g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

LC W League Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 4:1 Burton Albion

Post-match discussion

Wed, 20 September 2017

MrBest

Shite football. Scoring only 4 goals all the time. It's like Mourinho gives up after scoring 4 goals and only tries to defend after that. When will our club come out of this ditch. Total defensive mentality. Parking the bus after 4 goals. We need to buy more creativity in the attacking third. And probably bring in Klopp. I'm sick of watching our team score only 4 goals. At least we conceded one today, so that was refreshing. But that's the only highpoint from today. Long way to go.
I would rather win 20 games 4 0 than a couple 6 0. Thats usually how the going goes. In the league we have scored almost 30% of the goals we had done in total last season and its 5 games in! In our total 8 games this year we have scored 24 and conceded 5 with 5 clean sheets! Thats an average of 3 a game scored and 0.6 conceded. Pretty good start if you ask me! Last year that game would of been 1 or 2 nil.

Last season we scored 4 6 times in total! Once in the league, twice in fa cup twice in europa league and one in the league cup.

In 21 games in the league we had scored zero or once and including other competitions that total becomes 33.

Improvement is there!

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Good going forward tonight. We've got an embarrassment of riches right now with everyone looking hungry and in good form. Funny how Mata is the complete odd man out and still has no goals or assists, but, still, he looks good.

Defensively we looked a little loose. Think it may have been a foul, accidentally, on the keeper for our goal, but we gave them a number of decent choices. No-one outside of our first choice defence is catching the eye. I suspect Young may well be the first choice at LB now.

What was up with the Burton fans? Never seen away fans sitting for the whole 90 minutes at OT. They didn't seem to sing or chant all night.

RuudTom83

Couldn't care less about the late goal...The attack performance was wonderful to watch at times.

4 goals all from open play :drool:

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Yes, but. Yes, but. The shoal of moaning minnows had their moments, ok. They were quite good in their own way. But then in a flash they were gone, and in their place a great looming shadow emerged from the deep. @MZX7 in the water.
All these Mourinho fanboys are ganging up against me. At least Moyes had class. Mourinho is a Pulis wannabe. Always scoring 4 goals or less per game. Should take a hard look at himself after these shoddy performances.

MarchingOn

Some of the most beautiful football we've watched in years! Keep it coming Jose!

That's how you're supposed to handle these types of teams. Total 180 from the LVG days! :)

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Great first half. Martial and Rashford were exciting; Lingard had a decent game in attack too.
Nice that the whole squad has more or less received minutes now.

Last year this would have been a game in which it would have been painful to watch, but our play looks so much more exciting this year.

It's nice to think that we can rest Lukaku at times, and play one of Martial/Rashford up front and be relaxed about it. That's even before mentioning Zlatan returning.

Sereques

Shite football. Scoring only 4 goals all the time. It's like Mourinho gives up after scoring 4 goals and only tries to defend after that. When will our club come out of this ditch. Total defensive mentality. Parking the bus after 4 goals. We need to buy more creativity in the attacking third. And probably bring in Klopp. I'm sick of watching our team score only 4 goals. At least we conceded one today, so that was refreshing. But that's the only highpoint from today. Long way to go.
No white text?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Martial's highlights from this game are a bit of a wonder show. Games like these he looks like he could go as far as he wants. What annoyed me no end was the player who kept fouling him, Lund. Pushed him at least once in an off the ball incident and kicked the ball at him in the end when he just fouled him previously. He was being a shit even at 3-0. Poor ref.

The score could have been much better, very creative in the game until the 2nd sub. Lindelof is probably not ready for the Prem yet, looked a bit shaky but overall positive run out for most of them.

moodyred

Under Moyes and LVG however, you never know what you are going to get. Under Jose, expected nothing short of a win.

However, as some posters mentioned, we are just not good enough. Against a PL team like Everton, we scored 4. Against a club 2 divisions down, we also only scored 4. I would have expected multiples of 2 at least. Jose needs to wake up his idea and start giving the players a hairdryer treatment which SAF would no doubt have done. Every midfielder and striker should be scoring hat tricks.

Member 57516

Great attacking play. Our fowards are truly sick, and will only improve.

Burton did not deserve their late goal, annoying our home clean sheet is gone but hey.

Smalling and Shaw need replacing. Darmian and Lindelof need to improve.

LoneStar

I would rather win 20 games 4 0 than a couple 6 0. Thats usually how the going goes. In the league we have scored almost 30% of the goals we had done in total last season and its 5 games in! In our total 8 games this year we have scored 24 and conceded 5 with 5 clean sheets! Thats an average of 3 a game scored and 0.6 conceded. Pretty good start if you ask me! Last year that game would of been 1 or 2 nil.

Last season we scored 4 6 times in total! Once in the league, twice in fa cup twice in europa league and one in the league cup.

In 21 games in the league we had scored zero or once and including other competitions that total becomes 33.

Improvement is there!
Pretty sure he was joking mate!

IronTulip

Streamed the game at work without commentary.

Was enjoyable watching the attacking phase. So much movement, passing, and control. Thought Martial's close control was amazing, but I gave Lingard MOTM. Thought Lingard worked really hard today, and was everywhere. IMO he offers a lot more then Mata.

Defense was a big negative for me though.

VL :nervous:. So slow to react. Bad positioning and think he lost every aerial duel. Hated the way he kept using his arms when in possession like he was asking his team mates to give him passing options. Don't recall seeing any defensive ability from VL in a United shirt so far, including the friendlies.

Shaw apart from his initial run and wrongly disallowed goal was terrible. With that run he showed what he is capable of, but was slow, and uninterested in everything afterwards :(.

Sadly, looks like Young may be our best bet for LB till at least the Jan window.

Klopp_De_Klown

Apart from the late goal that game went pretty much perfect. Most of the second string got 90 mins and our attack was excellent I thought all the players did well enough until i came on here and now find myself neeeding to look again to see what Lindeloff got up to. Darmian did well except he was to blame for the goal. Like what was he doing on the line just watching. He has to see the danger earlier and get out to close down its 3 steps away. That aside i though he did well got forward well.

Shaw and Lindeloff got some much needed game time as did Carrick and Herrera. The only thing missing was a Mata goal. No injuries no cards and for the first time in ages we put minnows to the sword propperly. Lingard Tony M and Rash all keeping the goals ticking along was perfect.

Martial MOTM with Rash a very close second

SirScholes

Great going forward, could of had more if lingard was more consistent, great touch for rashford but also missed a lot of opportunities by delaying his decision.

It's very worrying how bad our back up defenders are tho, really really poor at the back

Kapardin

It was a training session to be honest. I don't take much from it.

The only significant thing is that the goals would help Rashford and Martial's confidence. Lingard too, he needs to contribute as a squad player, so good for him.

Good for Carrick and Herrera to get a run about as well.

Bestietom

Martial was fantastic. If he kept that consistency level in all games, Mourinho could not drop him

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We beat a team who will struggle to stay in the championship and they made changes themselves and weren't at full strength, yet they created 4 very good chances.

Against a better team our defence will be exposed.
True. Mourinho will have some serious questions to answer after that pathetic performance.

Ashley R1+O

Feel for Peirera. Routine win otherwise, excellent performance the lads should be proud of.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Ended up going to the game at the very last minute yesterday. Sat 4th row in the SAF stand right by the left wing on the side where we were attacking in the first half, which was very different, as my season tickets are in Stretford End Season 2...was quite fun being so close to the pitch, (apart from getting soaked because of the rain), my lasting observations were:

- Martial has insanely quick feet... when you see them up close he moves ridiculously fast.
- He also spends most of the game looking really really pissed off... i think that's just his resting face though.
- Mata's weight of pass is glorious
- Our players don't half bunch up really close together at times
- Burton's Number 6(?) has to be the smallest professional footballer alive... even Juan towered over him
- The first half was great, the second half was less great, but a decent night out at OT overall.

Unmutual

Main thing I liked last night is that we want to score goals. Once Rashford get his goal, he wants another. He gets another, so then he wants a hat-trick. Then you can see Martial realising he can get in on the act and wants to score too. Then Mata and Lingard start having pops because they want to score too. The game's won by the time all this is happening, this is just the team wanting to score goals because they're enjoying their football, and it's been a while since we had that at United.

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
Why did Martial play the entire game? better question why did he play the entire game giving everything he's got? he looked tired by the end, does this mean that he 100% won't start against Southampton?

buckooo1978

obviously there's the opposition to take into the account but in terms of attacking football that's the best we've played under Mourinho

lots of one touch stuff, pace, intelligent play and wonderful skill in that first half

did Martial et al suddenly feel a bit more liberated to express themselves against lower league opposition?

it led me to wonder about Rashford V Lukaku at number 9 in the future

in terms of link up play Lukaku isn't as good as Rashford

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Lindelof really struggled alot, in aspects of a simple pass and defending. Will take a good bit of time to gain confidence from Jose you'd think.

Shaw as well, looked completely gassed very quick. I know he is just back, but even Young who was out for a similar time frame looked reborn and full of energy - yet Shaw couldnt keep going for 45 against Burton. Hopefully he kicks the fitness back into gear going forward.

Front 3 were fantastic last night. Loads of movement and chances. Lovely to see. Martial especially.

SammyUnited_83

True. Mourinho will have some serious questions to answer after that pathetic performance.
Where did I say the performance was pathetic? I didn't.

I was criticising our defense (as others have done) as it was shite. Go back and watch the 1st half, a 2nd string Burton created plenty of chances and should have scored 2. The lads we had at the back, have all been 1st choice at some point, and Lindelof, whom, I expect was bought to be the main man with Bailly.

Against a better team, we would have been punished, it's hardly unreasonable to make that point. Yes, I accept that it wasn't our 'best' team, but it was hardly an accomplished (defensive) performance from the back 4, all of which are internationals.

Going forward we were great, and it was fantastic to watch, all of which I pointed out. But you can't ignore the fact that we conceded way too many chances to a very poor team.

Rusholme Ruffian

Shaw as well, looked completely gassed very quick. I know he is just back, but even Young who was out for a similar time frame looked reborn and full of energy - yet Shaw couldnt keep going for 45 against Burton. Hopefully he kicks the fitness back into gear going forward.
Good point. I wanted to say something about Shaw but didn't want to seem too harsh given his long lay off - but it's a really interesting comparison that you make with Young. He still looks and seems so heavy - for a young man it doesn't bode well.

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 64% of 808 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 526 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burton win
  • Draw