PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Tue, 26 December 2023

Deferd

For me the continual changing of the starting eleven is not helpful.
I am glad Maguire did not play tonight because his style of receiving the ball from the keeper and strolling forward at a snails pace then passing sideways or back to the keeper even when we are losing , just isn’t Man Utd style.
tonight we had quick fire fast moving football especially second Half this is our style shut down their keeper quickly defenders too don’t give them time to look up and pick a pass.

bosskeano

won't mean shit if they don't go to Forest and win the match....they have got to find a way to be more consistent in getting results

it first starts with their press and playing at a higher tempo like they did the second half. Villa couldn't compete with them at that level of play and intensity.

Ole'sgunnarwin

People on here never learn. It was like Mourinho when they came back against Newcastle. Delays the inevitable. We're still shite until we start winning comfortably and having a positive goal difference, it's all a waste of time.

Wrecking ralf

what a finish that was from Hojlund, so late in the game, under the pressure he must have been feeling, and for a young lad. Amazing. So happy for the lad.

Blood Mage

People on here never learn. It was like Mourinho when they came back against Newcastle. Delays the inevitable. We're still shite until we start winning comfortably and having a positive goal difference, it's all a waste of time.
Well no decision is going to be made on ETH until Ratcliffe assumes control anyway so we might as well pick up a few points and restore a bit of pride. I still want Ten Hag gone too, tonight doesn't change that, but he wouldn't have been sacked even if we had lost.

Godfather

Really happy for Hojlund you saw how much it meant for him. Also good to have Rashford with an assist and Garnacho on the score sheet again.

Deserved the win after that second half performance but worrying we looked like conceding immediately each time we scored. Still want ETH out. This squad is capable of more.

Red00012

3 games from now until 1st February. Hopefully a few players came come back between now and then

Gordon S

Seems like we changed our slow patient buildup a touch here i think. We played it quicker out from the back. More and longer balls forward. I might be wrong but i think our cb`s were pulled further apart as options for Onana. Kind of worked. Fair play to Erik if he is tweaking our tactics a bit, much needed

SonOfFergie

Poor first half marred by individual defensive mistakes and clueless attacking followed by much more mature second half performance. Great win. But defensively we are so over the place. Lacking concentration and quality especially on RB and LB. Wan Bissaka is terrible when defending space and Dalot not much better. So happy for Hojlund. Great game overall from Garnacho. Mainoo looking promising, Rashford showing at least some spark. Hopefully we get some bodies back soon (Shaw, Martinez, Casemiro) and a few signings through the door ASAP.

redmanx

This is the story of our entire season, shite one day, half decent the next, then shite again. What can we expect next time out? I wont bet against another poor performance and defeat.

redmanx

what a finish that was from Hojlund, so late in the game, under the pressure he must have been feeling, and for a young lad. Amazing. So happy for the lad.
Im really pleased for Hojlund, he works his socks off every match but is constantly let down by his team mates and poor passes. Hopefully he can go on from here and score more.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I've got that weird feeling that only United can do to you.

I don't know what it means, I don't know what the future holds but I know exactly how I felt when Hojlund scored and I know exactly how I felt at full time and I'm very, very pleased to be a United supporter.

For every 'easy' 1 or 2 nil win we've had over the years....nothin beats winning like that.

stu_1992

What a turnaround! Absolutely buzzing. I thought we had missed the chance to get something from the game when we couldn't score before half time when we had a bit of momentum. And then the off side goal early in the second half felt like a further blow we wouldn't recover from. But fair play, I was wrong and delighted to be.

Great stuff from Garnacho. The right wing experiment seemed to work. Probably his best game for us overall. Would have been nice to see him get the hat trick. With that said, I was absolutely delighted for Hojlund. Well deserved and long overdue. The release of weight and pressure was all over his face and hopefully this means he can push on from here. It would be such a great shot in the arm for our season if he can get firing consistently.

Probably the best game this season for Rashford. Not a high bar but still happy.

I hope we can build on this and the positivity of the new investment. But I am skeptical that Villa's style of play just suited our players and that we could be right back to square one next game. We'll see.

Red Royal

What a turnaround... I was lucky enough to be in the Stretford Endm The scenes when Hojlund scored were amazing!!

JediSith

True. But this comback we actually played very well, the football was very good. It wasn’t lump it and throw the kitchen sink. It was good movement, Bruno being a playmaker, Rashford using his brain.

Wrecking ralf

Rewatching the disallowed goal. If rash slips it to Hojlund, I think he’d have had the pace to stay away from the defenders and have finished that.

AndyMUFC

Say what you want about the players but it's hard to say they're not playing for him. They keep saving his job every time.

Terrific second half and Hojlund getting his first goal just put the icing on the cake, though to be fair I didn't even think we were particularly bad in the first either. Just two bits of poor defending from corners.

I don't think it'll change much but we'll enjoy it.

Wrecking ralf

What a turnaround... I was lucky enough to be in the Stretford Endm The scenes when Hojlund scored were amazing!!
Last game I was in the stretty for was when Macheda scored the winner, ironically against villa. 2009 was it?

Hanky panky

Anyone else thinks Garnacho is our biggest talent since Rooney and Ronaldo? Our future will be build around Garnacho, Mainoo and maybe Hojlund. Not around Bruno and Rashford.

AFC NimbleThumb

Coming back from 2 down against that lot especially after the 1st time we hit the net it being disallowed is no small feat.

Still think his goose is cooked but credit where it’s due. He has to build on these moments though.

ArjenIsM3

Thought we'd get done by Villa but thankfully the team proved me wrong. They put in a good performance overall and showed great mentality to come back from 0-2 down at the break. Thoroughly enjoyed that game.

Wrecking ralf

Im really pleased for Hojlund, he works his socks off every match but is constantly let down by his team mates and poor passes. Hopefully he can go on from here and score more.
This is the thing, we could say getting that goal could see him go on a run of goals now, but that can’t happen with the lack of service he gets. I really think Amad is the type of player to offer him more but he’s not gonna be starting anytime soon. He does a lot of good things Hojlund but as a young striker, he doesn’t know how to make things happen for himself yet when he’s not having thing played to him regularly. We could really do with bringing in another striker who he could share duties with but also someone who he could watch and learn from when he’s not starting a game. It’s crucial for his development. Shame cavani isn’t here still really.

RoyH1

Great comeback and what a performance from Garnacho. So happy for Højlund as well!

Haven’t had this sense of exhilaration in quite a while

Devilyouknow

They asked unai after the game ‘what went wrong?’ He did a big creepy smile and said ‘Good ebening… 39 points’ :lol:

Gator Nate

New minority owner bounce. It's a thing. :smirk:

After Villa's goals, we picked up and found another gear. Say what you want about Villa's suicidal press, they have used it to great effect. The thing we did, though, was throw the same thing at them.

Garnacho never quit. Rashford put in his best performance of the season. Hojland was finally rewarded for his efforts.

Thought Evans played strong, too.

UDontMessWith24

won't mean shit if they don't go to Forest and win the match....they have got to find a way to be more consistent in getting results

it first starts with their press and playing at a higher tempo like they did the second half. Villa couldn't compete with them at that level of play and intensity.
Big reason for that is they were actually made to work when they defended on a relatively consistent basis as we actually sustained possession in the final third for the first time in a long time.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Did like seeing Onana make the trip to hug Rasmus after that goal.

Heartening to see.

Garnacho’s celebration for his goal was mint as well.

captain666

Expected the worst after 30 mins but delighted we finally showed some fighting spirit,maybe some of our old DNA is returning to OT?

NLunited

Good second half performance. Villa played right into our hands.

Can we back it up Away at Forest or is it just another Chelsea.
Forest just took Newcastle to the cleaners, they know how to counter attack. They will sit back: it will be a very different game.

NLunited

Seems like we changed our slow patient buildup a touch here i think. We played it quicker out from the back. More and longer balls forward. I might be wrong but i think our cb`s were pulled further apart as options for Onana. Kind of worked. Fair play to Erik if he is tweaking our tactics a bit, much needed
Playing out the back was the same: what was different was finding the next passes quickly. Eriksen and Bruno were on fire with their passes behind Villa’s high line.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 303 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man Utd 2:1 Aston Villa
  • 16% Man Utd 0:2 Aston Villa