PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:2 Cardiff City

Post-match discussion

Sun, 12 May 2019

The Real Treble 99

Not watched the game as I couldn’t but to be honest it’s a blessing.
To lose to a relegated team at home on the last day of the season is absolutely disgraceful.
Nothing more I want to say.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
fecking hell are they actually going on a lap of honour?

The fecking cheek of these cnuts :lol:
I haven't even bothered putting MUTV on. People were saying earlier that the Stretford End were happily Ole Ole Ole at the end. If Ole is here, then he has to get rid of Jones, Smalling, Young, Lingard, Lukaku, Matic, Mata, Bailly, Rojo, Darmian, Pereira they just aren't good enough. We won't though. It will be the foreigners who go and it will be the good old brits who lose him his job.

Al-T

Season is over and the dippers didn't win the league. Other than that, nothing to be cheerful about.

The most dislikable squad in my memory and I hope not to see the majority of them in a United shirt ever again.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
A fitting conclusion to the season.
Aye. I've seen some poor last day performances from all kinds of teams when there's nothing riding on it but that has to be the very worst. If some of our players are looking for moves away they haven't exactly sold themselves with that hideous display.

GM K

Not good enough in every department off the field and on it. OGS will not have enough time to rebuild this shower of s*** and will be sacked by Christmas. Overpaid prima donnas who do not belong at UTD and need to go this will take time !!!

I think a lot hangs on the board really. Ole needs to be given full charge. Let him sell anyone he wants to sell and buy whoever he wants to buy. And let the players know who is the boss.

If they are not ready to do this, they had better fire him now because you will be absolutely correct.

nesty

Didn't even bother to watch the match. Massively pleased I didnt.

We are an absolute shambles top to bottom. Nothing will change unless the blood sucking leeches at the top of the club are gone. I am massively worried we won't get the intended signings and end up fielding a first 11 still backing the likes of Jones, Smalling and Ashley fecking Young come the start of the season.

I genuinely believe we will continue the same form and evitably float around 6-10th on the table. At which point, Ole will fail to endure the pressure and either walk or be sacked.

Bleak future ahead my friends. Feck football. Feck the glazers. Feck Jones.

Feck.

Bestofthebest

We need to accept that we are a club with a great history but a doubtful future. No matter who the manager is or who the players are. The real leadership of the club are so far removed from the realities of modern day football that they continue to make poor decisions without so much as a backward glance. Whilst this situation continues the club can never progress.

Twisted Nerve

If things don't improve quickly, Ole will be gone by Christmas. We really are turning into the new Man City, new manager every couple of seasons. Can we beat Liverpool and go 30 years without a league win?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
A performance that screams no real game plan and hoping that a decent player will convert some shots. No good chances created.

RedDevilRoshi

In all honesty, I’m genuinely not surprised with today’s result.

This whole team is a filthy disgrace!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He has to get rid of the players he has so much faith in starting with Young and Jones. Smalling can stay as a back up.
Darmian, Rojo to go. Matic to go etc.

The 'brits' are gonna get him the sack. They are not leaders and not talented. Then he needs to hire the best back room staff. Improve the fitness and sport science department.

Get a system and have the players organised, knowing what the feck they should be doing out on the pitch. It's not enough to just be fit. The technical and tactical aspects need to be addressed as well.

If we don't get the behind the scenes structure right, it won't matter which players we get.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Credit to all involved - every week I think we’ve hit rock bottom, and every week they find another level for us to sink to. Impressive.

Shark

@NotShark
I think a lot hangs on the board really. Ole needs to be given full charge. Let him sell anyone he wants to sell and buy whoever he wants to buy. And let the players know who is the boss.

If they are not ready to do this, they had better fire him now because you will be absolutely correct.
Yes, let’s put blind faith into a man that looks utterly out of his depth in every aspect. A man that’s allowed his team to get humiliated 0-2 at home to Cardiff on the final day. I’m sure he’s given his mates Rashy, Lingard and Youngy a good tap on the wrist.

DomesticTadpole

I am worried that Ole thinks after a summer break this lot are going to turn into Maldini, Messi, Zidane and co. It isn't just about attitude, it is that they are not good enough.

17:36
Solskjaer: 'The work starts now'
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says United’s players will have to come back with a different mentality and attitude next season.

“Today was not the problem, you can have all the possession and chances you want but we concede easy goals and not score at the other. That is not where our challenge lies, we have a long and hard way to be where we want to be.

“Mason Greenwood was brilliant, he was our best player by a mile and that says a lot about the kid. He came into the team with a lack of confidence and you can see that has take a total. Not surprised by his performance, we know he is capable of that.

“It will take some time to close in on the top, we finished five or six points behind third, fourth, fifth and that has to be our aim. The top two teams have set a standard higher than before and we have to take up the next challenge.

“The work starts now, everyone has the summer off but we have to come back with a different mentality and different attitude of being a Man United team.

“The ones who played, did well but it was not good enough.”

DomesticTadpole

He has to get rid of the players he has so much faith in starting with Young and Jones. Smalling can stay as a back up.
Darmian, Rojo to go. Matic to go etc.

The 'brits' are gonna get him the sack. They are not leaders and not talented. Then he needs to hire the best back room staff. Improve the fitness and sport science department.

Get a system and have the players organised, knowing what the feck they should be doing out on the pitch. It's not enough to just be fit. The technical and tactical aspects need to be addressed as well.

If we don't get the behind the scenes structure right, it won't matter which players we get.
I agree about Smalling. We have a squad of bench warmers. They really should just stick a pin in the club and start again.

UnitedChampionsAgain

These players have shamed our club for too long. Without a massive clearout, next season will be a relegation battle from start to finish, it's that bad! Who will want them though and who will want to come to us?

Last edited:

GM K

Yes, let’s put blind faith into a man that looks utterly out of his depth in every aspect. A man that’s allowed his team to get humiliated 0-2 at home to Cardiff on the final day. I’m sure he’s given his mates Rashy, Lingard and Youngy a good tap on the wrist.
I have never believed managers should take the blame for every shitty (or brilliant) performance. What did Ole do wrong today? In fact, Cardiff have been so poor that even if Ole made poor managerial decisions, we should have whipped them at home. There is a time when we must look beyond the manager.

Joseunited

I am worried that Ole thinks after a summer break this lot are going to turn into Maldini, Messi, Zidane and co. It isn't just about attitude, it is that they are not good enough.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says United’s players will have to come back with a different mentality and attitude next season.

“Today was not the problem, you can have all the possession and chances you want but we concede easy goals and not score at the other. That is not where our challenge lies, we have a long and hard way to be where we want to be.

“Mason Greenwood was brilliant, he was our best player by a mile and that says a lot about the kid. He came into the team with a lack of confidence and you can see that has take a total. Not surprised by his performance, we know he is capable of that.

“It will take some time to close in on the top, we finished five or six points behind third, fourth, fifth and that has to be our aim. The top two teams have set a standard higher than before and we have to take up the next challenge.

“The work starts now, everyone has the summer off but we have to come back with a different mentality and different attitude of being a Man United team.

Cue meltdown mayhem.

GM K

Mason Greenwood was brilliant, he was our best player by a mile and that says a lot about the kid. He came into the team with a lack of confidence and you can see that has take a total. Not surprised by his performance, we know he is capable of that.

Hmnnn. I'm wondering if that was a smart thing to say.

Luke1995

Yep... Another situation where some people decided that it was all his fault instead of looking at the bigger problems with the squad at the time. People are doing the same thing with Paul Pogba now. Why people do this, I don't know.
Just because it's easier to put the blame on one person than to acknowledge the level of the club's decline. We are in danger of dropping out of european competitions for a few seasons altogether and becoming literally a mid table club.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Didn't see the game as was travelling but did they do a lap of the pitch and manager speech etc. at the end?

DomesticTadpole

Hmnnn. I'm wondering if that was a smart thing to say.
The mood United fans are in at the moment, probably not. Every team in the Top 6 bar us with a final to look forward to. All we will have is our players posting holiday pics on instagram.

fps

The ones who played, did well but it was not good enough.” scares me senseless, if I'm honest.

SCJY

This is a comment out of left-field, but it seems to me as though marketing and social media is having a serious negative impact on society and that includes the players of United.

Any random person from the public can potentially have a following of hundreds of thousands or even millions today. Social media is addictive and the endorphins being released from likes and notifications is apparently more addictive than crack. United players like Pogba and Lingard are basically competing with millions of popular randos on social media and game streamers or whatever. This was never the case in the past generations... Millions of children maybe idolise someone like Ninja, PewdiePie or a Logan Paul far more than someone like a Jessie Lingard. Whereas in the past, this would not have been the case whatsoever. To play for United, you would have been like a king.

My point is: United place so much emphasis on image and marketing deals, this could potentially be transferring over to the psyche of the players. And with United no longer being the top dogs, I'm sure those players who care about their personal following and personal brand are really sick of playing for this team.

I don't know if I'm getting my thoughts across clearly enough and it may be something of a giant assumptive leap... I don't do social media much myself anymore and don't follow any of the players, but just looking at the affect social media has had on my own social group and the people around me, I have no doubt it's affecting the players too... they are human after all.

When Lukaku launches his own aftershave, and Lingard has his own clothes line, there has to be something wrong. Their heads are not in the game anymore.

What's the solution, if this is really a problem? I have no damn idea. The impact of social media on the human psyche have yet to be fully explored and it's still a relatively new phenomenon. Perhaps the next generation of players are contractually obliged to not have personal social media accounts? I think that might be a start. Mobile phone addiction is a very real thing. We see it all around us. Sometimes I wonder if some of the players are wondering if they got a text back from some instagram model instead of being concerned about being 2-0 down, at home to relegation fodder.

There is something obviously very wrong with the psyche of the team and it must be coming from somewhere.

I don't know if it's a director of football United need more or whether it's a world class sports psychologist, with some sweeping policy changes regarding players and their media exposure.

In my mind, all marketing, endorsement and social media presence should be managed directly by the club, or at least heavily monitored. I'd go as far as banning personal social media accounts as well.

This is all very orwellian and overly controlling, I'm aware of that. And I don't understand the legalities or implementing something like that, but fecking hell. Something needs to be done to regain a siege mentality in the team.

Sorry for the rant and the crazy theory. It was just a thought that I've been having for a while now.

Player Ratings

3.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 300 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Cardiff win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:0 Cardiff
  • 13% Man Utd 3:0 Cardiff