EL W Europa League Semi-final 1st Leg

Celta Vigo 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 04 May 2017

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Quality performances all over the pitch, just our finishing let us down as it has all season. Still we got the away goal and didn't concede ourselves, we've got to be happy with that

Pogba was a beast tonight, really showed his class and physical presence.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Should be 2-0 to us. A 1-0 is a precarious position because one flukey goal from them and it cancels it out.

Still though good win. Should have scored more though.
If we can't protect a goal lead, at home... etc.

I think we're probably going to win this silly tournament.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Should've put it to bed tonight. Score first next week and I'll be comfortable.

Son Of Sam

Of course I do. We're not losing against Celta at home.
If this is what Celta have to offer, I am not scared at all. Our last 3 opponents in this competition gave us a bigger scare. There's no way we are losing to this shit at OT. But for poor finishing, we should have won 3-0.

King Eric 7

We've had tougher EL games earlier in the competition. Thought this would be difficult but we strolled it.

Hellboy

If you compare Lingard to Mkhitaryan today, then you don't know much about football. Lingards finishing wasn't good enough, but he could have scored 3 goals today. He is probably the smartest footballer in our side - noone even comes close to find these positions as well as he does.
Smartest, good movement, blablabla ...

1 assist 3 goals this season.

= SHIT !

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
So obvious. The only player in our team who can keep the ball under pressure. So important to link everybody together.
Aye, looked like the player we spent that fortune on. If he can do that more often against better opposition we'll be happy chappies.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I can't say I have seen a manager get games tactically spot on as much as he does, so interesting to see it play out.
Noggie commentators had a interesting point about how he mirrors the tactic of the opponent, essentially nullifying them.

Celta commentator also commented on it pre match how you never know which United side you met since they change game from game and half to half.

manunited1919

So lets get Mata & Phil "Toe" Jones back into the team vs Arsenal, plus give the kids some game time. We need to rest players now for Europa League. This tie still has lots to play for. We are unable to kill off any team.

edgecutter

Good professional performance, but still feel that we should have pushed for a second.

Lingard needs a serious kick up the backside, two sitters land perfectly for him and he fluffs them.

Eddy_JukeZ

Should have won by 2 at least.

Good enough performance. Still missing that killer instinct and more quality at times.

It's in our hands.

edcunited1878

Mourinho as usual got it spot on, our initial high pressure caught them off guard and they never got into the match.
Bingo. Physically, Pogba and Felliani were too much and Celta seemed to back down from them. Ander was very disciplined and helped keep Celta out wide.

stepic

send Lingard to Everton like Gibson and Cleverley before him. he's no better than those two.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Why wouldn't we have anyway, given the Europa is our best chance for CL?
Well because if we had taken our chances or didn't sit off them so much after the goal we could have played a full strength team on Sunday and then rested a few in the next leg to prepare for Tottenham, I don't know about you but I want to win those games and give ourselves a chance of top four as well. Denying Liverpool or City the CL would be a great bonus to the end of the season.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
If this is what Celta have to offer, I am not scared at all. Our last 3 opponents in this competition gave us a bigger scare. There's no way we are losing to this shit at OT. But for poor finishing, we should have won 3-0.

Aye exactly. People made Celta out to be some sort of super Biesla disciples. They're fecking woeful.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ok, so we're happy today right?

Why the feck were we wasting time with only 1-0 up? It's not Barcelona we're playing!!

Too wasteful (shock horror?!). Tie far from over, cause, well.. we're not gonna score at Old Trafford.
Maybe not then...

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Deserved to win by 3 or 4. They were actually one of the worst teams we've played this season. I'd have snapped your hand off for this result though.
Do you really 'deserve' something when your finishing is mostly shit?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Not gonna pretend there was much good about it other than the away win. Will take it

edgecutter

If you compare Lingard to Mkhitaryan today, then you don't know much about football. Lingards finishing wasn't good enough, but he could have scored 3 goals today. He is probably the smartest footballer in our side - noone even comes close to find these positions as well as he does.
Lingard isn't good enough if we are to push for the league next year and tonight showed it again. He offers very little in the final third and that has been common all season.

SalfordRed1960

We look quite good when we start on the front foot and attack. Pity we don't do it more often. Pretty much in the final now, I don't see how they will trouble us.

Some good performances.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They really were a bit shite, after resting 8 players and being at home with all that atmosphere. Our pitchy patchy side did them over and should have had 4 goals at least.
They seemed especially poor after all the hype they'd received regarding their wins over Barca/Madrid, I think some people got a bit carried away with it.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Disappointing we didn't win at least 2-0.

Still winning the first leg away from home in any European tie is a good result.

Infra-red

Mixed night really. The result is good, but, in the context of the game, we can be disappointed that it's not much more emphatic. Looks like another two injuries (Young & Rashford), neither of which we can really afford if we want to rest players for the second leg. Delighted to have Pogba back.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 56% of 683 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 514 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Celta Vigo win
  • Draw