PL W FA Premier League

Cardiff City 1:5 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 22 December 2018

OttoH

Position and passing map. Now imagine us having a functional right side.
To be fair, I didn't think they did that bad. We should expect the left side to dominate, as long as Pogba is the focal point of our attacking game.

Josep Dowling

Position and passing map. Now imagine us having a functional right side.
I’ve been calling for a RW pretty much since Fergie retired. Can’t beleive it has been ignored for so long. It’s so clear when we attack forward everything is from the left hand side. Having a decent RW will create even more space for Martial, it would be amazing.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Has anyone got some links to Ole’s post match interview and the pundits opinions on BT sport?

Ta
Check the original post. Post match interview at the bottom.

The Real Treble 99

Fantastic performance something we’ve dearly missed. The whole team set up was brilliant with everyone giving their all. Big shout out for Lindelof, Jones yes Jones, Matic & Martial. Thought these guys were superb.

Didn’t matter if this was Cardiff, under Jose even this game it would’ve been a struggle. The players played with passion with no pressure & looked liked they thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

Everyone played their part. Clearly they’ve worked the Utd approach in training as the defence pressed much higher giving support to midfield who in turn could help the forward line. We were even 1st to the ball which made a huge difference. Great finishing all round especially the Martial move vintage Utd.

I personally think we can carry on like this. Yes it’s early days & yes there’s still Little improvements needed but I do think we can go on wining without fear & play without fear.
Thank you Ole & the team for putting a much needed smile back on our faces.

Josep Dowling

Seems pretty obvious that Mourinho isn’t one of the best managers in the world.
It’s a curious one because he left Real Madrid having fell out with everyone, sacked from Chelsea leaving them 17th, sacked from United leaving the club in a similar scenario as Real. His last 5 years he’s won the League, League cup and Europa League. It’s not exactly special.

Chelsea won the league when he left, Real went on to win 3 Champions League.

I think he’s identified some good players and hopefully we see the best from them now. His style of management doesn’t work for a club like United. I expect to see him back at one of the Milan clubs next season.

Ashley R1+O

Surprise surprise when this lot actually have a go and try they get the job done. Want to see more of it.

fps

Energy creates energy, they were excited to keep running in this match because they could actually attack and express themselves, how nice to see the players enjoying themselves on the pitch.

MrBest

Been saying for a while, we have a really good squad but Jose just took the souls from the players like a evil shadow. Best Christmas ever, am i unrealistic in expecting 5 goals against Huddersfield at home! Martial was incredible, MotM for me. Lingard was everywhere. Pogba started off making silly mistakes but quickly grew into the game, 3 assist from him, you cannot ask for more. Rashford was great as ever, Matic was great too .. his distribution was forward thinking ... Ander a perfect partner for Pogba and Matic. Lindeloff struggled defensively but bought the ball forward. Jones too was not the best but i think overall was much much better from them. Young hung around the halfway line, was he a winger! Shaw was solid too. So excited, hopefully max points against Huddersfield and Newcastle and bring on 2019!

Cockney Phil

He was excellent today.
Mind you everyone was on top of their game.
What I was encouraged by was seeing as going for the 6th goal in the dying minutes.

Those lads who traveled all that way down.
They came to see football like this.
The fan cams are expressing some real joy at last - the away fans deserve it, they kept our spirits alive at some pretty dire performances.

Guoan

Supports
Beijing Guoan
What a wonderful scoreline to wake up to.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Even though we beat Fulham 4-1, it still didn't feel like a hammering and I was still left a little flat. Today though was completely different. Rather than the usual 45 minutes of football we were at these feckers from start to finish. You can't beat racking up goals from the first to the last minutes. No Smalling, Fellaini or Lukaku to stink the place out either.

Absolutely brilliant. Can't wait for MOTD and the replay on MUTV. :D

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We might still not make top 4, but the fight is very much on and I wouldn't be surprised if we made it. We still have to play Arsenal and Chelsea too.
Well of course. I’ve been arguing all week with those who have said we should begin taking an a relaxed approach on the basis that there’s nothing at stake this season.

I’m no fool, the odds are obviously against us. But no way am I giving up making up two places in the table in December. Yes, the gap is (was 11 points), but that could be 6 or 7 come 01 January for all we know. Definitely not if we give up anyway.

Joseunited

No easy games in the Premier League anymore, that was a proper old school thrashing,not happy with 2/3 goals, wanting more right till the very end, proper Manchester United football.
2 winnable games up next, we could go into the second half of the season around 5 points off top 4!!Game on.

Eric's Seagull

No easy games in the Premier League anymore, that was a proper old school thrashing,not happy with 2/3 goals, wanting more right till the very end, proper Manchester United football.
2 winnable games up next, we could go into the second half of the season around 5 points off top 4!!Game on.
Good chance of winning 6 out of the next 7 in the league mate

Toad

Amazing watch. Not going to read too much into it at the moment, let’s see how the Christmas period goes but good signs just from one game. Best game of the season so far as well.

AndyMUFC

Easy to get carried away, but that was like night and day. Ace performance. Yes we should be beating Cardiff but we've been struggling against these teams for the past few years now, so it was nice to put one to the sword so convincingly.

It's obvious the players strengths are going forward, and I think Mourinho really made a mistake there. He never had the players to do is style justice and that is a big reason it failed. We're not great defensively but if we dominate the ball and score goals, that won't matter because our players are better than most sides in the league. You see that with City.

The front four of Pogba, Martial, Lingard and Rashford were the obvious standouts but I was proper impressed with Lindelof and Matic too, because they were the ones starting attacks from defensive positions and they've not been doing that at all.

Can't wait for the reception Ole gets on Boxing Day now.

GM K

Sadly, I missed the game unavoidably but absolutely delighted with the result and from what everyone is saying, the way we played. Fantastic!!

freddie the red

First time I've actually enjoyed watching United play in ages. Even games like the 2-1 in Turin were just so painful to watch.
I ain't getting carried away but it's a fantastic start for Ole.
There'll be difficult days ahead but because we have a club legend at the helm, albeit for a short while, he'll be given some slack.
I don't think the season is a write off like some others, we've got plenty to play for and even the 4th spot gap has had a big chunk taken out of it in just one day.
We absolutely can make further inroads into that and win the FA Cup and, given a good run over the next couple of months, there's no reason why we couldn't give PSG a fright.
Results aside, I'd be happy with entertaining football until the end of the season.....just like today!

Reactions: SteveJ

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Well of course. I’ve been arguing all week with those who have said we should begin taking an a relaxed approach on the basis that there’s nothing at stake this season.

I’m no fool, the odds are obviously against us. But no way am I giving up making up two places in the table in December. Yes, the gap is (was 11 points), but that could be 6 or 7 come 01 January for all we know. Definitely not if we give up anyway.
I argued for abit but gave up after seeing some of the responses. There's plenty of games to play yet and I'm very optimistic about our chances.

eggwithsideburns

The thing I liked the best about today is when after we conceded we went straight back at them looking for another goal, just like how is used to be. We would have played scared and defended with our wingers sitting as full backs if it was Jose in charge.

lex talionis

A phenomenal debut managerial masterclass.

What if Ole had been at the helm for United against Liverpool? Could we have stolen glorious triumph at Anfield?

Heymrtangerineman

Delighted for all of us. Delighted for Ole.

Not 100% sure what impact Ole had other than NOT being Jose.

I was delighted when Jose arrived as I thought he would guarantee our swagger coming back and trophies.

BUT he became toxic (as many warned he would) and today the players just looked so happy they could finally express themselves.

Maybe a bit OTT but it was a though their 'abuser' had gone.

Devil may care

Like with Fulham we battered a poor side, but we did it away from home and the manner of the play was different, for starters we played on the front foot for 90 minutes instead of just part of the first half, and the movement, the fluidity, the way we flooded the box, the interchanges, the flair, it was just a breath of fresh air, couldn't have asked for a better start to Ole's run,

Fetshu

One of the things that I absolutely loved today, which Ole mentioned during the post-match presser aswell, was the fact that even if someone lost the ball, they instantly worked to win it back and we managed to win back so many balls that way.

There's not much more to add, since everything has been said already, but god damn am I excited to watch us play again, because sadly, it's been a chore of late.
Wednesday can't come soon enough. :drool:

Reactions: Penna

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Personally, I'm lovin' Ole's half-Norwegian/half-Manc accent.

The Manc half is becoming more prominent by the minute.

Last edited:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That's the kind of thing that happens when you come home.
Indeed.

I've been working away in London for the last five years (home for weekends) and people have noticed slight changes in my accent and vocabulary - yes rather than aye or nothing rather than nowt - I say bollox to them!

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 31% of 705 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 554 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Cardiff win
  • Draw