EL D Europa League Play-off 1st Leg

Barcelona 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 16 February 2023

wolvored

Good performance overall. If we had been more clinical we could have won this easily. We need to put them away at home and with Sabitzer and Martinez back we should be able to.

Jev

Very entertaining and hugely encouraging. For us to go to the Spanish top side and be the best and most threatening team is a huge sign of progress.

Wing Attack Plan R

Very good game of football, some great goals. Nice to see us in Spain punching for the win. Questions maybe about ETH's late sub (and only 1 sub at that), and why he persisted with Wout central when it wasn't working.

Second leg hopefully it's Sabitzer with Bruno and Casemiro, and Fred to the bench. That alone should make a big difference.

IhabX7

Excellent entertainment. Should have finished the tie, let alone with the match.

Todd

Fair result in the end. It probably should have been something like 4-4 with how poorly both teams defended. In light of how this looked today, I expect us to win next week.

Here's what's really shocking to me after this match: Barca have only lost once from 21 matches in La Liga, and have only conceded 7 goals. How?? We made their back line look schoolboy today, and that's even with our dreadfully bad finishing. So were they exceptionally poor today, or is the quality of La Liga just that much lower than the Premier League at this point?

Watching this match made me think that we'd truck La Liga if we were in Spain.

laughtersassassin

Ref robbed us by not awarding that red card.

That said we also bottled it a bit.

At the same time we did well as we deserved to win

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Like most others, would've taken a draw before the match but it's disappointing now. So many good chances wasted.

Barca aren't all that.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That was fun! A real ding dong of a game, makes me confident for the return leg at home.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Didn't expect that performance from us. just thought before the game that we would be well beaten, but lovely surprise for me.

Really enjoyed that!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
When you feel a little frustrated that we didn't come away with a win at the Camp Nou... you know we're on the right path.

That sloppy 2nd goal really cost us which was annoying, but we did really well through the 90.

On a better day we could score 4 here no problem. I'd have taken a draw at the start so can't be disappointed.

Red_Aaron

What a game - the perfect advert for football
Credit to both teams that was exhilarating

Is Luke Shaw now England's best CB btw - extraordinary season for him so far

I love ten hag!

MonkeysMagic

Excellent game, but we should be up in this tie with the chances created. That coupled with the 2 poor goals that we conceded, makes me a bit frustrated.

The difference Casemiro makes is immense but if we had a decent striker these are competitions we would be winning at a canter.

YikesSchmeics

Imagine where we would be if the leeches didn't take their greed money and bought even a half decent forward. And in spite of that, look at what ETH just produced with bloody Weghorst, AWB and Fred out there doing their best to mess it up. Buzzing tbh, That feels like the kind of game you can point to that will instil belief right across the squad that we are good enough.

Glorio

Very good game of football, some great goals. Nice to see us in Spain punching for the win. Questions maybe about ETH's late sub (and only 1 sub at that), and why he persisted with Wout central when it wasn't working.

Second leg hopefully it's Sabitzer with Bruno and Casemiro, and Fred to the bench. That alone should make a big difference.
Fred was brilliant in the second half

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
We’re heavy favourites to go through after that. Even half of our performance tonight should see us through, especially without Gavi and Pedri facing us.
Barca are painfully one paced
Xavi will complain to the press in a few minutes, and then complain before the second leg. Suddenly the ref will give them every 50/50 decision and we'll crash out to an Araujo winner.

Wheato

We should have been 4 or 5 goals up. Really took it to them.

In the end we were happy the draw away from home. Classic Fergie result in Europe. Don't lose away and win your home games.

Set up perfectly for a cracker at OT. Might have certain players back from injury.

Darkhorsez

I would have taken a draw at the start and really happy with our team’s effort. Onwards and upwards!

city-puma

Just think about it, we had to play WW as midfielder the whole game!!! We did well.

Dosse

Hoped for the best for a draw, and we got it! I believe we can twist them more at home with players back and a roaming OT!

Irwin99

Good result that. Just beat them at OT, i don't want extra time with the cup final on Sunday.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Such a fun game. Shame to concede the second in that way but those sorts of goals happen.

FujiVice

If you love Manchester United and football, you will come away from that match with a massive grin on your face. Manchester United are back.

SirAnderson

Still disappointed Fred left Alonso with that goal, and the second one came from an error from our playing out from the back.
Silly moments killed our chance for a famous victory at Camp Nou that we still waiting for.

Dan_F

Ref bottled it, should’ve sent of Kounde and we would have won comfortably. Regardless, Ten Hag is a miracle worker, what a performance, and absolutely unthinkable just 8-9 months ago. Proud of the team, think we’ll do them next week at Old Trafford.
Agree. Imagine that after one of those games under Rangnick last year. There’s so much room to grow as well. Imagine that team with a Lewandowski upfront and a more dominant keeper. Ten Hag is doing a fantastic job

RedIan

Man United matching Barca at the Nou Camp, we have come a long way in a short time. ETHis the saviour.
superb game, we shaded it and were unlucky not to come away with victory. Its only half time though.
Proud of that performance.

I’m loving my life

Got that 99 feeling again!

Exhilarating draws at the Nou Camp, where we could have won.

An excellent manager

A squad on the up.

And the promise of a unique treble of League, EL, Qatar

Lee565

We will likely have Antony back for the next game, plus sabitzer and martinez will be available

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Looked like the better squad today; really fun game to watch. We're in great shape coming back home and with Martinez coming back into the lineup.

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 72% of 300 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 277 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Barcelona win
  • Draw