to be more ruthless than they were today IMO.

Glorio

Wasn't great with Evans and Maguire needing to come on - that duo conceded 3 versus Burnley in a closed doors game, no surprise they struggled really

Rusholme Ruffian

Fair enough but if anything that shows a worrying lack of depth. If I were a Manchester United fan I would be dreading seeing them even named on the bench. You’re a top side and they aren’t good enough to be part of your squad.
Believe me, I think United fans understand Harry Maguire's limitations more than most, but you are talking about our 5th and 6th choice centre-backs here. It's a bit of a freakish set of circumstances that have led to this.

Cpt Negative

Oh give over with this Fergie nonsense. When are we going to move on? This was over 10 years ago. Serious clubs do not accept this style of play, period. I guess too many years under these cretins Glazers have lowered the standards too much..
Not at all. Counter attacking is the best tactic to beat Arsenal - it has for 20 years. I’m not saying we should play like that every game against other teams - but it does well against them

Wazzaduke33

You're looking at the wrong time frame. The thing to focus on is that we looked miles better than even last season away to Arsenal. This time last year we were hanging on for most of the second half, whereas here we looked dangerous right until the end, had a winner disallowed for a contentious offside, and they scored from a corner with a foul on Evans and a huge deflection.
Arsenal aren’t playing aswell as they were when the beat us 3-1 in the corresponding fixture last year, I thought they were poor today and there for the taking. Same result at the end of the day

Hoof the ball

This is where Rashford's decision making often lets him down. He looks for the same type of passes. He's trying to find Hojlund the other side of the defender, but he doesn't lift his head to contemplate dropping it right inside for Hojlund, who only has to make the simple pass to put Garnacho through one on one with the keeper.

This is what stops Marcus from moving from a top class striker to a world class one. He just can't correct that part of his game, and likely never will.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I watched the first half an hour and I thought we looked horrific in possession. LVG flashbacks. Going absolutely nowhere.

Shame Garnacho was off for that lovely smash and grab finish, for them to score in the 50th minute of added time.

HaliRed

That was a tough loss. Quite an even match, with not many chances on either end, and I think a draw woud have been a fair result but that's football.

I thought Dalot did very well and controlled Saka quite well. Eriksen played well also. Lindelof, Antony, Hojlund all put in great shifts. I love the calmness and passing of Onana.

Bruno, Martial and Case anonymous though, as was Rashford aside from the goal.

Wan-Bissaka did not play well. I was worried about Dalot, but most of their opportunities came down the Arsenal left.

In the end, considering our injuries, it was a good showing. We will be a different prospect with an actual 9 on the pitch moving forward.

Eddy_JukeZ

Brutal loss.

I just don't get how no one gets out to Rice. He had far too much time. Not really buying Evans getting his shirt pulled(unless I missed an angle where it was blatant).

Denis79

Much improved compared to our previous games this season. We weren't great but certainly didn't deserve to lose this one, 1-1 would have been fair.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
You do realise that this exaclty how SAF usually beat Arsenal under Wenger when UTD were a much better team.

The approach to todays game was fine and but for some horrendous officiating Utd would have been 2 one up on 88 mins. Even with Maguire and Evans at the back.

But because of even worse officiating they then found themselves 2-1 down instead.

The third goal is a piece of shit, but that can happen when you go after a draw.
This is largely a myth, most of the earlier matches were end to end. It was a feature of the later matches when Wenger's teams became more possession oriented. It was ok to let them have the ball because they'd do nothing with it.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
This is where Rashford's decision making often lets him down. He looks for the same type of passes. He's trying to find Hojlund the other side of the defender, but he doesn't lift his head to contemplate dropping it right inside for Hojlund, who only has to make the simple pass to put Garnacho through one on one with the keeper.

This is what stops Marcus from moving from a top class striker to a world class one. He just can't correct that part of his game, and likely never will.

I totally agree. As soon as Rashford got the ball and was making this run, deep down I knew he’s about to feck it up. Hojlund had make a great run with a burst of speed similar to a run of his I watched in his Atalanta highlights but this time the passer was Rashford who just doesn’t have the IQ for smart decision-making in these situations.

A City team under Pep in this same situation would’ve easily opened up those defenders and created a simple tap in either for Garnacho from Hojlund if Rashford had passed to Hojlund and/or a pass to Garnacho from Hojlund and then back to Hojlund even. Made the defenders look silly.

But like you said, Rashford only looks for similar passes every time.

I really hope EtH can see these shortcomings and make players like Rashford learn how to diversity their skillset and mindset.

Banana Republic

Prior to the match, with the state of our squad (injuries and new players not being ready or available), like a lot on the Caf, I expected us to lose and possibly worst, be humiliated if Arsenal turned it on.
So, even if the nature of the defeat was gutting and the score line flattering for them, on balance I’m encouraged by our overall performance, in the circumstances.
Trouble is, we’re going to be without so many players for the next few league games and even with injured players gradually coming back, the squad is going to be a bit thin in some areas.

Worryingly, Casemiro still looked tired and leggy from the middle of the first half though.
He looked shot in the final 20 minutes of the 2nd half.
Thankfully Eriksen put in a good shift (apart from the 1st Arsenal goal), but he tired and faded in the final quarter too.
The sooner we get that CM reinforced, the better.

Oranges038

This is largely a myth, most of the earlier matches were end to end. It was a feature of the later matches when Wenger's teams became more possession oriented. It was ok to let them have the ball because they'd do nothing with it.
Not really.

wolvored

Too slow in build up. Onana touched the ball more than any other outfield player, or so it looked. We need an Odegaard in midfield. Someone with energy to bring the ball out. Hopefully Amrabat will put some much needed life into it. Casemiro and Eriksen are starting to play their age. Hopefully Hojlund will be the missing link in attack. Just needs a couple of games under his belt and he looked decent in the half hour he played, but needs feeding. Rashford is too greedy sometimes and he could have put hojlund through with a pass and cross a couple of times.

Banana Republic

Dalot limited Saka for most of the match and prevented him being the threat we know he can be, as did AWB with Martinelli, but across the rest of the team, I lost count of how many physical challenges and tackles we lost throughout the whole game, outside of our own box.
Arsenal players were quicker to the loose ball and evaded most of our lacklustre and weak attempts to take the ball off them.
Amrabat isn’t going to solve that serious problem all on his own.

Irwin99

Evans was going to until his shirt got pulled. 100% foul, goal shouldn’t have stood.
Yeah it's unbelievable really.
Probably was a foul but Dalot and Maguire decide to tuck in centrally as the ball goes to Rice when if one of them moves toward the ball and closes Rice down it's an easy block. The frustrating thing for me is that Rice is allowed to take a touch in our box before getting a pretty meek shot away. It's unlucky with the deflection but still, somebody just get to him. Crap goal to lose a match to and not the first we've conceded this season

croadyman

Concentration found wanting in stoppage time for the second season running. Surrendered the lead far too easily as well. That's exactly the reason we are 6 points behind already

The Hilton

Arsenal aren’t playing aswell as they were when the beat us 3-1 in the corresponding fixture last year, I thought they were poor today and there for the taking. Same result at the end of the day
That doesn't mean there's no progress. We were riding our luck at the Emirates last season, this season we matched them and should have won, and lost due to an obvious foul that led to a deflected goal. There's clearly progress.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves

Yep I was fuming after this play. All that pace just get to the feckin byline and low cross it in or shoot!

C'est Moi Cantona

One thing this game told me is Arsenal won't be winning the league, of course neither will we.

High standards of course, but Arsenal look to have regressed, we could so easily have beaten them. On a more positive note for them they look to have taken a step forward with their over celebrating though.

redmanx

Theres so much doom and gloom, I actually thought we did ok considering the opposition.
Away to Arsenal is never going to be a stroll but we played well and I think we had the edge in the first half. ETH should have brought Rasmus Hojlund on much earlier, in fact I cant see why he didnt start; from the moment he came on he caused problems and in the 30 minutes or so he played delivered more of a threat than Martial has done in ages; surely, after beeing hooked off on the hour mark twice in successive marches Martials time is over...I really hope so. VAR giveth and VAR taketh away but I'll never accept it.

The Irish Connection

Great analysis. While this wasn’t a great performance, it was a performance with a lot of positives. But finishing with Maguire and Evans as CB is nightmare inducing.

Hojlund made an immediate and noticeable difference. Our defence was solid, but the injury to Martinez is concerning.

We looked good on the quick transition.

I think the manager & fans, including myself, who were looking for a change of style with the signing of Onana will have to acknowledge that United will still have to play more like last season because we don’t have the players. Maybe Amrabat and Mount (when his fit and on form) changes that or at the very least should add more players who can control the ball, pass it around and keep possession. But don’t expect it and we could end up being positively surprised in 2-3 months.
I’m looking forward to Hojlund and Amrabat starting and players returning from injury.
Would be nice to get a run of a few months with our full squad healthy.

Ted Lasso

This is where Rashford's decision making often lets him down. He looks for the same type of passes.
Soon as we were in that position I felt the pass was more likely to not come, be mistimed or misplaced. But I think that's less to do with Rashford and more to do with rarely having a true forward busting a lung to make the run to warrant that pass.

I can see Hojlund transforming the team in no time. Heck, the other moment that caught me by pleasant surprise was a throw in that , I forget who, yelled at AWB to not go short and instead lob it to Hojlund who muscled into position and kept it for a decent run of play. Something we've not done before even with Weghorst or Lukaku, who for all his weight more often lost those duels for us

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 293 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 14% Arsenal 3:1 Man Utd
  • 12% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd