PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 3:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 August 2018

RORY65

Hell yeah. 25/1. Even each way, that's a good bet. Only two games gone, we WILL get better
That suggests we have about a 4% chance of winning the league (slightly less than 4%). I think that's very optimistic about our chances.

redmanx

Agree wholeheartedly....unfortunately though, the modern day footballer no longer cares about the fans and as they know they have more power than the manager they can just keep serving up shite performances until eventually he gets the boot. It's wrong but it's just the way it is these days, sadly.
Sadly youre correct and loyalty, respect, honour and dignity are all very low on the things these overpaid prima donnas care about. OK, times change and football has certainly changed, but for the better? In the long run, I very much doubt it.

kerryman

I've found a positive after the Brighton game..... we've gone from 7/1 to 25/1, I'm avin some of that. We'll get a whole lot better than the rubbish performance we sat thru yesterday. 25/1 is huge odds for us!
Wouldn't take the bet if you offered me 100/1 on us winning the league this season. With the football we are playing against that of City I fear the gap will be even wider this season.
Given our recent performances, the lack lustre effort of most of our players and the dire brand of football I think we'll be battling to get into the top 4.

Let's get real, this team and their complete lack of any playing style or attacking prowess isn't going to end up ahead of City over a 38 game season.

Backrow Singer

Wouldn't take the bet if you offered me 100/1 on us winning the league this season. With the football we are playing against that of City I fear the gap will be even wider this season.
Given our recent performances, the lack lustre effort of most of our players and the dire brand of football I think we'll be battling to get into the top 4.

Let's get real, this team and their complete lack of any playing style or attacking prowess isn't going to end up ahead of City over a 38 game season.
I think defensively, we have as big an issue as we do going forward to be honest. Scoring two goals at Brighton, however you get them, and still losing is really disappointing and that's obviously being kind.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
We’ve completed our transformation in to Liverpool of the 90’s/00’s.
The similarties are there but I dont think youve hit the levels of the Souness years. Its your 1997/98 . Since we last won the league in 1990 we finished second in 1991 and 1997. Third in 1996. Won the FA Cup in 1992 and League Cup in 1995. Runners up in the FA Cup in 1996 and European Cup Winners Semi Finalists in 1997 . Its pretty similar to Uniteds post Fergie infact it maybe slighty better in terms ' nearly done its ' .

sunama

Baghdad Bob
"It's only preseason lads..."
I was also complaining during pre-season when we were scoring 1 goal per game.
What got me worried, was that in our last few games of last season, we were also playing badly. This continued into pre-season, which continued into the actual season.

We should be aiming to win every single game, be it a friendly, pre-season, CL game or EPL game. The moment you begin to accept that losing is "okay" because it's pre-season, you end up on a slippery slope to becoming a loser. This is the very reason why sports results can be streaky. Eg. if a team loses 2 successive games, they could end up losing a 3rd or 4th.

The biggest gripe I have is creating so few chances. What the hell happened to Jose's legendary counter attacks? Why is it when we have the ball in the middle of the pitch, we are unable to quickly move the ball in or around their penalty area? Instead we do a back pass (like when LVG was here) and any attack is finished. The opponents will inevitably get the ball and when they do, they attack with power, pace and purpose.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

We already have our version of Wenger.
We have Jose who can get us top 4, while spending little money. IMO, this is what the Glazers were aiming for and now they got their wish.
While Jose stays and is happy with not winning the league, the Glazers will make a lot of money. Their problem will come when he leaves and new manager demands a big transfer kitty.

Nikelesh Reddy

We have Jose who can get us top 4, while spending little money. IMO, this is what the Glazers were aiming for and now they got their wish.
While Jose stays and is happy with not winning the league, the Glazers will make a lot of money. Their problem will come when he leaves and new manager demands a big transfer kitty.
Mourinhos mentality and personality will ensure that he doesn’t get into a comfort zone.He”ll either improve the team dramatically over the next 24 months and turn us into title challengers,or he”ll implode and he”ll be gone...

UncleBob

:rolleyes:

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
We have spent over £700m since Ferguson retired.

This is from last Summer: https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ter-united-transfer-targets-mourinho-14411767

Kapardin

Even the Brighton player is surprised that a top club can be so bad. Reminds me of Fulham players' reaction after our 81 crosses under Moyes.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
81 crosses? Cool, would love to see that from this side :)

Rolaholic

Even the Brighton player is surprised that a top club can be so bad. Reminds me of Fulham players' reaction after our 81 crosses under Moyes.
Jamal Lascelles, Newcastles captain, had similar statements after we played them last in February

He basically said that our centre halves looked clueless like they didn't know what to do, that we make too many mistakes in possession and are very vulnerable to a high press

It's quite embarassing being so predictable and flat and even more so having players at bottom of the table clubs taking the piss about expecting better when they play us :lol::houllier:

The vaunted 'fear factor' at United left with Fergie and it doesn't look anywhere near returning soon. Teams know exactly how to get a result against us.

How the manager has overseen now 3 seasons of this crap without looking any closer to remedying our glaring issues,I'll never know. Also don't think a shiny new CB would have improved the black hole that is our right side.

I'm getting to the point where I wouldn't care if Jose got sacked next week and Carrick or McKenna became caretaker. I'd assume that the football couldn't get any worse at least and they'd get more effort out of the supposed 2nd best team in the country surely...

BulgarianDevil91

I can't find a more appropriate thread to share my opinion in, so sorry, if this isn't the right place.

I was really gutted after the defeat. My whole Sunday went to shite, I turned the TV off immediately and went on to curse Mou and the team for the rest of the night. I assume most of us did. Today though, I was looking through some old games and I remembered the start the team had in the 2007/08 campaign: draws with Reading and Pompey and a loss to City. We all know how the season ended, but my point is crappy results happen. Saddest part was the performance by our players. I'm all aboard the WC-fatigue train, so even that I can forgive, but what happens in the upcoming 3 months would be what shapes our season.

It's hard to be positive at this point in time, but let's hope things change for the better.

Also, remember the 3 out of 3 wins in 2016/16? 6th place.

Craig Ward

So less combined than Van Diyk or what Spurs wanted for Alderwerield, or Leicester for Maguire. 30m is a lot of money yes, but by todays' standards for top CBs its the definition of budget.
We could have put any CB in world football on the pitch, until our style and mentality changes we'll be this awful.

I get your point, but whatever CB on the books for us play, the result will be the same because we invite pressure constantly.

Maguire for 70 million solves nothing unless we change as a team

superdry

touched by a genius
We need a couple of lions at the centre of our defence, not a lamb and a mountain goat!

Player Ratings

3.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 553 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Brighton 0:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Brighton 0:3 Man Utd