PL W FA Premier League

Chelsea 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 17 February 2020

Craig Ward

Its a results business and that was a must win.

As fans, we have to be happy with that

Some things i noticed:
- Chelsea basically rolled over and let us win - they were so poor and wasteful throughout
- Maguire was lucky to be on the pitch
- The first VAR review could have gone either way
- Our tactics - predictable. We were a bit clueless going forward and sloppy with the ball throughout. Forward passing seems to be an issue.
- Shaw was brilliant. Even from left center back - he strode on and carried the ball. Very solid.
- Fernandes. Has so much ability and found pockets of space. Shame we couldnt get him on the ball more but he is a level above what we have
- Fred. All action, tenacious and showing good battling/winning mentality. Safe in his passing but a really vital player for us
- Martial. the most frustrating utd player to watch. Took his goal brilliantly, but workrate was below par and very lazy in possession.
- D.James. Confidence seems shot. Tries hard, but was so so isolated on times. Dont feel the tactics helped him much but he could do better in some areas.
- We are clueless in the final 3rd. No movement, no tempo to the play. I'd say we are extremely good at winning the ball from defence and midfield and by the time we hit the final third - we freeze. Highlights how much we miss Rashford. Signing an out and out goalscorer may not fix this problem - we simply dont make enough openings to create enough goal scoring chances. Biggest concern for me

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Saw it as a match between two unfinished teams particularly up front. Decent win gives us a sniff of CL now don't see what there is to complain about last night compared to most of the rest of the season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Bloody hell! I couldn't even go to the supermarket today without two people working there moaning about Harry not getting sent off and that it was disgusting. The absolute bitterness in their voices. Made my spirits soar.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Agreed, but I think it's also important to note we should have had a penalty after that foul on Fred. The foul may have started outside the box but it continued into the box before it bought him down, so that should have been a penalty not a freekick. So while we did get the advantage in terms of the referee decisions it didn't go all our way. 2:1 in terms of the big decisions.
A foul is given where the initial contact took place which was outside the box so no, it shouldn't have been a penalty.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its a results business and that was a must win.

As fans, we have to be happy with that

Some things i noticed:
- Chelsea basically rolled over and let us win - they were so poor and wasteful throughout
- Maguire was lucky to be on the pitch
- The first VAR review could have gone either way
- Our tactics - predictable. We were a bit clueless going forward and sloppy with the ball throughout. Forward passing seems to be an issue.
- Shaw was brilliant. Even from left center back - he strode on and carried the ball. Very solid.
- Fernandes. Has so much ability and found pockets of space. Shame we couldnt get him on the ball more but he is a level above what we have
- Fred. All action, tenacious and showing good battling/winning mentality. Safe in his passing but a really vital player for us
- Martial. the most frustrating utd player to watch. Took his goal brilliantly, but workrate was below par and very lazy in possession.
- D.James. Confidence seems shot. Tries hard, but was so so isolated on times. Dont feel the tactics helped him much but he could do better in some areas.
- We are clueless in the final 3rd. No movement, no tempo to the play. I'd say we are extremely good at winning the ball from defence and midfield and by the time we hit the final third - we freeze. Highlights how much we miss Rashford. Signing an out and out goalscorer may not fix this problem - we simply dont make enough openings to create enough goal scoring chances. Biggest concern for me
Fernandes wont immediately cure our creativity problems. We've gone from having 0 creative midfielders to 1, and it's not that difficult to limit their space and availability as Jorginho did last night. Adding a Pogba or other creative players as we will do this summer will give opponents a much more difficult problem to solve.

Agree about James - he is struggling, but to be fair last night he was almost always doubled up on. He is going through what all young players go through at some point. The surprise element has gone and they've been largely figured out. He'll either kick on and adapt his game or go the same way as many do and we realise that he isnt quite cut out for the top level.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Bloody hell! I couldn't even go to the supermarket today without two people working there moaning about Harry not getting sent off and that it was disgusting. The absolute bitterness in their voices. Made my spirits soar.
The thing I always think about this is, if your whole game relies on the other team getting a man sent off then you've got bigger things to worry about.

It's different if they're playing Liverpool or City, as you need that sort of leveler to give you a chance... but they're playing us for feck sake... at home. They shouldn't have to rely on a red card to get a result.

ICHM

What this match showed was that Bailly is a cut above other options for Maguires partner, we should stick with him.

Bruno was a fantastic buy and will be a bargain at the price paid.

We miss a 9 who runs, rather than walks. We can't get Rashford back soon enough.

I am not normally a Shaw fan, but he did well. He looks to pass short all the time and sideways in most matches, without using his pace.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Turned Talksport off this morning (yet again). They seem to be obsessed about how unlucky Chelsea were in losing rather than looking at how bad they actually are. United get sod all credit for winning. We did get some luck, but it is about time we got some there.
I have a Chelsea supporting friend who can never admit they were worse in a game. It's always referee or bad luck. We've beaten them four times in a year and he never even once admitted we deserved to win. But he even said back when City beat them 6-0 that 'with a fair referee it would have been a different story'.

DomesticTadpole

The thing I always think about this is, if your whole game relies on the other team getting a man sent off then you've got bigger things to worry about.

It's different if they're playing Liverpool or City, as you need that sort of leveler to give you a chance... but they're playing us for feck sake... at home. They shouldn't have to rely on a red card to get a result.
Think the injuries didn't help them, but they don't have a ban now, so could have made sure their squad options are better. Just nice to see some fight in the players. Think that has been missing. It was also sweet being on the right end of a dodgy decision for once. Maybe that was why Batshuayi was so wasteful, his eyes were watering that much.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Indeed. Of course Maguire should have been sent off but it's not like the game was decided by it. It was still 11 v 11. Getting a player wrongly sent off is an excuse, opposition player not getting sent off for something their team gained zero advantage for is not really something that influences the game.

DomesticTadpole

I have a Chelsea supporting friend who can never admit they were worse in a game. It's always referee or bad luck. We've beaten them four times in a year and he never even once admitted we deserved to win. But he even said back when City beat them 6-0 that 'with a fair referee it would have been a different story'.
Seriously deluded then. We might be a bit daft on here at times, but at least when we were sh*t we admit we were sh*t.

Born2Lose

Stamford Bridge is never easy, the level of begrudging praise by many on here speaks volumes about modern "fans".

Bailly looked like a different player, must be much easier to come back into the team when you've got a positive manager instead of a negative one.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
One of our best "team" performances since we beat Chelsea on the first day of the season (not sure what that says about the rest of the season). Yes, VAR went with us: the decisions on the goals were right, and I'm with Gary Nev on why people moan about offsides. off side is indeed offside, bu the defence did go to sleep for both Chelsea's "goals". Besides that, I thought the defence looked in control for long periods.

Have to say, I was surprised how poor Chelsea were at home (now who do they remind me of?) but we had some good performances, notably Bailly (have always said he and Lindelof, given runs in the side, are good enough), Shaw and Fred. Ighalo looked busy with a couple of nice touches but should probably have scored: a natural goal-scorer would have done. On top of all that, we scored from a bloody corner. Is tht the first once since Beckham left? ha ha. Seriously, there were flashed from Bruno that makes me think, given top players around him, it could be money well spent

Negatives: I still don't see the point of martial. Disappeared for long periods, poor touches (and to think Lukaku got slated here for just that) and a couple of times had the chance to put a player through and failed miserably.

All that said, it's a good result. But will be meaningless if we follow it up with a shite performance/result against Watford on Sunday

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Think the injuries didn't help them, but they don't have a ban now, so could have made sure their squad options are better. Just nice to see some fight in the players. Think that has been missing. It was also sweet being on the right end of a dodgy decision for once. Maybe that was why Batshuayi was so wasteful, his eyes were watering that much.
I mean if your team is starting Batshuayi ahead of Giroud, you get everything thats coming to you.

DomesticTadpole

I mean if your team is starting Batshuayi ahead of Giroud, you get everything thats coming to you.
He wanted rid of Giroud it appeared, yet he is a threat against United. It was strange not starting him. They definitely missed Tammy. Ziyech will be a really good signing for them.

Denis79

I thought it wasn't a red until I saw the 10th replay after the match. It didn't look like a kick out and Maguire said he thought he was going to fall on him so he put his foot out to stop that from happening. I'd be inclined to believe him to be honest. Another ref might have sent him off for it so we probably got lucky there, subjective decision I guess?
Don't believe he had the intention to harm either but he didn't just put up the leg to prevent being fallen on, there was a kicking motion. Either way the red wasn't given and we should be thankful about that decision. Other than that we deserved the win, both their goals were rightfully disallowed and we were the better team.

Oldyella

Don't believe he had the intention to harm either but he didn't just put up the leg to prevent being fallen on, there was a kicking motion. Either way the red wasn't given and we should be thankful about that decision. Other than that we deserved the win, both their goals were rightfully disallowed and we were the better team.
Maybe it's due to them losing Tammy closer to kick off but we handled missing our focal attacker much better than they did. We seem to have their number at the minute, felt strangely confident going into the game.

Maticmaker

Watched a few Chelsea v United games at 'the Bridge' over the years where for the most part any luck or dodgy decisions went Chelsea's way, last night everything went our way. VAR is amazing (well it was last night) crucial win, keeps us in the game for PL place.
Some good performances, but for me after a shaky start Bailly was tremendous, good to see him back to something like his old self.

TRUERED89

Look clueless when the ball is in our possession.

So many defensive lapses that were unpunished.

Making stupid decisions when it comes to the final 3rd.

Don’t release the ball quick enough in the other 2/3 of the pitch.

Overall, 3 points, but we’re shit.
Yes there's plenty to work on but deary me, we've just done a league double over Chelsea for the first time ever in the PL era. Scored two great goals and kept a clean sheet (albeit fortuitously). I wonder what you're like after a loss? Jheeez. We've slapped them 3 times in a row now.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
It is weird how a lot of pundits/people reckon that a slight shove in the back means you simply HAVE to use both your hands to push someone to the floor.

If the ref hadn't overturned it I could see why (and another ref on another day might not have overturned it)... but you can obviously see why VAR has overturned it, so it's hardly a big blunder or whatever.

Funny how the people/pundits that are saying he pushed him because Fred nudged him aren't using that defense for Maguire kicking Batshuayi in the nuts (granted they're quite different incidents, but still)
I've been in this exact in many a football game, since it happens... ALL the time, to everyone. You either brace with your hands in front of your chest or you just bump into the guy. No reason to extend your arms at all. He pushed him over and that was that.

On a unrelated note: Imagine if we could all be happy about a massively important win that puts us right back on track? i refuse to believe that other fan bases do their very, very best to find so many faults with their own after a big victory against a rival.

GenZRed

I know a lot of people saying we were lucky, but we are due luck against Chelsea at Stamford bridge. In both the 2015/16 season and 2018/19 season they scored last minute equalizers against us at Stamford bridge when we deserved to win.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Bruno seems pretty good. Good vision, solid passing and great dead balls. Really wish we'd have Rashford and Pogba available next match. Would be a joy to watch imo.
Well I wish we had McT. Him and Fred, Bruno and Rashford. Mind you Matic was a key man last night. He made the passing game work. Time to forget about that prat PP.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Indeed. Of course Maguire should have been sent off but it's not like the game was decided by it. It was still 11 v 11. Getting a player wrongly sent off is an excuse, opposition player not getting sent off for something their team gained zero advantage for is not really something that influences the game.
He was going for the ball, he got the ball, only plural.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Something that seems to go unnoticed here: This was our 4th clean sheet in a row. Manchester City, Wolverhampton and Chelsea in succession plus the clobbering of league mini Tranmere.

We're certainly shaping up.

Dr Fink

A semi-decent performance. Irrespective of them not actually counting - Chelsea scored twice agaisnt us. The defending was just about acceptable. I'm "Ole Out" but for this game, we actually seemed to have a game plan and looked to have been coached in it. Coincidental with Bruno playing where he did? One swallow however, does not make a summer. Ask me again in 3 games' time. Far too many false dawns off the back of beating a top team. An enjoyable game for once from me, with the odd jitter (their goals), for an added scare factor! We need consistency and it can start with beating Brugge, then Watford on Sunday: both below average teams. Momentum required, which we've never had all season. Then I'll get back to backing Ole.

Bailly - looked like Bambi in the first 10 mins then was reassured bar "that" second half slip. He is either excellent or shocking. We need a new CB to partner H. Shaw was very, very good. AWB was decent going forward. Matic - good, Fred - i have to say I've changed my opinion on him - he looks like he's settled and must be the first name on the team sheet. Williams was hot and cold.

James was double marked throughout, Rudiger kept roughing him up, but did well to hold the ball up second half; it's not his game, so credit to him. Martial - blew hot and cold; got some rought treatment though, but not really an excuse, I expect far more. Bruno looks good; good dead ball delivery and some vision; we struggled to get him on the ball for long periods of the game. I think that is his position.

Let's discuss again after Watford.........

York

This was a perfect match to sum up the current state of the PL. Quite terrible quality from both sides accompanied by some shambolic refereeing and VAR. Anyway, happy with 3 points.
You mean the league with 4 teams in last year's UCL quarter-final with no other league having more than 1? It's not that bad, especially considering some of our best players are sidelined with injuries.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I'm usually very negative about the state of affairs, but I can't argue against a win.
A win is a win is a win in my book.
3 points and a possibility of getting top 4.

I really do wish that we could go and win all our remaining matches and Ole takes us to the promised land, in years to come. This would be the best scenario.
Sadly, I just don't see it.

A good win last night, though. No complaints from me.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Something that seems to go unnoticed here: This was our 4th clean sheet in a row. Manchester City, Wolverhampton and Chelsea in succession plus the clobbering of league mini Tranmere.

We're certainly shaping up.
Good point.
Defensively we been solid, though last night CFC did have 2 goals disallowed.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
So according to Owen Hargreaves (I know)... Fred has light shoved Azpulicueta with such force that he simply has to put two hands up in front of him to protect himself and shove over Williams.... but in turn Williams has made a meal out of the far more forceful shove that Azpulicueta gave him and bought the free kick.

#logic

always_hoping

Interesting stat.

That was first time Man United have completed a league double over Chelsea without conceding a goal since 1964-65.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The main thing to come out of yesterday's match is that Ole has once again, earned himself a reprieve.
When he loses his next match, the wolves will be out again.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Interesting stat.

That was first time Man United have completed a league double over Chelsea without conceding a goal since 1964-65.
A positive record, for once.
But does this not make it all the more frustrating that we are struggling to score goals and to win matches.
We are so inconsistent.

simplyared

Energetic performance! Reminded me of the Tommy Doc days. Young players giving their all. Thought Maguire was our best player. What pleased me most though was Bailly's performance. Can't really fault any of the players as they all looked like they were playing for the badge last night. Great!

bonothom

A good performance against a direct rival. We actually have a player that can deliver from set pieces as well. Fernandez is quality. It begs the question why the hell are United only 7th. Why the hell can't they perform against the lower teams. There is definetly something wrong with the attitude when they can't raise their game for Burnley at home but can go to Chelsea and win twice this season.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Fair play to Fred for going to protect Martial from the Chavs when he was clearly hurt. I thought his teammates were a bit slow in supporting him. That sort of act sets a tone, makes a statement that we are not going to be pushed around.
Is Martial the most frustrating United player ever? In my view yes. The guy has it all, skill, power, pace, finishing ability but he just doesn't produce it enough.
Anyway still basking in the glow of an away win at the Bridge, well done lads.

Man of the Match

Fred image Fred 53% of 406 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 384.07692307692 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw