PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Tue, 15 February 2022

goptun

We’ve had some shit results recently
That’s going to happen when nerves combine with lack of confidence
Exactly. I think people were expecting some kind of domineering masterclass. 2 nil against a really tricky Brighton side, after a slew of disappointing results is very good. We were tepid in the first half but controlled the game for much of the second.

We are seriously hampered by our midfield and lack of forward options, though. Alarming how much work is needed.

Cathy Ferguson

Brighton played nearly a full half with one man less and they still had more passes in the whole game than us. It just shows our current inability to control or hold on to the ball.
Current? This is what can be expected from the players who we played tonight. McFred will never control a midfield in the PL.

Juansar_07

We were absolutely terrible even more so than the last 3 games. Glad Brighton went down to 10 men early in the second half. Even then they came frighteningly close to settle the score.

Its appalling how we failed to keep the ball and kept on passing dreadfully throughout the second half even with numerical edge.

Also, special mention to Fred for standing out as the worst player tonight.

All being said, crucial 3 points in the bag.

siw2007

I think the first half was possibly one of the most boring first halves I’ve seen from the team. Fortunately Ronaldo somewhat took matters into his own hands and scored a belter, one stupid mistake from Dunk later and we are in control. We created quite a number of other chances, once again were wasteful but we took the one at the end.

Hopefully this will be a turning point in results for the team.

yamo123x

First half was the worst I've seen in and out of possession and we were rightfully booed off.

Fred was horrendous, Rashford in his cameo was shockingly bad.

Positives for me Maguire was better, Sancho and Dalot were good, pogba was class in his cameo and Bruno and Ronnie turned up in 2nd half.

Two quality midfielders needed in the summer

Ranchero

Watching the psg vs real Madrid game and then watching our game, the difference tactical is scary. We won't get to an elite level if things doesn't change. Not that impressive but, a good win to keep us into contention for fourth place
Quite honestly the key is that we totally lack in the engine room of midfield. Fred tonight showed why he should never be near the first team. Has anyone given the ball away so often? It was sub-Sunday League stuff at times. Unforgivable that he starts in front of Lingard.

cabbs1989

Feck me, this place is toxic. We won comfortably, so perhaps show some positivity, for once?
It’s redcafe mate , I agree with you but this place is as toxic as Twitter, they always find something to complain about, I honestly believe some are happier if we lose so they can be negative

Ludens the Red

Terrible first half, like really bad. Much much better in second half. Yeah they had ten men but was good to finally see some effort and intensity….. until rashford came on.

Ranchero

I think the first half was possibly one of the most boring first halves I’ve seen from the team. Fortunately Ronaldo somewhat took matters into his own hands and scored a belter, one stupid mistake from Dunk later and we are in control. We created quite a number of other chances, once again were wasteful but we took the one at the end.

Hopefully this will be a turning point in results for the team.
Wishful thinking based on our experience this season

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
First half was the worst I've seen in and out of possession and we were rightfully booed off.

Positives for me Maguire was better, Sancho and Dalot were good, pogba was class in his cameo and Bruno and Ronnie turned up in 2nd half.

Garner plus a transfer in.

SirMattlives

Still surprised we got that last seconds free-kick. When the Brighton player went to ground I assumed they'd get a last chance to pump it into the box but ref gave it to us. Can't keep up with the refs.

dalriada

Difficult to be pleased other than to say we didn't give away the lead this time.

Abysmal performances for most of the match from so many players with the honourable exceptions of Sanchez and De Gea, poor possession, poor passing, constantly giving the ball away, De Gea rightly fuming at players allowing Brighton to dictate play around our box in the 88th minute. Lots of cooing about Ronaldo as though an admittedly classic Ronaldo goal means it's all right after all, even though it's his first since late December. Tetchy, sulky performances with Bruno getting a yellow for needless dissent again, McTominay for niggly bad tempered fouls, Shaw for flagrant shirt-grabbing.

Fortunately for us, Brighton, decent as they've been, have Lewis Dunk, who has form, although the red was a tad harsh.
How badly we've regressed this season is baffling. Some of our players need to be locked in a room and made to watch City and Liverpool matches all day.

More a feeling of relief for a result and a clean sheet than satisfaction, but trepidation for the ECL matches. February looked like an opportunity to turn it around with some easy matches, but it's been wasted.

Someone

Something
Poor first half, but a good second one.

Ronaldo had a great game, but we're still wasting plenty of chances. Bruno works hard but he needs to find his mojo again. Mctominay was awful, honestly a couple of levels below united. Pogba was great when he came on, but Rashford was terrible, not sure what happened to him but his passing is horrible.

All in all a good win against a good team.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I've given Varane a 1 out of 10.

It felt like he wasn't even on the pitch.

Robertd0803

Get in there.

Needed that 3 points. Doesnt sound like it was the confidence boosting straight forward performance hoped for but will take the 3 points.

Danny Welbeck can go feck himself.

Oh and Viva Ronaldo. (At last).

Coops73

That wasn’t convincing by any stretch, really poor first half, great goal, Rashford sooo fecking lazy when he came on , Fred awful, De Gea saves again but ultimately 3 points in the bag is what we need and how we get it I couldn’t give a shit at this point.

Ollie Derbyshire

Shocking first half, getting totally outplayed at home, second half not much better either, sat back against 10 and nearly gave it away, good job Welbeck cant hit a barn door.

That was so bad.

croadyman

Yeah whatever happens with Pogba we need to sign two in the summer. So if he leaves it's proper DM (Rice,Tchouameni) and top CM (De Jong) however if he stayed then DM (as above) and backup CM (Tielemans/Haidara)

CM

That was such a tough watch. Playing like a team with 10 men against a team who actually have 10 men is some accomplishment.

TheReligion

Abusive
Its utterly bizarre. Takes the buzz off (finally) winning somewhat.
Our online fan base is full of cretins. We actually have oppo fans telling them they are talking shit.

United should have had a hatful tonight as the xG shows. Don’t take the chances and you’re always under pressure.

PS this is the same Brighton team that’s caused issues for City, Chelsea etc this season!

L1nk

Scored two goals and a clean sheet and were awful
Well, we did play awful? We actually played b etter in the last few matches we just couldn't finish, was pointing out the irony. I'm not being toxic but Brighton outplayed us the entire first half i'd say, a good win in the end though so i'm happy with that

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Brighton and Wolves fall into that category of team who are just super gnarly and tough to beat. They will deservedly lose very few games over the course of the season. They generally perform well on xG, so you need to take your chances. Any sort of win against them is a good win.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I think you know the answer to that question. At least I hope you do!
I’m a struggling with it a bit too. Whilst dominating possession is a hallmark of the very best, I’m not sure what I would read into possession in a one-off match between two decent, but not great sides.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Brighton and Wolves fall into that category of team who are just super gnarly and tough to beat. They will deservedly lose very few games over the course of the season. They generally perform well on xG, so you need to take your chances. Any sort of win against them is a good win.
My son tells me this was their first away defeat of the season? (I’m obviously too lazy to check!)

croadyman

Why is it an issue? have you seen the xG stats? United have a higher one than City..

Always nice to control possession but it’s not the be all that ends all.
Could we ever have a higher xG than either when we face them in that horrible March

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 206 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Man Utd 1:1 Brighton
  • 17% Man Utd 2:1 Brighton