PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Wed, 06 December 2023

T Red

To think that I had to convince my self to give this team one last chance with this game before giving up on them, after the torture last game. I am glad I did. By far the best game of the season.

Now please keep it up boys and give us something to rave about.

neon_badger

I'm even more confused by our midfield and how to best use what we have, is McTominay our best attacking midfielder? It's looking that way, so can we play him in an advanced role and still have Bruno doing what he does? It leaves one of Amrabat/Mainoo/Casemiro/Mount/Eriksen with a lot to do, a better team than Chelsea would expose the holes in that midfield, so do we drop Bruno and use two of our other more versatile midfielders or play Bruno/ McTominay and keep hoping McTominay scores more than we concede due to a weak midfield?

Baneofthegame

Should of been 5-1, great performance from the team, nice to see a Rashford jog cameo as well.

RuudTom83

Good vibes tonight, sure they still do a lot wrong but it was nice to see the team play with a bit of togetherness.

The Hilton

Totally dominant, but our poor finishing almost came back to bite us again.

The biggest positive for me is the control we had in the second half, Shaw on for Lindelof made us less vulnerable to the Chelsea counter attacks.

Ranie

Great response from the lads. Great fight, a bit shaky in defence but overall a good performance. Are there anyone who wants McTominay gone in january? Nahh, didn’t think so.

DavidDeSchmikes

Frustrating we didn't get more goals, A nice big hammering would have been good. But the important thing was obviously the win, but crucially the effort, energy, togetherness and the mere fact we were creating (a lot) of chances and openings. We've got to build on this now and take it through December and beyond

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Great performance. A proper hard-working one. It's the type of cohesive team press we should be seeing every game and it should be our style for sure.

No wonder we managed to pull off the cohesive press with hard workers in the team and without Rashford stinking up the place with his half arsed jogging.

Lee565

I would take the win with a pinch of salt, I can't believe potch turned up with a 2 man midfield when all season we have struggled with being bossed in midfield against sides playing 3 in midfield, we still looked very exposed and luckily Chelsea were as wasteful as us.

Red Royal

Enjoyed that game, pity we couldn't score more, pity we let them through a few too many times and a pity Rasmus didn't get more chances but a vast improvement...could be because Chelski are so bad or maybe a reaction from last game.

Someone

Something
Good win. Lots of positives but lacking in quality. The body language, pressing. and effort was there from everyone. Good reaction to the negative week we've just had.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
All of the McT moaners in the prematch thread please come forward and apologize. Have some shame . You guys are embarrassing !

mav_9me

Best performance of the season. Key for that imo was the hard work and energy of getting 3, Hojlund, Garnacho and Antony with Bruno of course

nazanto

While the scoreline was only 2-1, but that was definitely our best performance this season by far. The intensity was great. 28 shots, Jesus that's alot. Some might say we're wasted but after last week, I'll take that even we only score just two from Mctodinho.

We're still easy getting penetrated at times but feck, give me that performance everyday and twice on Sunday and I'll be happy man. Genuinely will rated all players on the pitch 8.0 today. Qué Andy Tate famous quote "second half of the season, we're doing a title charge"

mav_9me

Great performance. A proper hard-working one. It's the type of cohesive team press we should be seeing every game and it should be our style for sure.

No wonder we managed to pull off the cohesive press with hard workers in the team and without Rashford stinking up the place with his half arsed jogging.
Bottomline

Banana Republic

What a difference when the lazy, poor work rate players are left on the bench.
Keep them there!

Positivity, fight, determination, playing like a team and not letting up on the effort.
Still we can’t score and that’ll be our undoing, until it’s sorted out.
Chelsea could have got a lucky break with those attacks in the final 10 minutes and all that effort would have been wasted for 1 point.

Should have been 4 or 5-1.
3 points behind City as well, but let’s not get carried away.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I think it is time to drop Bruno and push McTominay behind Hoijund and move Shaw to CB. Mainoo and Amrabat is midfield, McTominay and Hoijund with Garnacho and Antony on the wing. I think it looks better in possession and defence.

quadrant

Good performance overall. Annoying we couldn't get more goals (xG of about 4) but the attitude and style was right.

Sad to say, but the front line looked so much better without Rashford. The added energy and workrate was obvious. First half especially the pressing was great and we hounded out quite a few good opportunities. I think he needs another couple on the bench.

I thought Antony and Amrabat had much better games, even if they aren't necessarily the greatest players on earth. Scott was his usual self in general play but long may this hot streak in front of goal last.

Defence was mostly good at cutting out their counters. The goal we conceded, well, sometimes you just have to accept it was a great goal.

Chelsea were awful you have to say. Spent the whole game streaking off on the counter attack only to lose the ball at the first pass and get caught hopelessly out of shape. I know they're having a poor season but they looked so flimsy I was still taken aback. Hope it carries on.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
played really well I thought. Every time Garnacho got the ball I thought something was going to happen. He put a great cross in for the second. Love watching him wanting and getting the ball. His rawness at just going forward will surely get polished as he plays more and more. Exciting future for him. Chelsea’s equaliser was disappointing, thought the keeper could have got down quicker but other folk think not, guess we all see it differently. Saying that, he got his pea roller off with 4 defenders around him so really if anyone is to blame for their goal it should be them. But enough of the negativity,
An enjoyable game after the shambles at St James.

siw2007

That was actually really quite good! We weren’t clinical and we could have been very easily punished, but we created enough chances to score 6 goals. The football was good, we were energetic, hungry, worked very hard, but we were aggressive and positive in possession. Fab performances from Amrabat, Bruno, Shaw, Dalot, and of course McTominay. Garnacho was a bit wasteful but delivered the goods in the end, also loved how he tore apart Cucurella in the 1st half, so Poch brought on James just for Garnacho to tear him apart too.

Well done to the team tonight, but please, for the love of god, don’t rest on your laurels. We must follow it up with another top display at the weekend and again against Bayern.

Roboc7

What a difference when the lazy, poor work rate players are left on the bench.
Keep them there!

Positivity, fight, determination, playing like a team and not letting up on the effort.
Still we can’t score and that’ll be our undoing, until it’s sorted out.
Chelsea could have got a lucky break with those attacks in the final 10 minutes and all that effort would have been wasted for 1 point.

Should have been 4 or 5-1.
3 points behind City as well, but let’s not get carried away.
There were plenty on the pitch tonight who were lazy against Newcastle, Mctominay decided the game tonight but put in one of most cowardly performances ever seen from a midfielder on Saturday. The squad is full of players who can’t be trusted week in week out, until they are prepared to put effort in on a regular basis we won’t get anywhere.

TrailMonkey

Although that was probably our best all round performance of the season, it's also a game we could have lost had Chelsea been more clinical. Sure, we had some good possession, pressed far more effectively higher up the pitch (collectively), showed good movement and desire etc, we still made mistakes in the middle and defensively that should have cost us.

Much better from us though, and shows why the likes of Rashford and Martial shouldn't be near the team. Plenty of energy tonight and just about made it count. A similar performance and another 3 pts at the weekend and let's see where that takes us.

suheilsworld

Great game. Finishing continues to be a concern and I really hope we turn this run around where we are scoring for fun.
And yes, please keep rashford on bench (KROB)

edgecutter

All of the McT moaners in the prematch thread please come forward and apologize. Have some shame . You guys are embarrassing !
He deserved every bit of that ridicule for that performance on Saturday. Hopefully it was the motivation for putting in a shift tonight

Flying_Heckfish

Frustrating we couldn't finish them off early, we really need to start putting chances away.. but it's been the same story since last season. For once we held out, we can hope this is the start of something but I'm not convinced. Let's see if we can carry it into the weekend.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites

Maureen-yo

I'm even more confused by our midfield and how to best use what we have, is McTominay our best attacking midfielder? It's looking that way, so can we play him in an advanced role and still have Bruno doing what he does? It leaves one of Amrabat/Mainoo/Casemiro/Mount/Eriksen with a lot to do, a better team than Chelsea would expose the holes in that midfield, so do we drop Bruno and use two of our other more versatile midfielders or play Bruno/ McTominay and keep hoping McTominay scores more than we concede due to a weak midfield?
Not just a better team than Chelsea, any team that has a midfield 3 controls the game against us. Can’t believe Poch opted to play with a 2 to be honest, made us look a lot better than we will be in the coming weeks.

davidmichael

Amazing what can happen when we have 11 players on the pitch instead of 9 plus two man children sulking and skulking around the pitch, it’s always about the team and never individual players and if the best team means leaving out certain players then so be it.

daveskimufc

Constant press was good to see.
Antony so wasteful but he STILL offers so much more than anyone else has from the right and defensively.
Still glaring holes in MF that desperately needs addressing. Maguire looks good with Shaw next to him and reguillon a good attacking option at LB.
Keep rashford on the bench

Ole'sattheWheel

We were good but far too open and also wasteful. Did the job tonight but if we played like that at anfield or against a team not as shit as chelsea we’d be fecking battered

Spark

The only thing more mad about Villa being above City is us being 3 points behind them :lol:

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 325 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea
  • 12% Man Utd 1:1 Chelsea