PL W FA Premier League

Burnley 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 23 September 2023

TheReligion

Abusive
Was just about to name our list of unavailable players myself. Were people really expecting a cohesive team performance when our squad is ravaged with injuries and returning from an away European tie?! Our entire back 4 was missing from our starting lineup today ffs! Remember when Liverpool had Van Dijk and Matip injured and lost 6 home games on the spin? Swear some people just love whinging for the sake of it.
Ten Hag has been here a year and people expect the whole squad should be playing in his image. The majority of the players in the squad are injured and a large chunk still aren’t actually his.

Absolute thickos with limited understanding of football.

Bondi77

1) why use a combination of Euros and Pounds?

2) United have wasted money over the past decade. What does that have to do with anything?

3) If you don’t understand why having 11 of the first team squad out of action, including 3 of your back 4, makes a difference on how you play then you need to have a wobble of your head
I am surprised he never used pence instead of pounds.

justsomebloke

A bit more perspective;

Shaw, Martinez, Varane, Wan Bissaka, Malacia, Mount, Amrabat, Mainoo, Antony, Sancho, Maguire all unavailable.

The team just played an away game in the Champions League on Wednesday.

The team isn’t in form and quite disjointed.
True. Still.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Ten Hag has been here a year and people expect the whole squad should be playing in his image. The majority of the players in the squad are injured and a large chunk still aren’t actually his.

Absolute thickos with limited understanding of football.
Precisely. Even if we started to be run properly when ten Hag was hired (which I doubt given the lack of a proper DoF structure etc), it would still take several transfer windows to shift the dead weight and bring in replacements. Even more so given the FFP mismanagement of the club.

DevTheRed

Was a poor performance I thought, but considering the injuries and the fact it’s still a fairly new set-up/tactic you can kind of sympathise.

Patterns of play still aren’t there, apart from lumping it over the back line for someone to chase onto I don’t get what we’re trying to do. A little bit worrying but we certainly haven’t found our groove yet.

Hannibal is was definitely positive and it was good to see us defending as a team again, far more willing runners than in previous games.

caid

For all their possession, Burnley are the least threatening team we’ll play all season. Not a lot more to say about that match. It was grim.
Yeah that pretty much covers it. Sitting back is probably the sensible approach to them but doubt he would have chosen it had we been on a winning run. We played our shit on a stick part quite well i guess.

justsomebloke

I watched the game without reading through the match thread and I thought we were quite solid tonight without being spectacular. Better than the previous games to be honest, and something to build on.

But I have a quick read through the match thread and look and here and my god, people sure do love a moan.
Yes they do, but this is not that (well not all of it at least). You seriously think that was "quite solid"? I've seen United play worse, sure - but I'm actually hard pressed to think of a game from recent years where they put in that level of effort and fight, and still looked so short on quality. I'll take the points uncomplaingly, acknowledge the myriad absences and hope for an upswing, but we really can't continue playing like this.

big_jeffstar

I feel like I’ll never enjoy a United match ever again.
3 points though… so… whatever

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Here's some stats for a bit of perspective -
Players missing - 10+
Goals scored: 1
Goals conceded: 0
Points won: 3

Right now that is all that matters.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I guess. Does that performance inspire confidence in you? Burnley is dead last in the table!!! How could anyone look at that performance and say we’re a good side?
It actually did yes because I weighed up all caveats coming into the game and during it too.

sometimes cliché are correct and winning ugly when you’ve been up against it is exactly what’s needed and that is absolutely the case tonight. Although 2nd half I genuinely thought we played a very good half. 1st half was more concerning.

TheReligion

Abusive
I guess. Does that performance inspire confidence in you? Burnley is dead last in the table!!! How could anyone look at that performance and say we’re a good side?
Do you even know what you’re saying yourself? I definitely don’t.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Right. Found it really weird when people were saying he isn't ready and needs another loan. Codswallop! Like a duck to water.
Not to pile onto ETH I think we could have developed Hannibal rather than got mount. And save the money for another more experienced striker or a defender.

always_hoping

Here's some stats for a bit of perspective -
Players missing - 10+
Goals scored: 1
Goals conceded: 0
Points won: 3

Right now that is all that matters.
Indeed all that matters and moving swiftly on to the next games whereby some of the missing 10+ will hopefully see some game time.

moodyred

Not to pile onto ETH I think we could have developed Hannibal rather than got mount. And save the money for another more experienced striker or a defender.
With injuries mounting, we might need more than Mount and Hannibal. We can't stop playing McT

Thom Merrilin

I think we're so far away from ETH's vision that I find it hard to judge how we played today. We're basically at the point where getting 3 points is all that matters.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
A real plus has been Hannibal's performances in the last couple of games. He has stepped up really well and his intensity sets the tone for everyone else. His rise is even more of a reason to sell McTominay who has been absolute shite any time he has played this season.

RedDevil@84

Well it wasn't pretty. But win is a win.
Once again we are just reliant on a moment of brilliance. But given our injury crisis, guess we take whatever we get. Was nice to see Hannibal show some promise.

A bit more perspective;

Shaw, Martinez, Varane, Wan Bissaka, Malacia, Mount, Amrabat, Mainoo, Antony, Sancho, Maguire all unavailable.

The team just played an away game in the Champions League on Wednesday.

The team isn’t in form and quite disjointed.
To some extent the team we put out should still be coached to keep the ball better and create more opportunities than a Championship side full of new youth signings.

Regardless of personnel, Casemiro, Hannibal, Bruno are categorically better than the likes of Josh Cullen and Brownhill. They ran the show tonight.

Winrar

Moments FC strikes again, but it's an important 3 points on the board that we desperately needed after several disappointments.

Even still, some good things to take away from the game in isolation - Evans was surprisingly quite solid. Hannibal with good 90mins giving us another option in midfield. Casemiro looking a lot better than he recently has. Onana with a much needed clean sheet and a good performance after a shocker at Munich. Varane returning from injury... for now.

Captmfla

Good performance from the team. What matters most is to get 3 points and having a clean sheet. Great confidence booster for the team!

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Moments FC strikes again, but it's an important 3 points on the board that we desperately needed after several disappointments.

Even still, some good things to take away from the game in isolation - Evans was surprisingly quite solid. Hannibal with good 90mins giving us another option in midfield. Casemiro looking a lot better than he recently has. Onana with a much needed clean sheet and a good performance after a shocker at Munich. Varane returning from injury... for now.
Agree with all your points but I think the quality of opposition made Casemiro look more in control.

Tarrou

somehow got a win with that back four and McTominay starting

ETH rode his luck for this one, but that's fine for me with this amount of players missing

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That was such an important result. With two home games coming up we needed to get 3 points here by any means possible. If we can capitalise on it over the next couple of games it’ll really kick start our season.

Job well done no matter the performance.

Lj82

Watched the match through VOD. Most on here have covered all the bases regarding the negative aspects. Indeed the match was not pretty, but I thought no point to be labour those points anymore.

So instead, the positive from my pov:

1) Johnny proving his value. Great forward passes leading to the goal and another chance, brings composure to the back. A pity his goal was ruled out, but that was good presence in the box at both ends.

2) Hannibal was surprisingly mature and composed in his play, while still being industrious and showing good creativity and passing up front. I underestimated his ability to step up in the epl.

3) I like Regulion. Fights hard, enthusiastic and decent quality. Just need him to strike up an understanding with Rashford.

4) Bruno moment of magic. Still the critical piece of the chess in attack for us while not exactly hitting form yet.

5) I thought Casemiro quietly had a good game screening the back. We looked less porous and he looks more assured. Need him to recover to his best for us to have a meaningful season.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Watched the match through VOD. Most on here have covered all the bases regarding the negative aspects. Indeed the match was not pretty, but I thought no point to be labour those points anymore.

So instead, the positive from my pov:

1) Johnny proving his value. Great forward passes leading to the goal and another chance, brings composure to the back. A pity his goal was ruled out, but that was good presence in the box at both ends.

2) Hannibal was surprisingly mature and composed in his play, while still being industrious and showing good creativity and passing up front. I underestimated his ability to step up in the epl.

3) I like Regulion. Fights hard, enthusiastic and decent quality. Just need him to strike up an understanding with Rashford.

4) Bruno moment of magic. Still the critical piece of the chess in attack for us while not exactly hitting form yet.

5) I thought Casemiro quietly had a good game screening the back. We looked less porous and he looks more assured. Need him to recover to his best for us to have a meaningful season.
I agree with most of your points.

I am one of Hannibal's biggest defenders. I would have preferred developing him than buying Mount. But he needs to develop positional discipline which is where Mount excels.

Hannibal's all over the shop like a Bruno -- but without Bruno's magic. Not yet anyway, being only 20.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
The sign of champions has always been playing poorly and winning one nil. Maybe it's a sign of what's to come in May.

quadrant

Needed a win and got it. This wasn't a game where possession or other stats mattered. With a dreadful injury crisis, and confidence that had to be rock bottom after that start to the season, we needed three points to get the ball rolling again. A few more wins will transform the mood around the club.

Unam333

somehow got a win with that back four and McTominay starting

ETH rode his luck for this one, but that's fine for me with this amount of players missing
I don't think we rode our luck. It was Burnley. Even with our fringe players we should have won. The players in that back four plus McTominay all played in their preferred positions. They all represent their countries.

But yeah, the morale is low at the moment and no PL game is easy it seems.

Happy we won an away game, a clean sheet as well and didn't gave away lots of chances.
Just our possession percentage, creating chances and scoring goals are right now really below par.

Man of the Match

Jonny Evans image Jonny Evans 48% of 313 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 292 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw