PL W FA Premier League

Burnley 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 20 January 2018

redIndianDevil

I think Pogba desperately wanted to score a goal this match, he's usually not that greedy(he occasionally tries a thunderbastard but that's about it). He was kind of mad that the Ref allowed the Burnley players to man handle him occasionally.

AndyMUFC

Doesn't sound like it pretty but that was always a tricky looking game so three points is always good.

KristianMackle

It felt like a loss as crazy as that sounds. We would've been cruising if anyone passed to Lukaku when it mattered!

RonW

I have an observation, why does Lukaku and Smalling appear to fall on the ground while making a good pass? Lukaku played okay, but it doesn't look like he is confident with the ball outside the box.

artursk

It's all about getting points at the moment. I thought the performance wasn't great - I would like to see more overlapping between the wide forwards and fullbacks and a much faster transition from defense to attack but oh well. I thought Fellaini coming on gave us stability and the much needed physical presence - I can't believe his contract is still not sorted out.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Mike Dean is a cnut. He let them have an extra minute to score.
If I was the ref I wouldn't have blown the whistle either while the team is attacking. The biggest problem which created all that was Fellaini trying to get cute in Burnley's half with a little flick that gave the ball away and allowed them to counter. All he had to do was hold the ball and we would have killed off the game and Dean would have likely blown the whistle right on 5 minutes injury time...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
With Sanchez likely coming in, Mata probably picked the worst possible time to have his worst game possibly ever for United. Pogba was poor on the day too. 3 on 1 and he decides to shoot it right at the defender when he had options either side of him. Jones was fantastic. If there is a better defender in England I would love to know who he is. Just give him the armband now as he should be our captain (no offense to Valencia). In the end though, we got 3 points. On a day like today we could have easily dropped points, but it's a good sign when we can get 3 points while playing so poorly...

Cantonagotmehere

I am as positive a supporter as you can be but our decision making in the final 3rd was beyond frustrating. It killed me. I thought Lukaku was the best of a poor lot up front today. I thought the attackers would come out buzzing today with a new fight for places. Great points though!

Jones MoM for me.

Williams1960

Glad we got the win but that was absolutely awful. We are a chore to watch at times.

Agree.

Great win. But once again we go back to the awful football. So painful to watch. Points wise it's been a fine season but performances wise it's awful.

Still keeps us ahead of the scum at least. But depressing football. It always new jose was boring but surely his Chelsea team was not this bad?!

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
Agree.

Great win. But once again we go back to the awful football. So painful to watch. Points wise it's been a fine season but performances wise it's awful.

Still keeps us ahead of the scum at least. But depressing football. It always new jose was boring but surely his Chelsea team was not this bad?!
Completely disagree. The football was very good, Jose is not boring, and it should have been 5-0, same as it should have been 4 or 5 against Leicester but many chances were squandered.

After Fellaini came in and the formation switched to 451 there were at least 4 counterattacks that should have been goals if it wasn't for horrible decision making and selfishness in the final third. Alexis will not waste those chances.

eat_grass

Burnley's tactics in the first half (which set the tone for the rest of the match):
1. Pressure and harass Pogba.
- the ref let Burnely get away with niggling fouls, and Pogba was unable to get a head of steam and dictate play
2. Delayed press in waves.
- close down the defender with the ball, then close down his nearest options in a staggered attack
3. Man-mark players dropping deep to get the ball.
- whenever Lingard, Pogba, or Mata dropped deep, they were followed and pressed by a defender
4. Win the outlet aerial duels.
- United seemingly lost every aerial duel, while Burnely kept getting bailed out by fouls during challenges

United notes:
1. The only player that didn't lose his head under pressure was Matic, but even he had some terrible moments.
2. Shit first touch from absolutely everyone.
3. Shit decision making from everyone.
4. de Gea really needs to work on his distribution and accuracy.

Also, Dyche must be doing cocain the way he kept rubbing his nose.

Conclusion:
Clearly all the United players were up late last night dicking around in the Sanchez transfer thread. :/

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
With Sanchez likely coming in, Mata probably picked the worst possible time to have his worst game possibly ever for United. Pogba was poor on the day too. 3 on 1 and he decides to shoot it right at the defender when he had options either side of him. Jones was fantastic. If there is a better defender in England I would love to know who he is. Just give him the armband now as he should be our captain (no offense to Valencia). In the end though, we got 3 points. On a day like today we could have easily dropped points, but it's a good sign when we can get 3 points while playing so poorly...
Christ really? I was working so missed the match and will likely see this on MOTD soon...but really? That's disgusting.

dirkey

If I was the ref I wouldn't have blown the whistle either while the team is attacking. The biggest problem which created all that was Fellaini trying to get cute in Burnley's half with a little flick that gave the ball away and allowed them to counter. All he had to do was hold the ball and we would have killed off the game and Dean would have likely blown the whistle right on 5 minutes injury time...
Exactly this! I was roaring at the lump when he did that. Imbecile.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
We were always gonna struggle against Burnley. But we made it much more difficult than it should be. So wasteful. We've all heard of players being on another planet, well it couldn't have been more true today, especially for our offensive players. It was as if they were trying to get used to the gravity of a new planet.

Stuttering in key areas (even the defense), and at key instances could have really cost us today. Thankfully, Burnley were just as uninspired as us.

A word about our defense. Betterable. We have been pretty solid at the back this season. Hell, we've conceded in only 10 PL games so far, which is an achievement in itself. But the nervousness than seems to take hold of our defense once we score is making me anxious in turn. Batten the hatches, hold the fort, I don't care whichever clichéd idiom you use, but just be bloody proactive once you score, not reactive. All indications are that it's a psychological problem. Maybe these are vestiges of LVG's philosophy at work. Which is why I'm grateful we are getting a guy with a Greek name to come and try to help us with some much needed nous.

Reddevildans

Generally a poor performance, especially the first half. Devoid of urgency, ideas and attacking intent. Slightly better in the second half but there were moments of appalling decision making. Against spurs and the later stages of the ucl we will be punished.

I believe we lack a great deal of football intelligence up top. We have naturally talented attacking players who on their day or as a cohesive unit click but we also too inconsistently make some stupid decision's such as not passing to a player whos in on goal or giving the ball away sloppily (i.e lukaku giving the ball away from a corner in the second half which led to them crossing a dangerous ball across the penalty box).

Disappointing performance from pogba. But he's been immense so he's allowed one bad performance. Mata was terrible. Too slow. Too conservative in his passing and generally off the pace.

Going forward not really sure where sanchez will fit behind lukaku. As a big martial fan I hope it's not on the left. Would love him playing centrally. Another option would be martial and sanchez swaping positions during a game from central and left positions.

Also not a fan of a 2 man midfield in a 4231 formation away from home. It works at home when we dominate possession and teams sit back but away from home teams play through our middle all too easily. Another central midfielder needs to be bought to play with matic and pogba in the summer. Someone who's actually prepared to play the ball forward to pick a pass and has an engine at the same time.

Williams1960

Completely disagree. The football was very good, Jose is not boring, and it should have been 5-0, same as it should have been 4 or 5 against Leicester but many chances were squandered.

After Fellaini came in and the formation switched to 451 there were at least 4 counterattacks that should have been goals if it wasn't for horrible decision making and selfishness in the final third. Alexis will not waste those chances.
With two shots on target? 52 percent possession vs Burnley? I respectfully disagree.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Just watch it properly, couldn't in the afternoon and was just looking at live scores. I honestly thought we will drop points here and it will be an ugly game. It was ugly definitely but delighted to get out with 3 points. We have Spurs next, so the loss today would massively lift the pressure.

Jones was great, Lukaku good and Martial decent. That deciding goal lifts him up, but it was a brilliant finish. Worried about Matic, his form dropped a bit and maybe we should go into next games with a midfield three to get some burden off him and put Pogba higher up. Speaking about the latter, he had an off day in his head and that was probably the biggest problem in the attacking sense.

Let's move on, great result, not so good performance.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Terrible game. Could've easily finished 3-0 if it wasn't for Pogba and Rashford's greediness.
The only players that seemed any decent was Jones and Smalling. That's a telling sign when you're being outplayed by Burnley.
You are right. I still have hope that one day, we will be as good as your beloved Liverpool. :p

Foxbatt

Mata was terrible and I really do not understand why he keeps starting and then coming off? It is always the same. He has excellent ball control but that is all. He is not fit to play in our system as he slows down the play, lose possession, cannot tackle and cannot defend and cannot run. So Sanchez on the right would be better or behind Lukaku if we play a two man midfield or on the right with a 3 man midfield.

dar10nian

Fletchers biggest fan
Mata was terrible and I really do not understand why he keeps starting and then coming off? It is always the same. He has excellent ball control but that is all. He is not fit to play in our system as he slows down the play, lose possession, cannot tackle and cannot defend and cannot run. So Sanchez on the right would be better or behind Lukaku if we play a two man midfield or on the right with a 3 man midfield.
Agree 100%. Mata is a great bloke, but just not good enough as a Man Utd player. A front 4 of Martial; Sanchez; Rashford and Lukaku should be devastating.

lex talionis

Even if Martial had missed, we would have found another way to score later. It was ugly, which we know is part of the bargain with Mourinho, but it was a deserving victory.

Mata is a great guy but he's just not good enough to be a regular starter for United. As soon as Sanchez signs the paperwork and gets in a few days of training, he'll assume the Mata role.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
With two shots on target? 52 percent possession vs Burnley? I respectfully disagree.
Statistics are deceiving. Shots on target don't count missed opportunities to play in a teammate into a 1 on 1 with the keeper. Same goes for possession; if we score 4 goals on counterattacks, nobody would care about possession.

Obiorahking_

Too conservative from Lingard and Mata today and the passing and the decision making from Pogba wasn't good. He overhit multiple passes that could have led to goal scoring opportunities. Rashford made some terrible decisions too and he barely played. Nevertheless, it was just an off game that still resulted in the win.

Denis79

I was nervous before this game, Burnley are a tough nut to crack. So happy we got the 3 points. Some poor individual decisions on the pitch made this game harder then it should have been.

Mr PG

I think Pogba desperately wanted to score a goal this match, he's usually not that greedy(he occasionally tries a thunderbastard but that's about it). He was kind of mad that the Ref allowed the Burnley players to man handle him occasionally.
I concour. The players knew we were struggling real bad and Pogba’s desperation to retrieve the situation led to bad decisions. I agree pogba is usually not this bad with decisions so I will cut him some slack. Every single player was below their usual standards except for De Gea and Jones

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Interesting point to note, that since Mata was so awful that I also felt Fellaini was making all the right decision and getting involved all the time.
Yep. Simple football helped

Bestietom

Some bad decision making in the final third. Lukaku could have had a hat trick if he was given the right ball when free.

AndyJ1985

Our attack is as fluid as a rusty lock. Mata provides absolutely nothing at all, and whilst my estimation of Lingard has gone up, he should still only be a squad player. Sanchez should improve our play and help us unlock tight defences, but I'd like to see us bring in a creative type in the mould of Ozil or De Bruyne. We need players with better decision making and creativity. At the moment we pretty much rely solely on Pogba to create chances out of nothing. When he isn't at his best we look out of ideas and the only way we'll score is through some individual skill or a long range shot.

Bestietom

Our attack is as fluid as a rusty lock. Mata provides absolutely nothing at all, and whilst my estimation of Lingard has gone up, he should still only be a squad player. Sanchez should improve our play and help us unlock tight defences, but I'd like to see us bring in a creative type in the mould of Ozil or De Bruyne. We need players with better decision making and creativity. At the moment we pretty much rely solely on Pogba to create chances out of nothing. When he isn't at his best we look out of ideas and the only way we'll score is through some individual skill or a long range shot.
Totally agree @AndyJ1985

superdry

touched by a genius
Some bad decision making in the final third. Lukaku could have had a hat trick if he was given the right ball when free.
Agree, we seem to be our own worst enemy when deciding how to play that last ball in the opponents box.

Acole9

Outstanding
Not the easiest of places to go to so happy with the 1-0 (For the rich mans Stoke :lol: Holt you prat) Most of the individual performances were fairly average, especially from a couple of attacking players who's places are under threat from the expected arrival of Sanchez.

Man of the Match

Phil Jones image Phil Jones 46% of 776 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 484 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw