CL L Champions League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg

Barcelona 3:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 16 April 2019

Moriarty

This. Ed Woodward has tarnished the club and I hope David Gill either mentors him or gives him a piece of his mind.
A moneyman not even playing moneyball but playing marketingball.
David Gill can take a long walk off a short pier. It was his 180 that helped set this shit in motion. And don't forget Edwards. There's plenty of blame to go around.

Zed 101

So many goals in the last month gifted to the oposition, would probably still be in the FA cup and 3 points better off in the league if we hadn't gifted goals away

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No, people were legit upset and said we fully deserved the result. Most people were on board that we played a great, heroic game or something. I think it looked like the players had yellow fever, were jogging around and PSG fecked it up monstrously. Needless to say one of the weridest games of the decade.
It can be both heroic and lucky. Which it was. We won 3-1 ffs, we had youth and reserves all over the pitch. They gave their all, held in there and then took their chances whatever fell their way. It was a smash and grab based off of a solid defensive performance in the first place. The whole argument about deserving a result is a load of shit. Sometimes luck is on your side, sometimes it isn't, but you get what you deserve in the end. PSG deserved to lose for their approach to the game and their performance after winning away 2-0. That's what happened.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Barcelona are nothing special. We practically gifted them the game through Young and De Gea. Sucks to say but Liverpool and City are miles superior to Barcelona imo.

But I guess you're right in that the silver lining is we won't get bummed by Liverpool in Europe again.
So by your logic City v Liverpool was the final even before the QF kicked off. Why get annoyed when the better team goes through to play Liverpool?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
All in on the top 4 basket now. 5 league games to decide whether we see Champions League football or not next season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Started very well for 7 minutes or so.

Penalty that clearly was correctly not given but made us nervous.

Young as usual can't clear the first man and gifts the first goal.
DDG gifts the second goal and any confidence just ebbed out the side.
Pressing stopped.

Jones MoM for effort , Fred plenty of effort.
McTominay poor, Rashford disappeared after first few minutes, Pogba poor when frustrated.

Lingard just aimlessly running round in circles, what is the point, nothing to aim for, doesn't do anything , makes token run towards a defender but doesn't press - no attack. Go away.
Can't play with 10 men every match.

Outclassed.
Subs looking to the league as unlikely we would score 5 to say the least. Poor.
I don't understand on night's like tonight why people single players out. It seems to come down to preference.

How did Martial do? Didn't get a kick hardly.
Pogba? Some nice hold up, but didn't influence anything for a supposed top player.

McTom? We don't expect anything, so did ok

etc etc

I saw someone on FB complaining Rashford isn't clinical enough.

Blimey, he had 1 chance, 35secs in and was unlucky to hit the bar. Not like he missed loads. We barely had the ball to miss loads!

SapperBRed75

Miles off. Not only do we not have the quality, we don't have the temperament to play against teams of this standard. Ashley Young has perfected the art of slow suicide by Cruyff turn in the left back position. We know where we are - so lets see what the club is prepared/able to do about it. Everton next...

space

DDG - Can leave, his distribution is honestly horrific now, he has lost his command of the box
Dalot - Stay
Lindelof - Stay but as a backup
Smalling + Jones - Feck off
Young - Not even championship level
Pogba - Can only play well when the team is so he can go if we get good money
Alexis - Mistake
McTominay - Can stay
Fred - takes too long on the ball, poor first touch, squad player at best
Lukaku - not a top 6 side striker
Rashford - needs to be dropped for a while
Martial - No service to be honest
Lingard - Average, can feck off
The rest: Shaw, the kids, Romero... everyone else can go

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Just reminded me of the 2011 final against them.
A strong first 5-10mins, where we could have easily scored the first goal, and then reality kicking in and being played off the pitch. Even more so today than back then.

All in all, not really disappointed at all. We know we need a lot of work, so to beat arguably the best team in Europe was going to be a huge battle.
Just a shame that their two goals could have been avoided with a decent clearance and a once a season level massive error. And so close together too.
I can't disagree, except to say it's always disappointing when a Champions League tie deflates like that, and it becomes painful and embarrassing to watch. As you say on paper it was always a possibility and the self-infliction was a kick in the teeth too.

MrSingh2002

Both Shaw and Lindelof did alright. While Ole did make some weird decisions, it’s not like he’s got much to pick from.

De Gea
Jones Smalling Lindelof
Dalot McTominay Fred Young
Pogba
Rashford Martial
He could've picked this lineup and there wouldn't have been many supporters arguing with that. Could possibly play Lingard at LWB instead of Young who has been ultrashit over the past month. Or Lukaku over Martial.

I'm my opinion he didn't get the lineup correct in either leg and at this level that won't be good enough.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Probably because he was as bad as anyone out there and has a reputation of 'the world's best midfielder' despite being made look shite by Scott McTominay and Fred in our two biggest games so far, that's why.
Our captain was dog shit while our world class keeper committed a howler. This squad is so shit that only work mules might look good in it. I bet even Maradona would struggle with this tripe let alone pogba

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Barcelona are nothing special. We practically gifted them the game through Young and De Gea. Sucks to say but Liverpool and City are miles superior to Barcelona imo.

But I guess you're right in that the silver lining is we won't get bummed by Liverpool in Europe again.
They are a top team. Their goals may have come through our errors, but make no mistake, they absolute annihilated us play wise, after the first 5mins.

They can definitely beat Liverpool, as long as they don't give up a 2 or 3 lead at Anfield.

ArjenIsM3

Jesus Christ he wasn't the worst player on the pitch by a mile. Why singling him out?
Perhaps because we expect more from him than "not the worst player on the pitch". He was our worst midfielder. Young and Lingard performed even worse but Pogba was still woeful.

joedirt87

Would be nice to play Barcelona without Messi, he's terrorized us for 10 years now. Maybe he'll be retired by the next tie with Barca.

Rampant-red

1. Watching tonight’s game and some of our recent performances I can see the making of a good team but, are there are some BIG buts. Firstly our summer success is all dependant on Ed Woodward and the board. If they truly want united back on top then they have to back OGS 100% and go all in, no half measures. If OGS has £200 million to spend then let him spend it and also spend whatever money we recoup from sales. Secondly sort out the futures of de gea,matic, Pogba, lukaku, Sanchez and rashford.

De gea - either sign a new deal or go, it’s that simple. If we sell him we should get £60 million

Pogba - do you want to stay or do you want to go? If you want to go then just leave with minimal fuss. Sell for £130 million.

Lukaku - don’t think he’s good enough so sell for £60 million

Rashford - sign now or again go. Think he will come good so tie him down to a new contract.

Matic - sell for £15 million. Too old and just not good enough

Sanchez - would have to go on the cheap to subsidise for his wages at whatever club in mad enough to take him. Sell for £10 million.

Also let Valencia, herrera and Rojo go as it will free up the best part of 250k per week in wages.

So with that if the board are serious about backing the manager then give him the £200 million + the £260 million from the above sales. That’s then £460 million for OGS to spend on re shaping the team in his image.

I would then hope with the amount of scouts we have around the world we would then have some idea on who to buy because if we got this wrong then I’m afraid we would fall into an abyss that we would not come out of for a long time.

Ask every fan who we should go for and I think every fan would give different opinions.

If it was me I’d buy the following:

RB - valery/wan bissaka

CB - Maguire & alderweireld

CM - Rice/Kante & Fernandes

RW - sancho/hudson-odoi

If we need to sign other position for the players mentioned above who might be sold I’d like to see the following:

Sanchez replacement - Depay
    Lukaku replacement - Dybala
    De Gea replacement - this would be a tough choice. Either dean Henderson as I think he’s done very well in the championship or I’d Madrid want De Gea then we could do a lot worse than courtois.

We could then have a potential line up of

(GK)Henderson/Courtois

(RB) Valery/wan bissaka. (CB)Maguire. (CB) Alderweireld. (LB)Shaw

(DM) Rice/Kante (DM)Mc tomminay

(AM) Fernandes

(RW) Sancho/Odoi. (LW)Martial

(ST) Rashford

Like I said it’s a big summer, no it’s a huge summer for our club. The board MUST decide to back the manager with everything they have and more if we are to return to the top. If they don’t want to back the manager then if we are honest what is the point in MUFC as this would be a clear indication that on field results are a distant second to our commercial activity off the pitch.

I 100% agree. But commercial activity will plummet without success. We need very very very rich owners.

Tapori

Pretty much my thoughts, especially the ‘tache. Pogba has brought nothing for months. What does he offer? Shirked it massively tonight. Fred and McT looked like the only ones who can play a bit and can see the game in front of them.
Aye.
David Gill can take a long walk off a short pier. It was his 180 that helped set this shit in motion. And don't forget Edwards. There's plenty of blame to go around.
Yeah true to an extent, but Gill can't be held responsible for predicting how crap a crony Woodward appointment would be.

Any other CEO would by now have realised his own limitations but Woodward ploughs on.

Edwards - Aye. All of us missed a trick by not purchasing shares and creating a fan fund. All we can hope is that performances like this shake the club's investor base into demanding better because it affects share price and brand image.
Which is all we are unfortunately; and a poor one at that.

Heinzesight

Today has proven that we are so far away from being ready to compete for Europe or even the premiership title currently. When we don’t qualify for the champions league by the end of this season we will very much struggle to sign players capable of helping us to mount a challenge.
I think we will sign players supposedly capable. The problem is we will have to pay even higher wages to tempt them due to no CL football and then the cycle repeats itself with our wage issue.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
That'll be the last of it for a while. EL next season, if we're lucky.
You just have to look at Tampa Bay and see how they fare. Decades of being one of the worst teams in NFL.
That's Glazers.
And I don't really want to go all political but they also raise money for fecking Donald Trump's campaign.
Really incredible owners.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I can't disagree, except to say it's always disappointing when a Champions League tie deflates like that, and it becomes painful and embarrassing to watch. As you say on paper it was always a possibility and the self-infliction was a kick in the teeth too.
2011 was more disappointing, as we had a top team back there, and a peak Ronaldo. Nerves were huge, both being a final, and being a real 50-50 game.
Unfortunately they had their best ever team.

Tonight, we knew we were massively up against it, and I personally had zero nerves.
There was always a slight chance while it remained 0-0, or still at 1-0 to them, as we still needed our 2 to win.

But that goal did deflate us, and we wore off, and just barely got the ball.

We need to come back strong in our own league first. Recover in the Europa for a year.

TommiHelm

If Ashley Young is still our captain (or even a starter) next season, I'm not sure I can motivate myself to watch any more of this. Probably knee-jerk reaction though, I'm always gonna watch our games.

But meh, I feel like we're just going in a circle now. Starting to feel a bit like my local team in Norway, Rosenborg, who beat Ajax just 1,5 seasons ago in the playoffs to the Europa League group stages, and since then have sacked the manager (who was frankly doing great - won the double), and are currently 2nd from bottom in the Norwegian league. Feel like both teams have been run like shit since their great managers quit (Nils Arne Eggen for Rosenborg, with 14 league titles, 6 cup titles, and 7 straight years in the CL group stages or better).

I was really hoping for a proper "back to the roots" effect with Solskjaer (like Rosenborg had with Ingebrigtsen, the guy who got sacked last season while on route to another double), and I guess we'll see this summer, but I'm not feeling very confident based on the team selections lately tbh. Don't trust the board to give the backing needed, and even if they try to, I don't trust them to get the business done. Fearing another summer with 2-3 average signings, and starting next season with the same back four and Lingard.

Reactions: Penna

OrangeRed

How much does it really matter to get CL next year or not in terms of attracting players? We are so far off even competing for the league and CL everyone can see this.

chiz2kul

Did any one really expect any different? Its Barca at the Camp Nou!
Literally the best in the world vs a mediocre team. The result was never in doubt.
Lingard and Young absolutely dreadful. How those folks start is completely beyond me.

Don't think OGB knew how much work he has to do.

Irwin99

I'll get laughed at but if it were not for De Gea's mistake things might have been different

I really don't get the commentators fawning over Barcelona, they really weren't that good
It's a fair point, the players heads just dropped after the De gea mistake and no one took leadership at all. Jones and Smalling did reasonably well, Fred and Mctom tried really hard but our forward line was just shocking. Rashford tried at least I guess. A real lack of quality and leadership against a great but not invincible Barca side.

Jesus Christ he wasn't the worst player on the pitch by a mile. Why singling him out?
He was bloody close to being the worst player! A top class, 89 million midfielder should NOT be losing the ball that often with those stupid hold ups where he runs into a blind alley. He made ONE good pass in the early few minutes and then did feck all for the rest of the game. He's been here three years now and he's in his prime but makes so many basic errors that are glossed over by penalties and assists. We absolutely needed him today and he failed again.

Martial was even worse than Pogba though.

On a positive note we now have the top 4 to concentrate on with no distractions.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I'd rather we miss out on top 4 so we have a chance go rebuild and get tif of some of these passengers. Top 4 would mean Ed/Glazers will seem it a success.

Moriarty

You just have to look at Tampa Bay and see how they fare. Decades of being one of the worst teams in NFL.
That's Glazers.
And I don't really want to go all political but they also raise money for fecking Donald Trump's campaign.
Tampa won, what, one Super Bowl and the poison dwarf was hailed as a saviour. Now they're across the road from us on shit street.

devilish

Perhaps because we expect more from him than "not the worst player on the pitch". He was our worst midfielder. Young and Lingard performed even worse but Pogba was still woeful.
He is no Maradona. He needs half decent players around him to do well. I hope you get your wish and feck off to Real. Then you will see the real Pogba while we stick with the tripe we have

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Years of accepting mediocrity have caught up with us badly. Other teams even in our own league much better. Can change quickly if we do things right. Ole has done well but has his work cut out that’s for sure. We need to have a ridiculous clear out this Summer. If even possible 11+ players.

Nearly all of the back 4 tonight were involved in the Basel horror show 8 years ago. fecking mental they are still knocking around. Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Ashley Young please just bin them.

OrangeRed

I'd rather we miss out on top 4 so we have a chance go rebuild and get tif of some of these passengers. Top 4 would mean Ed/Glazers will seem it a success.
Exactly, this "attracting players with CL" is so overrated. There would be so much more for us to attract players with. Also, my god, do not give liverpool the title by beating City if it comes to that.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
2011 was more disappointing, as we had a top team back there, and a peak Ronaldo. Nerves were huge, both being a final, and being a real 50-50 game.
Unfortunately they had their best ever team.

Tonight, we knew we were massively up against it, and I personally had zero nerves.
There was always a slight chance while it remained 0-0, or still at 1-0 to them, as we still needed our 2 to win.

But that goal did deflate us, and we wore off, and just barely got the ball.

We need to come back strong in our own league first. Recover in the Europa for a year.
Yeah I understand your point for sure. I just hate those moribund games when an entire half of football is just a pointless struggle, particularly when we've gifted the opposition the keys. I agree a blowout of a summer, then the PL and EL are the priorities next time.

ArjenIsM3

He is no Maradona. He needs half decent players around him to do well. I hope you get your wish and feck off to Real. Then you will see the real Pogba while we stick with the tripe we have
I never said I want him gone and I don't. That doesn't mean I won't call him out when he's playing like a sack of shite like he did today.

Moriarty

That's Glazers.
And other somewhat unsavoury regimes too.

devilish

It's a fair point, the players heads just dropped after the De gea mistake and no one took leadership at all. Jones and Smalling did reasonably well, Fred and Mctom tried really hard but our forward line was just shocking. Rashford tried at least I guess. A real lack of quality and leadership against a great but not invincible Barca side.

He was bloody close to being the worst player! A top class, 89 million midfielder should NOT be losing the ball that often with those stupid hold ups where he runs into a blind alley. He made ONE good pass in the early few minutes and then did feck all for the rest of the game. He's been here three years now and he's in his prime but makes so many basic errors that are glossed over by penalties and assists. We absolutely needed him today and he failed again.

Martial was even worse than Pogba though.

On a positive note we now have the top 4 to concentrate on with no distractions.
No. Young, Martial, Lingard, Danny Welbeck MK2 were worse. Pogba is pogba. He will do well if he has half decent talent around him. Hopefully he moves to Real and we can keep playing with the donkeys we have. That's what some fans deserve

buckooo1978

look on the bright side.... we wont have to listen to self-serving speeches about Heritage

Jibbs

Now watch Liverpool thrash this Barca side in semis, this Barca side is not all that, our players took them to their heads because of inexperience. Had we maintained our intensity even after going down it could have been much different. Our inexperience showed big time.

Run_time_error

I'll get laughed at but if it were not for De Gea's mistake things might have been different

I really don't get the commentators fawning over Barcelona, they really weren't that good
Agree to some extent. Had Rashford scored instead of hitting the bar it could have been a different game. But that's football. Poor play leads to Messi scoring, DDG making an unbelievable mistake and suddenly we're really up against it. Terrific third goal meant it was all over. Some decent individual performances, McTom, Smalling (could have been a bit closer for their third), I thought Pogba wasn't bad and Rashford made some good runs. The simple problem is, as a group we're just not at that standard. Worried about top four too. I can't see Spurs and Arsenal dropping enough points to let us in because we will drop points. Nohoper League for us next season

Player Ratings

3.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 355.64285714286 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Barcelona win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Barcelona 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Barcelona 3:0 Man Utd