CL L Champions League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg

Barcelona 3:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 16 April 2019

Reiver

It was men vs boys at times and unfortunately we were the boys. If OGS had any doubts about the extent of the job he has on his hands in getting us back to the top then this game should have resolved it for him.
That being said I'm still optimistic that with a full preseason and starting to ship players out and bringing his own in that we can really kick on next season.
We pulled off a hell of a result against PSG, one I'm not sure I would have said we were capable of. This result seems more like the reality of where we're at. I'm not going to blame OGS for it and I'm not going to panic. If he's the manager in 3 years time and we're still no closer that's a different story. But right now I'm still hopeful he is moving us in the right direction.

tomaldinho1

We start well, gift them tow goals and then the rest of the game is a training match. We are a sum of our parts - essentially 3 very poor managerial appointments with contrasting philosophies and untold riches spent on a huge amount of tripe in the transfer window. Every year recently there has been a rebuild thread but this year I think it might actually happen.

No better way to really start a new era than to move on players who simply are not/never have been/never will be good enough

Member 115509

Barcelona didn't even have to work that hard to win the tie by four clear goals. OGS must now know, if he didn't already, the monumental task he now faces.
Tonight was a bit embarrassing overall, Barcelona were vulnerable at times but United lacked the quality to take advantage of it.
Ajax-Barcelona in the final hopefully.

bdspeedy

You just have to look at Tampa Bay and see how they fare. Decades of being one of the worst teams in NFL.
That's Glazers.
And I don't really want to go all political but they also raise money for fecking Donald Trump's campaign.
Really incredible owners.
Sigh. I can't even retreat to the FOOTBALL FORUM of the caf for a respite from politics. You obviously DO want to go political. FECK OFF with the political crap. Take it to the appropriate forum.

Cardozo

When Ole joined we had no chance of top 4 and was fearing our game tie with PSG.

We now have a chance and reached the quarter finals in epic fashion.

For the people ranting about Ole, you’re moving the goal posts for what is the measure of success.

Other than grind this out on penalties it was an almost impossible task.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Felt like 2009 again. 10 minutes of happiness, 80 minutes of being schooled.

We need a 5 year plan. A big overhaul. We dont need superstars, but we need to build capability from the roots to the top.

As others have alluded to, moving the goalposts in regards to Ole's success as our manager is unfair. But evidently, this team is poor and once the curtain is closed on this season we need to see how ruthless he is as a manager and see if he has the balls to make big decisions now.

KristianMackle

We gave that game away. After two silly mistakes, tie is over after 20 minutes. You just cant prepare your team for that kind of buffoonery.

After making Barca nervous and jittery in the first 10 minutes and wasting two sitters, we give Barca two goals and take all the pressure off. Now they can just relax and pass it about like practice.

Oh what could've been.

minoo-utd

Europa league next year, we will still have Young and Lingard in the team, fecking cheers.

How Ole plays Lingard? Please I need to understand! How Young is a regular and a captain? Many questions need to be asked! Bad subs, team can't get his shit together.

Oh my we need huge investment.

AdjectiveNoun

I wonder how it would have turned out if we had an elite striker to put those two early chances away

predator

Youth NITK
I thought we'd get stuffed at the Nou camp directly after what I saw at OT but the past few days somehow made me think we could cause an upset.

Seeing Messi, Suarez, Coutinho, Busquets, Rakitic, Pique, Alba though in the build up just made me expect the inevitable.

I don't feel ashamed of our performance tonight whatsoever. I've seen Barca over the past 10 years with that one man core (messi) pull the world's best defenders apart, I've seen their system work numerous times against the most tactically astute teams.

The fact is Barcelona, with Messi, and very good players around him will do as they did tonight against anyone.

All the remaining teams in the competition will cause them more problems than us but I think they can stuff anyone when they at their best.

lex talionis

I hope no one here was shocked to have learned how far ahead of us Barcelona are. After all, the GOAT was on the pitch and up for the occasion.

We learned nothing that we didn't already know, that the best side in Spain is far better than a side scraping to make fourth place but this was still hard to watch.

minoo-utd

Ole should have started Lukaku and Sanchez not Rashford and Lingard, they are his favorite for sorry but they are shite.

The Irish Connection

In positive news, we battered them for 15 minutes, then young and the center halves left Messi get the shot and De Gea made a howler and we’re dead.
But we played some nice stuff for that period.
We also played some nice stuff in another few 5 minute spells when we got the ball.
Our midfield was decent.
Fred and Mctominay played well again, their energy and intensity is the way forward.
Rashford looks better as a 9 but still needs to get more clinical.
We created good chances and openings in both legs and deserved a couple goals but for poor/inexperienced finishing.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
In the starting line-up today, only four United players were bought after SAF left the club, and that is a very worrying sign after so much expenditure on new players in that period.

Run_time_error

I would have preferred Dalot as starting right back, he has to be given the chance to develop. Martial has lost it as a threat at the moment and Lingard too. Are they all tired because Ole is trying to up their fitness? At the end of the day losing to this Barca team is not the end of the world but maybe it should be the end of the road for some of the players.

El Zoido

It’s hard to know where to start when trying to dissect this. Knowing how far off the elite level we are is one thing, seeing it laid bare on the pitch is another thing entirely, it’s very tough to watch.

Jeffthered

Ajax have a 19 year old captain, and are further in the competition than Real Madrid, Man Utd, PSG and Juventus.

They keep their traditions, throughout their club, and their fans and backers all support their model.

They will bank zillions, sell a few and still be competitive next season

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I don't think tonight means much. Getting panned away to Barca is the norm for any team, not the exception. The only surprise is that Messi didn't get a hat trick.

If there's a single lesson it's that we need a really good DoF.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We've literally been a dog chasing their tail since that last CL final with Barca haven't we?
Spanked us just like they did back then too.
806million pounds spent since SAF left and we're still here :lol:

AndyMUFC

Just outclassed. To be fair I didn't expect much else. It's always been a struggle against Barca and despite what some say, they are still extremely likely to win the whole thing again.

It's just a shame we gifted them two goals, as particularly the second and the mistake from De Gea killed the game after a promising start and we were just taught a lesson for the rest of it.

It is a reminder that the majority of this team are not good enough at the top level though.

Dash247

For the amount of wages our players get, they should be performing a lot better than what they have been putting in. I feel that's the part of the problem tbh. Since we pay such a high salary, it's leads to players not trying to improve or strive for a better pay in long run. They make so much money that they are sitting in their comfort zone knowing they will get the money. I think that needs to change a little bit. With earnings like 300-400 k a week, players should be banging goals at will. With 150-300 k, they should be a top player with decent performance each week. I am not against players earning more, but it should be progressive.

Ventura

Maybe the least surprising result this season and the last few seasons. We already knew our squad was a patchwork to put it nicely, and this result didn't add to the worries. We still have a lot of work to do in the summer.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Outclassed in every way possible. Masterclass from Messi. United are miles away from winning the big trophies.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

We all knew we were not at Barca’s level. Even with Liverpoolesque fluke it was going to be unlikely.

Let’s move on, comrades. Win 4 of the 5 league games and I reckon we’ll get a top 4 place. More than achievable.

Scott Buttery

Tonight was no surprise, neither will it be a shock when we finish 6th. That is just who we are atm. We have so many mid to low table players its a shock we make it as high as 6th tbh. Pogba is a luxury player, will look great at Real surrounded by class players that will protect him. Rashford (i'll brace myself for the hate) is a great young lad BUT his finishing isn't good enough for a top class team. We need a top class finisher now, not in 2/3 years. Granted, he has everything to be an amazing player for years but he needs to be more ruthless in front of goal. That said, i don't mean he hasn't scored good goals (Spurs) great finish but tonight in the opening moments he fluffed it...big moments win big games. Martial? Can look like a god every 5th/6th game sooo inconsistent its frustrating. Sanchez? We brought in to play as a inside forward left, like Martial and even Rashford at that time. Just a player we didn't need. Smalling, Jones, young, Herrera, Matic, Lingard all can do a job but only as squad players. We need pace, youth and that missing hunger. Will we get the right players in....who knows!

Armchair Manager

Supports
Northampton
I'll get laughed at but if it were not for De Gea's mistake things might have been different

I really don't get the commentators fawning over Barcelona, they really weren't that good
Come on mate, barca scored 4 and conceded none. Now there are only two ways a team can score 4 and not concede any.
1) If they were good.
2) Opposition were bad.

No way in football can you say it was none of those two, not when score is 4-0. My words may seem harsh but give credit where its due. Only goal utd could have saved was messi's 2nd. All others were unstoppable and gave nobody any chance.

Now tell me if it was 1 or 2?

Patrick08

First leg poor start, decent after the goal all game. Second leg, great start unexpectedly but poor game all over after the game. Poor in final third in both games.

Red Star One

In the starting line-up today, only four United players were bought after SAF left the club, and that is a very worrying sign after so much expenditure on new players in that period.
Nothing wrong with Rash, Jesse and McTominay being academy guys and starting - I’m quite proud of that in fact, but the thing is they were not good enough tonight and I’m not sure they’ll ever show quality needed at these stages of champions league. I will leave defence without a comment, because if I speak I’m in big trouble.

Zlatattack

I'm glad they got schooled. Heavy investment is needed, but before we spend a penny it's 10 times more important to get rid of the dross.

chromepaxos

Ajax have a 19 year old captain, and are further in the competition than Real Madrid, Man Utd, PSG and Juventus.

They keep their traditions, throughout their club, and their fans and backers all support their model.

They will bank zillions, sell a few and still be competitive next season
I like Ajax but I'm not sure this is necessarily true. They have been super-lucky to have two world class talents come through simultaneously which makes everything look amazing, but as we saw with the class of 92, that success with youngsters is unlikely to be repeatable.

Three years ago everyone thought Monaco had the magic formula and could sell players and just keep on rolling. Where are they now?

Player Ratings

3.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 355.64285714286 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Barcelona win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Barcelona 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Barcelona 3:0 Man Utd