PL W FA Premier League

Aston Villa 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 09 July 2020

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
:lol:

"Its a disgraceful decision. But I can't say what I think cos I'll get fine. But it's a poor poor decision"

Think you just did say what you think mate.

tjb

It's pretty normal that the people on our bench aren't as good as those that are in the starting XI.. Besides we were actually better in the first half then the second, so what more can you want?
Here is my issue. I felt the first half occurred due to fatigue, some players like AWB, Fernandes and Matic were off the pace. But if the drop off is that steep, even in terms of bringing out the ball, then it would provide a weakness for us next season. Norwich away in the FA cup isn't a performance I want repeated when one of Pogba, Bruno or Matic takes a rest or is injured.

Okey

That might just be the Champions league places sorted this match week, if Citeh's ban stands, even if reduced by a year. Well done boys. Another cantering win. Tough one coming up next but no fears, the way we're going...

shaky

We've been 3 goals ahead by the hour mark in the last 3 games. Killing games off early is allowing us to make the most of having 5 subs and this in turn is helping us to field the same starting 11 every game. We're going to be very hard to stop this season and next if we can avoid key injuries.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Hoping big favors from Sheffield and Bournemouth now.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I don't trust our bench. Fred came last week and took the DM role fluidly, but Mctominay was so poor in providing himself as an option to our defence or coming deep to provide a three man defence. Even when Fred came on and moved into that role, he didnt provide a link in midfield for us in any approximation to Pogba.
I think Ole will need to rotate one of these guys in. I agree with you it's a risk but I think Matic needs a rest, and it's very possible we can get through a game with McTominay as the deepest midfielder.

Onerealunited

Great game. Great 11 to start however our bench depth is not good enough. We are really exposed if anyone from starting 11 got an injury. Only positive from the bench is probably Brandon

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We are great to watch. But now i only want to know is Pogba injured. That didn't look good.

M15 Red.

The potential of the front 5 is scary. We haven't had goals in the team like this for ages. Up the Reds.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Here is my issue. I felt the first half occurred due to fatigue, some players like AWB, Fernandes and Matic were off the pace. But if the drop off is that steep, even in terms of bringing out the ball, then it would provide a weakness for us next season. Norwich away in the FA cup isn't a performance I want repeated when one of Pogba, Bruno or Matic takes a rest or is injured.
Norwich away was also due to fatigue/lack of match fitness as that was most of the teams first game back... So why does that not get the mitigating circumstances that you've given to the first half today?

stu_1992

Job done without ever really getting out of second gear. If you end up with a 3-0 result, there's not too much to complain about.

Still think we were lucky with the penalty, at a time where we looked second best if we're honest. Still we improved from there. Great Greenwood strike, and a very comfortable second half. Great to see Pogba get his first, and yet another Fernandes assist to add to his earlier goal. Hopefully a few more Pogba goals to end the season now that he's off the mark, assuming his injury at the end isn't too bad! We were ubkhck) unlucky to bit have a 4th too with the Rashford goal that was correctly disallowed due to no fault of his own, and the Martial chance that hit the bar.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What a great result again. Slightly subpar at the start but points on the board is all we should care about!

I just wish we took a few more chances this and last game and we'd be genuinely close to LCFC in terms of GD which might prove crucial come the end of the season.

Next big result will be the court case on Monday and if that and the game goes our away, we might be virtually assured of the CL spot!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

"Its a disgraceful decision. But I can't say what I think cos I'll get fine. But it's a poor poor decision"

I laughed at that too. I feel for him though, he seems a decent bloke and got a raw deal today.

Red00012

Plenty of Positives

Clean Sheet
3 goals scored
Pogba 1st Goal since his return
Luke Shaw’s running
De Gea caught a corner and punched another like A Joshua would
Good subs made making sure we can start the same 11 Monday night
Greenwood getting on the scoresheet again

TommiHelm

Feel like even if they had scored one of their chances we'd still be in total control. Feels good to not worry about going 1-0 down against these teams any more.

swedishgloryhunter

Its really strong to score two goals even when we didnt play really well in the first half. Second half was good.

I felt for martial when he left the pitch. Hopefully he will get one in the next game.

wolvored

Slow start, large parts were scrappy but still won 3-0. Beautiful

On a side note and probably an unpopular opinion but please sell Fred while we can still get close to what we paid for him.

He's the type of player who needs a string of games to get his confidence up, not one who will give you his best from the bench. With Pogba and Matic looking like the main two now, he won't won't get that run of games.

He's come on tonight, made a few misplaced passes, got a yellow card and slowed our game right down with endless side passes.
I think Fred was played out of neccessity under Ole, same as Matic. Although both have played well, Matic has proved the more valuable to merit a first team place, has the new contract and by next season it wouldnt surprise me to see Fred sold.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

You’ve been shit all season and you’re blaming a pen decision

tjb

Norwich away was also due to fatigue/lack of match fitness as that was most of the teams first game back... So why does that not get the mitigating circumstances that you've given to the first half today?
Because I saw in that game, what I saw in the majority of the season prior to Bruno and Pogba coming back. Not knowing where to fill in or which passing options to make are not fatigue related.

EC689908

A strange game to look at when you win 3-0 away but rarely got out of 3rd gear but frustrated it wasnt 5 or 6! Villa will need some turnaround because they fell away massively after the 1st goal.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I can’t imagine Pogba would’ve been doing the post match interviews if he was injured

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Because I saw in that game, what I saw in the majority of the season prior to Bruno and Pogba coming back. Not knowing where to fill in or which passing options to make are not fatigue related.
Well they are though... Its a match sharpness thing. Also, it was a full second XI... How often should we expect a full second XI to be brilliant? They've done well in most of the games they've been picked to do well in anyway (cups and EL)

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
First 30 minutes were very sluggish. I'm sitting there thinking 'are we tired mentally?' 'tired physically?' or 'simply a little overconfident/complacent?'.

Its an interesting state of mind to beat any Premier League team 3-0 away whilst playing below par and almost at walking pace. It shows where this team is now and how far we've progressed. We could, and definitely should, have scored more goals, and sooner or later someone's going to be on the wrong end of a real pasting.

We look dangerous every time we go forward and we are becoming a very difficult team to play against. Power, pace, class, solid at the back & a menace going forward.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Thought Villa would have a go, and they hustled and bustled, and created a few minor openings, but realistically, we looked pretty solid at the back. The Grealish chance, shows we still have things to learn as a defensive unit, but the shot that hit the post was covered by De Gea if it had been inside the post. Can only remember McGinn's effort that De Gea had to save, and then it was straight at him. We looked a little lifeless early on, the pen looked a bit fortunate, thought the foul on Rashford was more a pen. How did Fernandez, and AWB miss those headers? Should have been 6 really. All in all, very happy with the result, despite us not being at our most dynamic.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Smith must have forgotten their good fortune against Sheffield United.

We also had two other penalty shouts which weren't even reviewed.

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 42% of 371 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 368 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw