PL W FA Premier League

Cardiff City 1:5 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 22 December 2018

Tony247

Now Ole should sit lukaku out for few matches and let this team and style of play settle in. Transition him into the team carefully.

OttoH

Some game.
Of course it is Limited how much Solskjær can have changed things, but this is the way he wants to play (speaking as a Molde supporter). Cardiff not the biggest test. But they have been solid at home lately.

- Full backs keeping the Width far up the Field. Check.
- Central back (Lindelöf) who can play creative passes up. Check.
- Pass and move up front. Check.
- Wide forwards coming in and overloading in central areas. Check.

Some observations.
- Starts With the symbol of Mourinho-football (Matic), and decides to spend one of the substitutes to bring on Fellaini, also someone many says doesn't not have a Place in a "New Man Utd". Solskjær wants to bring everyone along. Matic is good in that role, so no big surprise. Bringing on Fellaini is an intelligent move in terms of man-management.
- Herrera could be useful going forward. Busy bee who covers lots of ground Box to box. Very useful in an attacking team.
- Perfect start not only in the result, but also in the number of players that got going (goals for Rashford, Martial, Lingard, assists and a good performance from Pogba, A New Coming for Lindelöf and Shaw. Appearences for Pereira and Fred).

Reactions: KM

Irrational.

Ole's post-match interview is also refreshing: no hanging players out to dry, no sly digs, no scowling, no shit attitude towards the interviewer.

What a difference a week makes.

Bobski

Don't think there should be a place for Lukaku moving forward. We need to explore the potential of that front 3, with Sanchez coming in at times. All can play across the front line, give us tremendous variation, ability to link off one another.

Lukaku hinders the fluidity that was so impressive tonight.

drdoityourself

Absolutely buzzing. My father called me at half time, he couldn't wait until the end. This means so much to have a team that has a positive outlook.
I forgot how a performance like this makes me feel.

ken11

Let's go on a good run the next 4 games to re-instill the fear of playing Man Utd again.

JeffBoomTetris

Inb4 LVG foundations...............

We scored 5 in a Premier League game last in SAF's final game as boss. 5-5 in the Hawthorne's. One of his disciples does it after what feels like an eternity.

Just goes to show what a positive, free thinking manager can do for an already talented team which has been shackled so heavily.

bdspeedy

This is the question that I'd like answered. In fact, I'd like Jose to answer it, because I am baffled.
Arguably one of the best manager in the World, struggled. Ole (nowhere near the best manager) comes along and scores 5 goals in his first match in charge. Jose could not score 5 in 2.5 years!

I'm completely baffled.
Pressure. From fans, press. I'm not excusing only guessing.

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
Enjoy your win; who knew that when you're allowed to actually try to play football you can get results?

Manchie

The Norwegian online newspaper said this day will be historic day for Norwegian football, and I have seen signs today that it will be historic day for United as well. Excellent from start to finish and hopefully they keep delivering this performance

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Anyone who said Mourinho needed more time or backing needs to have a long hard look at themselves after that.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Hearing Solskjaer gushing about the players post match is such a refreshing change.

BlueHaze

Couldn't believe what I was witnessing. I expected a positive response without a doubt but if you analyse that game it was the first time since Fergies retirement you could see we had a clear game plan. Did you for example notice how eager we were to win the ball back when losing it? Or how there was a lot of emphasis put in on finding the right passes?

Lads I am not going ahead of myself and I will wait longer before making an assessment but judging by this game we have gotten our club back and I'm fecking loving it. With Moyes, LVG, and Moyesinho it was hard to even see what their tactical approach was but with Ole it only took one game. I hope to god this continues now but you could definitely tell the players were actually enjoying themselves out there. Paul "The Computer Virus" MotM for me.

Happy Holidays to everyone, and stay safe. :):devil::D

JMack1234

Blimey.

Turns out we have some really talented attacking players.

Who'd of thunk it?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Managed by a former legend. Scintillating performance. Team full of young players and youth team graduates. Just so happy right now.

Siorac

Ole's post-match interview is also refreshing: no hanging players out to dry, no sly digs, no scowling, no shit attitude towards the interviewer.

Well, it would be bloody weird to criticise any of the players right now :lol:

mu4c_20le

To be fair he is mates with all of them :lol: he almost seemed a bit embarrassed when they said hi before askig their questions.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Well done to the lads and welcome Ole with his big grin and open heart. Very positive approach to the game, little flicks and one-twos all over the place. Everyone trying to show off their chops. Happily too, Santa brought some nice fixtures; a reasonably sweet schedule to get bedded in before tougher challenges start to arrive. Looks like an impressive backroom team now behind OGS too, good to have Carrick ... welcome back M. Phelan! Seeing him in the dugout ... yes, it was emotional.

Yes, Cardiff are in a dreadful state. Yes, there will be tougher challenges. But look at Chelsea and Man City... Look at us knocking in five. Looking forward to MOTD.

Stubble

The defensive shackles (i.e fear factor) were obviously removed by Ole and players that couldn't string 3 passes together all season show their real potential - surprise surprise...
It can only get better as the players get used to a new way of playing - the proof is there that we have skillful players perfectly capable of playing this way if allowed to - even the bleedin centre backs .
In the words of Admiral Isoroku Yamamo on the removal of Jose Mourihno....“I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.” .......

witchtrials

I really blame Gary fecking Neville for the delay, his passionate blast of the report swayed people who were about to pull the trigger.
Far be it from me to give the Glazer regime credit for anything, but I find it hard to believe that even our board would meet, agree to sack the manager and then the next day be sending panicked texts: "Abort! Abort! Gary Neville's upset with us!". The reason Mourinho wasn't sacked after Neville's rant was because there was no decision to sack him in the first place... which was an act of incompetence on its own, of course.

redshaw

Some fantastic passing today. Love those runs in and around the defenders.

Obviously we can't get carried away but there was a more attacking emphasis throughout the game. If we lose the ball we can get it back instead of sitting deep. We risked more and got the rewards. Even Jones has a nice volley. :)

Pogba is too skillful to be sitting deep. We saw that in Euro 2016 where he played deep and was wasted, strangely we copied it while Deschamps changed it after Euro 2016.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
It might have been Cardiff, but with Mourinho, we'd never have gotten close to that result today. We've played worse against weaker teams.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Good start. Now to keep up the same level of effort every game.

.Phil1968

Wow wow wow great performance lovely to see the lads so much more positive. I was actually dreading this fixture a few weeks ago, tonight I didn't want it to end.

saivet

Rooney basically confirming what we already knew that everyone was upset under Jose from players to staff

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Good level headed interview from Ole. Not getting ahead of himself even though he's pleased with the start.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 31% of 705 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 554 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Cardiff win
  • Draw