PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 24 November 2018

Bestofthebest

Jose is talking about fighting for 24 points available in December so I can only presume he has become delusional. I would be happy if they actually fought for anything, after today's performance I would be amazed if we get 12 points in December. I am now of the opinion that ther very best we can hope for this season is to finish the season in mid table. I am afraid to say we should not spend any money in January but save it for summer for the next manager and use the time to prepare for a clear out of the deadwood.
As far as SAF and his early years, it has already been pointed out on the forums, that whilst the team was not performing on the pitch you could see how he was changing things in the structure of the club that remained in place for the whole of his tenure.

EwanI Ted

Sure, sack Mourinho, but it won’t solve everything.

Dubious tactics yes but we clearly also have a bunch of fecking vastly overpaid and overrated primadonnas who only turn up when they feel like it. They didn’t fancy it this afternoon poor darlings.

Player power indeed.

So if we are changing the manager, needs to be someone who’s name demands instant respect.

If this lot won’t give 100% for Jose Mourinho I certainly can’t imagine the likes of Paul Pogba & Alexis Sanchez and their egos doing it for the likes of Eddie Howe.
I think that was the rationale for getting Mourinho though. If someone with his CV cant get instant respect from these players, then big CVs maybe arent the answer.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It was nice to see Dave keep a clean sheet and that's about the only positive we can take from today. :(

Alabaster Codify7

Not too surprising really. Midtable team is held to a draw at home by gritty, dogged relegation candidates. Happens quite a lot to midtable teams like Everton, happens to us. Midtable team, simple as that.

Its this type of performance that makes a mockery of the pro-Jose fans and the 'he needed a CB' argument. Alderweireld isn't going to help an attack that can barely scrape a chance in 90mins against a relegation candidate team.

Jose's done and our season is done. I'm on auto-pilot and have been for a month or so.

I wonder if the match-going Reds were chanting his name.

"Every single one of us will stand by David Moyes."

AngliaRed

Nothing personal against Mourinho. I was a staunch advocate of his tenure at Old Trafford, but I think I'm all worn out, dejected and bemused by what's going on.

Sorry, but he has to go!

Perfectly summed up for me too now.

However, the board needs a reshuffle too.

There are at least 5 players from tidays squad have to go too:
Matic
Lukaku
Fellaini
Valencia
Jones

RD76

Sir Alex Ferguson.

The early Ferguson years were wretched. Finished a distant 2nd in his first full season then decided he needed to get rid of Atkinson's players, replacing them with some interesting choices (Milne, Donaghy, Wallace, Phelan). We finished 11th, 13th then 6th, before collapsing at the end to hand Leeds the title, then won it the following year.

However bad Moyes, LVG and now Mourinho have been, Ferguson's early United teams were just as poor if not worse.

This is not meant as a case for retaining Mourinho. Ferguson was a long term manager, both for Aberdeen and for United. Mourinho is a classic short term manager, who favours experienced players and motivational strategies that exhaust players.
Spot on. And Ferguson was clearly working wonders with the youth team, changing the recruitment of young players, so that this would reap the benefits in the long term. His work behind the scenes kept his job and repaid him. Mourinho has not got that going for him.

Seven Seas Sardines

Not too surprising really. Midtable team is held to a draw at home by gritty, dogged relegation candidates. Happens quite a lot to midtable teams like Everton, happens to us. Midtable team, simple as that.

Its this type of performance that makes a mockery of the pro-Jose fans and the 'he needed a CB' argument. Alderweireld isn't going to help an attack that can barely scrape a chance in 90mins against a relegation candidate team.

Jose's done and our season is done. I'm on auto-pilot and have been for a month or so.

I wonder if the match-going Reds were chanting his name.

"Every single one of us will stand by David Moyes."
That's what I heard. Baffled me completely, especially towards the end of the game. I was hoping it was Palace supporters singing in jest.

mancan92

Sure, sack Mourinho, but it won’t solve everything.

Dubious tactics yes but we clearly also have a bunch of fecking vastly overpaid and overrated primadonnas who only turn up when they feel like it. They didn’t fancy it this afternoon poor darlings.

Player power indeed.

So if we are changing the manager, needs to be someone who’s name demands instant respect.

If this lot won’t give 100% for Jose Mourinho I certainly can’t imagine the likes of Paul Pogba & Alexis Sanchez and their egos doing it for the likes of Eddie Howe.
Honestly this line of thinking makes no sense. Do you think city's players genuinely care that much about the club? So you think all of their players are mature responsible hard-working individuals?

It's a stupid thought process which makes it look like you don't understand the current landscape of football.

Alabaster Codify7

That's what I heard. Baffled me completely, especially towards the end of the game. I was hoping it was Palace supporters singing in jest.
Pathetic sheep.
Afraid to speak their mind and let their true feelings known in case they're told they aren't a 'real fan' and their sense of belonging is shattered. Feeble.

stevoc

0-0 at home to Palace who are just above the relegation zone, we're desperate for 3 points, less than two minutes to go. DeGea gets a goal kick so i think we'll push everyone up and lump it into their box for one last attack.

Nope 5-6 players sitting in our half defending the box and making little effort to get forward. Says it all really, Mourinho has drilled them into thinking not losing is more important than winning.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
0-0 at home to Palace who are just above the relegation zone, we're desperate for 3 points, less than two minutes to go. DeGea gets a goal kick so i think we'll push everyone up and lump it into their box for one last attack.

Nope 5-6 players sitting in our half defending the box and making little effort to get forward. Says it all really, Mourinho has drilled them into thinking not losing is more important than winning.
Tbf that might have been because we really didn't look like scoring and Lindelof could barely walk anymore. I thought we were going to concede in the dying minutes with only 1 functioning CB, a DM who was letting every runner and every ball get past him, and the most erratic passer in our squad in central midfield.

Gordon S

Just watched about 3 minutes from the first half, couldn't keep going.
The team looks absolutely clueless when trying to defend.

Would love to know what Woodward is waiting for?

We are so shit; what was that? Can't score at home against Palace? Clueless.

THIRTEEN games in, and we have a goal difference of minus one. It's embarrassing.

PoTMS

Shite does not even begin to explain it. Thing that winds me up the most is we'll be playing Europa League football again next season. And that's if we're lucky. Times like this I really wish our home fans had handkerchiefs.

stevoc

Tbf that might have been because we really didn't look like scoring and Lindelof could barely walk anymore. I thought we were going to concede in the dying minutes with only 1 functioning CB, a DM who was letting every runner and every ball get past him, and the most erratic passer in our squad in central midfield.
We still should have been attacking and trying to get the win. It's a home game vs Palace, you need to win these games. What do we have 2-3 PL home wins all season? It's nearly December ffs.

Decade long lurker

Absolute shitshow. Except for victor the effort was pathetic. Some of it was comical. I’m in a pub in Eccles getting rat arsed to numb the pain. My eyes were offended by it.

ianw16

Supports
Manchester City
Honestly this line of thinking makes no sense. Do you think city's players genuinely care that much about the club? So you think all of their players are mature responsible hard-working individuals?

It's a stupid thought process which makes it look like you don't understand the current landscape of football.
Have to disagree. Yes, they didn't grow up as City fans (with the exception of Foden), but a number of them clearly have developed a deep feeling for the club. Take Zabba. Plays for the Hammers now, but his feelings for City are obvious when he is on as a pundit. Kompany is married to a local lass, and the proceeds from his testimonial are going to Manchester's homeless. Spanish Dave and Aguero have been there a long time, and have shown no desire to leave. Sterling has never looked happier, Sane is coming on leaps and bounds. Et cetera. They get paid very well, as do many top players. Mercenaries, such as Sanchez, however, we don't need. Evidently he was poison in the Arsenal dressing room when he wanted away. In retrospect, I'm glad you got him! Bernardo is far more use for us than Sanchez is for you. What Sanchez's attitude would have been like under Pep is an interesting question.

Back in the day, lads from various parts of the country, and various backgrounds, would be thrown into a regiment to fight together. The camaraderie they built up was dependent on the trust in their CO, and the tactics he used to give them the best chance of success, without hanging them out to dry, i.e getting killed.
And therein lies the difference, IMHO. I'm hoping Mourinho gets a 20 year contract extension. :)

My first post here, BTW.

stu_1992

It all looked very promising in the first 10 minutes, and then it just went nowhere. I guess a few chances for both teams in the game, but Palace probably had the better of those. Incredibly poor result. At best you could say we looked evenly matched. And that's pretty damning. Manchester United at home to Crystal Palace and the teams were evenly matched in the game!

The only person I give credit to today is Lindelof as he was still giving his all at the end despite hobbling on one leg. Good commitment for the cause. If only a few others had that mentality today.

RedMilo

Wow just wow. I said to my son after 30 minutes, do you want to leave at half time, he talked me into staying. I have never felt this dis-interested in United. I feel nothing and that's really sad considering its been a major part of my life for over 30 years. I opt in to cup games so have already been charged for the Young Boys game, but doubt I will be going. Jose has to go, and we need to bring someone who has real direction for the club, its slipping away into irrelevance and that's not right.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Wow just wow. I said to my son after 30 minutes, do you want to leave at half time, he talked me into staying. I have never felt this dis-interested in United. I feel nothing and that's really sad considering its been a major part of my life for over 30 years. I opt in to cup games so have already been charged for the Young Boys game, but doubt I will be going. Jose has to go, and we need to bring someone who has real direction for the club, its slipping away into irrelevance and that's not right.
Agree on the disinterest and that’s what kills me.

Under LVG and Moyes it was easy to get passionate about how mismanaged we were. Now, it’s become the norm.

We need a fresh manager with modern and exciting ideas. Who cares if they’ve won anything, tried and tested has failed terribly for us.

Today showed what a mid table team we realy are.

Alexit

I was for him earlier but he has to go now. That was a total disaster against Palace; at HOME? Just leave. Leave!

wolvored

I didnt see the game and to be honest, glad. Did they get booed off at the end?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
They'll think of him as a bit of a joke. Just like our 2013 team thought of Moyes.
And TBH, with Paul Pogba, CL final, Italian Leagues, Europa League, WC winner - why shouldn't he?

We'll need a big name.

Red00012

The stats on twitter highlighting the difference between Utd and City are depressing.
It will be interesting to see will the board give JM money in January. Top 4 might be impossible by then.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Very poor. Thought we were making some progress but it’s another terrible result. Martial had a poor game and then we looked clueless in the final third.
Really?

This team only actually does decently in so called big matches. Whether it's attitude, or tactical approach, we are just game raisers and very ill suited to a league campaign.

Just sack him. He's not done anything to deserve this kind of backing.

Trizy

What exactly did Mourinho do wrong today? Did he miss his those chances? Did he not perform? For the last 30 mins we had a front line of Martial, Fellaini, Lukaku, and Rashford, with Sanchez playing behind them. That is attacking as it is possible to get and still they couldn't score. Jose put all the attackers on and it is they who didn't score. So what is Mourinho being blamed for today, seeing as he played with our most attack focussed players? What more could he have done tactically?

Lukaku did not perform, Lingard did not perform, Pogba did not perform, Lingard did not perform, Rashford did not perform. At what point do they get any blame?

Everyone was shocked Darmian started but he did alright, and was tactically the right choice.
We just lumped the ball straight up to the penalty spot for like 10 minutes. That is not a tactic.

We are so slow in moving the ball, we are so predictable, we have no right wing, we lump the ball from the back instead of keeping position, we continue to blindly cross the ball instead of trying to create from elsewhere.

The above is all down to training. See Klopp, See Pep, See Sari's teams.

EDIT: I can't actually quote the above user because of ''text speak''.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Really losing interest in watching us play. I will still watch all the games, but its a chore to watch us. You look at city with there slick fluid interplay and then look at us and we play like west brom or stoke under Tony Pulis.

I would keep an eye on Lucien Favre if we choose to sack Mouinho and cannot get Zidane or whomever. Dortmund this season are just exquisite.

dannyando

Palace would've been disappointed not to grab all 3. Comfortably the better side. Incredible how bad we are really. Incredible. Mourinho has just destroyed us. Predictably I guess. Chelsea were coming 16th when they sacked him. Why we thought signing a bloke that was sacked from the side running 16th was beyond me. I don't care what he did before that. He's gone. Got nothing

Ventura

Yeah, we needed to win all these next games after the City defeat to be alive in the league, and it's officially a write-off now. We're not going to suddenly start playing good football. I'm going to have to stand by my pre-season prediction that we'll have to struggle to secure 6th. It's sad to see such a great club being mismanaged so badly.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We are undefeated at home against almighty Palace, and we’ve managed to stop us playing football too, all credits to Jose :drool:

automaticflare

Perfectly summed up for me too now.

However, the board needs a reshuffle too.

There are at least 5 players from tidays squad have to go too:
Matic
Lukaku
Fellaini
Valencia
Jones
Wtf 2 of them didn’t even play
What about smalling young Darmian

Player Ratings

4.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player