PL W FA Premier League

Aston Villa 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 09 July 2020

dalriada

I'm optimistic but wary. We have a first xi that can do a lot of good things already. What seperates City and Liverpool from us is that even when they rest their best players, they have others in reserve that can replicate those performances. If our goal is to be the best, we have to take that into consideration because we cannot play our first xi every game. We have a system ( even though there are people that will claim otherwise). In this system, one midfielder provides support to the defence by dropping into defence and becoming a 3, while the other provides an option( Bruno sometimes) to the Build up back 3 which makes it easy to get the ball into midfield. Both Pogba and Bruno provide good passing options for Matic Macguire and Lindelof because they have good positional awareness. Essentially it gives us a build up shape of 3313. The back 3 being Matic Lindelof and Macguire, the three after that being AWB Pogba and Shaw, the one being Bruno ( who sometimes swaps with Pogba) and the front 3.

When Mctominay plays as a DM, his lack of positional awareness means that he comes deep really late and hence forces Lindelof and Macguire to look for passing options in higher areas of the pitch ( which requires incisive passing) or move it out quickly to AWB or Shaw ( which also requires good passing from all 4). What tends to happen is that Pogba is then force in to fill that void, which prevents him from being in creative positions quick enough ( it's the same thing that happened when he played in a two with Herrera).

In the 8 position, he fails to provide the positional awareness and touch that Pogba or Fernandes can use to provide passing lanes for the build up back 3. Even though AWB and Shaw could shift to a more narrow position to provide that support, a. we ask them to provide width and attacking presence b. neither of them are creative enough to break opposition lines either. This is why our defenders look frustrated when looking for passing options, forcing them to take forever in moving the ball up the pitch or are forced to go back to De Gea who passes long.

These are the primary reasons why we have found it difficult to break down deep deep defences. My problem with this us now is that one injury to Pogba or Matic could lead to that happening again. Even if Mctominay could provide the very basics in regard to the build up, it would allow us to perform in a similar way to the way that we do now.
Yes, replacing Matić, Pogba or Fernandes at the moment upsets a balance we have found that is working very well. McTominay and Fred don't directly replace any of those players, so there is work to be done on either improving aspects of their game, or improving the team so that it can play more than one way (or ultimately replacing the players or enlarging the squad, which is already large). In that respect, City are well ahead of us. Liverpool are a more interesting case, as they don't obviously have the depth of talent on the bench that City have, but have outperformed City by such a large margin this season - partly because of weaknesses at City (who can score goals for fun but have lost games they would be expected to win) and the teams below them. I'm optimistic because I think this is recognised at the club, and Ole and the coaches know - from their days under SAF - that we need to be able to adapt the style of play to the strengths in the squad.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Lots to like at the moment... ability, positive mentality/togetherness and the age of the team.

Tonight's XI : Matic 31, De Gea 29 (fine for a goalie), Maguire and Pogba 27. Then drops to 25 (Lindelof and Bruno), 24 (Shaw and Martial), 22 (Rashford and AWB) and 18 (Greenwood).

There's only Matic that stands out as needing a replacement due to age soonish. Most of the subs young too (bar Ighalo, who'll leave).

Buy 2/3 quality players (CH, Def Mid, winger) at right age/mentality and it'll be a team and squad to seriously challenge again.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Our 'worst' 3-0 win, and yet we still won 3-0 and should have been more.

Happy days!

MikeeMike

Amazing performance.
Embarrassing decision for Penalty. Was VAR in operation? No idea why ref even gave that initally.
Anyway , dominated all through. Epic interplay . Pogba looked hungry.

ColvaleGoa

I want Rashford to score a banger. He is playing well but a goal from open play will really boost his confidence. I think he has gone a little bit in his shell. Need his swagger back.

Spider Wan Bissaka not scoring that header annoyed me more than it should. Southampton will be a good test.

PeteManic

If United don't win at least one cup, it'll be a major disappointment.

Gator Nate

I want Rashford to score a banger. He is playing well but a goal from open play will really boost his confidence. I think he has gone a little bit in his shell. Need his swagger back.

Spider Wan Bissaka not scoring that header annoyed me more than it should. Southampton will be a good test.
Perhaps Ole's first real test. ;)

Agreed on Rashford. Felt sorry for him on that one where Pogba got in the way. It was a great shot. But he is contributing on the field, just not getting the final payoff himself. It's tough, but the goals will come.

MikeeMike

Anyone else think that was a clear pen? The defender sticks out his leg, misses the ball because Bruno was turning with the ball and he trips Bruno from behind. People on here were actually saying that it was a foul to the Villa defender :houllier:
Have you actually watched the slow mo replay. Bruno touches ball back and follows through and boot straight into villa defenders leg.This is the first contact, Bruno boot on defenders leg.
If anyone thinks that is a penalty then i have no words.

Icemav

We are a well oiled machine. 100 goals in all competitions. First team to win 4 consecutive by 3 goals in the PL. 17 games unbeaten.

It's looking alright, ain't it?
I find that amazing. Not that we managed it but that no team ever has done it before. Not this City team. Our 09 and 08 and 99 teams. Chelsea 05. Arsenal's invincibles. Weird quite frankly.

Robertd0803

Fantastic stuff. It was a great feeling knowing that as soon as we scored the game was over. Havent had that in a while.

Cant see anyway out for Villa.

Mr. Meeseeks

Have you actually watched the slow mo replay. Bruno touches ball back and follows through and boot straight into villa defenders leg.This is the first contact, Bruno boot on defenders leg.
So the villa defender is standing upright and never extends his leg to challenge for the ball? I don’t think you watched the same game as me mate.

He missed the ball and got Fernandes. That’s a penalty. It doesn’t matter if some commentator told you otherwise, what happened was a penalty.

El Zoido

Too much drama over this penalty decision. I know it was harsh and they were marginally the better team up until then, but does anyone seriously think we wouldn’t have won this game if not for the penalty. Sure it will have demoralised them, but I really think we would have still won this game comfortably. Villa are so bad.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yes, replacing Matić, Pogba or Fernandes at the moment upsets a balance we have found that is working very well. McTominay and Fred don't directly replace any of those players, so there is work to be done on either improving aspects of their game, or improving the team so that it can play more than one way (or ultimately replacing the players or enlarging the squad, which is already large). In that respect, City are well ahead of us. Liverpool are a more interesting case, as they don't obviously have the depth of talent on the bench that City have, but have outperformed City by such a large margin this season - partly because of weaknesses at City (who can score goals for fun but have lost games they would be expected to win) and the teams below them. I'm optimistic because I think this is recognised at the club, and Ole and the coaches know - from their days under SAF - that we need to be able to adapt the style of play to the strengths in the squad.
This.

That's why we need to curb our enthusiasm for next season. We are at least 1-2 windows away from a sustained challenge.

pacifictheme

Exactly where my do we need mctominay and Fred thread came from. They are not suitable replacements for any of our starting midfield. Bigger issues with the squad but at present they do not fit.

vxlencia

Exactly where my do we need mctominay and Fred thread came from. They are not suitable replacements for any of our starting midfield. Bigger issues with the squad but at present they do not fit.
People are too quick to forget. McTominay & Fred kept Olé in the job with the run of games they played together before COVID-19.They were the catalyst and instrumental with anything good about united before the pause.

In a recent interview Bruno Fernandes was asked how he found playing with Matic & Pogba behind him, and he instead talked up the partnership he had formed with Fred & McT before the break and was complimentary of them.

Also, regarding the impact they have had when coming on. When there are 5 changes of course the rhyme and flow will change and be disrupted. It’s difficult to do any more than they’ve done (been totally fine when coming on)

I think both are more than capable to support the first team and if anything, be potential starters themselves. Matic spot is up for grabs at any time. Only Pogba & Bruno are undroppable.

edcunited1878

McTominay and Fred do fit in the squad. When Pogba was out, Fred was paired with Matic and he was in great form. Fred cannot pass like Pogba or create from deep, really only a few in world football can, but he's made himself a valuable part of the central midfield. McTominay needs to improve, but he's an orthodox central midfielder who is better as an 8 than just a 6.

A true Matic type player and a creative midfielder akin to Bruno, so two central midfielders, one at the top and one at the base, will push out Lingard, Pereria, and Mata. That would be the prime scenario because it would allow United to play the same system and same patterns but with a little less expectation because it's a clear level or two below the trio of Bruno-Pogba-Matic.

If Sancho does come, he can play in Bruno's position and make the final passes in the attacking third. If United get a Matic type player, then Fred or McTominay can be paired with that player with Pogba pushed ahead like he was today. Pogba carrying the ball late in matches up the pitch in space like he did for Rashford is terrifying. He's stretching his legs and driving with the ball, shifting it between the lines and creates chances. He's always had that ability and has shown it on many occasions when United's chasing a game but if he's pushed forward when we're seeing a game out and able to be free, ooof. Look out.

Castia

Crazy how we can stroll through games and still score 3 goals and be unlucky not to score 5. In the past we would have conceded in the first 30 minutes and struggled for an equaliser all game.

MikeeMike

So the villa defender is standing upright and never extends his leg to challenge for the ball? I don’t think you watched the same game as me mate.

He missed the ball and got Fernandes. That’s a penalty. It doesn’t matter if some commentator told you otherwise, what happened was a penalty.
Actually this is why VAR is hated. I am 100% convinced not a pen , and you the other way. I can’t post images but if you pause the video (on this thread)between 39-40 seconds it is clear for me. I cant see any point before Brunos foot lands on defenders calf that its a foul. Unless the defender sliding his leg in and Bruno’s foot landing on it is a Pen?
Mike

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Crazy how we can stroll through games and still score 3 goals and be unlucky not to score 5. In the past we would have conceded in the first 30 minutes and struggled for an equaliser all game.
Sign of a good team that. Winning games when we weren’t at our best. Today first half was prolly the worst since the restart. Couldn’t string two passes together. We definitely got lucky the opposition was Villa.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
While I was delighted that we won by 3 I must admit to being just a bit disappointed we didn't hit 5 or 6 given that we had plenty time left after Pogba's goal and the paucity of the opposition.
That said I am starting to feel optimistic for the first time in a long time.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Can't be unhappy when we win 3:0 in PL.

My only question: why is Jon Moss still a referee in PL? I mean, anybody who has watched his feck-ups over the years knows he is not up to the task. Made horrible "mistakes" in this game as well. So - why is he still around?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
The thing I'd be most pleased about in that game is the amount of academy graduates you had on the pitch, I think it was 5 in all. Rashford, Greenwood, McT, Pogba and Williams.

Very few teams can claim that sort of success for their development teams.

Strelok

I rewatch it like ten times and imo it's a penalty since the Villa player obstructed the movement of Bruno and made contact with Bruno's legs while the later was in control of the ball in the penalty box. And what's important here was the legs of the Villa player. His legs should not be that close, right into Bruno's position when Bruno turned. I think his legs were in for the ball but missed as Bruno didn't stop and hold the ball but did a 360 turn. Imo if he had kept a distance and Bruno run and made contact with him and fell there'd be no penalty. Problem is if he did so, Bruno would had a clear shooting chance right infront of the goal, in the penalty box.

Of course Bruno played a big part in the penalty as he fell so fast and looked so hurtful. But with flair players, that is expected.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Poor start to the game but once again an excellent performance all in all. Some really classy football.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The thing I'd be most pleased about in that game is the amount of academy graduates you had on the pitch, I think it was 5 in all. Rashford, Greenwood, McT, Pogba and Williams.

Very few teams can claim that sort of success for their development teams.
Yeah, also the players who were on the pitch, most of them signed as young kids too. Players like De Gea, Martial, Dan James all were young players when we signed them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Some of the build up play in the game which didnt end up as goal or shot on target was brilliant. Quick and one touch passing with plenty of movement, defenders had no clue whom to track and which way the ball was moving.

Ekeke

With Greenwood and Fernandes starting we've fixed our many years of having a problem going forward. We don't need Grealish etc.

EwanI Ted

Great game last night. Our achilles heel over recent times has been an inability to put away mid and lower table team. A quick tally shows we've dropped 19 points so far this season just against the teams between 10th and 20th. Have a look at the table and you can see how damaging those dropped points are.

But the last few games, and last night in particular, suggest we've finally cracked it. Yeah, they came at us strong at first and, yeah, the first goal was lucky. But once we got our noses in front we just swaggered through the game in third gear creating chances at will. It could easily have been 5 or more.

We seem to have the formula for winning these games now. We're scoring goals from every angle, creating chances at will, but we're doing so in a very professional controlled way. We don't need to work ourselves into a frenzy to play good football. We dont need someone to come up with a flash of genius. We just make simple runs, play intelligent passes, move the ball quickly into the right areas and the goals are coming along easily. We're looking really well drilled.

There's a long way to go before this translates into real success at the top of the table. Can we continue this level of performance for an entire season? Because that's the standard these days. But everything is looking really promising right now.

SambaBoy

I'd say replacing Matic or getting a back-up who can provide the same is the key this summer. Fred and McTominay are decent enough footballers in their own right and happy for them to be squad players but they are miles of what Matic gives to the team. Obviously Pogba and Fernandes are better players but you can probably get away with playing just one of them if we needed to and still be effective going forward. Fred's first touch and loose passing at times in nowhere near the standard for a top competing for titles, same with McTominay and dealing with the press. Matic does this effectively every game, using his body well, good touch, evading pressure and taking up good half spaces and firing the ball into the more creative players.

Verbalkint

I was unwell & went to bed after the first half. What I was wishing for the most, apart from the 3 points is that Matic wouldn't get a 2nd yellow. He seemed to be very put off after he was fouled and no free kick was given.

Bruno Fernandes is definitely a player you would hate if on the opposition team sheet. Cheeky fella who can produce magic and indulge in occasional play acting. It wasn't a penalty in my opinion but too bad for Villa. Pogba's passing was quite simply ridiculous. Is he really injured ? I missed that part. Not even going to start on RvG.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I was unwell & went to bed after the first half. What I was wishing for the most, apart from the 3 points is that Matic wouldn't get a 2nd yellow. He seemed to be very put off after he was fouled and no free kick was given.

Bruno Fernandes is definitely a player you would hate if on the opposition team sheet. Cheeky fella who can produce magic and indulge in occasional play acting. It wasn't a penalty in my opinion but too bad for Villa. Pogba's passing was quite simply ridiculous. Is he really injured ? I missed that part. Not even going to start on RvG.
Who’s RvG?

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
It's on! Back to the 3-0 and 4-1 years.

Bruno and Greenwood have changed this club in less than two months. Back to scoring goals and playing with belief and hunger. That and Pog and Matic back to their best.

Only problem is that Martial is inconsistent.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Watching the game yesterday, i felt like at most 3-4 players had very good games, but we still won so comfortably. Feels good when we are routinely taking teams apart without everyone being in top form.

The contrast with the start of the season is so obvious. Our front 5, our full backs, the average position of the center backs. There is just so much goal threat in this team, must be overwhelming for the so called weaker teams.

I want to see how we approach the bigger games now. If we maintain the same approach and keep the faith in our attack.

Also, Mason Greenwood, what he's doing is just laughable.

Verbalkint

Just what he needed tonight, easy game but played some lovely stuff. Could've been 6 or 7

Greenwood is just ridiculous, the power and accuracy he strikes the ball, with both feet, is incredible.
I know Toni Kroos is a very different player but he's the last guy i saw who could hit the ball with so much venom & accuracy with BOTH feet. Greenwood looks incredible. I didn't understand why the Villa defenders sat back on two occasions and allowed him to run at them. Scary young man.

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 42% of 371 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 368 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw