PL W FA Premier League

Aston Villa 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Fri, 14 August 2015

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
A second solid 1:0 win for United, not spectacular but they got the job done. Defensively they looked very solid (yes, even with Blind at centre-back!), with Romero not really having a save of note to make.

Going forward there were some encouraging moments, with Memphis looking lively. Ultimately it was Januzaj's first-half goal that made the difference. Hopefully that will kick-start his United career after a stuttering couple of seasons.

Six points out of six, can't complain too much... :p

OneUnited24

I was willing to give us the benefit of the doubt last week, first game of the season against a tough opposition, but tonight was just boring. Still another win which is all that matters...

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Another awful performance from our forwards but three points and top of the table.

The Law of Denis

Lots of positives:

Our fullbacks were both brilliant
Smalling was very solid
Romero reads the game very well and had excellent, accurate distribution
Bastian is the scholes replacement we have looked so long for
Schneiderlin's forward runs and general contributions to the game were much improved since last week
Mata should have had at least another assist to add to his first
Januzaj starts and makes the difference
Even Memphis I thought showed lots of potential, once he it clicks it should be a lot better

Six out of Six points. I'm happy.

Gopher Brown

That was fecking painful at times. We had a good 10 min from about 70-80 min, but dross for the other 80 minutes.

On a positive note, Blind hasn't shown anything to suggest he won't be a success at CB...yet.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
2 games 2 wins 2 clean sheets and we look defensively solid.

Hopefully the attacking play will get better as the players get more in sync.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The entire defence was excellent. We were so much better after Herrera and Schweinsteiger came on. Schneiderlin as well I thought impressed. Rooney and Depay were pretty woeful, Mata not much better. Happy for Januzaj.

VanGaalEra

Excellent away performance!

Away win.

Clean sheet (2 in a row)

2 wins in a row.

Top of the league.

Perfect start to the weekend! Now we can sit back and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Defensively solid. Good performance. Missing it in the forward line, Depay looks tasty but we need Pedro.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Better performance than last week, but our weakness is becoming apparent that we lack productivity in the striking department.

Our defense is godly and if we get a better partner for Smalling, I feel we can achieve the best defense in Europe this season.

Raw

Dull again, but I thought we looked MUCH more solid at the back than against Spurs. Defence and midfield was almost flawless today.

Had Memphis finished off that chance, we'd be feeling more happy about the game. It's an away win regardless, so I'm happy.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
6 points already. Great to get an Away win on the board early.

Minimalist

Solid performance. Just need to replace Rooney in all honesty. Simple as that. We need a better striker to put away the chances we make.

Memphis should have taken his chance but given he's pretty raw I think we can give him a by-ball.

2 Neville's

Good performance from the back four, Schneiderlin impressive as was Basti when he came on. Generally shite in attack but it's three points.

El Zoido

Looked solid again, but really uninspiring up front. Doing enough to pick up the points is great, but it's putting me to sleep.

VanGaalEra

Some credit for LVG, please!

Slightly under the cosh at the start of the second half and the double substitution changed the game (Basti and Ander coming on) and we bossed it from then and dominated.

Judas

Open to offers
Comfortable once those second half subs were made, in fact I was pretty damn happy with how we controlled it from there on.

Rooney's performance was a massive worry though, don't know how anyone could think different. Didn't look at the races at all.

RetroStu

I'm a Rooney supporter but that was probably the worst match i have ever seen him play, literally.

As for the match, it was shite safe football with everyone scared to try anything apart from Depay.
The only bright point for me was Schweinsteiger when he came on. We controlled the game better and every pass he did was forward, a lot of our players could learn from him.

kps88

Was quite happy with that actually. The best you can expect when your main attacking focal point forgets how to play football. We look very hard to beat.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 1058 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Aston Villa 0:2 Man Utd
  • 22% Aston Villa 1:2 Man Utd