EL D Europa League Play-off 1st Leg

Barcelona 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 16 February 2023

Robertd0803

Some nervy moments at the end there - when Case smashed it off our own post I was less than thrilled.

To go and put 2 past them when they conceded 7 all season is huge especially with a lot of our lads out.

the fact they don’t have Pedri or Gavi next week at Old Trafford and we’ll have Licha and Sabitzer back makes me confident we are going through to the next round.
Why will Pedri not be playing?

Gator Nate

UEFA might have just had the best match of all European football this season right there. That was fun. I really feel we should have won, but coming back home for all the cookies with Martinez and Sabitzer back in the lineup makes me feel pretty good for the outcome.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
Pure chaos at times but fair play to United, ten Hag has done an admirable job and Rashford is a menace, a player to fear.

From a Barca perspective, furious at Xavi. He tinkered with and fecked up a solid defence to start Alonso over Christensen which might be one of the most brainless pieces of management I've ever seen. Alba over Balde was also pure cowardice.

The amount of space Alba had to run in to and the fact he did nothing with the ball was criminal. Subbing Raphinha, our biggest threat when we were going for a winner just about topped off a horror show in management.

Xavi continues to be exposed in Europe again and again. All that talk about Araujo vs Rashford and the idiot puts Alonslow on him. ten Hag pulled his pants down.

Pedri is out for 3-4 weeks, Dembele and Busquets also and Gavi misses the return leg. I think that's us all but out. We got very lucky today as you could of put 5 past us.

Only positive today was Raphinha who showed some fight, understand his frustration at that ludicrous sub.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Best live game I've been to in a long long time. Especially the second half when the atmosphere was electric. Really took it to them and should be slightly disappointed not coming away with a win.

Anyone still doubting ETH should be taken out behind the barn and given a bullet to the head.

BuzzKillington

First time we’ve played Barca since 2009 and felt like we weren’t some plucky underdog scraping whatever we could out of the game. Long live King Erik.

Andre Kagawa

The Barca fans thinking this would be a walk in the park got a rude awakening.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Weghorst is beginning to hurt my eyes. I hope he realises that he's got absolutely no chance of playing himself into a permanent deal. 2-1 would have been the perfect result to take back to OT but Barca will be full of doubt now. We'll get the job done next week, especially with a stronger lineup.

AndyMUFC

Great game, and despite the two sloppy goals that was a great performance. So refreshing after years of barely being able to get out of our own half in these games.

RuudTom83

Perfect result really...squad wont get carried away like they would with a victory, but wont get downhearted due to a loss.

Just bossed it for large parts in the Spotify Stadium.

Well done!

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
It was very exciting and enjoyable, felt like a CL playoff match. A shame both teams couldn't play with their best players.
I expect us to lose the 2nd leg without our whole midfield: Pedri, Gavi and Busquets. Roberto and Kessie are way worse and I don't even want to know who will be on the bench. Some barca b players from third devision probably.

Farfetched

Well that was great fun to watch; I thank Eric for making United entertaining to watch again. I certainly hope that it does not encourage the parasites to hang around any longer.

Kevzter

The Barca fans thinking this would be a walk in the park got a rude awakening.
Yup. Even heard if we didn't park the bus we would get hammered. Because apparently they can't play well against a low block. Second leg will be interesting to say the least...

IhabX7

How these cnuts conceded only 7 in the league is beyond me. If they come like that to Old Trafford they’ll get spanked.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
What a game. Brilliant from the lads.

Pundits saying Barcelona wasn't expecting that but I'm sure they was considering Xavi's comments before and after the match,

He comes across quite well in interviews ect actually praised us instead of blaming referee decisions and all that like the others usually do

Pronewbie

Peep
Great game, and despite the two sloppy goals that was a great performance. So refreshing after years of barely being able to get out of our own half in these games.
Agreed. We've been generally fun to watch this season. Past few seasons I'd doze off or leave the match in the background.

always_hoping

Ten Hag: 'It was a clear foul on Marcus Rashford (by Kounde), we can discuss if it's inside the box or outside the box, but it's a red card... It was not good, it was a really bad decision

Strelok

Ten Hag: 'It was a clear foul on Marcus Rashford (by Kounde), we can discuss if it's inside the box or outside the box, but it's a red card... It was not good, it was a really bad decision
Totally agree. I was wondering they have no VAR in the EL? We should have won very comfortably and be able to rest some of our 1st XI in the home match. Feck the ref and those cheating uefalona. I'm still so pissed :mad:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
How have this lot only conceded 7 goals in La Liga? Is La Liga that bad this season?
As I've said in other threads, all the offensive talent is almost gone from La Liga and overall, attackers are pretty slow compared to other leagues, so while Barcelona plays very confortably in their league, it's far more complicated when they face fast talented players. I was curious to see if they could handle Rashford at this point of his season and the answer is, not really.

It was a great game but offensively, United could have done far better and yet still scored 2 to "the best defense in Europe".

CM

I was very impressed with the way we played. I was expecting the Barcelona midfield to control the game and for us to have to ride out passages of the game but it never really happened. Unlucky not to come away with the win

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Cracking game! Enjoyed that a lot!

I also love that the old gang really stepped up. De Gea, AWB, Fred and Rashford all had a very good game. Malacia too!

Red4Life_#7

Only saw the last 20mins... I thought it started at 19:45 grrrr.
Looked like a cracking game.

We need more quality up front. Weghorst clearly isn't good enough for Man Utd. Rashy is maturing so much!!

BorisManUtd

Yeah, always looked like a foul and was a foul, Rashford had no interest to dive so it was weird decision by the referee not to give it.

Pedri and Gavi both out for next match.
Hopefully that makes difference into our favour. Who will Barca go with with them out: de Jong, Sergi Roberto and Kessie?

mctrials23

Cracking game! Enjoyed that a lot!

I also love that the old gang really stepped up. De Gea, AWB, Fred and Rashford all had a very good game. Malacia too!
AwB was awful for large parts of the game. I wanted to reach into the TV and slap him after the 5th time he ambled out to the wing to pick up his man. Hes a massive liability against good teams and how Barca didn't exploit him more is anyone guess. Completely braindead footballer so often.

Kaos

So that's Gavi and possibly Pedri out too then for the return leg? So who do they have left in Midfield? De Jong, Kessie and a 56 year old Biscuits? We'll have Sabitzer and Martinez back too. Don't mean to jinx it but we have to be strong favourites now.

Handré1990

I missed the game because of work, can someone kindly give me a short comment on how we did? Did we do well or just lucky?

Edit: still at wrk obviously or I’d just check highlights.

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 72% of 300 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 277 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Barcelona win
  • Draw