EL D Europa League Round of 32 - 1st Leg

Club Brugge 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 20 February 2020

Jonty

Piss poor team selection that only served to highlight that Pereira and Lingard are not worthy of being squad players. I'm all for resting players and rotation but those two have gone past last chance saloon. Pointless bringing Bruno on with only 10mins to go, he should have come on at same time as Ighalo. Pointless subbing forwards when the glaring fact was there was no creativity on the field.

MonkeysMagic

For those patting themselves on the back for a job well done...have you not seen our recent performances at OT? Rotation only works when you win the next match, Sunday will show how 'rested' players can pull out a performance. Lets be honest, it wont be due to the top level coaching they would have received!

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
It was like watching In Bruges all over again. Both teams looking a bit lost and without proper idea what to do out there.

Djemba-Djemba

Result is decent.
Fernandes looked an absolute cut above when he came on, an actual good creative midfielder should help us so much for the rest of the season.
Nice goal from Martial, important he steps up for us with Rashford out.

Performance was absolutely fecking awful but when you're lining up with Mata Lingard and Pereira all playing together you know what you're about to watch so I expected this.

Pavl3n

The difference when we switched to 4231 ... Fred and Bruno are vital for us.
Can't wait to see the back of Jese and Pereira

Wan

Stupid line up. Don't rotate half the squad in one go What the heck was the long break for? Holidays?
Late sub(Bruno when he should have been far earlier).

Dalot, Pereira, Mata and Lingard should not play at the same time.

Lindelof Maguire ..
Dalot Pereira Matic..
Mata ..
Tortoise FC

PaulScholes99

Bruno looked a level above the rest in his 10 minutes. Looked like Pogba coming on against Watford and absolutely bossing the game (without changing the result). So much better than Lingard/Pereira.

Williams in the first half with the worst performance of his United career until now but this happens with young players.

tjb

When you actually look at how we played in this formation, forget the goal, our defenders were the most creative players in the team until Bruno came on. That says a lot. They don't run on the ball, move poorly off the ball, can't make direct passes or long balls and worst of all, they still don't keep their structure. Those are the only three ways to move the ball forward and they participate in none of this. Shaw, Dalot, AWB, Williams and McGuire have to work so hard to move the ball into the attack as relying on the current midfield means accepting the fact that the ball will not move into the attack consistently, even against the worst of opposition.

It shows how much improvement is still needed in the front 6 and in reserve as well. Pereira and Lingard cannot be contributors to this team in any capacity

ottosec

Shit performance, but we rested a few players and got a decent result for the 2nd round, so I guess it's ok.

always_hoping

I'll take the 1-1 draw but United were the better team, 60% possession, more shots on goal and on target so if any team deserved to win it was United. Brugge goal should not have stood hopefully that doesn't matter for the 2nd leg.

scwhd

Dreadful stuff, but at least this should be the last game we're using so many reserves to rest our first XI. All about wins from now on.

Woodzy

I missed the first half, but was it really worse than that second half? That’s an achievement!

LJJT

Terrible game to watch. I think given the starting line up 1-1 away from home actually a good result. Everyone was terrible but especially mata, lingard, Andreas and Dalot. The others not much better. Best just putting this game behind us now and hope we are fresh for Sunday

Walters_19_MuFc

Would have been nice to get a win. Felt we were really knocking on the door in the last 10 minutes and could have nicked it, especially with the introduction of Fernandes.

That said, a draw is not the worst result. You'd expect us to get the job done at Old Trafford.

RedRJ

You are aware that we played Chelsea away 3 days ago and play again in 3 days. It's called squad management. Have to look at the bigger picture
Yes, good point, but those that came in did themselves no favours: Lingard seems to have no redeeming features any more and doesn’t look capable of playing himself into form; Dalot was anonymous in the 2nd half; Pereira runs around a lot but contributes very little; and Mata’s legs have gone. By all means rest players, but we’ve seen nothing from Pereira and Lingard to suggest that they were likely to have a good game, so why not play a couple of youngsters instead?

Run_time_error

Thankfully that will not be the side starting come the weekend. Lingard seemed to start brightly then fade after two minutes. Pereira was hopeless. Fred had more touches in his first five minutes than Pereira had in 70. Mata a luxury we can't afford in that lineup. Once again, Williams is not a wing back and Dalot was a waste of space. Got away with it.

siw2007

1 1 draw away in Europe is a good result. Performance was pretty poor, though it is understandable when we are playing Dalot, Andreas and Lingard. Two bad errors from both teams led to goals, either could have got the 2nd, I felt we probably could have done in last 10min when Bruno came on and got on the front foot.

Tie is very even still with us holding the slight advantage. Though this Brugge team looks well organised, hard working with a bit of quality, and we shouldn’t underestimate them at Old Trafford.

tjb

Would have been nice to get a win. Felt we were really knocking on the door in the last 10 minutes and could have nicked it, especially with the introduction of Fernandes.

That said, a draw is not the worst result. You'd expect us to get the job done at Old Trafford.
We really have to start getting to that point against teams. After tonight's observation, its clearly a quality thing. Pereira and Lingard are detriments to any lineup. We need more Fernandes'.

Gordon S

The drop off in quality from our first string is just ridiculous. Pereira and Lingard are terrible. Mata is decent. Dalot is talented but very rusty atm.
Thought Maguire, Shaw Martial and Matic were ok today imo.
Decent result and no new injuries is positive

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Given the lineup and performance its a decent result.

No attacking cohesion though.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Yes, good point, but those that came in did themselves no favours: Lingard seems to have no redeeming features any more and doesn’t look capable of playing himself into form; Dalot was anonymous in the 2nd half; Pereira runs around a lot but contributes very little; and Mata’s legs have gone. By all means rest players, but we’ve seen nothing from Pereira and Lingard to suggest that they were likely to have a good game, so why not play a couple of youngsters instead?
Because our first team backups still need minutes to stay sharp. Those four are unlikely to get a lot of football in coming weeks, but we cant just freeze them out. It's squad management.

pascell

Tonight is a good example why signing both Grealish and Maddison wouldn't be a bad idea. Our lack of strength in depth is shocking, having to rely on Matic, Pereira and Lingard to create an attacking spark or link play hampered us massively tonight.

Thought Williams, Lindelof, Matic, Pereira and Lingard were well below average.

Lee565

A draw with an away goal is good enough, we should do the job at home.

Irwin99

Good result but another pretty dire performance for the most part. Have no problem with the selection with the fixtures coming up but still should do a lot better. Came alive at the end of both halves but pretty poor overall. Both teams gave it away for fun at various points.

RedRJ

1 1 draw away in Europe is a good result. Performance was pretty poor, though it is understandable when we are playing Dalot, Andreas and Lingard. Two bad errors from both teams led to goals, either could have got the 2nd, I felt we probably could have done in last 10min when Bruno came on and got on the front foot.

Tie is very even still with us holding the slight advantage. Though this Brugge team looks well organised, hard working with a bit of quality, and we shouldn’t underestimate them at Old Trafford.
To be honest, I thought they were there for the taking and panicked every time we looked like breaking them down. Lots of energy though, but we really should not be losing the tie to this team.

Walters_19_MuFc

We really have to start getting to that point against teams. After tonight's observation, its clearly a quality thing. Pereira and Lingard are detriments to any lineup. We need more Fernandes'.
This is why I want to see Ole sign more players before making judgment.

TheReligion

Abusive
The pitch was much worse than it looked and I'm not surprised we made so many errors. The game was littered with them from both sides. I saw a close up and the ball was bobbling everywhere. Certainly not made for passing and intricate play. The stormy weather was also an issue.

We will beat these by 3/4 goals next week.

Brightonian

The difference when Fred and then Bruno came on was night and day. Playing those from the start we could have battered them. Bruno looks sharp as feck, I'm not sure he had a single touch that wasn't menacing except his free kick.

I can only assume that pitch was waterlogged because pretty much everyone on both teams looked so heavy-footed they might as well have been playing in treacle.

Shaw was really good, Maguire and Martial pretty good. Matic and Lindelof uneven. Dalot, Pereira and Lingard irrelevant. Williams had a shocker, but actually also showed glimpses of his talent too, so I'm not too concerned about that. Mata only ever plays as well as what's around him, so was poor until Fred and Bruno came on then much better.

All in all, we did the classic job of turning a two-match tie into a one-match tie and nothing more. I'm more excited than ever to see Bruno, Fred and McT in a midfield three at some point though. Such a shame we probably won't get to see them all with Rashford too this season - that would be something to conjure with.

UnitedChampionsAgain

I've never used the term "shitfest" before but that performance truly deserves it. Partly Solskjaers fault for picking that line-up but Christ that was poor.
Lingard, Dalot, Pereira,Lindelof,all pathetic. Williams now in a slump after a good start to his time in the first team.
Again, what the heck does Solskjaer and his crew do with this lot on the training pitch??
Shocking performance!

Judas

Open to offers
The difference when Bruno came on :lol: just ridiculous. Very frustrating really, you start him and you feel this would be wrapped up before the second leg.

Seven Seas Sardines

The pitch was much worse than it looked and I'm not surprised we made so many errors. The game was littered with them from both sides. I saw a close up and the ball was bobbling everywhere. Certainly not made for passing and intricate play. The stormy weather was also an issue.

We will beat these by 3/4 goals next week.
I just loled at work. He wouldn't have Messi play intricate play in a dictator's garden. How anyone would expect such things from Ole is beyond me! :lol:

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 209 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brugge win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Brugge 0:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Brugge 1:1 Man Utd