PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:3 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 16 September 2023

UDontMessWith24

Saying these players will never change and a manager won’t sort it or blaming the glazers, 6 of that starting line up was players ten hag has brought in. Surely that’s enough to change a so called culture of laziness. We’ve looked a mess for months
Then why was the culture of laziness here before him?

siw2007

Rubbish result. We started well and should have scored a few but Brighton were absolutely ruthless in how they dispatched us. I thought it couldn’t get closer with Garnacho two weeks ago but the call to rule out Hojlund’s goal today was even tighter and pretty much summed up todays game.

Hannibal was the only bright spark and might play himself into the team with that display. Showed more spirit than the entire team put together.

Superunknown

Nothing new.

Played well in patches.
Bad decision making in final third.
Refereeing decisions not in our favour.
Lots of passes straight to opponents.
Can’t press effectively.

Nothing new at all.
This is depressingly accurate.

Our lack of clinical finishing is alarming, too. It genuinely seems like a struggle to score goals. Brighton have scored 9 more goals than us this season. That's obscene.

Cloudface

We conceded the same goal three times because our players just watch the opposition waltz by them onto the edge of the box time after time.

Are they completely stupid or just think they are above the basics of tracking opposition players?

r0663664

Worships Man City
We badly need a younger more functional midfield (and one that does something with the ball, unlike Mount). Szoboslai would've been pefect.

But we badly, badly need a RW too. All our play goes through the left with Marcus. We have almost nothing on the other side, even with Antony. The story of the last ten years really. None of our managers in that period have come close to giving us an option on that side, aside from with Greenwood who came through the academy.
Agree, it has been years on RW. It is like a mystery that no one can resolve. It is just crazy.

Sgreddevil

Our defence has zero intelligence and organisation. Brighton just kept using the same cut back pass to create scoring opportunity. Scored 2 from doing so. Nobody just has the intelligence to spot free unmarked players in those spots. I expect Martinez or Fernandez to command and direct the player to mark out those players. But credits to brighton for executing this simple drill to near perfection: pass to the winger, cut back, pass to a player running in from behind, one touch shoot at goal.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
The good news is we play Bayern next in Munich :nervous:

yeti

defence was so bad Maguire will be in with a shout next game

Himannv

De Zerbi and Ten Hag have been in charge for a similar amount of time, I think the biggest question to ask is, why has one been able to fully implement their style in that time and the other hasn't?
I think some part of it is down to the style of play. Brighton were playing in a similar way with similar philosophy before De Zerbi got there. So he had players who more or less fit into the same style of play and philosophy he wanted to implement and it was easier to build on. It also helped that there was patience when results did not go their way - last season if they blew away a team, there were also defeats that followed that go under the radar a little.

On the United side of things, some of our main players are a perfect fit for a counter-attacking setup and they are just not suited to play more buildup. As a result, our style of play is a mishmash of different ideas to better suit the players we have. In a way, these are historical mistakes we have made due to not having a set style of play and changing our style depending on who was in charge at the time. There's also a problem with recruitment at the moment that doesn't help.

Arnold Layne

Center of defence is worrying Brighton looked like they would score every time they attacked. Lindelof Maguire and Evans not good enough. Varane has too many injuries and misses too many games. That is an area that should have been a priority during the transfer window.

UDontMessWith24

Appalling. The potential to get something out the game was there but starting McTominay meant we were playing with 10 men. The match was over when Welbeck scored while McTominay was casually watching three yards behind.
McTominay is who you think is responsible for this? That’s a giant load of garbage scapegoating a role player. Look at the supposed leading players at this club and compare them to the likes of Giggs, Keane, Ronaldo, RVN, Scholes, Rooney, etc…

Abraxas

Brutal.

To be honest there wasn't that much in it for most of the game and we started with decent intensity too for a change yet they go 2-0 up with a couple of very good bits of play and finishing whereas we messed things up in the final third.

I guess that's a team fully confident versus one that look like we're low on confidence and many individuals struggling.

Smithy89

It's 3 actually. For us, top 5 is enough this season with the new format of the CL from next year. Which in itself makes a mockery of the Champions League name.
Liverpool, Spurs, and Brighton are three others that could easily finish above us and then you've got Villa or Newcastle who will be in and around them spaces.

leeroyTX

Honestly not even sure what to say at this point.

How can they allow goals from the trailing run to happen 3 f***ing times? The midfield was atrocious. Nothing Onana can do on those goals.

How does ETH pull Hojlund so early?

How are we so unbelievably terrible at set pieces?

I know there’s a massive list of injuries but there’s no excuse for the lapses.

Houdini

Hopeless performance. This is on Ten Hag. Poor team selection. Subs were too late. Drop Casemiro. Sick of this club. We need an overhaul. Start with Glazers.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Dire, one of the games you wish rashford looks up instead of head down smashing it at goal

RedDevilQuebecois

Reguilon and Mejbri the only positives today.
Add Hojlund in there. He was willing to make the Brighton defenders' life as miserable as possible.

What I really don't like about our situation is that Ten Hag waited this long until Garnacho and Pellistri came on. He better remember this: when your senior players are not delivering, your kids will be the remaining ones still willing to run through a wall for you.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Liverpool, Spurs, and Brighton are three others that could easily finish above us and then you've got Villa or Newcastle who will be in and around them spaces.
Based on our start, it's realistically looking like a top 8 all the way down to a Chelsea of last season

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Then why was the culture of laziness here before him?
That doesn’t matter or means nothing, he was brought in because previous wasn’t good enough, he’s had time and his own players but it still isn’t good enough

Wing Attack Plan R

Real bogey opponent.
Couple of injuries.
A few big issues with player behaviour.
Obviously got pre season wrong.
Didn't improve the squad at all arguably.

Sigh
See you midweek for a bit of a freebie.

Amrabat needs to be one hell of an impact signing for us.
Højlund has definitely improved the squad. Mount and Amrabat are also improvements. Reguilón might even be an improvement.

Hammondo

Rashford was one of, if not the biggest, threat though. What was the rest doing?
This just highlights our problem. We praise individuals who play for themselves and struggle with the basics. Just look at the Brighton goals, simple, not rushed, team goals. They don't have the flair or individual moments we have, but what they have is worth far more.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
ETH has got some sorting to do otherwise he’ll be gone by Xmas and we’ll be back to square one again. Toxic club. We need a complete reset.

Thom Merrilin

We have a huge lack of athletic ability in our midfield. Mctominay is the only one who is both strong and somewhat quick but of course he's not up to the required technical level.

I think that's why we played the diamond today, in an attempt to plug the midfield with bodies.

Maybe Amrabat is the answer but I doubt it.

Hammondo

We have a team of moments players who struggle with the basics against a team who focus on the basics.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Not sure where we go from here folks. I'm very very tired now. A decade of mostly awfulness. What a way to destroy the legacy of the greatest manager we've ever had.

Years of clueless decisions on and off the pitch. Going from crisis to crisis, bad signing after bad signing, leech owners who won't let go. Every manager and player who comes in gets worse over time.

Sorry to repeat it, but very tired and very fed up with my weekends being ruined over and over again.

Bayern midweek.... fecking hell

Verminator

Looks like ETH fancies a Christmas at home.

We still have no identifiable strategy or team identity.
What can you even point to as our strengths?
The players don't seem to have any ambition or pride in their performances, and the manager and club don't seem to know how to change that.

This is like watching a relative fade away with dementia or wasting disease.
It must be ripping Fergie's heart out.

Jericholyte2

How can you rebuild when we have brought in like 10 players in the last 2 summers? Rebuild the current re-build?
Pretty much.

I’d keep Onana, Martinez, Shaw, and Hojlund - anyone else I wouldn’t be especially sad to see leave.

FerociousCorgis

Nothing can possibly change when our two "stars" don't fit into the type of style everyone wants to see.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Again it could have been a decent performance, we created plenty, just wasteful and stupid in front of goal and lazy in getting back to defend. There was nothing wrong with the tactics unless he told Rashford not to pass to Hojlund or the midfielders not to bother tracking back.

On another day it would have worked out differently but it's the same old weaknesses.

Trex

One thing I'll say is its quite difficult to play front footed football when your midfield can't have prolonged spells were they just keep the ball and dictate play. I hope Amrabat and Mainoo will add a bit of composure to our midfield play because at the moment its basketball-esque.
We pressed Brighton hard at the start of the game and it put us on the front foot but as the game went on you just need to have that on ball quality. Eriksen does try but its just him. Casemiro, Bruno, and Scott just don't have that ability to do so. I thought we needed an Enzo type player this summer. But that's just one of our issues.

Ted Lasso

The good news is we play Bayern next in Munich :nervous:
We could barely handle Welbeck dropping deep. Kane, our supposed top target, is going to remind us once again why the Glazers have killed United.

Hammondo

You’re ignoring that these players were brought in and improved the squad. Mount is an upgrade on McTominay. Amrabat is an improvement on second half Casemiro/Eriksen. These are not controversial opinions.
I would argue that Mount is of a very similar level to McTominay. I don't think those 2 turn this match around, nor having Antony and Sancho.

I also have no idea if Brighton was missing anyone.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 245 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:1 Brighton
  • 10% Man Utd 3:1 Brighton