CL L Champions League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg

Barcelona 3:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 16 April 2019

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I never said I want him gone and I don't. That doesn't mean I won't call him out when he's playing like a sack of shite like he did today.
I hope he does. He deserves to play in a decent side, that wins stuff and we're fans can appreciate his talent.

killerboi2

Now sorry if this offends anyone, but man where are the fans eye of the tiger mentality in these big European games? I just don't see it in some fans like I do when we are up against English teams. Fans giggling nervously before the game about how "Messi is going to destroy us". This mentality isn't doing any good for the players in my opinion and could be part of the reason for the ridiculous De Gea and Young blunders.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We schooled Ajax in EL Final. They then sold one of their best CB, and bought our reject.
While we spent hundreds of millions, and become one of the biggest spender on wages in the entire world of football.

Now Ajax just demolished Madrid and Juventus, while we need to replace almost half the team. In just a few years.

edgecutter

Why are people surprised about this result? We have said for years young, Smalling and Jones aren't good enough and they are still here starting games. Hopefully this performance highlights to the Glazer's that we are light years behind the top clubs and a DOF is needed ASAP.

ArjenIsM3

I hope he does. He deserves to play in a decent side, that wins stuff and we're fans can appreciate his talent.
Fair enough he should have better players by his side, but I just hope that happens by us improving instead of him leaving.

Iowred

I 100% agree. But commercial activity will plummet without success. We need very very very rich owners.
I don’t think our owners need to be rich they just need to not be greedy feckers and let OGS have both his transfer budget and whatever he recoups from player sales. The other problem is the probable big one in that Woodward, for all of his commercial qualities is NOT a football man and his dithering has and may again cost us. We need a football guy at the top who will support OGS in getting in the right players and paying them she right amount of money on sensible contract lengths. No more Sanchez/Pogba/Lukaku galatico style signing, they simply are not the united way

VP

Most worrying was how easily we were deflated after their goals. Need to be way more resilient in every sense.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Now sorry if this offends anyone, but man where are the fans eye of the tiger mentality in these big European games? I just don't see it in some fans like I do when we are up against English teams. Fans giggling nervously before the game about how "Messi is going to destroy us". This mentality isn't doing any good for the players in my opinion and could be part of the reason for the ridiculous De Gea and Young blunders.
Are you insinuating that Young and DeGea were reading RedCafe during the build up to the game leading to the ballsing up rather than 1. Young being chronically shit and 2. De Gea making an error.

If so, good luck getting promoted.

Ibrahimorich

We schooled Ajax in EL Final. They then sold one of their best CB, and bought our reject.
While we spent hundreds of millions, and become one of the biggest spender on wages in the entire world of football.

Now Ajax just demolished Madrid and Juventus, while we need to replace almost half the team. In just a few years.
It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us

and the people that have to look at what the problem is, are Woodward and the Glazers. Good luck

tonnas

young is embarassing, if we really want to compete we need an overhaul, the team is simply not good enough, I have no faith whatsoever that we will get it right...

joedirt87

You just have to look at Tampa Bay and see how they fare. Decades of being one of the worst teams in NFL.
That's Glazers.
And I don't really want to go all political but they also raise money for fecking Donald Trump's campaign.
Really incredible owners.
Being a fan of both United and the Buccaneers its hard to compare the two other than both teams they own suck right now. The Glazers dont meddle with the GM or coach, and they spend money in free agency, right now the Bucs have one of the least amount of cap space available, which tells you they are spending money. Stupidly, but they are spending it. We can look deeper and say the problem is who they are hiring, and the GM would compare to Ed Woodward. So it's time to get rid of Ed, or hopefully let him deal with the sponsporships and get that director of football in. And I have been pro Woodward in the sense that I think he's clueless about football, and goes out to do his best signing the players the managers have wanted.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just crap. Even with the bright start it was the same as usual - shitting out at the last and most important moment. Whether it's a shit touch, a crap shot, not hitting it first time when they should, or a poor final ball, you can safely bet on us cocking it up.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah I understand your point for sure. I just hate those moribund games when an entire half of football is just a pointless struggle, particularly when we've gifted the opposition the keys. I agree a blowout of a summer, then the PL and EL are the priorities next time.
It's been a while since a second half has been such a write off.

Siorac

All in on the top 4 basket now. 5 league games to decide whether we see Champions League football or not next season.
In our current form, it wouldn't be a shock if we didn't get more than a single point in the next three games.

AngliaRed

We need to realise we will be top 6 at best for a good couple of years yet.

A champions league QF and a fight for top 4 is our ceiling, and even with 3-4 players this summer will probably be next season too. It all takes time.

pascell

Quite frankly embarassing and a testament to where we are as a club right now that we are still playing these average players.
The same game Vidic did his ACL iirc. In that time he came back from that injury, left United in 2014, played 2 seasons for Inter before retiring, five years ago.

Whiteside '85

Chronic mismanagement explained in a few paragraphs

Ace of Spades

Not too surprised we lost honestly. My realistic expectations were for a draw at best. This is a team that have not lost at home in the CL knockouts since 2013, our chace was fairly low, with the quality of our team.

RedAlways78

What can I say? I really don’t know what I can say.

Nothing good about this team that’s for sure!!

Top 4 is looking less likely every day.

MrBest

Literally rubbish. The pub i was in, everyone stopped watching after 60 mins and turned to Ajax. Lingard jones smalling young would they get into barca squad? So starting to think if pogba martial rashford would. They are way too inconsistent. Man of the match for me, Fred. Think he controlled his game well and worked okay with Mctominay. Ole subs were bizzare, how did lingard last long? I genuinely forgot he was playing. Regardless, i didnt expect to beat psg, happy we got to quarters and now i hope we focus on get 4th. Distractions are over. Big revamp needed in the summer, we all know this. Ole hasost 5 out of 7, really not good enough.

Robertd0803

Well that was a f*****g disaster/entirely predictable/whatever. Trying to avoid swearing being difficult.

The only upside I can hope for tonight is that the clowns in charge see the gulf in class between the 2 sides and actually do something about it. I doubt it somehow though,more than likely though we will end having an official partnership with a crocodile farm and some PR nonsense about being the richest club in the world.

Castia

Quite frankly embarassing and a testament to where we are as a club right now that we are still playing these average players.

Just seen that on my Twitter timeline....absolute disgrace to be honest isn't it.

They've been rewarded multiple new deals during that time what a fecking shit show.

United Hobbit

I'm just reading the interviews on the BBC site Ole has just used the following words "We have to aspire to get to that level of Barcelona"

Least it's not Liverpool this time but isn't that what Moyes said about City or Liverpool cant remember what one....

We were never expected to beat Barca. They were surprisingly poor in the first leg, unfortunately we did not take our chances. They weren't great until they scored. Again we didn't take our chances. I agree with Ole that Messi was fantastic however despite all his goals he's scored look at the desire he still showed. As soon as they scored we almost seemed to just accept that we weren't winning, however had we got 2 goals and kept them out we were through. People watching in the pub I was in were actually shocked at De Gea's error. We gave them so much space for each of their goals and couldn't take any of our own chances

Ole has an absolutely massive rebuild this summer, I'd like to see young, hungry players. I do not want the likes of Bale- getting older and injury prone however can Ed and co be trusted to get the right signings? Can Ole suggest the right players? I just hope they arent hollow words he's saying about the type of players he wants. Will the players we are after want to join if we dont get CL?

We need to get going again for the weekend, unfortunately this has the potential to extend the run of poor form as the players will be "affected" by this so top 4 could potentially be gone, yes credit to Ole for getting us to where we could be included in the top 4 challenge but again we have put ourselves back in this position.

If we weren't still needing that all important 4th place I'd almost be tempted to say to play a lot of the kids for the last few games to have a proper chance to assess them at PL level. At least then we know exactly how close each one is to being ready and whether any of them are close to being ready for first team action next season, potentially saving buying a player for a position if one of them can offer reliable back up. Or which ones will benefit from loans etc.

I think we need to treat the Europa if we end up in it exactly how Jose treated it and how Chelsea and Arsenal seem to be treating it eg take it seriously and aim to win it as top 4 is by no means guaranteed next season either

While Jose was his own worst enemy with how he behaved I can believe some of what he said about the players

Reactions: Penna

Devil may care

I never expected us to win so I can't call it a huge disappointment, we were ok for the first 10 minutes and created opening's for Rashford and McTominay that we failed to capitalize on. The first Messi goal was sloppy from Young and then he just ghosted across to open up the shot as he's done so many times before. At that point we were technically in the same boat we started in, needing two to win, the De Gea mistake to gift Messi a second ended things and the 2nd half was just them passing us off the park.

Our inability to play out from the back along with the lack of true top quality in the front line is getting exposed, Ole is going to need some major investment in the summer.

Okey

Schooled, Outclassed...by quality. And until we get quality in, this will continue to happen. There's only so far spirit can carry you, if you're deficient in quality. Never mind the manager, we have a forward thinking one at the moment (Barca aren't managed by a superstar manager by the way). It's time for the club to show the level of their ambition. Big, big summer(s) ahead...

kundalini

The errors killed us. Young another shocking performance. De Gea errors far too common recently.

Pogba started well then lost his head.

Martial and Lingard just seem to vanish for long spells.

Jones, Lindelof and Smalling tried hard. Smalling tracking Suarez instead of letting him run offside, wasn't a great decision, as it gave Messi the space he needed.

Strange to see McTominay sprinting back in the last few mins. Was that meant to shame certain team-mates ?

Sanchez looked very good in his few mins on the pitch.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
:lol:

Jeffthered

Well, I had hope, but to be honest, we have been shown exactly where we are as a squad. Barca were never really troubled throughout the tie. Juve the same. PSG fell apart and we capitalised (greatly of course...), but we are not at that level.

Ole has just said that the side needs to be rebuilt and there will be signings. He knows how things are. I think we could get rid of a whole load, and play a good few youngsters, because some of these well-paid hyped up players we have are pretty average at best. They are not United players because they lack the mentality. And they have been allowed to lower the standards of the club, and this is what really makes me angry. We should not have so many meek, average, nothing players.

Cockney Phil

What a shambles - hard to find anything positive. The team the Sacked One built has finally reached its nadir with a display barely above kindergarten level.

We don’t have the kind of top players to compete with Messi et al. We have too many divas, on too much money and very little identity with the ambitions of the club or fans. More money has been spent than the GDP of a country but our squad have no drive, no guile, no ambition, no energy etc etc. Mega bucks for less than mediocrity. We could offload the forwards and a third of the midfield and the result would have been the same.

I might have respected Ole more if he had played all the kids - unless of course he was giving the seniors their last glimpse of ECL footy before they’re shown the door. We need some radical changes this summer because we could free fall into a mid-level team.

killerboi2

Are you insinuating that Young and DeGea were reading RedCafe during the build up to the game leading to the ballsing up rather than 1. Young being chronically shit and 2. De Gea making an error.

If so, good luck getting promoted.
The problem runs far deeper than Redcafe unfortunately. It's the general overhyping of foreign teams and too much respect shown both by the media and fans. A good example is how the cringeworthy fawning by United fans of Pep Guardiola drastically reduced once he became Man City manager. This is how it always should have been when he was at Barca This mentality isn't doing any good for our players in my opinion.

Branchofscience

Was really looking forward to this game. So much hope and expectation. Then Ashley Young decides to feck about with the ball when Messi is lurking. What the hell was he doing there trying to play a one two on the edge of the box with Messi hounding him. This is a player with over a decades worth of experience and to do that in a game of this magnitude beggars belief.

Why did we stop playing the direct ball to Radford? Our whole game went to pot. Why are we not trying the same moves . We have no set pattern of play grinding down the opposition.

There is not much positive you can take out from a game like this. Other than how far behind the best teams we are.

Whiteside '85

You just have to look at Tampa Bay and see how they fare. Decades of being one of the worst teams in NFL.
That's Glazers.
And I don't really want to go all political but they also raise money for fecking Donald Trump's campaign.
Really incredible owners.
This fact just scares me. Anyway proves we need wholesale changes at this club and not just players.

Trizy

You know what's the worst part of the whole 2 legs? 3 of their goals came from mistakes and if our forwards weren't shite we'd have scored at least 3 too.

I'm not going to pretend we're on par with Barcelona, or deserve to be in the semi. But if Rashford wasn't shite at finishing we win that game.

r0663664

Worships Man City
There are telling sign that Ole effect is gone. We barely beat West Ham at home, I couldn’t bother waking up at 3am to watch this game as it is a forgone conclusion. How it it possible to beat Barcelona if we suck at beating West Ham? The likes of Lingard, Smalling, Young, Rojo, Bailey, Darmain and etc are still around. These players can’t even sit on Barcelona bench and yet we have many. I hope Ole get ruthless and start shipping them out. Bring a 3-4 decent players and promote youngster for next season.

johanovic

Looking at our squad I would only say that De Gea, Dalot,Lindelof,Shaw,Smalling(squad player),Jones(squad player)Pogba,Fred,McTominay(squad player),Martial(he has to work much harder) and Rashford are worth keeeping and some of those are just there because I´m trying to be positive.

I know we will not get rid of all the rest but Sanchez,Lukaku,Matic,Herrera(Gone?),Mata,Lingard,Pereira,Darmian,Valencia(going),Young,Rojo,Bailly are not going to do anything for us. Martial is one of the layziest players around, Lukaku has the touch of a elephant and the rest are just rubbish.

So ít´s no matter what magic wand we think could be used to sort us out, the plain truth is that the quality of the playing squad is just nowhere good enough. So there needs to be a proper reboot and let´s start that. Seeing Ajax play with a young team where it´s clear what their playing style is like was great and we must give the younger players their chance. They can not be worse than many of those players in the squad already. On top of that we need around 6 to 7 new signings and after clearing out this deadwood it will free up a lot of wages. Go big in for De Light and Wan Bissaka for the defence. Go for Sancho for the right wing. Go for Ndombele and Joao Felix. Go for Moussa Dembele for the striker position.

Have a small squad for next season:

GK: De Gea, Henderson, young backup keeper
Rb: Bissaka,Dalot,Laird,O´connor
CB:Lindelof,De Light,Smalling,Tuanzebe,Jones
LB:Shaw,Dalot
Mid:Pogba,Fred,Ndombele,McTominay,
Rw:Sancho,Dalot,Chong,
AM:Felix,Gomes
Lw:Martil,Rashford,Chong,
Striker:Rashford,Dembele,Greenwood

Player Ratings

3.9 Total Average Rating