PL W FA Premier League

Chelsea 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 17 February 2020

Paul_Scholes18

Happy wiith a win and good perfornace, We worked as a unit even if ew had quality in defense at team.
Now bring on EL and not Corona please ;).

Cantonagotmehere

The slight maneuver on the chelsea player was pretty negligible and very common in the box but our player after that was pole axed by a clear shove in the back that results in a goal. I can see why it was disallowed. Lee Dixon and Le Saux we're going crazy how it should've stood.
Those 2 suck so bad.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Only 8 pages on this one.
A great result for us and tbh not that surprising considering our form against teams above us in the league.
Now if we could only show up against the lower & mid tier teams.

lex talionis

Sure, we rode a bit of luck in Maguire not getting sent off but everything taken into account we were the better side and deserved three points.

Standouts for me were Bruno, Fred, Maguire and Matic. Bailly looked shaky at times but he can't be blamed for a bit of rust. He actually grew into the match quite nicely after that shaky start.

Martial still pouts and sulks too much for my liking but you have to love the sweet goal he scored. Apart from the goal, the man was in witness protection most of the match.

The player I'm increasingly concerned about is James. The effort is there, but the quality is lacking. It could well be he's little more than a speed merchant.

Gasolin

Sure, we rode a bit of luck in Maguire not getting sent off but everything taken into account we were the better side and deserved three points.

Standouts for me were Bruno, Fred, Maguire and Matic. Bailly looked shaky at times but he can't be blamed for a bit of rust. He actually grew into the match quite nicely after that shaky start.

Martial still pouts and sulks too much for my liking but you have to love the sweet goal he scored. Apart from the goal, the man was in witness protection most of the match.

The player I'm increasingly concerned about is James. The effort is there, but the quality is lacking. It could well be he's little more than a speed merchant.
James, Chelsea double marked him and always anticipated a run inside. I think he needs to combine with a player in the middle and push up in his channel more to force the defender to track him or be risk exposing the side, that would help us more than just driving the ball alone.

Cantonagotmehere

Interesting tactics today.

We played Wilder-esque overlapping centrebacks, with Shaw and Bailly getting forward alongside Williams and Wan-Bissaka. The defence was mostly good, I thought.

Decent showing from the midfield, too. Fred and Matic were steady, if uninspiring. Bruno wasn't quite as effective, but he's still growing into the side and there were encouraging signs of what's to come.

Martial and James needed to do more up front. Neither held up the ball or ran the channels effectively. Though to their credit, James was very good with his pressing and Martial's movement for the goal was something Chicharito would have been proud of. Both decent only in flashes.

Some very positive signs from Ighalo. I'd start him up front alongside Martial in the next game. James isn't a (split-)striker. Though nor is Martial, to be fair. But at least the latter can finish.

All in all, it was a good day's work.
Don't disagree, but Little James holdding the ball up a bunch at the end was impressive to me.

LDUred

Chelsea were unlucky with those pivotal decisions, but if the same decisions and result had gone against us, the narrative wouldn't have been, 'poor old Ole', it would have been, 'hapless Solskjaer stumbles from one calamity to another', with those major talking points reduced to mere footnotes in the after match discussion. In contrast to our manager, Lampard has been getting something of a free pass from the press. I guess he has a few more mates in the media than Ole does.

Even though he has masterminded another fantastic result there has been very little in the way of credit for OGS, but we looked a lot better today and the midfield had a balance to it that we haven't witnessed for a while. Harry is starting to command the middle of the park more and look more assured with the ball at his feet.

We do have to back this result up now, though. If we fail to beat Watford at home, then the naysayers will be out if force again, and with some justification.

Reactions: Penna

cyril C

Fred and Bruno shine, better than Chelsea's MF but of course Kante only had 10min. Both goals were beautiful, haven't seen such quality for awhile.

Alek M

Da manic one
Lads were excellent.

Martial was poor, apart from that header.

the only good things that nbc comentators said was that the passes to Bruno were not going in in the first half when he was making clever runs as an AM behind the striker. we needed to be quicker with our passes.

cyril C

The back 3 and Fred were superb, I like the 3-5-2 for us, both headers were excellent and Chelsea's goals were rightly ruled out. I still thought we were lacking in attack though, nothing much from the front 3.
352 generally meant defensive by nature, unless your wingback can take on defenders like a true winger. Even when we have Rashford replacing James, I don't think we can see much improvement on attacking power. Better control of the game, better quality on shooting, but not in build up, without the wingbacks involvement.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Chelsea were unlucky with those pivotal decisions, but if the same decisions and result had gone against us, the narrative wouldn't have been, 'poor old Ole', it would have been, 'hapless Solskjaer stumbles from one calamity to another', with those major talking points reduced to mere footnotes in the after match discussion. In contrast to our manager, Lampard has been getting something of a free pass from the press. I guess he has a few more mates in the media than Ole does.

Even though he has masterminded another fantastic result there has been very little in the way of credit for OGS, but we looked a lot better today and the midfield had a balance to it that we haven't witnessed for a while. Harry is starting to command the middle of the park more and look more assured with the ball at his feet.

We do have to back this result up now, though. If we fail to beat Watford at home, then the naysayers will be out if force again, and with some justification.
It's his first season with Chelsea and he had no new signings due to a transfer ban and yet he has Chelsea higher up than us. Did anybody really expect him to guide Chelsea to top 4 before the season began? Most people were expecting him to be a scapegoat for this season and he's doing way better than expected.

Why would people talk shit about him when he's overachieving in everybody's view?

Gasolin

It's his first season with Chelsea and he had no new signings due to a transfer ban and yet he has Chelsea higher up than us. Did anybody really expect him to guide Chelsea to top 4 before the season began? Most people were expecting him to be a scapegoat for this season and he's doing way better than expected.

Why would people talk shit about him when he's overachieving in everybody's view?
It's just that the media is in awe of Lampard when in truth, he lost to Ole x3 and is probably benefiting from the fact that United, despite not allowing that many shots on goal in most games, often concedes an abnormally high amount of goals based on the number of chances conceded. It's a freak stat in my opinion that should get fixed with time and when confidence is back in the team, it just doesn't make sense. We defend so well overall, we don't allow many shots, but when we allow them, they become a goal most of the time, and that has allowed this Chelsea team to be higher than us.

But it shouldn't last.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Greet post; pretty much sums it up. Chelsea were dire, though.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It turns out that the cure for our 'meh' records against Chelsea (even under Sir Alex) was Lampard managing them rather than playing for them. That Rashford freekick was a sign.

And now 2 disallowed goals by VAR :lol:.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It would be great if during the run in, we can actually see what we’d be like with everyone fit. If you plonk a fully fit Rashford and Pogba into this team, coupled with the emergence of Fred (who has been quietly excellent all season, but is now making headlines); then this could be a good team. A midfield three of Fred, Pogba, and Bruno is excellent. With McTominay fighting for a place.

I think we could properly compete next season with three signings. A top quality CB, RW and ST. Something like Koulibaly, Sancho, Werner.

- We need a partner for Maguire. It’s the foundation of the team. Jones is done. Bailly is equally brilliant and terrible, and Lindelof is too weak.

- If you okay a 3 up front, there’s no real balance or threat from the right. James is a good player but he’s got a lot of developing to do. Better as an impact sub imo.

- Good header from Martial. Technically superb player. Doesn’t affect games enough though, not fo enough work off the ball. Werner, Dembele, or Lautaro, would all be excellent additions, either upgrading on Martial or providing a much needed alternative. We need more quality rotational options.

- If Pogba leaves I’d prefer a true #6 or 8 to replace him. Not a Maddison or Grealish. If we had to get one, I’d get Grealish you Can player deeper better, and offers more spine and leadership. Not to mention, easier to rotate. That said, someone like Saul would be my preference.

Fred the best player on the pitch today. Easily.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The slight maneuver on the chelsea player was pretty negligible and very common in the box but our player after that was pole axed by a clear shove in the back that results in a goal. I can see why it was disallowed. Lee Dixon and Le Saux we're going crazy how it should've stood.
Those fecking clowns did my head in last night. In their mind, one slight push automatically means Brandon Williams getting shoved is logical. I mean wtf :houllier:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
This is so damn true. He looked like Maldini yesterday, the problem is that we will get a Jones performance now and again
No he didn’t. He played okay. Made one big mistake that we were lucky not to cost a goal. People are knee jerk here. His back catalogue of performances have been overwhelmingly poor. People like the novelty of a fresh player back, and the hope he’ll fulfill that early promise. But he’s been mostly shite since he came here, and he’s made of glass. We need to buy a partner for Maguire.

Strelok

Bruno seems pretty good. Good vision, solid passing and great dead balls. Really wish we'd have Rashford and Pogba available next match. Would be a joy to watch imo.

BigLebowski007

Very good performance from whole squad! Maguire and Fred were great. Bailly started a bit rusty but had a good game in the end. Martial was treated a bit unfairly I believe, he was getting on the ball a lot but defenders kept fouling him and reffree didn't award any free kicks for us. So yeah, he was frustrated. Still when his moment came he delivered.
Bruno is a quality player. But we have troubles finding him in good positions. Sometimes the pass to him was on, but players decided for safer option instead. Hope we will improve on that.
The problem is I feel these 11 plus Lindelof are the only healthy players worth putting on the field. So no room for rotation. Yes, Greenwood can help a lot too, but he shouldn't be pushed too hard.

Robertd0803

Hard to believe that we actually won a league match at Stamford Bridge and thats the 3rd time we have beaten them this season. (On top of last seasons FA Cup win there).

Rock solid performance, Fred in particular was brilliant.

As for the VAR decisions Chelsea can feck off. Both goals were rightly disallowed and while Maguire probably (;)) should have been sent off, both the ref and VAR said no. We have had enough rubbish go against us at Stamford Bridge over the years so boohoo for them.

LVGSdive

Good result, couple of good performances but in general we made the game scrappy and benefited from big moments

Second goal is unlucky to be ruled out.

Ighalo a couple of nice touches... what more can you want haha
I thought the second goal was offside. I thought the Zouma goal should have stood. I would have been unhappy if a goal for us got ruled out because our player is nudged into an opposition player.

Jeffthered

All our wins are so, so, so important right now, so we take it.
Everything went our way, and Chelsea are justified to feel hard done by. Maguire should have seen red, and Zouma's goal should have stood. And man, they need a decent forward... They cannot shoot straight! Awful in front of goal.

We played quite well, looked fresh. Fred played v well. Matic too. I like Williams energy. Maguire was terrific (brain lapse aside). Bissaka is work in progress but defends well. His cross was a simple blueprint of what he should seek to do, go on the outside, make half-a-yard and whip the ball in. Just keep doing that.

Martial scored his very occasional good finish... But aside from that, he was well, Martial.

SteveW

Still absolutely buzzing over that result. Lose that and top 4 may have been gone.

Absolutely huge result. This team is developing a battle hardenedness that will serve them well going forward.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
No he didn’t. He played okay. Made one big mistake that we were lucky not to cost a goal. People are knee jerk here. His back catalogue of performances have been overwhelmingly poor. People like the novelty of a fresh player back, and the hope he’ll fulfill that early promise. But he’s been mostly shite since he came here, and he’s made of glass. We need to buy a partner for Maguire.
His last ditch tackle positively colored what was (logically so as he is just back) a worrying performance at times. The corner Chelsea scored from and got disallowed, I invite the caftards to watch what Bailly did leading it up to it, how he lost the ball.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Turned Talksport off this morning (yet again). They seem to be obsessed about how unlucky Chelsea were in losing rather than looking at how bad they actually are. United get sod all credit for winning. We did get some luck, but it is about time we got some there.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Thought Luke Shaw was very good in the Left Center Back role. Fred quality, Maguire, AWB and Bruno all very good aswel.

dirkey

Rode our luck at times, but a great result.
Bailly - he was shocking to begin with, but did grow into the game. Although he lost the ball poorly before a corner for one of their disallowed goals - as mentioned by @kouroux
AWB - Is overly harshly judged on his attacking ability. I think he's being asked to do more of it lately, and it's paying off - should have supplied the game winner last time out too but for Dalot missing a sitter.
Maguire - Idiotic moment, very lucky. Fabulous header, overall good game.
Shaw - thought he was pretty average.
Williams - bad game for him.
Matic - decent.
Fred - MOTM, clearly.
Bruno - Great assist. Nice tidy game. Love that the first thing he does when he gets the ball is get the eyes up and look forward. Great movement - once the lads learn to use him properly, he could be very good. I remember Fergie saying something similar about ... was it Van Persie?
Martial - great finish. Lovely move earlier in the game where he'd a poor left-foot shot. Overall, need to see more from him. He's infuriating.
James - I think ultimately he'll be a squad player at best, good to come on when a game is stretched.

Man of the Match

Fred image Fred 53% of 406 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 384.07692307692 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw