PL L FA Premier League

Chelsea 4:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 23 October 2016

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
How many players has Jose managed to throw under the bus in his post game interview? The way the Chelsea players played today kind of makes me think they enjoyed every minute of doling out retribution for last season.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Jose post match comments:

- Was all downhill after conceding in the first minute.
- Told players to take risks in the second half
- United undone by the counter-attack and "incredible defensive mistakes" alongside "individual defensive mistakes"
- Doesn't want to speak about David Luiz incident
- Losing 1-0 or 4-0 is the same
- United need to pick up points and win several matches
- Was not expecting anything from the crowd
- Didn't want to reveal what he said to Conte at the end
Fair enough comments I guess. At least he hasn't blamed the ref

pascell

Crazy that we've lost 3 games already, yet only 6 points off top. Saying that it'll get worse before it gets better, the players are obviously not used to playing the Mourinho system yet and it'll be some point near Christmas before we see it bear fruition.

Hopefully the Bailly injury isn't too bad

Al-T

I'm a grown man in his late 30's. I shouldn't get annoyed or angry watchin football but feck me I'm furious right now. What the feck was that?!
I'm a grown man in his fifties and I'm feckin blazing after watching that. Utter gash. Gary Neville or Roy Keane wouldn't be smiling and swapping shirts, they'd be preparing to blow a fuse big time.

Flames73

We're cursed eh?

And players smiling and stuff after the match to me is unacceptable. Get in the locker room, get back to training, and win some games already.

In Rainbows

Jose said they went with offensive approach, not parking bus.
There would be no point in playing Fellaini over Carrick as the latter is a much better passer who compliments Herrera and Pogba more.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'm a grown man in his fifties and I'm feckin blazing after watching that. Utter gash. Gary Neville or Roy Keane wouldn't be smiling and swapping shirts, they'd be preparing to blow a fuse big time.
Wait what? WHo swapped shirts? I didn't have the stomach to watch the final 5 minutes of the Chelsea players show boating.

togg

There seems to be something far more wrong at United than just the team. Feels like when Ferguson left the management role he not only took his physical self away, but the clubs soul as well!

If Jose can't steer us clear of this malaise then I really don't know who else there is really. We really need to give him time. There is no doubt, in his mind, he's watch players and thought 'nah, not good enough now'. It's no good doing that in pre-season, you can only really assess a players ability, mentally and skill-set in competitive matches. If he can't and fails, then I suspect we could be in for a long period of mediocrity.

It will be interesting to hear what he has to say, but that was a very poor performance generally.

Giggs86

Most disappointing performance of the season so far.
Well that's an understatement. I honestly can't recall any other time we lost by 4 goals in recent memory except for that city game and the 5-0 vs. Chelsea back in 1999.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Apart from the obvious, i.e player performances, The problem I feel with these Mou tactics is that there is no way back if you go behind. Our starting lineup was such that we would have needed Mata and Martial in to recover and by the time they came, they were comfortably leading 2-0.
Another problem was his substitutions. I felt Pog was worse than Fellaini and should have been subbed.
Everyone has seen that Cahill doesn't have the greatest composure. Get rashford to run at him and force him to make a mistake.

DevilRed

There seems to be something far more wrong at United than just the team. Feels like when Ferguson left the management role he not only took his physical self away, but the clubs soul as well!

If Jose can't steer us clear of this malaise then I really don't know who else there is really. We really need to give him time. There is no doubt, in his mind, he's watch players and thought 'nah, not good enough now'. It's no good doing that in pre-season, you can only really assess a players ability, mentally and skill-set in competitive matches. If he can't and fails, then I suspect we could be in for a long period of mediocrity.

It will be interesting to hear what he has to say, but that was a very poor performance generally.
Honestly I would give Jose at least 3 years. We just need to get that bit of luck and get on a winning run.

This match might be the final straw for the likes of fellaini so thats the silver lining.

RedDevil-85

fecking piss poor performance and tactics.Crushed and humiliated.
Fellaini the fecking donkey should never start a game again.
Zlatan is missing way too many and easy chances,should be dropped.
We dont stand a chance of winning the title and just getting into top 4 will be a huge struggle for us ths season.

Congrats to Chelsea,very well deserved victory

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I don't get the tactics of that first half. It looked liked when we had the ball we played with 4-3-3 but had Lingard and Rashford in midfield alongside Herrera and Fellaini/Pogba upfront with Zlatan. In a 4-3-3.

For one, that resulted in Rashford being used in the wrong area of the pitch and popping up at LB. But we were totally mismatched in the middle and they were cutting us open with ease. Herrera simply doesn't have the defensive instinct to play that role. Yet when Chelsea had the ball we asked Pogba and Fellaini to drop deep and fall back into midfield. But the problem then is that we isolated Zlatan upfront and we also left huge gaps where Chelsea count counter attack as Fellaini and Pogba would need to chase back.

I hope this was a one off because I don't see those tactics working. Rashford isn't a winger, we're totally misusing him if we think that's his future position. But we're also then putting our defense under immense pressure on the counter as Fellaini and Pogba are too high up the pitch leaving us with Lingard, Rashford and Herrera to shield it. I'm still struggling to understand it.

killerboi2

Ibrahamovic not scored for a while now and hasn't been playing great anyway. I'd take the past his prime striker who knows the club and the league over the past his prime striker who doesn't and hasn't (and most likely wouldn't) contributed anything to us winning trophies.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
6 points off the top doesn't sound too bad... 5 points off Stoke in 16th on the other hand...
I'm still looking at you as being 6 off top, and in the great scheme of things a win was probably more important for Chelsea than a draw for United.
Strange game, lost 4-0 to a side who genuinely weren't that good but we were so error prone that we deserved to lose 4-0.
Their back three had it easy, playing our front three so far apart played into their hands on top of the fact our cf was basically a cone for 90 mins.
I agree. I do not think we were that good. We're still very much work in progress.
You made it easy (for us) today, but thursday had probably a profound effect on your performance today.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Honestly I would give Jose at least 3 years. We just need to get that bit of luck and get on a winning run.

This match might be the final straw for the likes of fellaini so thats the silver lining.
This.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Well that's an understatement. I honestly can't recall any other time we lost by 4 goals in recent memory except for that city game and the 5-0 vs. Chelsea back in 1999.
Really..? Lets not start dragging up some horror shows.

Red Viking

This is not just a bit of luck.. after 9 games we are at 7th and Goal difference of plus 1 that is absolutely shit even for a mid table team.

eggwithsideburns

I just want to forget football for a while. I don't get how we can be so bad still. All the other big clubs are ahead of us, were bottom of the pile of the big clubs even after spending big on good players and bringing in a top manager.

Fellaini needs mentioning, he was awful.

Irrational.

Wait what? WHo swapped shirts? I didn't have the stomach to watch the final 5 minutes of the Chelsea players show boating.
Everyone was at it to be honest. Ibra swapped shirts with Batshuayi, Martial walked off the pitch with his arm around Kante, DDG laughing and joking with [Irrelevant point]...

There's sportsmanship and then there's that. Very disappointing to see.

Silverman

This is the most disappointed i've been in a while after a game. Awful performance and result.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
To be critical of him (mourinho) and in fairness he figured it out himself, fellaini was horrible today. Forget about attacking wise, but he wasnt doing it defensively. I still think bastian should be part of the equation.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Everyone was at it to be honest. Ibra swapped shirts with Batshuayi, Martial walked off the pitch with his arm around Kante, DDG laughing and joking with [Irrelevant point]...

Just when I thought the day couldn't get worse.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

I think the silver lining is shattering the illusion that we're in the title race this season and starkly laying bare the problems at our club. This is going to take some time and effort to sort so anyone; including players, coaches, staff and even fans, who haven't got the guts for a long and painful rebuilding process should be shown the door.

DevilRed

This is not just a bit of luck.. after 9 games we are at 7th and Goal difference of plus 1 that is absolutely shit even for a mid table team.
Its not been ideal. But look at the fixtures. We have played citeh, dippers (away) and chelski (away). We have also beaten leicester (ok fine they are shite this year) and won away against bournemouth and hull. Thats alot of away fixtures out of the way.

I still think we just need a run of wins at home to sort out our confidence and find our best team.

We are also only 6 points off the top despite losing 3 times already. Its a very much wide open league still. We just need to beat the "easy" teams to close the gap.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
It's funny reading posts saying Mourinho should "have a word with himself" for having a go at Conte but the same posters say the team has no fight in it.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
This team needs a mentality change.
And dare I say it. Rooney needs to step up and be the man to do it. He might not be the player he was but he's won everything. To much Facebook Twitter and dabbing going on. They need to be told Hey we're a fecking football team that people pay to watch. Whether at the gate or on TV.
These guys are the elite. The best paid athletes in the world.
Playing like Stoke or Watford is unacceptable.

Giggs86

People who blame Mourinho, I can guarantee you if we had Conte today and they had Mourinho we would've still lost. You can bet your house on that. It's time we stop blaming the manager and take a hard look at some of the players wearing our club's jersey.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Yet they showed I think Pedro go over to Mata and Mata looked like someone had run over his dog. Let's see who really cared about this result and who just thinks it was just another day at the office.

ghagua

Who needs coaching when we can spend 150 million every transfer window to produce this shite.

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 513 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Chelsea 1:1 Man Utd
  • 21% Chelsea 1:2 Man Utd