PL D FA Premier League

Burnley 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 August 2014

Get In Scholesy

Aside from Di Maria, none of our players today (or the past few months) would take the ball to the opposition. This is what makes it so easy for teams to defend against us. All the opposition will do is just mark the runner off the ball which in turn creates space for our player to drive on the ball to drive forward but since no-one in our side can do that defending against us becomes so easy. Thats what we saw today, the lack of movement on the ball from us allowed Burnley to just sit in front of their goal knowing the ball will be knocked from side to side without anyone making a penetrating run in behind their defence. We make it so easy for the opposition.

golazo

Melbourne, AU - Constantly F5'ing the Vidal thread
The 1-3-5-2 is not working. Change to a 1-4-2-2-2 or 1-4-2-1-3. The extra centerback in defense and the lack of competent wingbacks and midfielders are destroying our creativity upfront. Van Gaal also needs to make drastic changes including dropping one of van persie or rooney. Our squad and style of football is in a mess and Van Gaal is not directing it in the right direction.
shut the feck up with your 1-3-5-2 shit

the hea

Never thought I would say this but man am I happy their is a International break coming up. We desperately need our injured players back and get the new players ready to play.

siw2007

Disappointing result again but I am glad that we got the clean sheet. Di Maria seemed to add a bit of spark to our attack as well but still loads of work to do. Fletcher looks out of his depth out there and he needs to be taken out of the firing line. Looking forward to the international break and hopefully we get players back after.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
How long does Rooney have to play terrible for for him to be the one that should be off? We dodged a bullet last season.

fallengt

I give up, very few players can adapt to this system. At this rate we need a year, not 3 months. Well, kind of happy that int break is coming up, I need to get my mind off football for awhile, this is so frustrating

Danny Boi

Nobody looked a threat going forward bar Di Maria and all the defenders bar Jones looked a liability.We need Herrera,Shaw and Rafael back badly.

Leg-End

The fact we had to bring Anderson says it all, we are in a right old mess.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Not worrying just yet. Van Gaal starts slow, and our first XI next match will probably have 4-5 changes from what we saw today.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Why don't Burnley have ball boys? Seems like a trivial complaint, but every time the ball went out for a goal kick, the game took an age to restart. David De Gea was running down to the corner flag to get the ball. At one point, De Gea was stood there, clueless as to where a free ball even was.

Burnley's chant repertoire is pretty much Chelsea's. They've got #Burnley, Burnley, Burnleeeeey# and #C'mon Burnley#.

Not bitter at all.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
This team is rotten to the core. Rooney should've been sold, midfield should've been sorted centuries ago. Fellaini and Mata shouldn't have been bought. Our defense it awful.

It's looking rosy.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its evident that 3-5-2 isn't working. However we simply don't have full backs left. Rafael and Shaw are both injured.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
3-5-2 is shite. Van gaal needs to give in and change it next game. We simply aren't creating enough chances.

Man-United

Why don't Burnley have ball boys? Seems like a trivial complaint, but every time the ball went out for a goal kick, the game took an age to restart. David De Gea was running down to the corner flag to get the ball. At one point, De Gea was stood there, clueless as to where a free ball even was.

Burnley's chant repertoire is pretty much Chelsea's. They've got #Burnley, Burnley, Burnleeeeey# and #C'mon Burnley#.

Not bitter at all.
They also support their local team they told us.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
How long does Rooney have to play terrible for for him to be the one that should be off? We dodged a bullet last season.
Rooney can do anything, play like shit all the time, he will never get dropped. Only SAF could do that, Moyes and LVG look scared. Never mind dropping him though, he never gets substituted when he has a stinker.

Mister_Stubbs

Not worrying just yet. Van Gaal starts slow, and our first XI next match will probably have 4-5 changes from what we saw today.
I accept that we are in transition etc but so far we have seen no improvement what so ever.

Moonred

Maybe better to have gotten some of the more difficult fixtures out of the way?
I know, was a bit of tongue in cheek there. I was just thinking what would have happened if we played City and chelsea. In the long run, we will still lose to them probably so it wouldn't work out.

WyoManU

Instead of improvement it is getting worse. We are terrible. Jones in defense was okay, but the other two were pretty bad, especially Evans. Rooney looks past it. RVP looks past it. There are large spells when I forget Mata is even playing. Young and Valencia are awful wing backs. Fletcher is done. We are diving, and fast. Today we drew to a team that managed to stop us simply by every single one of their players giving 100% effort. Our lads give about 50%. It isn't even entertaining to watch, which is what drew me to the sport in the first place. I feel like I wasted 2 hours of my life.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
When you didn't get a decent striker( and in fact gave one to Everton) and it cost you the league? yeah, that was genius :D

Moriarty

Van Gaal needs to sort the midfield out urgently. If he does that, we might get away with the current back four until January but it's pretty clear that without a defensive midfielder, teams find it easy to pressure the defence into making stupid mistakes. Van Persie isn't match fit yet and Fletcher is a pale shadow of his former self. Even De Gea is looking a bit shaky.

daniel9988

Rooney can do anything, play like shit all the time, he will never get dropped. Only SAF could do that, Moyes and LVG look scared. Never mind dropping him though, he never gets substituted when he has a stinker.
I don't think LVG is scared of dropping Rooney.

Parma Dewol

I don't think many will agree, but I thought we were an improvement today. Kept the ball reasonably well, we made less silly mistakes in the second half, and we created enough chances to have won the game.

There are weak points, but it looks as though we're starting to get to grips with this new formation. Still lots of work to do, but get the likes of Blind, Rafael, Rojo, Herrera and Carrick in the starting 11 and I reckon we'll come good. It'll happen too late to challenge for the title this season, but I still think we can reach the top four.

Dylan94

As bad as it sounds the clean sheet will give the defence confidence. The system is staying. The sooner you accept it, the sooner things will seem better. It will take time. But when it works, it's fantastic, and it will work. In a few months time you will see that.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
What did DDG do to save us?

I thought there was also a severe lack of communication between him and the defenders at times
His distribution was poor today I thought.

Oh so you just singled out Rooney. What about RVP? he was shit.
RvP wasn't as bad as Rooney today. Not even close. Rooney and Mata were your worst players.

Ainu

Can't take a single positive from this game, other than that it's finished. I'm starting to feel desperate about this season. My head says we just need some time and will get going sooner or later, but I just don't have any faith in this team anymore. Feels like we'll never win a game again, or even put in a half decent performance.

legball

That performance was beyond painful. Don't get me started about injured players please, if what we had out there couldn't even work the Burnley GK then rebuilding or not, something is seriously wrong. I'm trying to understand this but it's impossible. We can't press, can't pass, can't move and we are so lethargic and you have LVG and his crew seated comfortably on the sidelines. I don't know why LVG keeps starting Young, I don't get it. We don't have a midfield, but please, Blackett should be told to stop his Rio Ferdinand long ball impressions, it was beyond a joke today, hitting long balls to no one in particular. And why did he make Rooney the captain, I don't think that would have gone down well with the group after what he's done in the past. If Moyes would take all the flak last season, then LVG deserves as much stick, and leaving Januzj on the bench until the 85 minutes was something Moyes would get killed for. I don't know what's happening at United but LVG had better stop this rot or he'll sooner lose the dressing room than Moyes did.

Dylan94

I don't think many will agree, but I thought we were an improvement today. Kept the ball reasonably well, we made less silly mistakes in the second half, and we created enough chances to have won the game.

There are weak points, but it looks as though we're starting to get to grips with this new formation. Still lots of work to do, but get the likes of Blind, Rafael, Rojo, Herrera and Carrick in the starting 11 and I reckon we'll come good. It'll happen too late to challenge for the title this season, but I still think we can reach the top four.
I agree. Very, very small steps I saw today but steps nonetheless.

Irrational.

I honestly cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel for us.

We are at an all-time low in terms of confidence, we never looked like scoring.

Burnley were laughing in terms of how easy it was to defend against us.

We're the masters of passing it around at the back and not doing much with the ball. The squad selection was questionable at best.

Someone has compared LVG's rein so far to Juande Ramos at Spurs. It seems that the players are scared of committing players or making mistakes. They'd much rather pass the buck and give someone else the responsibility with the ball. But no one wants to be that man to take risks and drive forward. Di Maria was a breath of fresh air in that regard.

This 3-5-2 bullshit is not going to work, especially against teams like Burnley and Sunderland. They pack the defence and find it easy to defend against us. There is simply no need for us to have five at the back against teams like these.

We should've lost, and Burnley had arguably the better chances. Chelsea are leading the way in showing us how to play against teams like this, and this was after going a goal down.

I'm depressed, weekend ruined. Now to wait another two weeks to watch us drop more points vs QPR. This was meant to be an easy start to the league, but we've been laughable.

LVG and the boys seriously need to buck their ideas up during this break. I'm glad we have some key players returning.

/rant.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
To be honest, I think the International Break has come at the perfect time for us. Injured players can have a rest and come back without the fear of missing a game.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I miss wingers. Chance creation wasn't high last season, but at least it felt like we were trying to score with the cross cross cross mentality.

This methodical style of play doesn't work because there is no one to stretch the opposition when the gap has been opened.

Di Maria drifted out to the left on plenty of occasions to offer some penetration but it's not enough.

Moriarty

Not bitter at all.
It's the Dave Fishwick effect. No bonuses, no ball boys. It's catching in Burnley.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Oh so you just singled out Rooney. What about RVP? he was shit.
Nope it the matchday thread I said that people still referred to RVP Mata and Roo as ' your best 3 players' despite the fact they havent been your best 3 players for a year and a bit.

Man of the Match

Angel Di Maria image Angel Di Maria 69% of 739 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 473 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw