EL W Europa League Play-off 2nd Leg

Manchester United 2:1 Barcelona

Post-match discussion

Thu, 23 February 2023

Gasolin

Yes, Moyes was Bale away from retaining the league, LVG was a year away from building the foundations for a club to win the league, Mourinho was Maguire away from winning the league and Rangnick was 10 players away from making us challenging again.

All the managers, including Ole were shit. No ifs, no buts. Stop giving massive benefit of the doubt and extrapolating some good results into some fantasy scenario. None of them were good enough and deserve every bit of criticism they get for their share of the failure. Player recruitment you can blame entirely on the board but the development of the team and ability to play sustainable, progressive and effective football falls all on them. All of them got massive payouts and failed spectacularly even taking into account the club de-synergy and are being shown up massively by what an actual good modern coach is doing right now.

I don't mean to attack you but this nauseating 'what if' is such a disservice to someone like ETH, like the only difference between him and Ole is Casemiro.
The same players for the majority, and the idea of playing quickly in transition with emphasis on counter pressing to retrieve the ball quickly and take opponents out of shape defensively is something Ole implemented so yes, ETH built on that and not what Rangnick destroyed. It’s nauseating to try to wipe out all the progress that happened over 2.5 seasons and only focus on the last one with the introduction of CR7. If we went for a stronger 6, it solves a lot of our defensive problem by not exposing the defense pair and keeps improving that attack that scored more than 100 goals for the first time since 2013. But yes, it’s better to ignore all of that. That’s not critical thinking mate. That’s just blind rationalization. Wrong rationalization.

I don’t mean to attack you too personally of course.

criticalanalysis

The same players for the majority, and the idea of playing quickly in transition with emphasis on counter pressing to retrieve the ball quickly and take opponents out of shape defensively is something Ole implemented so yes, ETH built on that and not what Rangnick destroyed. It’s nauseating to try to wipe out all the progress that happened over 2.5 seasons and only focus on the last one with the introduction of CR7. If we went for a stronger 6, it solves a lot of our defensive problem by not exposing the defense pair and keeps improving that attack that scored more than 100 goals for the first time since 2013. But yes, it’s better to ignore all of that. That’s not critical thinking mate. That’s just blind rationalization. Wrong rationalization.

I don’t mean to attack you too personally of course.
Progress?

Ok, no worries, you're right mate. I concede.

Glorio

Here is a better one. Some duplicates, but worth it.
:lol:
A few noteworthy things:
Really random that one Barca fan has a picture of a suited and booted Sol Campbell on his wall!

The guy watching with his missus (wearing a red top), she appears to turn around and have a good giggle at 2-1 before she swivels back, straight faced :lol:

The Real Madrid fan girl who wore a United shirt on top of her Madrid shirt, only for her to reveal it to wind up her Barca-supporting mate. I'm guessing she's singing "we don't talk about Bruno" in Spanish?

The Spanish are fascinated with prostitutes, aren't they? Especially maternal ones!

Verminator

:lol:
A few noteworthy things:
Really random that one Barca fan has a picture of a suited and booted Sol Campbell on his wall!

The guy watching with his missus (wearing a red top), she appears to turn around and have a good giggle at 2-1 before she swivels back, straight faced :lol:

The Real Madrid fan girl who wore a United shirt on top of her Madrid shirt, only for her to reveal it to wind up her Barca-supporting mate. I'm guessing she's singing "we don't talk about Bruno" in Spanish?

The Spanish are fascinated with prostitutes, aren't they? Especially maternal ones!
I clocked Sol Campbell. Wtf?

Suedesi

Please stop with not watching games and not understanding what you see. This idea that he was never good because you want to suit some narrative is how you end up with people not even knowing AWB qualities on the ball and improvement in offensive positioning began before during Ole’s spell.
Never a good idea to start drinking before noon

Gasolin

Never a good idea to start drinking before noon
The guy made us score 97 goals and 102 goals per season, and he had put some sequences to get those goals, with players playing one touch and moving quickly. But of course, you drank so you did not remember. I'm sure even if we jog your memory, it will be too fuzzy due to the liquor consumption. Never a good idea, indeed.

Suedesi

The guy made us score 97 goals and 102 goals per season, and he had put some sequences to get those goals, with players playing one touch and moving quickly. But of course, you drank so you did not remember. I'm sure even if we jog your memory, it will be too fuzzy due to the liquor consumption. Never a good idea, indeed.
Yeah sure, how can I forget the patterns of play, cohesive plan, and beautiful blueprint displayed in the capitulation to Spurs 1-6, City 0-2, Liverpool 0-5, Leicester 4-2, relegation bound Watford 4-1?

Ole was a good interim, but as a permanent manager he was over his skis. He couldn't handle the pressure of an actual title race, wasted a ton of dough on players he didn't know how to use, and generally looked clueless against any manager worth their salt. His legacy was the disastrous 2021-2 campaign where every game was a torture.

But whatever - I'm not interested in discussing Ole, I'm pretty happy with the current manager.

Gasolin

Yeah sure, how can I forget the patterns of play, cohesive plan, and beautiful blueprint displayed in the capitulation to Spurs 1-6, City 0-2, Liverpool 0-5, Leicester 4-2, relegation bound Watford 4-1?

Ole was a good interim, but as a permanent manager he was over his skis. He couldn't handle the pressure of an actual title race, wasted a ton of dough on players he didn't know how to use, and generally looked clueless against any manager worth their salt. His legacy was the disastrous 2021-2 campaign where every game was a torture.

But whatever - I'm not interested in discussing Ole, I'm pretty happy with the current manager.
Again, that blindness. Everyone has losses. We lost 6-1 against City with SAF, we lost 6-3 this season, and with Ole we beat them plenty too. To not remember that and use those defeats as even an argument shows the craziness of that conversation. At the end of the day, we were going up in the league by scoring more goals and that’s what we’re building on this season thank God instead of rebuilding from zero. Again, ETH first presser acknowledging that.

Todd

Barca lost today...I think we've knocked them for a loop mentally.

Wouldn't mind seeing them spiral and lose the league to Madrid now.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We've beaten them so badly, they couldn't recover for today.

Man of the Match

Fred image Fred 50% of 410 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 373 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Barcelona win
  • Draw