PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:3 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 16 September 2023

GameOn

Expected nothing less. Comical team. You will be forgiven if you watched this game and assumed it was a recording from the time under Rangnick. Zero progress since then. That’s rather impressive, no?

I got the exact result right, so some sweet points. There’s that, at least.
When will people learn that it simply isn't about the manager?

It has been a clown show ever since SAF retired and I blame the Glazers. Entire leadership sucks.

After SAF we had Moyes as manager and complained.

After Moyes was sacked we ridiculed him and praised van Gaal.

Nothing changed and van Gaal was sacked.

Then we ridiculed van Gaal and praised Mourinho.

It got better at first, but it was all downhill one year later and he got sacked.

Then we laughed at Mourinho and praised Solskjaer.

Nothing changed and he was sacked.

We then ridiculed Solskjaer and put all our hopes in Rangnick.

It didn't get any better and ten Haag came in.

Now everyone shat on Rangnick and worshipped ten Haag.

Guess what, it appears nothing changed either.

ifightdragons

The sooner we cash in on Rashford, the better. He is the epitome of what's wrong with our players.

Plays for himself, and has an incredibly poor tactical understanding of the game.

He is one of the top earners in the league, yet one of the worst decision makers, the laziest presser and an ego overblown to the 'nth degree.

We made him the talisman and face of our club. We get what we deserve.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Perhaps the most telling difference between the 2 teams was the ability to play from the back. When Brighton knocked it around I rarely had the feeling they were going to make a mistake and every player seemed very comfortable with the ball. You also had the feeling they would make a break through after a few switches. When we had the ball in the back and worked it around, I almost always felt a mistake was coming. In fact, when we passed it around in the back for any length of time there invariably would be a desperate touch or two.

The really sad part of all that is I bet our defense and DM cost 200 mil more than their defense and DM.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
The really sad part of all that is I bet our defense and DM cost 200 mil more than their defense and DM.
Brighton Starting XI: Steele £0, Veltman £1m, Van Hecke £2m, Dunk £0, Lamptey £3m, Dahoud £0, Gross £3m, Adringa £8m, Mitoma £3m, Lallana £0, Welbz £0 = TOTAL £20m

Your substitute centre back cost more than 3x our starting eleven…

Last edited:

always_hoping

1st half basic stats
Shots on goal United 8 Brighton 3
Shots on target United 3 Brighton 1
Passes United 242 Brighton 338

2nd half
Shots on goal United 6 Brighton 7
Shots on target United 3 Brighton 7
Passes United 245 Brighton 321

The stats just before Welbeck opening the scoring
Shots on goal United 4 Brighton 1
Shots on target United 1 Brighton 0
Passes United 79 Brighton 77

Last edited:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Brighton Starting X1: Steele £0, Veltman £1m, Van Hecke £2m, Dunk £0, Lamptey £3m, Dahoud £0, Gross £3m, Adringa £8m, Mitoma £3m, Lallana £0, Welbz £0 = TOTAL £20 MILLION

Oi, you got your win, no need to rub it in by bringing up Maguire.

Oranges038

Once again the much better team in the first half. They had 1 decent chance and scored, meanwhile the total lack of brains and composure in the final third lets Utd down again.

I missed the second, so I'll have to try and bring myself to watch it back.
I watched it, well most of it.

The defending from Dalot and McT on the second and third goals was a joke. Pair of fecking lazy clowns, don't close down, don't make any effort to win or block off the ball. Or even shepherd the winger towards the corner.

Dalot is fecking useless anyway, never liked him. No idea how he's still at the club or how he got a new contract. The guys an absolute bluffer.

McT, just played like a worse version of himself. One that can't be arsed because he knows he isn't wanted. Hannibal looks like offers so much more than him.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Brighton Starting X1: Steele £0, Veltman £1m, Van Hecke £2m, Dunk £0, Lamptey £3m, Dahoud £0, Gross £3m, Adringa £8m, Mitoma £3m, Lallana £0, Welbz £0 = TOTAL £20 MILLION

This pretty much sums up how bad we have become.
Overspending.
No real transfer strategy.
Manager number 6.
No style of play.
No motivation.
Poor morale.

This is very very poor.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
This has become monotonous now. Fatigue has set in.

Super Hans

What is there to say after this? A season we were all looking forward to so optimistically is crumbling after 5 games. An under-strength Brighton just completely outplayed us at Old Trafford. We couldn't get the ball off them. I don't think I can remember something like that ever happening since I started watching United over 3 decades ago.

Cantonagotmehere

I will always care, i mean i lost it when I thought Rasmus scored...but I just don't get upset that much with a loss anymore. I feel we are cursed until the club is sold. Until then we muddle along between 7th -3rd place maybe.

Dark facking days.

Kinky Melinky

What is there to say after this? A season we were all looking forward to so optimistically is crumbling after 5 games. An under-strength Brighton just completely outplayed us at Old Trafford. We couldn't get the ball off them. I don't think I can remember something like that ever happening since I started watching United over 3 decades ago.
Yeah it really was poor. Been following United 4 decades now, and we allowed Brighton to pass the ball around like the best of the best in Europe. It looked like they had more players on the field. Looked absolutely comfortable passing it around. Never appeared to lose their focus and play a misplaced pass. Essentially the polar opposite to United. Its all very grim right now.

Lentwood

The sooner we cash in on Rashford, the better. He is the epitome of what's wrong with our players.

Plays for himself, and has an incredibly poor tactical understanding of the game.

He is one of the top earners in the league, yet one of the worst decision makers, the laziest presser and an ego overblown to the 'nth degree.

We made him the talisman and face of our club. We get what we deserve.
I agree with this. Rashford as our poster boy sums up most of what has gone wrong with the club. Overrated. Overhyped. Lazy. Entitled. Overpaid.

If we ever want to get back to winning titles, we need to get real and throw sentiment out the window.

tomaldinho1

Brighton are a good team, we have a lot of injuries and absentees it was always going to be tough away from home. Emotional reaction is we were crap but the reality is our players make stupid/greedy decisions when we have the chance to score. We didn’t get completely dominated, I’d argue we were better 1st half and them 2nd, they just aren’t blinkered when they get near goal, they make the right passes and aren’t chasing glory themselves non stop.

Cantonagotmehere

I am really pleased that he took off Casemiro first. Unbelievably slow in both running and decision making. As soon as Amrabat is fit, play him and Mejbri. Than you probably have a midfield that at least runs its socks off ... Brighton were quite comfortable with Case having the ball as most of his passes that went beyond the first yard were crap (bar the good ball to Rashford ...).
There was no cover for our shambolic back 4. Brighton always sprinted into the box on both sides of the pitch. We lack, legs, hustle and/or athletes that can do the job right now. It's sad.

Super Hans

Brighton are a good team, we have a lot of injuries and absentees it was always going to be tough away from home. Emotional reaction is we were crap but the reality is our players make stupid/greedy decisions when we have the chance to score. We didn’t get completely dominated, I’d argue we were better 1st half and them 2nd, they just aren’t blinkered when they get near goal, they make the right passes and aren’t chasing glory themselves non stop.
We weren't even away from home though

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I know Old Trafford is a state but it's not at the level of being an away match yet.

Kinky Melinky

But we were crap, and you went on to explain why. It's just not even close to being good enough.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We actually were not bad today oddly I think it was one of our better games this season

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
huh?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Brighton Starting XI: Steele £0, Veltman £1m, Van Hecke £2m, Dunk £0, Lamptey £3m, Dahoud £0, Gross £3m, Adringa £8m, Mitoma £3m, Lallana £0, Welbz £0 = TOTAL £20m

But.. we've only spent 200m this window. We're a club with no ambition.

Pes6Monster

Need to sack the manager and replace him with SAF's brain in a vat. Who cares if he doesn't want to. The club comes first. Take him out at Sunday lunch and forcibly remove it, Get Roy Keane in to do it.

We them need to put our squad through a Battle Royale type scenario, broadcast live on MUTV, hust to sort the wheat from the shite.

No more messing about.

Baneofthegame

Crazy stuff.

Decade long lurker

Christ I’m tired. Just home. They kept the ball so easily. I remember the buzz before the wolves game. Bout 20 minutes in it was like someone sticking a knife in a tyre. Could almost hear the hiss in stadium. So easy to play against we are. Not looking forward to Wednesday

always_hoping

When will people learn that it simply isn't about the manager?

It has been a clown show ever since SAF retired and I blame the Glazers. Entire leadership sucks.

After SAF we had Moyes as manager and complained.

After Moyes was sacked we ridiculed him and praised van Gaal.

Nothing changed and van Gaal was sacked.

Then we ridiculed van Gaal and praised Mourinho.

It got better at first, but it was all downhill one year later and he got sacked.

Then we laughed at Mourinho and praised Solskjaer.

Nothing changed and he was sacked.

We then ridiculed Solskjaer and put all our hopes in Rangnick.

It didn't get any better and ten Haag came in.

Now everyone shat on Rangnick and worshipped ten Haag.

Guess what, it appears nothing changed either.
That's it but a full decade on and many Man United supporters still feel getting rid of another manager will change things. The club must first be well ran with competent owners for any manager to succeed here.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

That’s crazy

Cpt Negative

I thought we were quite good for the first 20 minutes, we looked sharp, was winning the ball easily enough and passing seemed crisp.

Then we concede a basic sloppy goal where people haven’t tracked runners and we go to shit.

Rashford decision making will stop him from being a truly top player.

Onana is just as average as he was at Ajax and Inter.

The team we finished with today was criminal for a team that’s spent as much as we have.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
For the first 12 mins yeah. After that we were average to poor and certainly poor end product.
Disagree. Up until about 60 mins I think we created the better chances in the game. Did not dominate the ball as much after 15 mins, but we were pretty comfortable and still creating the better chances

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Christ I’m tired. Just home. They kept the ball so easily. I remember the buzz before the wolves game. Bout 20 minutes in it was like someone sticking a knife in a tyre. Could almost hear the hiss in stadium. So easy to play against we are. Not looking forward to Wednesday
Is it really that bad at OT now? Match goers always seem so calm in the face of poor performances

CtrlAltDeLigt

As per the stats, United look okay when the forward line is pressing the defence on goal kicks.

As soon as the ball is progressed to the midfield and press is beaten, our midfielders are not proactive to win the ball back, they get run past so frequently.

The forward line (particularly rashford) doesn’t track back and the opposition is in against the defence. Time and time again.

Ten hag is playing with fire, and it surprises me that he’s seeing the same thing happening again and again and not changing style to get results.

Understand that midfield is crooked right now, but would make sense to find ways to win right now, instead of rigidity in philosophy

Decade long lurker

Is it really that bad at OT now? Match goers always seem so calm in the face of poor performances
Ah I suppose there was so much hope early summer. CL. Glazers we’re fecking off and.that the team would kick on from last year. I mean wolves was an awful performance. The start against Forrest. Today. We’ll see how it plays out. Will be at palace. Hoping for better

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I like Rashford a lot, but his 'fake' press needs to stop. He is beginning to look lazy up top doing that.
What do you mean by beginning?

Man's been a moody, lazy brat for years. One good year after a total catastrophe the previous one and everyone forgot he's barely a one-trick pony nowadays.

leeroyTX

It just can’t be as easy as overlooking the midfield against us…but it is. Hopefully Amrabat is good to go on Wednesday because he’s got to be better in there than what’s been happening so far.

Bondi77

Absolutely schooled by Brighton.
Nice goal by Hannibal though.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 245 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw