EL D Europa League Group L

AZ Alkmaar 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 03 October 2019

Bestielob

European experience for the younger players. Otherwise, abysmal
True, but that experience will be worthless, because i can't see us even qualifying for the Europa league any time soon if we stick with Ole.

AFC NimbleThumb

Ole's job isn't to keep us informed and entertained through insightful press conferences. It's quite likely he has had, or will have, conversations with players who put in unacceptable performances, but the manner in which it's done should be private and respectful. He would gain absolutely nothing beneficial from going public. Long may his press conferences continue to be boring and cliched.
Agreed. His job isn’t to keep us informed & entertained [via his press conferences]. His job is to win football matches, something he’s done 5 times in the last 20-odd games.

Private & respectful. Sir Alex tore into his Aberdeen side on the pitch after they won a cup final. Wenger was notorious for blaming anything but his players. Rafa talked ‘fahcts’ which were opinions because his team weren’t up to scratch. There isn’t any one way to manage successfully but currently the way OgS is going about it; press conferences, tactics & all other things, is woefully wrong.

“It’s quite likely”, when will people stop using what they think/assume has happened. We don’t know. I’m judging OgS on the limited interactions, what he actually says & how the team perform but apparently we can’t judge him on that. We have to judge him on what it is ‘quite likely’ he will or won’t do.

Coming out & saying your happy with our recent performances isn’t being cliched, it’s demented.

Steerpike

Agreed. His job isn’t to keep us informed & entertained [via his press conferences]. His job is to win football matches, something he’s done 5 times in the last 20-odd games.

Private & respectful. Sir Alex tore into his Aberdeen side on the pitch after they won a cup final. Wenger was notorious for blaming anything but his players. Rafa talked ‘fahcts’ which were opinions because his team weren’t up to scratch. There isn’t any one way to manage successfully but currently the way OgS is going about it; press conferences, tactics & all other things, is woefully wrong.

“It’s quite likely”, when will people stop using what they think/assume has happened. We don’t know. I’m judging OgS on the limited interactions, what he actually says & how the team perform but apparently we can’t judge him on that. We have to judge him on what it is ‘quite likely’ he will or won’t do.

Coming out & saying your happy with our recent performances isn’t being cliched, it’s demented.
... or it may simply be untrue. He can be unhappy with the performances without feeling any obligation to say so to the media. Most managers would rather skip the whole charade most of the time, so you have to accept that what they say is likely to be little more than going through the motions.

You're right that his job is to deliver results, and he knows that too. If he feels that wearing his heart on his sleeve in front of the media would perk results up, I'm sure he'd give it a try. His record in competitive games this season (last season is irrelevant now) is won 3, drawn 5, lost 2 - certainly not brilliant, but not exactly a catastrophe either.

Regarding the tirade from Sir Alex after the Scottish League Cup final win over Rangers, the man himself admitted it had been a mistake and regretted doing it.

Pjisared

Just as a matter of interest.
It has been noted and mentioned numerous times on tonight’s forum that we had no shots on target.
Surely Greenwood’s shot in the first half that was saved by the g.k. count.

SmithLogic

Greenwood always looked so confused or concerned. The ruffles on his forehead spoke volumes about how much faith he had in the lack of creative play behind and beside him. Poor lad.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
At least Fred was looking to make something happen, as poorly as he played. Incredibly frustrating that we basically refused to put any balls into the box, and just passed it around the back until we lost it. No shots on target. Against AZ. It's embarrassing. Look at the body language, we're a lethargic team, we literally look like we don't like playing football and we don't like running. And the time we spend on the ball, looking up field, seeing God knows what, then usually turning to play a sideways pass.

Watching Mata all season is going to get real old, real fast.

Denis79

Yes it was a penalty but Fred also should have had a penalty given against him.
It's not about winning or losing anymore, our football in general is extremely poor. Even if we did get a penalty and won, would it have been a good performance? He needs to stop with the excuses, I really dislike that in his recent interviews. If he said that the performance wasn't good enough and that we need to improve, I don't see how that would portrait a bad picture, point fingers or damage morale. Own up and rectify!

caid

It's not about winning or losing anymore, our football in general is extremely poor. Even if we did get a penalty and won, would it have been a good performance? He needs to stop with the excuses, I really dislike that in his recent interviews. If he said that the performance wasn't good enough and that we need to improve, I don't see how that would portrait a bad picture, point fingers or damage morale. Own up and rectify!
We dont have the solutions to rectify it. The squad we have is bad.

Denis79

Our squad is terrible but doing the same thing week in and out won't make it better. Ole is a legend at the club, fans who followed the club during his career won't think less of him however this ends but please just stop with excuses, admit when we are bad and try to change things.

In Rainbows

Greenwood has shown talent he can score goals. He is just 17. I see the technique but lack of physicality. So we need to be little patience with him and let him grow physically to compete with men.

Gomes on the other hand I kept saying he is nowhere a good player to start in PL let alone for a club like united. He is a decorated academy Fred. Trickery without technique. I hope he improves in next 3-4 years but I don't have high hope. This is the age player usually have low maturity, physical attribute but the technique should be there, like what we see in Greenwood.
How on earth can you watch Gomes and think he has trickery without technique? He's literally the most technical player in the team and 99% of prospects don't have his technique. Gomes only negative is that he is too patient at times and doesn't assert himself like today. It has nothing to do with technique.

Adcuth

Greenwood has shown talent he can score goals. He is just 17. I see the technique but lack of physicality. So we need to be little patience with him and let him grow physically to compete with men.

Gomes on the other hand I kept saying he is nowhere a good player to start in PL let alone for a club like united. He is a decorated academy Fred. Trickery without technique. I hope he improves in next 3-4 years but I don't have high hope. This is the age player usually have low maturity, physical attribute but the technique should be there, like what we see in Greenwood.
Are you sure you know which one Gomes is? Granted he might not be ready for the first team but lack of technique is the least of his issues.

croadyman

After watching tonight's game there are four areas that are badly lacking, quality delivery from the wide areas, controlling midfielder, creative midfielder and a clinical striker.

caid

Our squad is terrible but doing the same thing week in and out won't make it better. Ole is a legend at the club, fans who followed the club during his career won't think less of him however this ends but please just stop with excuses, admit when we are bad and try to change things.
I'm not excusing him, he hasn't done particularly well with a weak team. I just dont want woodward to be the one looking for a replacement.

kiristao

I have to disagree. Player for player, we have a better squad than Alkmaar or West Ham. Yet they looked much better organized defensively and more of a threat going forward. We need to stop making excuses of how we don't have players. The same players minus Maquire and AWB were scoring goals for fun at the start of Oles reign.
For me it's the lack of urgency that's the problem. We are playing like the LVG era with slow possession based football without the tactical structure that he gave us.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I thought Teun Koopmeiners looked alright. Anyone who watches the Dutch league know about him? @KirkDuyt
He's a talented kid for sure. Him, Doan and Stengs are all bright prospects at AZ. Not on the level of the Ajax kids and it's a bit early to say how good they'll be, but certainly talented.

Completely inept to break teams down. Not a single decent through ball. Absolutely shocking performance.

Matić and Fred delivered one the worst midfield performances I have ever seen. Fred had a bad day at the office and Matić was the definition of "cba".

I was really hoping for 2 uplifting displays before Liverpool. This was a good opportunity to grind out a bit of confidence before Newcastle and Liverpool.

We need to start looking more settled and comfortable. Every opponent we meet just seems way faster, more settled and fluid going forward.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I haven't watched the game but how did ole and his group of hungry local talent that gets what playing for Manchester United is all about did?

manunited1919

There were some positives:
Rojo, Lindelof & Williams had good games.

But once again, our midfield just unbearable:
Matic doesn’t have the legs
Fred, oh my. I lost count of how many terrible passes and plays he made. £50m down the drain or should he be playing in another position?

Lingard came in for a few minutes, finally had a good game.

LoneStar

This is probably the lowest we have sunk post Fergie. In terms of the football and the results.

We can still salvage this season, if we get a new manager in now. Literally most of the managers in other PL teams would be an improvement on Ole.

I love the guy as a player and he seems a really decent human being as well, but he's a shite manager. Needs to go.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I’m not going to be too critical of Ole even though I have been recently.

We played Monday, played a lot of kids, have an eye on Sunday, and got a point.

Just gonna forget and move on, if we don’t win on Sunday then I think we might care the end of Ole.

Pughnichi

True, but that experience will be worthless, because i can't see us even qualifying for the Europa league any time soon if we stick with Ole.
It’s a difficult one.

He is clearing out well

And his signings have been good

And he’ll give youth a chance

And we can’t go an a perpetual cycle of hiring and firing managers

...and he’s a legend

But negating all that. The football is terrible.

Id be inclined to give him another 12 months. In that time 4 more signings and then let’s see how he does. He has after all inherited an awful squad

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Matic is a completely different player than the one that played in his first season with us (or at least half of it). Really mystified on what happened to him.

Scriblerus

Obviously not a good performance. But is anyone making allowances for that horrible pitch, which made any weighted passing a problem. You can't split a defence if the ball is going to just race on out of play. Home side used to its pace and bounce, we not.

Snuffkin

We just looked like we have done recently. No goal threat. But if you lose your two strikers without replacing then it is inevitable we will struggle.
Dalot played well I thought, looked better going forward than AWB.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Obviously not a good performance. But is anyone making allowances for that horrible pitch, which made any weighted passing a problem. You can't split a defence if the ball is going to just race on out of play. Home side used to its pace and bounce, we not.
That wasn't the pitch the home side plays on usually.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's a talented kid for sure. Him, Doan and Stengs are all bright prospects at AZ. Not on the level of the Ajax kids and it's a bit early to say how good they'll be, but certainly talented.
Thnks for the response!

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 288 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • AZ Alkmaar win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% AZ Alkmaar 1:1 Man Utd