CL L Champions League Champions League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Manchester United 0:1 Atletico Madrid

Post-match discussion

Tue, 15 March 2022

nmm85

Played well first half but yet again our heads drop after conceding. We looked so nervous in the second half and we seemed to loose any kind rythm we had after the subs.

Rashford is now become a real concern. One of the worst performances I've seen in my life.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
First time in 16 years Ronaldo hasnt won a trophy, my mates just sent me.
Very few of our players possess his winning mentality.
He must be regretting his decision to return and will now surely leave in a few months.

The really frustrating thing is that next year will be another write-off (because we'll be getting a new manager) and the following season will also be a write-off for reasons which have yet to be determined.
How long will it take us to win the league again? 10 years, maybe?

Jacko21

Fell hook, line and sinker.

Crowd were drained of belief. Second half didn’t materialise at all - not helped by ill-judged substitutions.

Yet another humiliating defeat in this now decade of pain.

MrSingh2002

I think the issue was starting with Fred and McTominay. If we conceded the first goal you'd have to take them both off given Fred isn't going to get you a goal and McTominay given his knock wasn't going to last the full game.

Rangnick got both team selections wrong in this tie even though he jas got many right in the league.

We're still ruing the bad management of not replacing Ferguson with a Mourinho, Guardiola or Klopp.

Missing one or two of them is bad but all 3 of the managers that would have guaranteed success at the time was a disgrace. We need ruthless people at the top.

Rangnick knowing what he knows now could be a ruthless decision maker to overhaul the squad with a manager like Ten Hag.

I'd take that for now.

Irwin99

Another 'play well for 40 minutes' performance. Of course it's hard to play against a team like Atletico when they're 1-0 up but the fact that the most urgency shown in the second half was by a substitute, Matic, is really disappointing. We had NO clue how to break them down whatsoever.

They are a far more savvy team than us but they're not as good as previous Atletico teams and I don't think they'll get anywhere near the final other than by a good draw. The thing that disappoints me the most is that we probably could have won this game if Elanga had scored and they had been forced into attack. Game was virtually over when they scored.

That goal was just utter crap btw :houllier: Seems every fecking match there's a chance like that against us where there are huge gaps everywhere and the players don't know where they're meant to be. Varane and Maguire have to win those balls if they're going to step out of defence otherwise it just leaves an open defence.

Devil may care

We were ok in the first half but only created one real chance, once they scored we never looked like getting back into it, I wish this rotten season was over.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
In the matchday thread, yesterday, I noticed that the majority of fans voted that we'd win.
I was one of the few who said that we are highly unlikely to win.
I am unsure whether or not fans are actually watching us play or not.
This MUFC side is one of the worst (barring Moyes' MUFC) I have seen since I started supporting them in 1995.
We won't be winning the top end matches (like today) with Fred and McT as our midfield.
And don't even get me started with Maguire - one of our worst players is our captain. Only at MUFC.

I'm also predicting a humiliation against LFC. Spurs was the GOAT being the GOAT. We recently drew against Watford and I would suggest that our current level is the bottom half of the league table.

If this club wants to compete at the highest level, we need to rip out the foundations that Ole laid and start from scratch. This could mean that over half the team needs to be replaced.
Yeah , completely agree. I started supporting United in 68, I ‘ve seen us relegated, I seen us play badly more times than I care to remember but when everything is taken into consideration this side is the worst, most soulless , uninspiring bunch I have seen.

swedishgloryhunter

The only defence i can give rashford is that he was played as rw, I've never seen him play well there, always been lw. I really thought Sancho would play rw, rashford is deep out of form but curious to why he can't go on the lw atleast.

Todd

Expected result, but frustrating because we were looking so good in the first half.

That being said, final 16 was our realistic ceiling in the CL this season. I fear we won't play a CL match for a long time now.

The nice thing is now I can cancel my Paramount+ subscription because watching CL was the only reason I had it.

Heinzesight

First off, the ref. One of the poorest displays of officiating I’ve seen at Old Trafford. A joke. Not even going to go into the fouls but letting them have a water break after their goal, adding one minute stoppage time on 45 minutes (two head injury stoppages, a goal, Bruno down for 2 minutes, etc), not giving a drop ball when he touched it, turning his back on their substitutions whilst they just saunter off and stopping play for every fecking one of their head injuries yet when we go down with our first late in the game he just plays on. Guy was a cheating cnut.

However, we were poor. No invention, rinse and repeat the same shite all game. Couldn’t see us scoring. Maguire a jibbering wreck, Rashford a complete waste of a shirt, no tempo, just an insipid, wet fart of a performance (we started quite well) and Atletico weren’t even that good. They’ll get spanked by the next team they play.

Polar

Matic
Jones
Lingard
Henderson
Bailly
Maguire
Fred
Ronaldo
Cavani

We need 9 out and 7 in over the next year.
Pogba can be added to your list.

We have to take advantage of this situation and offload all off them (maybe except Fred). We have to start the turnover right now and at least stop giving Pogba, Matic and Maguire time on the pitch.

Schmeichel=God

I'm done formulating opinions on this team, management, or its hierarchy.

10 years of naivety and utter mismanagement.

Any other business would have folded 4 or 5 times.

There is absolutely zero reason to believe that anything will be different going forward.

Imagine throwing 1 billion at something to only be guaranteed 5th to 7th in the standings.

Disgrace

Billy Bullcrap

Supports
Wrexham
The subs killed the game, rather than boosting the team they killed it.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
What the hell is scholesy on about, the right manager couldn’t coach this team with this board and these owners running the club into the ground. Absolutely deluded.

priorities are director of football appointed then manager and coaches recruited. Get rid of mick phelan and all the other stragglers. Then look at the team and recruit once an indenting is established.

redmanx

Will always support utd through the worst of times, but I have to say these are dark times. Ten Hag is the answer to our problems. I really hope the board is not clueless and hires Poch.
Poch is supposedly the poster boy, poser boy more like. If we go with him it will be another 5 years of anguish and little else.

big rons sovereign

First half was decent, even if the possession was fairly sterile, but yet again we only turned up for a single half. It’s quite staggering how poor and panicked we were with the ball after conceding.

Bruno really disappointed me yet again against a good team in a key game. He frequently looks out of his depth against sides of this quality. Rashford is just utterly gone at this point. I can’t explain that one.

Our team at the end was a depressing sight. Cavani, Mata, Matic and Pogba are surely gone at the end of the season, and there’s big doubts over Rashford and Ronaldo too. We’re in a real mess and it feels grim after every defeat.

Referee was shite, but they could have given us 90 minutes of injury time without us scoring.
Thought Mata did ok in his cameo. He came on and started passing it forwards.

Acole9

Outstanding
One of the most disappointing things was that Atletico team were there for the taking. They looked rather average.

redmanx

We won't win the title for a decade probably. So we may as well break up this squad and start over. For the money spent on it, in fees and wages, this squad may be the worst value in world football.

PS) Ref needs investigating
In regards of value for money youre right!

Schmeichel=God

Ah well, not the end of the world, saves us drawing City, Liverpool or Chelsea in the next round and getting a spanking off them . We can concentrate on trying to qualify for the Europa league or the Conference next season now.
Conference league hopefully and blood the youngsters

always_hoping

This season knocked out of the League,cup, FA Cup and Champions league in Old Trafford. The theatre of nightmares its become.

wr8_utd

:'(
Another 'play well for 40 minutes' performance. Of course it's hard to play against a team like Atletico when they're 1-0 up but the fact that the most urgency shown in the second half was by a substitute, Matic, is really disappointing. We had NO clue how to break them down whatsoever.

They are a far more savvy team than us but they're not as good as previous Atletico teams and I don't think they'll get anywhere near the final other than by a good draw. The thing that disappoints me the most is that we probably could have won this game if Elanga had scored and they had been forced into attack. Game was virtually over when they scored.

That goal was just utter crap btw :houllier: Seems every fecking match there's a chance like that against us where there are huge gaps everywhere and the players don't know where they're meant to be. Varane and Maguire have to win those balls if they're going to step out of defence otherwise it just leaves an open defence.
And this is very disappointing/embarrassing because Atleti have the 3rd worst defense in the Top 13 in Liga. Teams like Getafe have gone and scored 3 away at Atleti and yet we managed just one over 180 minutes. If this was an ordinary Atleti team, it was understandable but to be this poor at creating against the worst Atleti defense in a decade is an extremely bad look.

Polar

Why have we stopped playing on our strengths (more determined and speedy transitions)?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A season of nothing but hoping Liverpool don't win. Classic.

big rons sovereign

First off, the ref. One of the poorest displays of officiating I’ve seen at Old Trafford. A joke. Not even going to go into the fouls but letting them have a water break after their goal, adding one minute stoppage time on 45 minutes (two head injury stoppages, a goal, Bruno down for 2 minutes, etc), not giving a drop ball when he touched it, turning his back on their substitutions whilst they just saunter off and stopping play for every fecking one of their head injuries yet when we go down with our first late in the game he just plays on. Guy was a cheating cnut.

However, we were poor. No invention, rinse and repeat the same shite all game. Couldn’t see us scoring. Maguire a jibbering wreck, Rashford a complete waste of a shirt, no tempo, just an insipid, wet fart of a performance (we started quite well) and Atletico weren’t even that good. They’ll get spanked by the next team they play.
Oh that ref is bent alright.
I was sat right up in the gods and everybody around could see what Madrid were up to, get ball, lean into United player then fall over.
Time and time again.
He'd give them a free for it, but then wave play on going the other way.
His little chats with them at every set piece, was he discussing tactics with them or something?
Shocking stuff.

Irwin99

And this is very disappointing/embarrassing because Atleti have the 3rd worst defense in the Top 13 in Liga. Teams like Getafe have gone and scored 3 away at Atleti and yet we managed just one over 180 minutes. If this was an ordinary Atleti team, it was understandable but to be this poor at creating against the worst Atleti defense in a decade is an extremely bad look.
Agree, this is not the Diego Godin led Atletico Madrid from a few years back that was an absolute nightmare for teams to play against. They're a decent team but it's not like we were beaten by an elite side I feel, even if they won the league last year.

Aretak

Probably better to get it out of the way now really. It'd have been far worse to sneak through and get absolutely battered by Bayern or City or Liverpool. Atletico did what they always do and it was ultimately pretty comfortable for them. The referee was a complete clown, but it didn't change much.

This United side has absolutely run its course and there's very little worth salvaging in my opinion. I don't think next season is going to be pretty either, no matter who comes in as manager. The work that needs to be done isn't going to happen in one transfer window.

Infra-red

With top 4 realistically out of reach, that's season over for United.

Up there with the Moyes season as the most disappointing of the last 30 years?

Cloud7

Fletch getting a yellow card gave me a flashback to the old days when we were actually good and watching the team was fun. I should have appreciated those days more when they were around.

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 240 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atletico Madrid win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 39% Man Utd 2:1 Atletico Madrid
  • 15% Man Utd 2:0 Atletico Madrid