PL W FA Premier League

Burnley 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 20 January 2018

Ace of Spades

feck - how difficult is getting the awareness of team mate in the right positions?

Lukaku completely ignores Mata. All he needed was a lay off and Mata is through.

Of all, our best player pogba in 3 against 1, with Martial and Lukaku taking 1:1 positions with GK and this guy decides to shoot.

Lingard taking a shot when Martial was free in the box. All he needed was a simple cut back.

Rashford ignores Lukaku and he tries to take on 2 people and then loses the ball.

Ofcourse the rant cant end without mentioning Fellaini. In the last minute of stoppage time, he tries for a flick when all he needed was to protect the ball and give back to Rashford to corner.
We were a comical mess, so many amateur mistakes.

Nik70

Tough fixture so glad to get the three points

We could've made this a lot easier if Pogba and Rashford looked up to see their fellow players unmarked in the box. Maybe the grey kit didn't help in being aware immediately.

Red, Black or White kit before the grey pyjamas next time. It blended with light blue sides and shorts of Burnley and is just not distinctive when looking out the corner of your eye. Also makes watching in the mist, haze and fog difficult.

Feck, lets even have bright yellow kit or green and yellow Newton Heath for when red black white doesn't work.
I agree. It was hard picking out players from different teams watching on TV nevermind having to rely on peripheral vision as a player.

marlowe78

To those of you who called me a hater and whatnot at FT in the match thread, thank you and my appreciation.

This was a flat-out bad performance and we were lucky to get 3 points from it. For a team that focuses on counterattacking, it seems like we never train on counterattacking play. So many poor decisions made. Martial was about the only forward who played well. Lukaku did make that assist to Martial but spent a lot of the game trying to first-touch a ball. I like him, but what a donkey. Lingard wasn't particularly great either but he did make some good stops defensively and his quickness gave Burnley problems.

Juan Mata...I hope this is the last time I see him with United or around United. I can't believe that he played ~70 minutes of this game and the fact that he's still on the roster at all. He's being played as a creator and there was more than one time when he got into an advanced position, with not a player around him, and he passed it back or switched it wide and killed the move. Gave the ball away constantly. Thoroughly fed up with seeing this beetle crawling around on the pitch. I honestly think Mkhitaryan couldn't be any worse today if he played.

A 2-man midfield simply does not work for us. Although this doesn't excuse Pogba today - he was poor. Selfish, I was yelling at the TV when he didn't release a pass to Martial on that 3 v 1 and had his shot blocked. Jose should give him a bollocking for that.

I do think that Matic wasn't as bad as people were saying. We are clearly a man short in the MF and I don't see why Herrera or even McTominay shouldn't be the extra man.

And free Luke Shaw!

I'll pick Jones as MOTM, thought he was excellent. On a 10 scale, I'll give us a 4. Spurs next league game? Hell...

Godfather

We need to kill teams off way better. Our counter attacks have been shite the last few games. Poor decision making.

VidaMata

Pogba should be ashamed, only I really don't know if he has it in himself.
He'll probably go right away on Instagram and do another Pogfeckingdance.
TWO players free to score inside penalty area and he................. I mean...

Last edited:

Krits

Pogba can be a real lazy git at times. If he's not up to it he just takes things too casually. The talent is well and truly there, he is our best outfield player. But he lacks self motivation. That chance with both Lukaku and Martial free next to him is unforgivable.

Rashfords decision making is very poor. Mata was also very poor today. Everyone seemed to be taking this more casually than they should have. I don't blame Mourinho for this match at all. Players need to have some level of professionalism and should be able to motivate themselves to play simple passes at least.

Jones for a man possessed today. MOTM for me.

Lukaku had a good first half, a bit more sloppy in the second.

3 points, but not the sort of display that adds confidence and momentum to our title challenge. We need to be more clinical to start winning the pre game mental battles. These sort of matches should be won before we even set foot on the pitch. We had the chances to be 2 or even 3 up at one point. But because we didn't, this win doesn't feel all that great.

Marcky411

After a performance like that I ask myself, what the hell are they doing in training during the week. We need a new attack minded coach in our coaching staff, someone who can coach our attacking half in their decision making or tactics.
Defensively and setting up to defend has really been worked on but when it comes to attack there seems to be no real plan or tactics, it seems to be more “play it by ear” and hope for the best.

At the end of the day its 3 points and move onto the next game. Can’t wait for Sanchez to be signed and done, we can really use a player like him.

GM K

I am trying to remember any worse game I have seen us play than today's game in terms of poor decision making in the final third. I was too shocked, too many times.

Mindhunter

To those of you who called me a hater and whatnot at FT in the match thread, thank you and my appreciation.

This was a flat-out bad performance and we were lucky to get 3 points from it. For a team that focuses on counterattacking, it seems like we never train on counterattacking play. So many poor decisions made. Martial was about the only forward who played well. Lukaku did make that assist to Martial but spent a lot of the game trying to first-touch a ball. I like him, but what a donkey. Lingard wasn't particularly great either but he did make some good stops defensively and his quickness gave Burnley problems.

Juan Mata...I hope this is the last time I see him with United or around United. I can't believe that he played ~70 minutes of this game and the fact that he's still on the roster at all. He's being played as a creator and there was more than one time when he got into an advanced position, with not a player around him, and he passed it back or switched it wide and killed the move. Gave the ball away constantly. Thoroughly fed up with seeing this beetle crawling around on the pitch. I honestly think Mkhitaryan couldn't be any worse today if he played.

A 2-man midfield simply does not work for us. Although this doesn't excuse Pogba today - he was poor. Selfish, I was yelling at the TV when he didn't release a pass to Martial on that 3 v 1 and had his shot blocked. Jose should give him a bollocking for that.

I do think that Matic wasn't as bad as people were saying. We are clearly a man short in the MF and I don't see why Herrera or even McTominay shouldn't be the extra man.

And free Luke Shaw!

I'll pick Jones as MOTM, thought he was excellent. On a 10 scale, I'll give us a 4. Spurs next league game? Hell...
Massive overreaction. Let's talk tomorrow once you have settled down. Burnley are an extremely well organized team and a lot of clubs will drop points there.

The points in the bag is what matters. Of course, our decision making in the final third could have been better today but we were clinical when it mattered and got the win.

Smores

Was always going to be difficult so the overall performance and result doesn't bother me. I'm only really frustrated because of the poor decision making at times which was inexcusable

serxyo

This has nothing to do with Burnley - we were playing really bad, those final decisions when we were 3on3 are so bad. Burnley are even worse then I thought. We should've scored at least 3 goals.

Van Allens Belt

Lukaku winning me over. Works so hard, holding up the ball better each game, unselfish. Great player!
The other attacking players have a lot to learn from him.

Marcky411

Shit performance thats all I can say. Thought the warm weather training was supposed to do them some good?
It did, they had fun in the sun, let down their hair and had ample time for selfies and vlogs :D

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Plenty of stuff to whinge about but Burnley were well drilled and made it difficult. 3 points in a tough fixture - just about good enough.

King.of.Red

I dont really care with our bad performances today as long as we get 3 points and tbh, I cant really enjoy the game because in my mind I also think about Sanchez transfer. :D
now, back to wait Sanchez signing announcement again.. :drool:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
3 away points, well in.

On another note, we already have ABUs slagging the team off left right and centre, it's kind of sad seeing our own fans being negative about the club as well.

Konimey

To be honest I am happy with a 1-0 win.Turf Moor is one of the hardest places to go to, no matter where Burnley stands in the table. They do not give any respect to any team that comes there, they just play their heart out. Even Barcelona or PSG would have a very tough time there. Plus Sean Dyches is a good manager, he seems to get the best out of his players. So United winning against Burnley at Turf Moor, even if it is a 1-0 victory, is a good result. Last season we would have either drawn or loss this match. So i see positive progress this new year.

kotha

We had 3 great counter attacks in the last 20 mins with Pogba,Lingard and Rashford.. We failed to get even a shot on target from all 3.. The Lingard one was tougher compared to the other two,but we should have been able to maintain our composure..

Would have made the last 10 mins comfortable..

Fitchett

Once again, clueless in the final third. A win is a win, but should have been more than 1-0. Twice Pogba and once Lingard were in good positions to shoot in the second half, but took so long, that they allowed a defender to block their shot.

And Mike Dean an absolute cnut for allowing 5 minutes of stoppage time and actually playing 6 in the second half. Wtf!

0161_UNITED

Well, not the most exciting match I’ve seen, to say the least. Burnley away is a tough task these days. They were organized, and well up for it. Outside of Smalling who I thought made some poor decisions that could’ve cost us, not much to complain about. We certainly could’ve dropped points today, but didn’t.

0161_UNITED

I am trying to remember any worse game I have seen us play than today's game in terms of poor decision making in the final third. I was too shocked, too many times.
Fulham, Moyes. Jot it down.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
feck - how difficult is getting the awareness of team mate in the right positions?

Lukaku completely ignores Mata. All he needed was a lay off and Mata is through.

Of all, our best player pogba in 3 against 1, with Martial and Lukaku taking 1:1 positions with GK and this guy decides to shoot.

Lingard taking a shot when Martial was free in the box. All he needed was a simple cut back.

Rashford ignores Lukaku and he tries to take on 2 people and then loses the ball.

Ofcourse the rant cant end without mentioning Fellaini. In the last minute of stoppage time, he tries for a flick when all he needed was to protect the ball and give back to Rashford to corner.
I sign everything you said. These same kinds of mistakes were punished against Leicester. Hopefully some of these youngsters can learn from Alexis.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Lukaku and Jones were easily the best two players on the pitch. I would give it to Lukaku as there is zero chance we win that game without him.

Also, Burnley are the worst bunch of diving cheats we've played in some time. Reminded me of Stoke under Pulis. There was more interest in trying to con the ref and cheat/complain their way to a win than their was in trying to actually play football. I mean they showd a lot of hard work and spirit which is worth giving credit for, but seemed to me they might have got something from the game if they'd spent more time actually playing it. They were winning most of the battles, then making it irrelevant by throwing themselves to the floor.

Foxbatt

Yes Jones was brilliant. His tackle in the first half should be noted or Burnley would have scored. As for Mata, his negatives outweigh his positives and just because he is a nice guy and keeps running non stop or has brilliant ball control does not mean he is good enough.
I hope that Sanchez comes and takes over the right side and replaces Mata. I cannot see even Mikhi worse than him on the right. At least he has pace and can dribble past people.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Jones is having a great season. Always believed he’d come good if he could get his fitness sorted. The injuries haven’t slowed him down any either. The best English CB by a long stretch.

Mata was appalling. Never been his biggest fan but he was taking the piss today, just nothing to redeem that performance at all. He’s made Mourinho’s decision regarding Sanchez much easier.

Thought Lukaku impressed again, was let down by teammates a few times which isn’t really acceptable. Especially shocking from Pogba when he could have played him in. So much for his BFF lol.

It’s a good result but a pretty concerning display. Dean and Barnes didn’t help matters but we just struggled to get a hold of the game.

Sanchez is obviously going to he a great addition but unless it leads to a formation shift I’m not sure how exactly he would improve our dominance. May be unpopular to say but I think Matic has dropped off hugely - I think all of the ‘told you so’s that were dished out to those skeptical about signing him may have been premature. He has been overplayed though.

stu_1992

Look it's a decent win away from home. Certainly nothing to be sniffed at. Performance left a bit to be desired particularly in the first half I thought where we did nothing with our possession. Our decision making seemed to be poor all game which cost us, and unfortunately in this game I think Pogba was a big culprit of that. Shocking decision with the added time at the end though.

Man of the Match

Phil Jones image Phil Jones 46% of 776 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 484 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw