LC L League Cup Quarter-Final

Bristol City 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 20 December 2017

redIndianDevil

We're never winning a league title while Martial and Rashford are starting, as harsh as that sounds. Just far too inconsistent and don't deliver enough. Compare them to Sane and Sterling who are on the wings at City, they rarely have 2-3 bad games in a short spell. Our two have them on a regular basis.
LOL Sterling and Sane look good because they play in a team that doesn't expect them to run all the way back to the fullback position everytime they lose the ball, it doesn't mean that they don't have defensive responsibilities, they just press the ball higher and win it back. Example against Spurs, Sterling was absolutely shite, he missed a open goal after Jesus missed the penalty, missed plenty of chances to put in a cross but still ended up with a couple of tap-ins.

It's a shameful thing to say, but going out last night could have spared us having our arses felt home and away against Citeh. Over two legs it's very likely we'd be shown up, and losing to them twice in a couple of weeks would destroy morale. It doesn't remove the embarrassment of defeat to a Championship club, but it's some solace for me.

zenith

I think it's a blessing in disguise, we did win the cup last year and it is definitely the last priority. We get three games knocked off the schedule at a very busy time and move forward with the league and CL campaign

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Even if we had won there are still some major concerns that don't seem to even begin being worked on. That is (for me anyway) off the ball and releasing the ball faster instead of taking 2-3-4 extra pointless touches. Yes we do need better players but there is no fecking way this set of players cannot be coached better and as a result cannot perform individually better.
Good observation, it comes from a person who wanted Mou here but honestly- attacking wise we look Moyes-levels bad.

DevilRed

Wish people would have some perspective.

The only team to have won it back to back recently is actually us, in 2009 and 2010. You then have to go all the way back to 1989 and 1990 in which nottingham forest did it back to back.

Strachans Cigar

I'm not sure I have the words to sum up tonight. In my time supporting City we have been a yo yo club between the Championship and League One. We cannot compete financially with at least half of the Championship (despite our owner's wealth, FFP rules don't allow us) due to crowd sizes and parachute payments.

Under Lee Johnson we've had to find a different way, that way is buying young players and improving them. As Lee says, we might not be able to have World Class technical players but what we can be World Class in is application and effort. It's been serving us well in the Championship but whilst we beat three of the PL's lesser lights en route to facing United, I hoped we could stand a chance but I didn't really believe we could.

Now I'm gonna sound like a Scouser, this really is our year...hope to see you again next season for the league fixtures
Happy for you mate. Well, as happy as one can be after a defeat to a lower tier side...

That said, you’d already put Stoke and Palace to the sword on this run, so you are clearly no mugs & I was actually impressed with your team & your fans tonight.

Would be great for the South West to finally have a representative in the English top flight, it’s been too long, two big cities down there in Bristol & Plymouth, would have thought the potential fan base is big enough with the right backing.

Hope to see you in the PL next season :)

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
LOL Sterling and Sane look good because they play in a team that doesn't expect them to run all the way back to the fullback position everytime they lose the ball, it doesn't mean that they don't have defensive responsibilities, they just press the ball higher and win it back. Example against Spurs, Sterling was absolutely shite, he missed a open goal after Jesus missed the penalty, missed plenty of chances to put in a cross but still ended up with a couple of tap-ins.
Honestly they do just that. Pep makes everybody works hard for pressing, Sané did some great defensive work to cover Delph against Spurs for instance. Watch them put opponents under when they don't have the ball and how quickly they retrieve it as a result. Pep is the coach who used to make Messi work hard during those phases. The biggest difference with Mourinho is that we don't press therefore it makes the team play very low and makes Martial/Rashford way too close to our last third than they should.

DevilRed

We're never winning a league title while Martial and Rashford are starting, as harsh as that sounds. Just far too inconsistent and don't deliver enough. Compare them to Sane and Sterling who are on the wings at City, they rarely have 2-3 bad games in a short spell. Our two have them on a regular basis.
Thats what they said about Rooney and Ronaldo for the first few years.

People tend to forget that both are barely out of their teenage years and still have plenty of developing and improving to do.

AmanNits04

I sort of agree with this. There are times when most of our attacking players look out of form and maybe not too bothered. No off the ball movement whatsoever.

Strachans Cigar

Some criticism of Jose saying Bristol were “lucky” post match, but having read the whole lot, seems fair enough to me. Actually pretty gracious. I liked his little dig at City :)

“In the first-half we lacked the intensity that they had, and when I say intensity I say not just physical I say also mentally, for some of us it was just one more day in the office probably a day that some of them they don't even want to come to the office.

“For the Bristol boys it was a big, big day for them and in the first-half you could see that. They were a bit lucky and we were not so bad as that in the second-half.

After the goal we were the best team... they tried to win the game in the 90 minutes and they were very lucky to have the goal in the last second. For them a big night and in this club we know how to win and how to lose so we lose saying congratulations to them.

My thoughts are they were a bit lucky, but they fought a lot to be lucky. They win the game in a moment where we have no possibility to react, they win the game in our best moment, when everybody was waiting for our goal, they were a bit lucky.

"We hit the post twice before they scored but they played brilliantly, they fought like it was the game of their lives, and I think a beautiful day for football. A team from a lower division won and getting to the semi-final. I don’t want the fact that I say they were a bit lucky to be the main thing of it, the main thing is they won and they fought hard."

redIndianDevil

Honestly they do just that. Pep makes everybody works hard for pressing, Sané did some great defensive work to cover Delph against Spurs for instance. Watch them put opponents under when they don't have the ball and how quickly they retrieve it as a result. Pep is the coach who used to make Messi work hard during those phases. The biggest difference with Mourinho is that we don't press therefore it makes the team play very low and makes Martial/Rashford way too close to our last third than they should.
Exactly what I said, they both work hard, in our team's case, the defensive workload makes Martial/Rashford to track back all the way back to protect our fullback whereas City achieve that by pressing higher up the pitch and winning the ball back further higher, they then have a shorter ground to cover when they counter attack.

Our defending involves everyone apart from the striker and by the time they win the ball back, Martial and Rashford have a larger ground to cover and need to take on more number of defenders.

redIndianDevil

Wish people would have some perspective.

The only team to have won it back to back recently is actually us, in 2009 and 2010. You then have to go all the way back to 1989 and 1990 in which nottingham forest did it back to back.
No one's worried that we are not winning this, it's just the performance that grates.

Frank Grimes

Our luck ran out last night, you can't keep playing badly and winning. Very demoralising to see how ordinary we are. I really hope we make the signings required in the next 2 windows.

hungrywing

Exactly what I said, they both work hard, in our team's case, the defensive workload makes Martial/Rashford to track back all the way back to protect our fullback whereas City achieve that by pressing higher up the pitch and winning the ball back further higher, they then have a shorter ground to cover when they counter attack.

Our defending involves everyone apart from the striker and by the time they win the ball back, Martial and Rashford have a larger ground to cover and need to take on more number of defenders.
I used to think computer analysis wouldn't translate well to football as opposed to how well it worked in American baseball, but it's becoming clear that the more progressive coaches are using it to determine where to apply workrate to maximize effort per possession or possession time. Admittedly it's pretty brilliant to watch. Just not-so brilliant when it's other teams doing it and not yours.

Kind of annoyed that Poo may be starting to implement this as well.

minoo-utd

It's a shameful thing to say, but going out last night could have spared us having our arses felt home and away against Citeh. Over two legs it's very likely we'd be shown up, and losing to them twice in a couple of weeks would destroy morale. It doesn't remove the embarrassment of defeat to a Championship club, but it's some solace for me.
Wow we are scared to play city now? for me it was a real good chance to beat them and that might have caused them troubles!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I used to think computer analysis wouldn't translate well to football as opposed to how well it worked in American baseball, but it's becoming clear that the more progressive coaches are using it to determine where to apply workrate to maximize effort per possession or possession time. Admittedly it's pretty brilliant to watch. Just not-so brilliant when it's other teams doing it and not yours.

That sounds very much like something plucked out your arse, any source for such a claim?

redIndianDevil

Exactly it's quite sad that one of the biggest clubs in the world is continuously appointing dinosaurs like Moyes, LvG etc.

Darkhorsez

I'm not sure I have the words to sum up tonight. In my time supporting City we have been a yo yo club between the Championship and League One. We cannot compete financially with at least half of the Championship (despite our owner's wealth, FFP rules don't allow us) due to crowd sizes and parachute payments.

Under Lee Johnson we've had to find a different way, that way is buying young players and improving them. As Lee says, we might not be able to have World Class technical players but what we can be World Class in is application and effort. It's been serving us well in the Championship but whilst we beat three of the PL's lesser lights en route to facing United, I hoped we could stand a chance but I didn't really believe we could.

Now I'm gonna sound like a Scouser, this really is our year...hope to see you again next season for the league fixtures
Well played and well deserved. Good luck in the next round. I will be rooting for you guys to get to the final now.

JohnnyKills

I think it's a blessing in disguise, we did win the cup last year and it is definitely the last priority. We get three games knocked off the schedule at a very busy time and move forward with the league and CL campaign
Yeah I feel the same way tbh. The league Cup has always been and always should be the lowest priority, and we won it last year.

To me the only benefit of it is playing the kids, and if we're not going to do that I'd rather we were out.

JohnnyKills

Wow we are scared to play city now? for me it was a real good chance to beat them and that might have caused them troubles!
We'd have just played their fringe players mate, we wouldn't have proved anything.

We beat them in the League Cup last year and have barely laid a glove on them in the two matches since.

hungrywing

That sounds very much like something plucked out your arse, any source for such a claim?
Don't recall claiming to have had a source. Might want to hop over to a neurologist.

Or are you saying you're too unimaginitive or too unintelligent to consider that clubs will almost certainly be at the very least receiving such input from their data analysis teams. That's how a lot of the 'nerdier' suggestions start out at big organizations, with IT clamoring for years that 'we can do this' before management gives in and forks over the money to try it out.

Maybe change "it's becoming clear" to "it really does look like" if you want. It's just an opinion. Don't worry too much about it, l'ii fella. Don't want you busting an artery somewhere.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Don't recall claiming to have had a source. Might want to hop over to a neurologist.

Or are you saying you're too unimaginitive or too unintelligent to consider that clubs will almost certainly be at the very least receiving such input from their data analysis teams. That's how a lot of the 'nerdier' suggestions start out at big organizations, with IT clamoring for years that 'we can do this' before management gives in and forks over the money to try it out.

Maybe change "it's becoming clear" to "it really does look like" if you want. It's just an opinion. Don't worry too much about it, l'ii fella. Don't want you busting an artery somewhere.
Please consider my arteries under no stress or strain whatsoever. It’s just that you made an outlandish, bizarre claim and I was curious to see if it was a figment of your imagination or based on anything in real life, which could easily be proved by providing a source. Evidently it was the former. Thanks for the clarification. As you were.

podurban2

Sounds more like you were called out for spouting bs.

MJJ

Weird question. Of course I did. What I didn’t do was allow myself get whipped into a tizzy by hanging out on the match-day thread with a load of disgruntled kids.
And you think the performance was acceptable when even mourinho thinks the players didn't put any effort in? Is he one of those kids as well?

There is a time and place to be a top red, this isn't it.

Oldyella

Having slept on it, disappointing but it was last on our priorities this year. Just annoying going as far as we did before getting knocked out, that and not playing one or two more kids. Not sure what's gained by playing Darmian when he's never good enough for us when Tuanzebe could of had those minutes. Think him and Blind were awful, happily see them both moved on.

And whether it's first team or squad players, the lack of movement is killing our play. Like the zombie football of our recent years.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
And you think the performance was acceptable when even mourinho thinks the players didn't put any effort in? Is he one of those kids as well?

I could repeat my opinion on the game you quoted but don’t see the point. You’ve already read it. They were great. We weren’t. The better team on the night won. I’m not massively concerned about our performance though. Certainly worried me less than, say, Huddersfield.

hungrywing

Sounds more like you were called out for spouting bs.
Not at all.

If you get a chance, watch the film Moneyball, which is about American baseball so it may be boring if you're from elsewhere. The stuff in that film is what goes on at sports franchises the world over these days. In fact it's probably even more detailed.

Please consider my arteries under no stress or strain whatsoever. It’s just that you made an outlandish, bizarre claim and I was curious to see if it was a figment of your imagination or based on anything in real life, which could easily be proved by providing a source. Evidently it was the former. Thanks for the clarification. As you were.
Your opinion, straight from your ass.

Or are you not intelligent enough to realize you're doing the same thing? You'd be surprised what they're doing with big data in all professions these days. Look it up if you're up to the task.

Enjoy, l'il buddy.

SER19

It's okay to be content with losses to BC and draws against the likes of Bournemouth and hoofing the ball against the likes of City...I'm not.
This post doesn't make sense but don't bother clarifying for me, I've heard enough - thanks

JoaquinJoaquin

Sterling scored 2 goals man, what are you talking about? I wish our 'shite' players would get 2 goals in a game they have played bad in.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not at all.

If you get a chance, watch the film Moneyball, which is about American baseball so it may be boring if you're from elsewhere. The stuff in that film is what goes on at sports franchises the world over these days. In fact it's probably even more detailed.

Your opinion, straight from your ass.

Or are you not intelligent enough to realize you're doing the same thing? You'd be surprised what they're doing with big data in all professions these days. Look it up if you're up to the task.

Enjoy, l'il buddy.
a) I’m not you buddy
b) I’m familiar with big data. I work with it.
c) I’ve heard of Money Ball
d) I’m aware that clubs use sophisticated stats to analyse individual players
e) boue

However, your specific brand of stat-based bullshit was that:

a)
...the more progressive coaches are using it to determine where to apply workrate to maximize effort per possession or possession time.
b) Mourinho is different

Having been called out on your bullshit, the onus is now on you to back it up. Any kind of source at all for either a) or b) would do. So far the best you’ve come up with is to vaguely waffle on about big data and the Money Ball movie. With a few ad hominen attacks thrown in for good measure. That’s a pretty poor effort. 5/10. Must try harder.

David Evans

Another underwhelming performance against a side that was really up for it.

The manager looks at the moment as though the dugout is the last place he wants to be. Miserable, with hands in pockets, what sort of message does that send to players when they see their opponents manager showing so much passion. He also does not seem to rate or encourage Shaw who has been our best player in the recent games he has played. It will be a sad day if he is allowed to leave.

hungrywing

a) I’m not you buddy
b) I’m familiar with big data. I work with it.
c) I’ve heard of Money Ball
d) I’m aware that clubs use sophisticated stats to analyse individual players
e) boue
That wasn't a reply to your post. Perhaps you have a neurosis where you are acutely geared towards impulsively thinking that everything is directed towards you?

Also, source regarding b)? Being peripheral to an organization that works with it?

However, your specific brand of stat-based bullshit was that:

a)

b) Mourinho is different
If we're doing it then great! By any chance, um...source? I know you didn't claim to have one, as I never did, but since we're all doing it, I'd figure it was okay. Source?

Having been called out on your bullshit, the onus is now on you to back it up. Any kind of source at all for either a) or b) would do. So far the best you’ve come up with is to vaguely waffle on about big data and the Money Ball movie. With a few ad hominen attacks thrown in for good measure. That’s a pretty poor effort. 5/10. Must try harder.
Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself up here. You're seeing ad hominem attacks, hmm.

Good effort. Try harder li'l terrier! We're rooting for you!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
That wasn't a reply to your post. Perhaps you have a neurosis where you are acutely geared towards impulsively thinking that everything is directed towards you?

Also, source regarding b)? Being peripheral to an organization that works with it?

If we're doing it then great! By any chance, um...source? I know you didn't claim to have one, as I never did, but since we're all doing it, I'd figure it was okay. Source?

Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself up here. You're seeing ad hominem attacks, hmm.

Good effort. Try harder li'l terrier! We're rooting for you!
I'll take that as a no, then. Re providing evidence to back up a or b.

This has been a tedious little side-track but we got there in the end. Slow day at work, with the week that's in it, so I bear no grudge for the wasted time and effort. Toodle-pip.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
we were never going to retain this trophy and I'd happily take the defeat it it guaranteed three points at Leicester on Saturday. That said, we did look a bit arrogant. Rashford and Martial continually tried to be six or seven men and the substitutions were weird. Why bring on Mike (who was awful from his very first touch) and not Mata? Why take off Pogba so early? either he was fit or he wasn't. On a positive, good to see Ibra score; I think the injury has taken a lot more out of him than even he realised and he may never be a total genius again. As for their goals, more poor defending and with their winner, not sure why Romero came flying out and then got nowhere near the ball in a horrible impersonation of that clown Joe Hart

MJJ

I could repeat my opinion on the game you quoted but don’t see the point. You’ve already read it. They were great. We weren’t. The better team on the night won. I’m not massively concerned about our performance though. Certainly worried me less than, say, Huddersfield.
That's a very weird attitude to have regarding the game but fair enough.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777

Don't think it was an acceptable performance as some of the players were quite below par. Considering the chopping and changing done lack of cohesion was also to be expected a bit.
Also we've had these types of results under Ferguson many times under similar circumstances not sure why people are acting surprised.

unitedforeveral

We were just ridiculous and awful. Our football is beyond just bad, it's just so negative and unadventurous. We keep picking these defensive minded managers and spoil our whole game. Everytime a manager comes in, a lot of things change but the next time we have a overhaul, I hope we find the best attacking manager out there and end this sheeeeeet.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 335 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bristol win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Bristol 0:3 Man Utd
  • 27% Bristol 0:2 Man Utd