PL D FA Premier League

Aston Villa 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 15 January 2022

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This is the bit that rages me so much. Club reckons we have no money to spend. It’s like we have forgot we can sell players to raise funds. Why is Lingard here? Donny if he won’t get minutes. Henderson doesn’t play over Heaton. Martial wants to leave. Selling those 3 of those 4 makes £50m at least. We are a shambles because the hierarchy have no fecking clue how to run a football club.
We can't sell them because we have paid them too much and then try to sell them for inflated prices that nobody will pay.

Wing Attack Plan R

The only real surprise was how well we played in the opening 35 minutes. That spell we looked like a real team, dominated Villa.

Second half, don’t even try and claim Fred will thrive in a RR system. Fred has the first touch of a U10 player. But we all knew our side’s limitations going into this match, it was all going to hinge on how we managed the second half, and in this sense RR failed miserably. I screamed at the TV to sub off Fred, wondered how Matic stayed on, and screamed again when Greenwood came off. They might have been the right incoming personnel but they were at least 15 minutes too late. Terrible game management.

We absolutely need new blood in midfield. Garner, Hannibal, would have been an improvement 2nd half. We dont need 100 million pound players, just grafters with a little flair like Ward Prowse or Neves or any number of mid table opponents we’ve recently been done by. The intermediate step is to make this team a coherent force, forget about challenging for the title. We had half the team doing one thing and the other half-heartedly pressing them standing and watching.

Get some new players in.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We have the second most expensive squad in the league. The amount we spend is not the issue, it's who we spend it on
Yes I get that, but most owners would be looking at the state of our midfield and sanctioning additional spending to give us the best possible chance of being successful.

sp_107

We have the second most expensive squad in the league. The amount we spend is not the issue, it's who we spend it on
That’s right !! I don’t know why some people still say owners don’t spend after they spent close to billion in last 9 years only next to city

We never had a proper direction when we were signing the players and today’s situation is a result of that

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I hate to say this but this match was lost by Rangnick. He is horrible as a matchday coach. How could he not make a sub for that long, seeing how horrible Matic and Fred were, or seeing how their attack was running around Dalot. And not even after the first goal.

He is at least as bad as Ole with subs, maybe even worse.

Holy shit, this sucked. What a fecking mess even when we were doing well

Hampshire Rec

Very Frustrating tonight, let them build momentum instead of snuffing them out.
not sure why he took Elanga off
poor decision for me

MUFC OK

Let’s be so honest, this team is heading for somewhere between 6th-9th and knocked out of the cups before semi finals. That’s where we are - fecking shit in other words.

tayside red

we needed fresh legs from 80mins, no use putting players on after 88mins
no wonder Jesse look as if he doesn't give a XXXX
DVB needs a new club

pre Munich Red

Just doing enough toavoid the relegation league, say 46 points to be comfortable, RR not at the races re Prem or the crap that permeates Utd. from board level downwards, but Glazers happy, until Man Utd brand loses, then sold to Arabs……end of an interesting and, at times stirring and emotionally capturing story, now just another cash cow for the ‘investors’.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Should’ve brought subs on earlier but looking at the bench we didn’t really have anyone to bring on who you’d feel confident could change the game.
During the time when we *should* have made subs, it would primarily be to maintain energy.

kitress

There were some early promising signs but oh boy, that's some horrible in-game management. Should have shut up shop after going up 2-0 considering how many chances the opposition created. So pray God he's not considered for the permanent position.

Bondi77

No European football for us next season so that should make it a bit easier to manage for the new manager.

thebelfastboy

Some promising stuff, but again a complete implosion.

It was clear we needed fresh legs and some response to Villa's changes, but nothing came until it was too late. Terrible game management.
I can't understand why he kept Matic on the field. He was absolutely gassed from the second half and that needs to be a lesson for RR.

OmarUnited4ever

I kinda knew Villa will score, even after Bruno's second, I knew Villa will score twice, I was worried they would win it.

Had zero faith in the team to stay ahead and win it.

D. Mungai

'Performance better than the result'
Aston Villa 2-2 Man Utd
Manchester United
Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes speaking to Sky Sports: "We got into the perfect position to score more goals and take the third goal and finish the game, but we don’t get our chance on the counters and gave the chances to them. They have good players up front and draw the game, it is tough to take because I think the game was under control.
"After our first goal they began to press us more, but still we had our chances and could have scored again. The shot was not good, the pass was not good and you start losing confidence, the game got bigger and they got more space between the lines, with the quality of players they have up front, they hurt you.
"The performance was better than the result, more controlled but the main point is winning games and points. We deserved more, but its not about deserving it is about getting points. We still have a lot to improve but it is about performance and results together."

Amira

The fact that we are not desperately trying to get a midfielder this window seems to me like we’ve given up on the season. And doing that as early as we have is an indictment.

Reactions: Cheimoon

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The second half was so disappointing. The performance wasn't amazing by any stretch but at least there was some pressing, moving the ball, chances created etc. It was quite open and we rode our luck here and there, but it was better all-round. Then we start getting dominated, do nothing to fight back and throw two points down the shitter.

D. Mungai

Manchester United boss Ralf Rangnick speaking to Sky Sports: "It is very difficult to find positives after these 95 minutes. I felt it was the best game since I came here, in the first half for 30 minutes we dominated the game. We had taken took some steps forward but have a few things to do better.
"The plan was to press them in the midzone and we did that very well in the first 30 minutes, and control the ball, and those were the positives. When you are 2-0 up you have to defend better than we did in the last 15 minutes.
"We gave away too many balls at times in the last 15 minutes, we were not as compact as before and conceded the two goals. In the last 15 minutes before half time we were not as courageous to step up, it was better in the second half and then you have to take the three points home. It feels like a defeat, to be honest.
"Right now is very disappointed but what we showed was a step forward but it about getting the results, it feels like two points lost and given away."

Delano

Really frustrating. We played well first half, and it all seemed in hand. Then we just completely switched off.

MUFC OK

It’s gotten to the point, sadly, where there is no hope for revival for this team this season. Anyone who doesn’t want to be here must be sold/released. We might look like a mid table team on paper next season. We have fecked it with a star littered squad.

RedRJ

I used to actively support my local team, home and away. After a few years of crap performances, I remember saying to my mate after a game: “this sh1t is depressing me so much that it’s beginning to ruin my weekend”.……..that’s how I feel watching MU these days………

MUFC OK

Really frustrating. We played well first half, and it all seemed in hand. Then we just completely switched off.
Never underestimate our ability to Chuck points away. Namely when a Chelsea/arsenal/Spurs drop points. You can bet your mortgage on it.

Water Melon

The fact that we are not desperately trying to get a midfielder this window seems to me like we’ve given up on the season. And doing that as early as we have is an indictment.
This season is a write off. I do not see us spending big come summer, as we will not be able to generate much from player sales. No CL football will hurt us financially even more. I am very doubtful that ETH will join us, so am fully accepting another write off next season as well.

MUFC OK

This season is a write off. I do not see us big come summer, as we will not be able to generate much from player sales. No CL football will hurt us financially even more. I am very doubtful that ETH will join us, so am fully accepting another write off next season as well.
The new Everton. Manchester United. This is us.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I watched 2 out of the 3 matches vs AV and I can say they are better than we are and that's pretty sad.

Not sure why RR waited so long to bring in VdB as it was clear for anyone to see our mids were tired and not effective in the 2nd half.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 43% of 239 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 253 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw