PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:1 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Sat, 25 September 2021

HailtotheKing

Poor game today. Mctominay was terrible, Ronaldo barely had a kick, Shaw & AWB where bad as well. I’m as gutted as any but again the hysteria is a bit over the top. We had 28 shots again, there goal should have been ruled offside. Never thought I’d see Bruno miss one like that
On what planet was AWB terrible? He was one of our best players. Shaw was terrible, granted.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I wish I could’ve seen what you did. We didn’t have a single good chance in that second half and we could barely string three passes together.
Bringing on Cavani for a midfielder wasn’t going to change that then, was it?

I agree about the quality of our chances. Everything was very rush in the final third. We needed a lot more patience. We weren’t giving anything away though at the other end, unlike the first half.

NK86

We are not at lampard at Chelsea levels or Dalglish at Liverpool levels yet.

If we are floundering in tenth come Christmas time than I don't think there would be any arguments about sacking Ole. The fact is we are not there yet.

Its our first defeat of the league season, we have had a decent start before today win our next few games and we will still be on course to challenge, lose them we could be in trouble mind.

Ole is definitely at a crossroads (again) not quite looking down the barrel but its round the corner if things don't got well in the next few weeks.
That's where the Board are supposed to be earning their millions. It they have to wait till we are already out of the running of the league by December, then what's the point in being at such high positions. Might as well let any random guy run the club.

People can point to the table and say joint top (till Liverpool play later today). However, can they not see our fixture list compared to the ones of the other clubs we are sharing the position with now. Chelsea have played City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs.

We have not played anyone in the top 6 from last season. That's the difference.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
It’s certainly not panic stations yet, and one bad defeat isn’t the end of the world. But it is completely right that we question and be skeptical of the situation. Because sadly it’s not just a bad day at the office, the reality is it was a poor performance which isn’t hugely different to some of our other performances this season where, yes, we’ve won, but not convincingly at times. So to query whether it’s just a bad day or whether this result was coming as it’s endemic of our performances recently, is entirely reasonable in my opinion.
I agree on that part. Question the game that day, the tactics etc. Entirely acceptable to do so.

But reading through post match threads like this and seeing a lot of overreactions isn't constructive. Ok we lost, but I dont think any of the other teams are by any means the finished article so far.

HailtotheKing

It was a shit performance, and is unacceptable as a match. But the amount of comments saying Ole/Woodward are cretins are at the same time unacceptable from our fanbase.

If we start getting smashed like Arsenal were at the start of the season, then it's right to be much more critical considering the backi g Ole has got. As it stands, we are early in the season, joint with all the other big teams.
Fair point but do you think Arsenal would have been getting smashed had they got a squad like ours?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It won't be 'panic stations' until it's mathematically impossible to achieve what we want to. In other words: unless it's a complete disaster it's good enough.
Then if that is the case, he might have a problem getting that midfielder to come, unless he has no ambition.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
We deserved to lose. Villa looked more threatening than us and had better chances.

We look toothless in terms of style - we are relying on individual talent to make chances, which is not a practical way of trying to win the league.

Greenwood looks fantastically threatening, but he showed his age today. Selfish and poor decision making. I can’t be mad with him because he’s young and it’ll come eventually.

Two losses on the bounce, with no goals. Definitely need to get going on Wednesday now. Season is still young, but it’s not too early for us to completely unravel and make it a nothing season already.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We've got a great squad now, so there are no excuses.
Ronaldo, Pogba, Bruno, Varane, Maguire, DDG - these are absolutely World class players.
I'm sure that the Aston Villa and Young Boys managers would swap their players for our's, in heartbeat.
I believe that the target is top 4.....that's it. So Ole's job is safe.

Thiagoal

With the squad of players we have access to, performances like today are simply not acceptable

yipthatman

We never looked like scoring. Every shot that was on target, half power, straight at the keeper. The rest just simply off target. Absolutely woeful. I think I am becoming Ole out. I think he is better with academy graduates than stars. I think he has took us as far as he can.

Hammondo

The excitement of the transfer window starts to fade when you realise it’s pretty much the same pattern as last season.

Sadly, one of the best squads the prem has ever seen will go to waste let’s be honest it could win the prem it could win the CL, but we all know why none of those two things will happen.
Wow you are deluded, it's a good lineup but it's not amazing.

DomesticTadpole

We never looked like scoring. Every shot that was on target, half power, straight at the keeper. The rest just simply off target. Absolutely woeful. I think I am becoming Ole out. I think he is better with academy graduates than stars. I think he has took us as far as he can.
People saying he can be nasty etc, showing him at Molde. They are not world superstars and he is the star in the company of the players he was dealing with in Norway. These players need someone who they respect and would respect if he called them out in the dressing room.

stw2022

Then if that is the case, he might have a problem getting that midfielder to come, unless he has no ambition.
It's not really him that lacks ambition. He's just not up to the job, but I'm sure he wants to be. We should have sacked Moyes and Mourinho sooner than we did. But even though we know the car is heading to the wall with a brick superglued onto the gas peddle, the majority opinion will always be that it hasn't hit the wall yet so doing anything about it would be premature and definitely not what a real fan would do.

Ironic that a club and fan base who likes to think it styles itself after the mentality of one of the most ruthless managers in the history of the game actually has more in common with a primary school teacher who wants to give the kid yet another chance even after the fire.

Hammondo

We've got a great squad now, so there are no excuses.
Ronaldo, Pogba, Bruno, Varane, Maguire, DDG - these are absolutely World class players.
I'm sure that the Aston Villa and Young Boys managers would swap their players for our's, in heartbeat.
I believe that the target is top 4.....that's it. So Ole's job is safe.
You exaggerate how good our players are.

yipthatman

People saying he can be nasty etc, showing him at Molde. They are not world superstars and he is the star in the company of the players he was dealing with in Norway. These players need someone who they respect and would respect if he called them out in the dressing room.
I think a few of the players know more than him about the game which is dangerous as then they just do their own thing.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I agree on that part. Question the game that day, the tactics etc. Entirely acceptable to do so.

But reading through post match threads like this and seeing a lot of overreactions isn't constructive. Ok we lost, but I dont think any of the other teams are by any means the finished article so far.
In all honesty though, reading a post match thread within an hour or two of a bad defeat, you should expect such knee jerk posts out of frustration or anger or whatever. It’s a fairy tale world if you expect otherwise …

At the end of the day, it was a horrid result and a horrid performance. I think there’s some real concerns at the moment. A number of bad performances, a lack of tactics and strategy. No real system. No real chemistry between our team. A big imbalance in our line ups. A concerning lack of midfield quality and ability to control games. It’s worrying times, more than just a 1-0 defeat in isolation would suggest.

But conversely, it’s early in the season. We have time to fix these issues. We have quality in the squad albeit deficiencies in midfield. We’ve shown we can play well in some games. It’s not all doom and gloom. There’s plenty of hope.

But neglecting to acknowledge our deficiencies is turning a blind eye to issues which must be resolved, and resolved soon, before it is too late.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Panic stations have arrived when performances like today's have 'fans' such as yourself trying to downplay how dire we are playing week in, week-out.
Questioning me as a fan :lol: . Ok I apologise for being rational, and will make a note to be an overreactive rude person on this forum.

Great to have the true fans like you who spend more time criticizing us, and probably is one who wants us to lose games so it gets Ole one step closer to the door.

Pscholes18

fecking piss poor display of football,...Bruno with one of the worst penalties I've ever seen. Greenwood certainly learning from Ronnie alright, trying to do everything himself. Never really gave Martinez any problems. Deserved that loss. Btw is our 73mil player never going to start?

DomesticTadpole

It's not really him that lacks ambition. He's just not up to the job, but I'm sure he wants to be. We should have sacked Moyes and Mourinho sooner than we did. But even though we know the car is heading to the wall with a brick superglued onto the gas peddle, the majority opinion will always be that it hasn't hit the wall yet so doing anything about it would be premature and definitely not what a real fan would do.

Ironic that a club and fan base who likes to think it styles itself after the mentality of one of the most ruthless managers in the history of the game actually has more in common with a primary school teacher who wants to give the kid yet another chance even after the fire.
Well said.

Aretak

Poor game today. Mctominay was terrible, Ronaldo barely had a kick, Shaw & AWB where bad as well. I’m as gutted as any but again the hysteria is a bit over the top. We had 28 shots again, there goal should have been ruled offside. Never thought I’d see Bruno miss one like that.
None of that constitutes an excuse. If anything, such games have been a hallmark of the Ole era. Against decent sides that set out to be defensively solid and don't leave space in behind, Ole's teams usually huff and puff and ultimately get nowhere, and are reliant on luck to achieve anything. He has no idea how to set things up to break such teams down. We're into his fourth season now and nothing's changed. He doesn't seem to have learned anything as a manager, except how to moan about how unfair life is during interviews.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
You exaggerate how good our players are.
I think it would be an injustice if you think our squad is not of sufficient quality to comfortably be achieving top 4, whether you label them as world class or not. This squad in capable hands would and should be capable of a good title challenge. The real glaring hole is our midfield which might come back to bite us in the ass. But even with that, I think top 4 should be the minimum expectation.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
In all honesty though, reading a post match thread within an hour or two of a bad defeat, you should expect such knee jerk posts out of frustration or anger or whatever. It’s a fairy tale world if you expect otherwise …

At the end of the day, it was a horrid result and a horrid performance. I think there’s some real concerns at the moment. A number of bad performances, a lack of tactics and strategy. No real system. No real chemistry between our team. A big imbalance in our line ups. A concerning lack of midfield quality and ability to control games. It’s worrying times, more than just a 1-0 defeat in isolation would suggest.

But conversely, it’s early in the season. We have time to fix these issues. We have quality in the squad albeit deficiencies in midfield. We’ve shown we can play well in some games. It’s not all doom and gloom. There’s plenty of hope.

But neglecting to acknowledge our deficiencies is turning a blind eye to issues which must be resolved, and resolved soon, before it is too late.
If I could like this post I would. A balanced view from both sides. Dont get me wrong, I dont think we are flying, and not functioning well by any means, but at the same time Im not going to jump into the "get Ole out," camp when we haven't even got out of September.

Thiagoal

Totally agree! Just look at what Chelsea achieved last season once they cut their losses with Lampard and got in a world class coach

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Amen

Hammondo

I think it would be an injustice if you think our squad is not of sufficient quality to comfortably be achieving top 4, whether you label them as world class or not. This squad in capable hands would and should be capable of a good title challenge. The real glaring hole is our midfield which might come back to bite us in the ass. But even with that, I think top 4 should be the minimum expectation.
I agree with all of that.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 276 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:0 Aston Villa