PL W FA Premier League

Burnley 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 23 September 2023

JediSith

Rashford is genuinely a stupid player. How does he decide to shoot when there’s 4 players in front of him and Casemiro to the right free on goal.

sillwuka

Positives -
Hannibal can play the Fred role
Evans MOTM
Bruno stepped up with that finish
Rashford and Hojlund trying to link up, work in progress
Onana CS

Negatives -
No style of play, relying on moments of genius
No control against Burnley
Dreary, slow build up play

MonkeysMagic

Absolute dogshit performance but woukd gladly take the win!

I'm don't think we can expect this team to play well now, I mean well like a team destined to win things. Midfield is such an issue when we keep gifting possession away under no pressure.

Hopefully Amrabat playing means we can change things here but I just can't get excited for the rest of season.

Fts 74

Reading the comments on here sounds like a lot of you wanted us to lose.

We didn't play well but we were never really threatened.Considering the team he put out what did everyone really expect?

We got the 3 points which were badly needed move on.

Shiva87

Important win to start building some confidence. Players look totally shaken from the start of the season.

there was 1 job today - keep a clean sheet, and they did that. We will get players back and play better, but important to win games when we don’t have them.

Shaw, Varane, AWB, Amrabat, Mount will make a big difference to the back.

Rashford has been totally dire because of the extra work needed from him defensively. Needs to buck up his ideas. He is one heck of a confidence player.

Mejbri was excellent. We totally comfortable pressing and moving the ball in tight spaces. I hope he gets more chances after this.

Bruno with a quality goal. Also, his defensive work goes unnoticed. We immediately broke the Burnley build up once Bruno moved over to the left, and he was backing up Hojland

Onwards and Upwards

SirScholes

All I kept thinking was: How is it that a team with a fraction of our spending power and generally 2nd tier talent can have better patterns of play, superior technical quality, smarter decisions, and bravery? I’ve been a big supporter of ETH, but surely he has to do a better job in match preparation, tactics and getting the team to execute successful patterns of play. Even his substitutions were uninspiring.

1/10 for me for ETH this match.
1-0 to ETH over kompany despite being the inferior manager in your eyes ?

Scriblerus

Brilliant goal. Scrappy otherwise. Retention of possession was woeful -sloppy passes and control gave the initiative back to Burnley timer after time. Hannibal did well, good movement and distribution. Saw nothing from McTominay but maybe he was doing what he was asked to and keeping the shape (?). Shout out for Onana who did everything he needed to (bar a dodgy flap at a corner) and passed well.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
What a mature performance for Hannibal. This was especially true late in the match when he seemed to make the best decisions with the ball. I might add better decisions than all the other players.

Maybe we can win the next 3 with good performances and start getting players back.

Who is going to play left back?

SuperiorXI

Scraped by 0-1 with an "individual moment" goal against Burnley who had a higher xG, more possession, and generally were ahead statistically throughout the game. A win's a win, but if we were to rewind time and replay that game ten times, I don't even think we'd have won five of them.
They hardly threatened us for most of the game

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
All I kept thinking was: How is it that a team with a fraction of our spending power and generally 2nd tier talent can have better patterns of play, superior technical quality, smarter decisions, and bravery? I’ve been a big supporter of ETH, but surely he has to do a better job in match preparation, tactics and getting the team to execute successful patterns of play. Even his substitutions were uninspiring.

1/10 for me for ETH this match.
I thought 2nd half considering all circumstances was almost perfectly managed

that's some difference in opinions

Chipper

Adulterer.
Love 1-0 wins away from home. Some of the most satisfying results.

Add our injury woes into the equation and I'll take that every time. Performance wasn't marvelous but decent enough, we needed that win. Happy!

Giggsy13

Needed this type of win after a very rough few weeks. Similar to last season we built momentum with a few scrappy performances after a slow start. Given the injury list we need some patience, it will get better.

youngrell

Solid enough away performance given the situation and current form, will hopefully galvanise the team a bit.

Some positives were Casemiro looking a little sharper, Hannibal was good and got better as the game went on, Evans can be relied upon in these type of games and a nice, steady performance from Bruno.

Hojlund made all the right decisions but his execution needs some work.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Good win but we are poor. Moments FC. Relying in individual brilliance like we were under previous managers.

Ive given up at this stage - apathetic.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Just hoping that Sergio doesn't have a bad injury...... I mean with Licha injured who else can we play at left back? That's my only worry right now.

daveskimufc

Whilst I'm sure Hannibal will be dropped, he has earned his place tonite.

Mctominay deserves no more chances.
Hojlund looks combative but needs support, would like to see mount from the right.

Palace next hope to see Amrabat start in mctoms place.

SirScholes

Important win to start building some confidence. Players look totally shaken from the start of the season.

there was 1 job today - keep a clean sheet, and they did that. We will get players back and play better, but important to win games when we don’t have them.

Shaw, Varane, AWB, Amrabat, Mount will make a big difference to the back.

Rashford has been totally dire because of the extra work needed from him defensively. Needs to buck up his ideas. He is one heck of a confidence player.

Mejbri was excellent. We totally comfortable pressing and moving the ball in tight spaces. I hope he gets more chances after this.

Bruno with a quality goal. Also, his defensive work goes unnoticed. We immediately broke the Burnley build up once Bruno moved over to the left, and he was backing up Hojland

Onwards and Up
makes a lot of sense

we were 1cm from taking 3 points at arsenal and I reckon the confidence would of shot through the roof. Been a rough few weeks and playing away against a newly promoted team, who would have seen this as the perfect big name scalp, not an easy game.

some fans spend too much time on FM

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Needed this type of win after a very rough few weeks. Similar to last season we built momentum with a few scrappy performances after a slow start. Given the injury list we need some patience, it will get better.
Good positive comment.

foolsgold

Excellent performance from Hannibal, he's clearly ready for the premier league, wonder what happens when Mount is fit though.

It's still not great in general, but there are green shoots of recovery.

OmarUnited4ever

3 pts.
Meh performance
Dominated by promoted side

Even if allowing Burnly to keep the ball was intentional, we fumbled great transitional situations, aside from Evan's gorgous assist and Bruno's exquisite finish, we were trash, thankfully Burnly didn't do shit attacking wise aside from half chances and one grest chance in the 1st half.

drdoityourself

This team is missing so many players through injury and disciplinary reasons and this makeshift lineup managed to grind out 3 very important points. Can't understand how so many seem to me looking for negatives after this game.

Well done Mejbri, Evans my MOTM

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Much needed 3 points. The performance wasn't good against a bottom of the league team. This is the problem for me, it poses further questions and worries about the upcoming games as none will be that poor.

Right now we're playing like a team near the relegation zone at the end of the season and looking to pick up points, when really we should have been looking at trying to keep pace with the leaders after only 6 games. Feels like we're right back at square one. I had this same feeling under Ole in his final season.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Great 3 points considering the injury situation. 2nd half performance was a bit better but still unconvincing of course.

TheReligion

Abusive
Reading the comments on here sounds like a lot of you wanted us to lose.

We didn't play well but we were never really threatened.Considering the team he put out what did everyone really expect?

We got the 3 points which were badly needed move on.
I mean who would have thought it would be a disjointed performance when there’s literally a full XI out injured?

The Caf crowd are a strange bunch.

Played Bayern away Wednesday. I’ll take three points and move on. No drama.

Gordon S

Burnley were thankfully very blunt in attack and did very little with all the possession they had, so we managed the win, great stuff!

But what is going on with our players? Scott is hanging with his head and making so many awful decisions it is hard to fathom.
Rashford the same, consistently ignoring players in better positions to shoot.
Our press from the front is consistently shocking, just shocking, they constantly have players with acres of space to pass to. And we see it every game. Our ability to keep the ball in the team and move forward with the ball in possession is non existent, we need the quick break straight to the striker or we get caught.
Happy for Evans, had a decent game!

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Nice goal, three points, clean sheet, Rashford and Hoijlund showing signs of a budding partnership, Hannibal decent and a debut for Amrabat.

To counter all those positives we had very little quality on show, awful passing at times, gave the ball away too easily and a better side would have taken something from the game.

On to the next game.

Irwin99

Don't care too much about the performance, points were needed and we got them....performance was a bit iffy though :nervous: .

Hannibal made a big difference in terms of energy although his quality at times was a bit mixed. Evans and Lindelof were pretty good. Injury situation is fecking ridiculous.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Only watched first half, was disappointed with our persistence in passing the ball backwards at every opportunity. We seemed to be bereft of any plan, any organization, and there are too many players who will not try something different. The goal was a great pass from Evans, who played quite well, Hannibal got several good tackles in and looks good going forward, and I think will only improve with more games.
Overall, really pleased with the result, but we really must start playing the ball quicker, and when we do win the ball in midfield, push forward quickly before the opposing team get all their players back when we inevitably play the ball back to our defenders.

MrBest

A lot to learn about thus game I think.

1. Couldn't care less about the performance, the only thing that mattered was 3 points. The clean sheet was a huge bonus.

2. Rashford and Hojlund look like they are learning to combine and play together. Who knows if it will be successful but at least Rashford is not shooting everytime he gets the ball.

3. Hannibal deserves a chance again. I thought he was brilliant. Bruno out if the middle makes sense to me, he loses too many balls. I wouldn't be against seeing Hannibal in the 8.

4. Not signing a CB was a terrible decision. Kim was there for the taking at 50m.

Anyway, I hope to see a fresh new team during the week and us building on this.

Gaidal

Got Varane and Amrabat back but lost Reguilon and Martinez.

In the future i hope two of Hannibal, Amrabat, Maino, Mount always starts in midfield, at least they can all run.

cj_sparky

Turf Moor is never easy, Burnley always make it tough. It is just usually isn't with them playing the way they do now.

It is a patched up side at the back and I thought they did pretty well overall. Evans played really well and was a pleasant surprise. Nice to see Onana make a couple of saves too.

Casemiro and Hannibal both played well. McTominay was awful in the first half, but made a few decent interceptions in the second.

Bruno played well. Rashford and Hojlund both making the wrong choices through out the game. Rashford is a real worry, he is looking like the lad of 21/22 right now.

Wins a win.

Back To Madeira

Clean sheet, three points and away victory! Are we back?

Never seen the game, was there plenty of team spirit evident at the final whistle?

Man of the Match

Jonny Evans image Jonny Evans 48% of 313 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 292 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw