PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:1 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Sat, 25 September 2021

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How we can take 28 shots at home and not nick a single goal is shocking. Remember that Van Gaal game where we had 2 shots and 1 went in?
Because we’re shooting from positions where we haven’t a hope of scoring. Just look at how easy a game the opposition keepers have had these last few games. I honestly think I could have played in goals for Villa today and kept a clean sheet. No exaggeration.

Kinky Melinky

Because we’re shooting from positions where we haven’t a hope of scoring. Just look at how easy a game the opposition keepers have had these last few games. I honestly think I could have played in goals for Villa today and kept a clean sheet. No exaggeration.
Nail on the head. The 28 shots is a vanity stat

rk4utd

Villa goalie made one decent save from
Maguire - rest were regulation collection/saves - if I’d have been in goal for villa it would have been a draw…but id have been booked by dean for time wasting - second thoughts, no I wouldn’t…

always_hoping

This defeat all the more frustrating when it's now known that United would be 2 points clear at the top of the table with a win.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Definitely. Can't remember any difficult save, let alone a top one.

OrcaFat

Not a viable analysis, in my view.

Firstly, considering how many shots and chances we create, it's hard to conclude that the problem is that our midfield and defence is being stifled. If that was the issue, then it'd turn up as a shortage of shots and scoring chances. Which is simply not the case. By all measures, we are not just dominating possession more than we've done in the past, we are also producing a high volume of offensive pressure and scoring chances. So opposing teams have not been able to prevent us from creating offense. Only City and Liverpool have created more (based on xG). That is not to say that the midfield has performed very well, or that we wouldn't produce more if it worked better - but that flaw clearly is not enough to stifle us offensively. The problem - at least in some of our games - have rather been what we do and don't in the attacking third.

Secondly, we were not by any stretch of imagination outplayed or out thought by Villa today. Not in terms of dominance, not in terms of tactics. They took one of their (few) chances, we did not take ours. If we had, we'd have won. Even though they probably played more or less up to capacity and we didn't.

That’s a good post but I do think CM gets hassled into loose play, gets out of position and lacks technique and understanding of the space and what’s going on around the pitch. Not all the time but a bit; sometimes; enough to impact the game; more than we’d like. McFred are good guys though.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What really irks me about today is not so much the result as you can lose a game of football anytime but we could have been 2 points clear at the top today with Liverpool to face Chelsea. We just never seem to make the most of these opportunities. It's so incredibly frustrating. :(

lex talionis

Reliance on individual brilliance doesn’t shears pay off. Nor does a highly developed game plan either, but with the talent we have in the squad it us a bit unnerving to witness zero cohesion in our play. We paid the price for our arrogance against a side which, with all due respect to John McGinn, we should have been beaten.

Kevzter

You're looking at one single game. I think the people questioning Ole are looking at a pattern that has emerged. I get what you are saying, but people aren't posting about the things you built your point around.
The pattern that has emerged is that sometimes you lose, every team goes through that. The people questioning Ole do it every single week... Win or lose there's always something wrong with Ole. We are 1 point of top of the league. God forbid if we were in Arsenals position. We didn't play badly today at all we were just unlucky.

mav_9me

The result is hardly disastrous and it’s our first loss. However, it’s the performance for me. We really are difficult to watch. So many errors and mistakes, bad decisions. It’s apparent in most of our victories too.
Exactly. This result was coming based off the performances. And more of these on the way.

mav_9me

The pattern that has emerged is that sometimes you lose, every team goes through that. The people questioning Ole do it every single week... Win or lose there's always something wrong with Ole. We are 1 point of top of the league. God forbid if we were in Arsenals position. We didn't play badly today at all we were just unlucky.
You've got to have really low expectations to say we didn't play bad. We were completely outplayed in 2nd half.

OrcaFat

Exactly. This result was coming based off the performances. And more of these on the way.
I think we were the better team over the 90. The thread is full of posts that disagree with that but the disgruntled always shout loudest.

We have been misfiring a bit but no reason to think we’re not going to get our form back.

Tough run of fixtures coming up but we’ve got players coming back and players bedding in. Looking forward to it.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Let's call it like it is... Greenwoods got talent but was a big liability today, should have squared the ball to Bruno for a tap in.

Shaw was just waiting to gift them goals by not closing down crosses from the wing, just like he did the last 3 games. After Dialot came in we looked more secure in our defense from that wing.

Why is Ole being blamed, he couldn't go and score the penalty himself now could he?

The GREAT Tuchel lost today, the GREAT Klopp drew to championship Brentford... But the sky is falling at Old Trafford...
pretty much this

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's a game of two halves, quality wise. First half, i was impressed on how we dominated Villa and pinned them back. On first half, their chances were from our amateurish defensive mistakes, while we had so many better chances.

The 2nd half though, was brutal from us. We somehow decided to play counter-attack and let them taking initiative. It's backfired so badly.

OrcaFat

It's a game of two halves, quality wise. First half, i was impressed on how we dominated Villa and pinned them back. On first half, their chances were from our amateurish defensive mistakes, while we had so many better chances.

The 2nd half though, was brutal from us. We somehow decided to play counter-attack and let them taking initiative. It's backfired so badly.
Yeah second half was not so good.

Duncan the Great

Why wait ? Out now. Should have gone last season when the same substandard shite was seen game after game. Is it a case of, see how low we get in the league and then really panic ? And wait till the whole squad are devoid of any confidence, that a replacement coach would need to address that before really righting the ship ? The very fact that Ole has not resigned reflects on his ability to even recognise what is required to coach at this level.
Just one thing that must be a given, is the new guy needs to bring his own coaching team, as it is quite obvious Carrick and Phelan don't bring a lot to the table.
P.S.
Does any one know where are the best odds for a sacking as I fancy getting a few quid on, what will soon be a racing cert.

Kevzter

You've got to have really low expectations to say we didn't play bad. We were completely outplayed in 2nd half.
I agree that in the second half Villa had won most of the second balls and dominated in certain phases, but we had more shots than Villa for the entire game. At the end of the day goals win games and we didn't get the goals. But we were not dire as you and other posters would believe. That corner that we conceded from should not have been a corner as the ball came off Mings last, but sometimes these things go against you.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah second half was not so good.
It's obvious, we've been bad on maintaining possession when under pressure. We look truly amateurish with this. It's been on-going problem for years, and we don't look like top team in that situation.

But then you'd see some dudes throwing out that pointless possession stats that we're 2nd best last season.

Jonty

We did play badly and Villa got a deserved win. Starting with two defensive midfielders against mid table club shows a lack of ambition. We were unlucky with injuries but this is where tactical nous comes into play, however Ole and his team decided to make like for like subs. When Maguire was injured an option could have been to drop McT into defence and bring on an attacking option. On current form Fred should not have been anywhere near the pitch yet he is seemingly untouchable.

OrcaFat

It's obvious, we've been bad on maintaining possession when under pressure. We look truly amateurish with this. It's been on-going problem for years, and we don't look like top team in that situation.

But then you'd see some dudes throwing out that pointless possession stats that we're 2nd best last season.
Yeah it’s not bad all the time. It seems to me it is often bad when it matters most, at the sharp end of games, when it won’t go in for us, or we get an injury or there’s an event like a ref decision. We don’t have a leader in CM (or enough technique for that matter). I often think we are the better side over 90 mins (win or lose) but we have these spells where the players (especially CM) stop playing properly.

Better coaching couldn’t hurt (how could it?) but honestly I think it is a lack of quality in the key position of CM.

Maxii

Paad
Villa goalie made one decent save from
Maguire - rest were regulation collection/saves - if I’d have been in goal for villa it would have been a draw…but id have been booked by dean for time wasting - second thoughts, no I wouldn’t…
I think the shots that were blocked by defenders count too? If they are counted, about 80% of those didn’t even reach the goal

Kevzter

We did play badly and Villa got a deserved win. Starting with two defensive midfielders against mid table club shows a lack of ambition. We were unlucky with injuries but this is where tactical nous comes into play, however Ole and his team decided to make like for like subs. When Maguire was injured an option could have been to drop McT into defence and bring on an attacking option. On current form Fred should not have been anywhere near the pitch yet he is seemingly untouchable.
It's obvious Ole cannot trust the team with only one defensive midfielder. He gambled in the end by throwing in Cavani for Mctominay. I have no problems with that.

Did you notice the amount of times old Fred won the ball back for us, I counted about 4 in the first half but I could be wrong... it might have been more.

Villa played well in certain phases, most noticeably in the second half. But a deserved win for Villa is a no for me... It was more like a smash and grab.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Let's call it like it is... Greenwoods got talent but was a big liability today, should have squared the ball to Bruno for a tap in.

Shaw was just waiting to gift them goals by not closing down crosses from the wing, just like he did the last 3 games. After Dialot came in we looked more secure in our defense from that wing.

Why is Ole being blamed, he couldn't go and score the penalty himself now could he?

The GREAT Tuchel lost today, the GREAT Klopp drew to championship Brentford... But the sky is falling at Old Trafford...
Greenwood had two chances in first 20-30 minutes and both too timid… odd as usually puts his laces through them.

For most of the rest of the game, he was good… running at/past players, direct, maybe could’ve made a different decision or two but no way was he a ‘liability’

Judas

Open to offers
We had 28 shots but barely any proper chances created. It's not like we had loads of great openings that went begging. We weren't wasteful really, we created very little of quality. Not for the first time.

Fred was one of our best players today.. odd game to diss him.… did you watch it? And stuck up for players like the Bruno/Mings (wanker) incident

Jonty

Fred was one of our best players today.. odd game to diss him.… did you watch it? And stuck up for players like the Bruno/Mings (wanker) incident
I did watch the game and I did caveat opinion by saying that on current form he should not have been near the pitch and I don't think he did enough with the football to warrant his position bar an excellent through ball. My point was that we lacked creativity from midfield and there was no effort from the players nor the coaching staff to change that.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
Fair enough. I was trying to make the point that it's not like we've had a shit start to the season. Perhaps I'm being too focussed on the PL and frankly I'm not much concerned by a single goal loss to a good team by the second-stringers in the CC. But YBB was abysmal, and troubling. That was a far, far worse performance than today's.
Well I’ll second that emotion because, in overall terms, you’ve had a great start to the season and your league position pays tribute to that.
I also think that today’s outcome wasn’t anything other than a blip, you have much better players, and your stats show that you bossed them for shots and possession, so it was nothing worse than poor preparation and in-game tactical issues (IMO you have one of the 3 strongest squads in the PL and your problems, small as they are, are off the pitch not on it).

I did watch the game and I did caveat opinion by saying that on current form he should not have been near the pitch and I don't think he did enough with the football to warrant his position bar an excellent through ball. My point was that we lacked creativity from midfield and there was no effort from the players nor the coaching staff to change that.
not Fred’s job but ironically did more than most midfielders at that today

he did his ‘proper’ job well.. if others had done theirs, we’d have been much better off. It’s alright Pogba making a couple of direct runs in the last ten minutes but if he does little else in the other 80 and (yet again) loses the ball in stupid positions and (yet again) doesn’t chase back, he doesn’t deserve a place.

There was one point in the second half he lost the ball 30 yards from their goal and they countered. Apart from Martinez and maybe one defender, ten seconds later, Pogba was the furthest player from the ball.. despite losing it.

Fred was ok today

Bird Nerd

Players of today need to be drilled and practice. Not just for fitness. I am not a Pep fan but he drills his world class players into a style which Ole is totally oblivious to. We have world class talent that is begging for some structure, etc. which Ole is either unable or unwilling to do. We desperately need a quality manager.

Jonty

not Fred’s job but ironically did more than most midfielders at that today

he did his ‘proper’ job well.. if others had done theirs, we’d have been much better off. It’s alright Pogba making a couple of direct runs in the last ten minutes but if he does little else in the other 80 and (yet again) loses the ball in stupid positions and (yet again) doesn’t chase back, he doesn’t deserve a place.

There was one point in the second half he lost the ball 30 yards from their goal and they countered. Apart from Martinez and maybe one defender, ten seconds later, Pogba was the furthest player from the ball.. despite losing it.

Fred was ok today
Agreed on Pogba, what we could do with a Keane or a Robson ;)

justsomebloke

"If we had we'd have won"...yeah and if my aunt had wheels she would be a bicycle.

So what are you concluding then? That our strikeforce is not good enough to beat a Villa/YoungBoys/Wolves/Soton defence?

That based on the stats then our midfield cannot be faulted as it's clearly the strikers not putting shots away?
it's perfectly clear from my post what my conclusion is.

justsomebloke

That’s a good post but I do think CM gets hassled into loose play, gets out of position and lacks technique and understanding of the space and what’s going on around the pitch. Not all the time but a bit; sometimes; enough to impact the game; more than we’d like. McFred are good guys though.
yep. No question we have trouble in midfield.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Sorry, but just read your posts today and you scream a person who just has negativity running through their veins.

Go on, name a manager to replace Ole as of today. Lets say He's sacked after this game, who do we go for right now?
:lol: This is so typical of a member of Ole FC that I had to laugh. Your first 'argument' is, as a very 'rational' fan, is to attack me on some cultural negativity tangent or other nonsense like this.

This literally displays the whole problem with people saying OGS is the right man - nothing to do with the football or trophies, all to do with 'happiness of players' and the 'right culture' and being a 'nice man'. None of those are what we need at the cutting edge of football - vision for the style of play, ruthlessness to implement it, confidence to change things and make the right decision when it's time.

As for who would be better, Zidane and Conte on a very short-term basis (I am against him but he'd do well with this squad). Even someone like Brighton's manager would do alright based on what he's doning with a much inferior squad on a short-term contract. At the end of the day, as a United fan, it's not my job to appoint or scout managers but watch and enjoy the football and say when we're not up to it. And currently, it's obvious we are not.

You're looking at one single game. I think the people questioning Ole are looking at a pattern that has emerged. I get what you are saying, but people aren't posting about the things you built your point around.
Ole’s attacking sub didn’t really make sense and showed no understanding of how the match had unfolded.

He bought on Cavani, it actually shows a very simple level of thinking. We already had Ronaldo and Greenwood on the pitch and were not creating many chances, why bring on Cavani when the problem was service? If it was a match where we were dominating and bombarding their goal area then Cavani would have made sense. But in this match we needed width & pace ideally to counter their press and deliver crosses, so Sancho would have made sense.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Yeah. Our midfield is lacking quality but, hey, if we can play this bad and be one point off top after six games there’s hope for us yet.
Pretty much what I said until a hound in the forum attacked me. Haven't conceded more than a goal in a game yet in prem, yet liverpool concede 3 and are considered more consistent than us at this point in time.

:lol: This is so typical of a member of Ole FC that I had to laugh. Your first 'argument' is, as a very 'rational' fan, is to attack me on some cultural negativity tangent or other nonsense like this.

This literally displays the whole problem with people saying OGS is the right man - nothing to do with the football or trophies, all to do with 'happiness of players' and the 'right culture' and being a 'nice man'. None of those are what we need at the cutting edge of football - vision for the style of play, ruthlessness to implement it, confidence to change things and make the right decision when it's time.

As for who would be better, Zidane and Conte on a very short-term basis (I am against him but he'd do well with this squad). Even someone like Brighton's manager would do alright based on what he's doning with a much inferior squad on a short-term contract. At the end of the day, as a United fan, it's not my job to appoint or scout managers but watch and enjoy the football and say when we're not up to it. And currently, it's obvious we are not.
Quote me in the past three years where I am "Ole FC". Give it a go where I am die hard in my comments? I dont think he's top class, I dont believe we will achieve wonders with him, but at the same time he's not a disaster many (clearly including yourself), make it out to be. Maybe i'm not a great fan that I go to go extreme on a player or the manager a minutr after we lose?

Also, for you to say Graham Potter shows your debating is now veering over the edge, so have a good night petal and hope your anger and discontent of Ole subsides a little after tonight. Sweet dreams

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 276 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:0 Aston Villa
  • 20% Man Utd 2:1 Aston Villa