PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:2 Cardiff City

Post-match discussion

Sun, 12 May 2019

fps

And the ones that didn't play? Did they do well? Don't understand that quote
Well yes, that too. My main concern is that the ones who played didn't do well at all, because they didn't win at home against a relegated team. I'm not really interested in Ole handing out effort badges, this isn't a mixed ability Saturday morning youth team.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We celebrated in Paris as if we'd won something - and stopped playing thereafter. Two points out of the last 15 available. Disgusted
That's relegation form.
Has the season lasted another 10 games, I'm pretty sure we'd have dropped to around 10th.
Many people are hopeful for next season. IMO, next season will be worse than the Moyes season and fans are not speaking enough about this.

If you have a bad season, sometimes you need to shrug your shoulders and expect/plan better next season. But IMO, we are entering next season knowing that we are f***ed. And until we rid Woodward of footballing duties (ie. DoF), our club will continue to struggle in this fashion.
The players and manager are getting a lot of flack, but Woodward is getting off scott-free. Even if sold our entire squad and brought in a new one, we'd still struggle, while Woodward is our DoF. Our DoF only cars about making and saving money - he cares little about on-pitch performances.

Remove Woodward from footballing duties, hire a DoF who understands football, allow Ole to manage (he'll probably get fired in 2019 as he simply isn't good enough), then bring in a new manager either in Jan 2020 or Summer 2020, to work closely with the new manager, with a long term plan.

I am going to create a new thread which is going to chart all the ridiculous decisions Woodward has made and is continuing to make.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Just the fact that he is smiling in the thumbnail pisses me off. First 3 points you've ever got Cardiff there Ole?
I think Ole accepted that this team is incapable of beating relegated teams. So when we played Huddersfield and Cardiff and failed to win, he was quite relaxed about it.
The problem is that he thinks that a miracle is going to take place in the Summer...and it isn't.
The performances have seen in the last few months will continue into next season. He would need a turn around of epic proportions to make top 6 next season

NJM78

Ole is looking far too relaxed to me after game. Maybe we have signings secured already that will make a huge difference or I’m just dreaming that this club could actually be so efficient.
I’m so confused by everything at the club. I hope Ole isn’t the yes man I feared when he first arrived.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think Ole accepted that this team is incapable of beating relegated teams. So when we played Huddersfield and Cardiff and failed to win, he was quite relaxed about it.
The problem is that he thinks that a miracle is going to take place in the Summer...and it isn't.
The performances have seen in the last few months will continue into next season. He would need a turn around of epic proportions to make top 6 next season
Chelsea went from 10th to 1st in 1 season, although they had Hazard, Kante & Diego Costa, and we.. well.. we don't...

Member 101269

since there are many legacy issues among the playing staff I don’t blame Oli for the mess. I’m realistic, yet not contemplating that mediocrity is acceptable, that in renewing my season tickets I’ll have to be patient. I want a sound base of workers, guys willing to bleed red to win.

I don’t want apologists..

freddie the red

Two positives from today, the season's over and the dippers put another year on their record of not being champions for what will now be a minimum of 3 decades.....yes, 30 years since the vermin were champions and they've NEVER been PL Champions.:lol::lol:
Beyond that, I didn't see the game today and won't be watching a replay or any, ahem, "highlights".
Serious, serious changes need to be made and although Ole still has my support he needs to reflect on what's been going on since Paris and be prepared to cut a whole lot of dead wood from this squad, the vast majority of whom are either not good enough, past it or couldn't care less about their performances on the pitch.
If Ole sees what needs to be done but finds himself hamstrung from above and unable to do what's necessary then, IMHO, he should walk before they get him the sack.
Yes, it's much easier to sack one manager than to get rid of a whole swathe of players but the board really need to see it's time for a complete rebuild and back Ole to the hilt.
I'd like to see players like Harvey Barnes, David Brooks and Aaron Wan-Bissaka come in, young, hungry, skillful players who already have PL experience, rather than more no marks from abroad. Ain't gonna list who should go, we all know who they are and if I list them I'll lose the will to live.
COYS!!

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
Ole is looking far too relaxed to me after game. Maybe we have signings secured already that will make a huge difference or I’m just dreaming that this club could actually be so efficient.
I’m so confused by everything at the club. I hope Ole isn’t the yes man I feared when he first arrived.
One of my biggest worries when he was just given the caretaker job was this.

Canagel

Because we have no plan in our play, the coaching is clearly substandard otherwise players would have better knowledge of how to move positionally, what runs to look out for how to transition defending and attacking. The players aren't the greatest but they are not mentally incapable of understanding instruction.

Not one fan knows the ethos that Ole is offering us long term, what his vision for the team is how to plans to implement a system. He's shown he cannot turn bad results around, these are the best players Ole has managed in his entire career so how does buying better individuals differentiate his capabilities as a manager ? Madrid have the best squad in world football and two successive managers have failed miserably to not only motivate but tactically give them the edge.

We have been outplayed by West ham, battered by Everton, walked off the park to a draw against Huddersfield and commonly the managers for these teams have also been new appointments.

Ole is finished no one can provide compelling evidence that the club should have faith in him, because he doesn't offer us a platform for improvement he's got even less credentials than Moyes, yet people say Van Gaal nor Mourinho were not good enough.
This.

The sell them all claims is not realistic. We're not wasting another 2/3 years rebuilding and changing 15 players and then demanding Ole to show his style of play. Who knows where it could lead us to. Players is mediocre and Ole is fast becoming a problem too otherwise it's not logical to get worse the more time he had spent here.
Why is it coaches like Hasenhutl and Rodgers have already instilled their methods in midtable clubs in similar or less period without adding 4 new players and Ole is getting an excuse for struggling to score past relegated teams and needs 300 million pound to do so?

Waynne

You only fix United by burning down the house and restarting new.
From top to bottom needs restructuring.
Employ director of football that wants the best attacking football using modern day football philosophies and then and only then do we start hiring the appropriate staff to carry out this vision.
Until such time, this club will keep falling and hitting every shitehole on the way down.
Next season is going to be worse. Prepare yourselves mentally.

Alabaster Codify7

Disgusting. Ole is Moyes. Happy to be there,not talented enough to succeed. Gone by Christmas. we're finishing10th next season,anything higher will need 300m or similar and Ole doesn't have the pedigree or ego to demand that and be granted it. He's the school geek who has netted the hottest bird in class.....she can cheat on him five Times a week......he'll film it and still pay her credit card bills.
we're done. Completely done.

kundalini

Despite losing the match, I thought there were some encouraging signs, especially Greenwood's performance. Andreas Pereira also did well initially, though seemed to fade after a while.

Clearly we need to rebuild. Hopefully we can avoid repeating some of the brain dead decisions the club has made over recent years.

My biggest concern is that Solskjaer will be caught between the style of play he wants to play, and accommodating the capabilities of the star names in the current squad. Pre-season fitness training will likely improve physical condition somewhat but quite a few of the regular starters in the squad seem a very poor match for a more intense playing style.

I should state that I don't believe we need to spend a lot of money in order to improve. I think we have the basis of a decent team, provided a few players improve on their performances this season. Lindelof being a good example of a player making a slow start, then looking a fine player for much of their 2nd season.

Anyway, I will wait and see what happens over the summer.

Last edited:

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I remember telling someone on here that our last two games weren't guaranteed wins. He almost felt offended that I'd say that.

We then took 1 point from 6 against relegated teams.

The people I feel pity for the most now are those convincing themselves that a big Summer of signings will fix us. I genuinely think that the players coming in will be worse than the players that will leave. It's just that kind of market.

Cockney Phil

We staggered over the finishing line like a marathon runner. The squad looked exhausted, the manager was all but wiped during the game and in the presser. The fans were initially muted then it boiled over with protest chants that ended with abuse hurled at Pogba. Sad that 2 great servants of the club had to say goodbye in such crap circumstances.

This season has done me in, I found myself laughing the last 15 minutes like you would in a B-Horror Movie. I gave Greenwood MoTM and the rest got ‘1’ each. If we depend on players like Greenwood at one end of the scale and Pogba at the other I fear we’re in for a mid-table or near relegation battle next season. Watching Carrick and Ole with heads in their hands tells me they actually set a plan to win and it wasn’t the exhibition match that they hope it might appear. If that’s the case then we really are in deep shite because we failed in tactics, quality, leadership, strategy and energy. We have no spine and the players are spineless.

There was déjà vu, not with the season we were relegated but the season before. A really horrible season - mid-season management change, goodbye to the legends, hope in young players, bad buys, and a torrid collapse to 18th in the league - we just survived. The following season we collapsed and were relegated. After this match against Cardiff I am deeply concerned for next season - we’re in a very serious crisis and don't have the necessary means to escape.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Have the Glazers buggered off yet? The restucture under a new owner would be root to branch. Keep the pictures of Matt Busby and his team; the rest, including Ferguson, can feck right off.

OldRed1

Despite losing the match, I thought there were some encouraging signs, especially Greenwood's performance. Andreas Pereira also did well initially, though seemed to fade after a while.

Clearly we need to rebuild. Hopefully we can avoid repeating some of the brain dead decisions the club has made over recent years.

My biggest concern is that Solskjaer will be caught between the style of play he wants to play, and accommodating the capabilities of the star names in the current squad. Pre-season fitness training will likely improve physical condition somewhat but quite a few of the regular starters in the squad seem a very poor match for a more intense playing style.

I should state that I don't believe we need to spend a lot of money in order to improve. I think we have the basis of a decent team, provided a few players improve on their performances this season. Lindelof being a good example of a player making a slow start, then looking a fine player for much of their 2nd season.

Anyway, I will wait and see what happens over the summer.

Sensible post.I agree with what you've written. I thought Dalot was pretty good early on until the rediculous penalty decision, and Gomes looked at home in the side. If we can get a couple of loanees back and sign 4 or 5 good youngsters we may get together a reasonable side.

diarm

I know this will get lost in the comments, but mark my words - we wont finish above 9th place next season.
Lost in the comments?

Did I take a wrong turn and end up on Reddit by mistake?

Biffo666

Supports
Oldham Athletic
Manager says best thing is that season is over and next year want to challenge for 3rd 4th or 5th place, nothing like high aspirations or expectations eh ? Ffs

Melville Red

Extremely worrying. I think I'd be happy if Ole resigned and kept dignity rather than lead us next season after spending a couple of hundred million pounds. Cardiff at home after the run we've had? It's truly concerning when we can't even score in such a game.

I'm really not sure though. I'm desperate for him to succeed.
You mean that old chestnut “left by mutual agreement”.

I’m confused now. I think any other manager going into the close season with the run Ole has had would be sacked this morning, (see Brighton), however we have just handed him a three year contract.
We owe it to him too see if he has it in him to actually get rid of this lot. Has he the balls to do that, ie get rid of several of those players? Will he backed?
Unfortunately I think the answer to both those questions is no.
If we do manage to get rid of the shite and the poison and he gets what he wants before kick off next season then I’d be overjoyed and excited for the new season. If it goes to ratshit and we are playing crap and look like we are struggling for 6th then I’m sorry he should then go but we really have to give him a chance, and a decent chance, with his players and not this lot masquerading as United players.

Maticmaker

What a poor end to a season, Greenwood perhaps the only hope?

We were not just 'out of sorts', but very poor; in spirit, in possession, out of possession, in defence , in attack, in the mid-field, we still keep taking the same useless aimless corners, at free kicks we still look as though no one knows what they are doing, we still don't know how to make use of the 'no offside rule' from throw ins in the opponents final third, we are definitely going backwards.

Ole has a massive job on his hands, which I hope he can do, but I am still not sure out of the Ole, Phelan, Carrick , McKenna, quartet who the 'kick-arse' one is...have we got one?

Player Ratings

3.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 300 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Cardiff win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:0 Cardiff
  • 13% Man Utd 3:0 Cardiff