PL W FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 2:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 05 March 2018

SalfordRed1960

Oh what a night, late in March back in 2018, Matic scored in injury time, Oh what a feeling, what a night.

Obviously pissed off at the first half performance, but that said, I really didn't think we would lose. We just needed our a*se kicked and certain players to wake up. We are a different team when we attack, I just don't get it why Jose doesn't seem to realize this. Play to the strengths of the f*cking team.

Most commentators are now saying they feel Jose is holding the team back, same as with LVG, same as with Moyes. United are not as bad as our performances make out. When we play with instinct rather than by rules, we move about a lot more, create a lot more, and threaten a lot more.

Mata and Sanchez movement would trouble any team.

Looking forwarded to the Scousers.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yeah, I know. But the story at the top, especially in Europe, is that the lower ranked teams are in less competitions. They have more energy to spend. If you watch Barca, etc, and it probably was like that for Pogba at Inter, etc, you kind of sit back and stroke it around and try to get a win while keeping something in reserve. The English style hell for leather is great fun, but its a teeny bit understandable how players from the higher echelons are a bit ill prepared to get stuck in, and play every game like a cup final. If you are playing 70+ or whatever games per season, and you are mentally prepping a CL game... know what I mean?
I would have agreed with you before this season. But we see Man City. They dictate the play. They made PL into a walking game yesterday. Not cause they're boring but because the opponent knows you give them an inch and its a goal. With another couple of players we can do that. It comes down to tactics now.

Fitchett

What is the name of that wanker of a referee? Fecking disgrace, every decision went their way, even the foul for their second goal was pathetic.
Neil Swarbrick. Agree with you, he was shocking, gave them everything and us nothing. I was fuming, as was the United bench, when he only added on three minutes stoppage time. Should have been six or seven minutes (3 goals plus 4 subs = 3.5 minutes, plus 2 or 3 minutes for all Palace's time wasting). It was karma when Matic scored in the second minute of stoppage time, as little time left for Palace to go for an equaliser.

Last edited:

philipos

Just on my way back from the match. The guy next to me screamed NO NO NO as Matic was about to hit it ...... and then we all went mental!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Just on my way back from the match. The guy next to me screamed NO NO NO as Matic was about to hit it ...... and then we all went mental!
Oh man.
The match in the stadium must've been insane.
Coming back from 2-0, to win.

Irrational.

Neil Swarbrick. Agree with you, he was shocking, gave them everything and us nothing. I was fuming, as was the United bench, when he only added on three minutes stoppage time. Should have been six or seven minutes (3 goals plus 6 subs = 4.5 minutes, plus 2 or 3 minutes for all Palace's time wasting). It was karma when Matic scored in the second minute of stoppage time, as little time left for Palace to go for an equaliser.
They usually just pluck out the added time on a random number generator out of their arses.

I thought Swarbrick was okay but did let Palace get away with murder whilst whistling for every Palace dive.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Lukaku did really great with that second goal. Just been re-watching it, eye of a needle stuff indeed.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Off to YouTube to try and find Mou's post match stuff....

Prodigy24

What a game. The difference from the first half and the second was like night and day. Couldn't get anything going on in the first half, and our most creative players had shockers at the same time which didn't help when trying to score.

I thought we started the second half really good, even though we ended up conceding a couple of minutes later. However the team showed great character and determination to get back into the game which is lovely to see after that awful first half. This will give both the players and the fans confidence ahead of the tougher matches.

Also thought that Mourinho made some excellent subs in Rashford and in particular Mata, who I think changed the game completely when he came on. He found spaces behind their defence and was involved in pretty much every attack we had. Such a wonderful little player.

Smalling deserves some credit as well. Took his goal very well and often got the better of Palace's gigants. Won many headers against their nr.9 which was great to see, and got unlucky with some of the refs desicions against him.

On to the next one. :devil:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
While I'm happy about the result I do want to ask: what's the deal with the quick free-kick rule?

Is there any consistency to it or can I go to bed knowing that refs seem to do whatever the feck they feel like when it comes to it.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
These late victories are sweet. The best part besides the win is watching anti-United pundits and commentators having to change their scripts.

JG3001

Great performance reminiscent of the Sir Alex days.

We were poor in the first half, they scored two against the run of play. Palace played above and beyond their capabilities.

Spot on subs by Jose and we showed unbelievable character to win the game, especially in an away game with a raucous home crowd. We had Palace boxed in for the majority of the second half. Also, DDG - what a keeper. :eek:

Hopefully this will quieten down the negativity merchants and Jose Out fanboys. A couple from the numerous posts during the game:
Said it to others, will say it again: doesn’t change the fact the team were dire, im happy with the result, but these performances are way too common for my liking.

The fact you think Palace raised their game (the deluded response of many on here after a number of games this season, who seem to believe United can’t be crap, whether it be players and/or manager fault) says it all.

Teams far too passive, far too negative and applies next to zero pressure until they go a goal down.

I honestly can’t believe the people who can accept this are the same ones who wanted Van Gaal out.

Kag

I feel sorry for you really if you can’t enjoy a finish like that. Your José hatred is stronger than your United love. Shame, that.
I enjoyed the finish. I said as much. But I'm finding it hard to join the 'I told you so' chorus. I find it hard to pretend as if I thought it was a good performance. I find it hard to act as if I wasn't raging in the 87th minute and left feeing really disappointed that our response to getting the equaliser was to step back off the pedal. I'm not sure what this has to do with a hatred of Mourinho, something that is completely irrelevant and plainly untrue.

ravi2

Where would we be without DDG? Can't think of a better keeper in the world at the moment.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Neil Swarbrick. Agree with you, he was shocking, gave them everything and us nothing. I was fuming, as was the United bench, when he only added on three minutes stoppage time. Should have been six or seven minutes (3 goals plus 6 subs = 4.5 minutes, plus 2 or 3 minutes for all Palace's time wasting). It was karma when Matic scored in the second minute of stoppage time, as little time left for Palace to go for an equaliser.
Thought he was fine tbh. Next to no contentious decisions and wanted to let the game flow.
Odd thing to focus on.

jackofalltrades

While I'm happy about the result I do want to ask: what's the deal with the quick free-kick rule?

Is there any consistency to it or can I go to bed knowing that refs seem to do whatever the feck they feel like when it comes to it.
Ryan Giggs will know. He scored a goal directly from a free kick in a CL game while the keeper was still organising the defence.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.

This.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Also Lukaku was immense in the last 20 mins.
He worked flat out and desperately wanted to win.
Like Fellaini, he is the sort of player who will run through brick walls for himself, for his manager and for his team - which is what Jose loves his players to be like.

cyberman

Rashford has to be the worst free kick taker in any top side.
He never troubles the keeper or whip it in with any authority, he just takes them.

Swift Football

Agree....referee was shocking, so many decisions went against us. it was frustrating. I think he booked just one of their players when they made so many silly fouls and he gave fouls to them even when we won the balls fairly.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Jose as cheerful as ever :lol:

We were lucky to escape that game with 3 points and I'm glad Jose is prepared to accept that, just hope he reiterates that point to the players now and over the course of the week.

A similar performance against the scousers will see us beaten, we have got to start performing in the first half.

Tosicsleftpeg

We won that because of the 3 m's
-Mou, fantastic subs and took a real chance with some excellent management by putting Lingard as a right wing back who gave great energy. He threw the dice and went for it which is honestly all we can ever ask of him and it made the game good to watch!

-Mata, came on and demonstrated his quality. Ok he isn't quick and doesnt always grab the headlines but his touch and football brain are superb, we need someone like him to direct the play.

-Matic! Not only the goal but before that he was really trying to take control and passed the ball superbly. What a goal though absolutely went mad.

Some dreadful performers like pogba and Sanchez but in the end we got there.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Performance wise - really dire. Even the comeback was us in the same gear, but thankfully with Palace retreating more and more on to the back foot. I know Jose likes that approach, but it was hardly guaranteeing a winner.

Great moment at the end though. Feels like a while since I celebrated like that.

Admit it. Who else thought “don’t shoot you twat” when that ball dropped to matic?
I wanted him to. There's times you should and times you shouldn't, and it's rare we get it right these days.
I did think it when he had an easy pass to Rashford earlier on in the game but booted it wayward instead.

Ban

Jose as cheerful as ever :lol:

We were lucky to escape that game with 3 points and I'm glad Jose is prepared to accept that, just hope he reiterates that point to the players now and over the course of the week.

A similar performance against the scousers will see us beaten, we have got to start performing in the first half.
I expect us to contain them in the 1st half, Liverpool I mean, and pick them on counters. And be more active in the 2nd and agressive. Obviously we shouldnt give them as much time on the ball and space as we gave Chelsea.
I hope we'll start on the front foot and don't let them play their own thing.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I expect us to contain them in the 1st half, Liverpool I mean, and pick them on counters. And be more active in the 2nd and agressive. Obviously we shouldnt give them as much time on the ball and space as we gave Chelsea.
I hope we'll start on the front foot and don't let them play their own thing.
Yeah, we desperately need to start on the front foot. Make our presence known.

Hercules

Woke up late after the game, saw the score and checked the match thread. Looks like we lost tbh and CP played like Barca.

Then watched the game and no, we were dominant (mistakes aside)

klsv

Get the feck in! Played the fixture on FIFA with my kid, she was United and won 3-2, told her I hope it goes like this in the actual match too, oh man :lol:

I love Lukaku so much.

Silver

He worked flat out and desperately wanted to win.
Like Fellaini, he is the sort of player who will run through brick walls for himself, for his manager and for his team - which is what Jose loves his players to be like.
I don't know if I would put him in the same category as Fellaini - Fellaini plays more to the instructions of the manager and that's it. Lukaku though has far more passion and hunger on his own terms if that makes sense - almost vintage Rooney-esque. Loved his persistence in the last 20 mins... he was absolutely giving it.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 486 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Crystal Palace 0:3 Man Utd