PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Tue, 15 February 2022

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’m a struggling with it a bit too. Whilst dominating possession is a hallmark of the very best, I’m not sure what I would read into possession in a one-off match between two decent, but not great sides.
If you’re a man up and have less possession than the opposition that’s a dismal reflection on your control of central midfield (which we all knew was pretty crap but still…)

TheReligion

Abusive
I’m a struggling with it a bit too. Whilst dominating possession is a hallmark of the very best, I’m not sure what I would read into possession in a one-off match between two decent, but not great sides.
We all know United aren’t a possession based team as we don’t have the players in midfield to do that.

There’s also no issue in giving a team with 10 men the ball and hitting them on the break.

always_hoping

1st half stats

Shots on goal
United 3
Brighton 8

Shots on target

United 1
Brighton 3

2nd half

Shots on goal
United 16
Brighton 2

Shots on target
United 6
Brighton 0

BorisManUtd

Did not watch the game but happy with 3 points. Leeds away is next one, last time at Elland Road it was a pretty boring game.

TheReligion

Abusive
If you’re a man up and have less possession than the opposition that’s a dismal reflection on your control of central midfield (which we all knew was pretty crap but still…)
We all know our weak area though right? United aren’t a possession based team either.

You can have all the possession in the world and do nothing with it. I’m not sure of the relevance if I’m honest.

NZT-One

Why is it?
Some of us cretins are seemingly not able to shrug off a 1st half like tonight as easy as for example you. I mean, great result in the end of course but Brighton bested us in our own stadium. I mean, happy you are happy, I am sure you deserve but calling others names isn't very classy.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
We all know our weak area though right? United aren’t a possession based team either.

You can have all the possession in the world and do nothing with it. I’m not sure of the relevance if I’m honest.
I ignore possession stats.
So what if the other team has more of the ball. its what you do with it.
We controlled the game even in the first half.
We simply were poor in finishing.

Whoever comes in has a hell of a lot of work with this squad.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Part of it was confidence. Old Trafford was nervy. The players were nervy.

The other part of it is that we don’t have a midfield metronome and we have Bruno Fernandes in there. Thought he really lacked composure again under pressure when we needed a calming influence. Pogba and Ronaldo were the only two who understood that we needed to slow the game down second half and allow Brighton to chase the ball and pull themselves out of shape with 10 men.

TheReligion

Abusive
Some of us cretins are seemingly not able to shrug off a 1st half like tonight as easy as for example you. I mean, great result in the end of course but Brighton bested us in our own stadium. I mean, happy you are happy, I am sure you deserve but calling others names isn't very classy.
Get out

AndyMUFC

Much needed though definitely a victory to paper over the cracks.

First half was absolutely horrendous but a great goal from Ronaldo to end his drought and a bit of luck with the red card in the second and even though we were far from convincing even then, it was enough to get us over the line.

If I never see McFred in midfield again though it won't be soon enough.

PoTMS

I didn't watch the game but delighted we got the win, even though long term, I don't think it'll mean much in the race for top 4. Brighton is a very difficult team to play against and we should take any win we get at the moment.

lex talionis

Our midfield play was horrifying and we missed some sitters, but overall the performance was slightly better than the recent porridge we've been served. You could say we deserved the victory but it could also be said that Brighton did enough to deserve a point. They played out of their skins to hold us to 1-0 until the very end but their lack of quality overcame over lack of cohesion.

Withnail

Well, we did play awful? We actually played b etter in the last few matches we just couldn't finish, was pointing out the irony. I'm not being toxic but Brighton outplayed us the entire first half i'd say, a good win in the end though so i'm happy with that
Sorry, I'm agreeing with you.

TheReligion

Abusive
Probably glad I missed the other 35.383 posts of yours. Will never stop irritating me that it seems to personally attack some people when others don't share their opinions.
Personally attack? I’ve not singled anyone out. You’re very fragile though it seems. Sorry.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I don't like to live in the past, but in our pomp, 10-man Brighton would've been thumped so hard, they'd feel the tremors all the way back in South of England.

In 2022, after they went down to 10 men, there were times when they made us look like we were down a man.
Eventually, we are going to play teams who are better and we will get humiliated.

MrBest

Game of two halfs for me. Thought first 45 was pathetic, no energy, no desire, felt like we were waiting for something to happen rather than put the work in. The second was so much better than the first. Yes we didnt press much, i just think these players are too lazy to press RR wants to. He realised this and is doing what he can with what he has been given. We created way more chances, missed a few sitters, nervy last 5 mind and hit them on the counter in the last min and my triple captain Bruno did the rest.

With this team, people need to lower there expectations. From now until the end of the season its about putting as many points on the board and getting 4th. By some miracle we are still in the mix, if arsenal, spurs and chelsea win there remaining games, we would be 2 behind spurs, 5 behind arsenal and 7 behind chelsea. Its still possible but if we get there, it wont be pretty. I am just happy we won, clean sheet and scored more than one. I would get rid of 70% of that squad tomorrow if i could hence i have no expectations or emotions anymore to this lot.

Hughes35

I thought we were awful apart from a 10 or 15 minute spell in the second half. Ronaldo bailed us out really with a goal from nowhere.

Fred, Mctom, Shaw & Rashford were absolutely dire.

The rest pretty average. Great moment from Ronnie, Pogba looked good, Bruno was as hit and miss as usual (sublime and ridiculous), De Gea with a brilliant save.

Red00012

There will be plenty of and has been plenty of negativity throughout the season so I’m going to be positive . Good win against a team who have only lost to City away this season . Our confidence is fairly low at the moment but a wins a win.
Bring on Leeds

Glad to see Sancho slowly getting better , just needs to be less selfish at times .

NZT-One

Personally attack? I’ve not singled anyone out. You’re very fragile though it seems. Sorry.
Maybe you have to re-read my post. I am not the one feeling attacked, seems to be you. Or why do you call others cretins or ask them to get out? If you are happy with what you saw, why do you engage with people who differ in their view? I am sure you don't think you could convince them on anything, right?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I don't like to live in the past, but in our pomp, 10-man Brighton would've been thumped so hard, they'd feel the tremors all the way back in South of England.

In 2022, after they went down to 10 men, there were times when they made us look like we were down a man.
Eventually, we are going to play teams who are better and we will get humiliated.
I think people are seriously underestimating Brighton. 538’s model has them as one of the 20 best teams in the world and had them ranked ahead of us until tonight. They generally create more chances than they give away and don’t lose very often.

You can scoff and say, “It’s Brighton,” but Graham Potter is doing an excellent job there getting the maximum out of his players.

If we beat them in the away game too this season, I will be delighted.

Stig

Not picking on him but at one stage Elanger was back 'helping out' we had the ball sort of in our defensive corner. He stood directly behind the attacker who was trying to tackle our player and made absolutely no effort to move 5 yards to the right to make himself easily available to receive the ball. I could have taken it for a moment in that position.
This I think is a good example of our top quality professional footballers not even doing schoolboy basics correctly.

Kag

Abysmal, yet could have scored five.

I hate this team. I thought I liked it again, but turns out I just liked Ole.

Stig

Feck me, this place is toxic. We won comfortably, so perhaps show some positivity, for once?
A am positive that I did not believe, and cannot understand how, professional top of the world professional footballers can play as poorly as we did in the first half. It is beyond comprehension.

abailey123

First half was pedestrian, tepid, one of the worst 45 minutes of football I’ve seen us produce in all honesty. Ronaldo made about 3 or 4 decent runs in one passage of play and not one midfielder had the foresight to look up and play a pass.
2nd half much better, pressed higher and as a collective. Need to learn to kill games off though. Brighton could have easily snatched a point.
Thought other than the obvious in Ronaldo, Sancho and Elanga where our best 2. Both worked their backsides off. Rashford better get used to that bench

TheReligion

Abusive
Maybe you have to re-read my post. I am not the one feeling attacked, seems to be you. Or why do you call others cretins or ask them to get out? If you are happy with what you saw, why do you engage with people who differ in their view? I am sure you don't think you could convince them on anything, right?
You’ve lost my interest now. Bye.

TheReligion

Abusive
This is the same Brighton who Chelsea have failed to beat twice this season, the same Brighton that drew 2-2 at Anfield and got a point against Arsenal

NZT-One

You’ve lost my interest now. Bye.
Look at that, real internet warlord at work, almost getting a hard one being in the presence of so much masculinity :D
So glad I got noticed. I hope, one day I will be just as alpha as that dealing with shit posts like mine.

TheReligion

Abusive
Look at that, real internet warlord at work, almost getting a hard one being in the presence of so much masculinity :D
So glad I got noticed. I hope, one day I will be just as alpha as that dealing with shit posts like mine.
Ok mate. Thanks for your time. As you are.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
What else do you expect from mcfred ?

oz insomniac

That first half was dire, outplayed at Old Trafford by friggin Brighton, lucky to be level at h/t. Bailed out by a Ronaldo strike from literally nothing , but has Ronaldo ever played with such a poor unconstructive midfield, McTom is slow, ponderous and basically can’t pass, Fred buzzes about with no ball control. Ronaldo had better service as a 17 year old in Portugal.

Woodward was at the club until Feb 1, and we wonder why there was no move to strengthen the club. Now he’s departed maybe we have a semblance of decent recruitment, with the Glazers around its not definite .

Getting bossed by Brighton for 45 minutes tells the tale of where we are, hopefully there is some light at the end of the tunnel , then again hope it’s not a trains headlights.

predator

Youth NITK
I've been to OT more this season than any other and I've noticed so many things that I would never have noticed on tv. Although I do watch the highlights afterwards, which can paint a different picture.

Until that Ronaldo goal it was just another typical night at OT. If anything it could have got worse. However, two things are so obvious when watching inside the stadium.

- When we do or don't have the ball our attacking players collectively do not sprint enough. You could imagine them saying that they aren't bothering because they know they won't be found if they did make a great run. I get that. Is fred or mctominay going to pick a killer pass to the likes of Sancho Ronaldo, or Elanga?

- My next point elaborates from the first one and explains why I didn't include Bruno in said players that should be giving killer passes. From what I've seen recently, Bruno is frequently out of position. Sometimes he is literally as far back as dalot and as high as Ronaldo and I'm not sure what to make of this because I love him and think he is by far our best player in general but I can't believe no one really picks up on this.

- Rashford is way off it. I'm not going to comment on his mental state or attitude as none of us know but his actual in game decision making and ability to do something eventful has somewhat disappeared. So, I suppose, RR is doing the right thing by nit starting him.

And then there is the fact that Maguire is becoming a 80m problem for us and Pogba and DDG are performing very well, yet get as much stick from the fans as anyone.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 206 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Man Utd 1:1 Brighton
  • 17% Man Utd 2:1 Brighton