PL W FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 16 July 2020

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Wasnt pretty but the result is what matters at this stage. Hopefully Leicester and Chelsea can drop some points but its still in our hands all the same.

crossy1686

career ending
Great from DDG, kept us in the game. My MotM. Fun exciting contest. Bruno, Rashford and Martial all get high marks for their individual strokes of class that gave us the goals.

Pogba swing and miss, while Lindelöf had another good game.

Lingard also had his best game of the season, gave him a 6 for that.
A fecking 6 for the best game he's had all season? You know the scoring goes up to 10 right?

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Poor performance, great result

Lot of players off form, but main thing is to win. Martial easily our best player.

Need Bruno and Greenwood back to form and defence to tighten up, hope Shaw or Williams are back to give us something going forward on the left .Lindelof looks made of jelly and Maguire was awful.
Matic did well after coming on and DDG did fine with what he had to do.

wolvored

First half we rode our luck very poor, seemed knackered. Palace should have had a pen as well. We would have been screaming if it was the other way around. As soon as Matic came on we seemed to find our second breath. We need to buy a younger version of Matic as McTom isnt good enough to play that role. Pogba had a game to forget, even Bruno took 60 mins to get into the game. Think we will struggle on Sunday as tiredness is catching up on us.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The second goal killed the match, before then it was rough. Rashford and Martial were both very sharp but we didn't get the ball to them enough, Bruno struggled I thought but persevered got himself two (one and half?) assists. De Gea back on form was also pleasing and Lindelof defended fairly well, so did Maguire in the second half.

I was unimpressed with everything else to be honest; just a sloppy, lethargic sort of performance that will need to improve if we're to chase down Leicester and win the FA Cup/Europa. That said, two goals, none conceded, three points, thanks very much.

bsCallout

Martial is our most inform player. He is incredible, all round, I have no words for anyone who thinks he should be replaced.

Bruno was sloppy at times but he unlocks the door, multiple times, higher tempo games suit him too and we played the ball too slow.

McT has poor positioning compared to Matic, that is his biggest weakness.

TFM was OK for a player who hasn't played a competitive game in god knows how long. The criticism against him is ridiculous.

I've noticed people also criticise Maguire for a few things, whilst his attacking headers were awful tonight, I don't think people understand the role of a CB partnership. Lindelof is supposed to make covering runs when Maguire attacks the ball, he never does it, and it completes exposes us. Maguire on the other hand is phenomenal at covering for Lindelof which actually makes Lindelof look less vulnerable than he is.

Overall - Professional performance against a typically organised Roy Hodgson team. Wins are all that matter now.

Reactions: Sultan

MonkeysMagic

Welcome win after debacle of Southampton. Bruno, Maguire, Matic and Pogba look spent. Ole will sacrifice the FA cup for the game against West H who always raise their game against us.

GD can be pivotal come the Leic game, I don't expect anything from scousers against chavs.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
feck me that was a stressful watch. All over the place at the back, im stunned we kept a clean sheet. Obvious pen for Palace too.

Bruno still posting good stats in terms of assists but his form is actually a little worrying going into a few massive games.

Rashford and Martial looking great.

baskinginthesun

....also, it's good to see Rashford back. I mean, it took him a bit to get going after the restart but, I think we're seeing him find his form again. That was absolutely sublime for the 2nd goal from him.

Strelok

Did he do anything or was he good because he didn't do anything shit?
Probably the later. At least he didn't lose any ball or misplace a pass, and run hard, as usual. I'd call that a good performance :wenger:

SirScholes

Bruno was poor today.

Matic->McTominay there's a huge difference.

Lack of quality full-backs showed again today
, no crosses coming in from full-backs, no quality there going forward.

I'm concerned about the lack of ball retention at times, trying to play the killer ball too much at times.

Good result though, I had United drawing it, so 2-0 was a pleasant surprise.
I thought this as well, I’m baffled as to what he did to get man of the match, rashford then de gea or martial for me
Even matic was more of a positive influence than Bruno

full backs I agree but with what we had available that was the best we could do, ask the full backs to just defend.

well done TFM for standing in and doing his job

bondsname

Not surprised to see us play better when Lingard came on. He completely nullfied Palace's left hand-side, pressing at every opportunity and keeping every passing-lane covered. The terror in the Palace defence when they tried to pass out from the back was evident and I have to say Lingard instructing his surrounding teammates to create triangles to keep possession was a stroke of genius.

Jonno

Excellent win, big sep towards CL football. I trust us to beat WH and I expect Chelsea to drop points v Liverpool. Two wins away from a productive PL campaign

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It wasn't good but wasn't as bad as is being suggested. Palace did not have too many chances, and all the good ones we had DDG. And VAR.

Matic was essential, felt like a lot more interceptions after that, playing on the front foot. Players are obviously dead on their feet, I was surprised he didn't do 3 changes after the 2nd goal. TFM and Scott unbalanced us also by being 2 right-footers, meanig we had no left footer except on the opposite corner fo the pitch.

Felt like most of the players, esp Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Bruno, were ignoring Lingard. Or maybe the pass wasn't on when I thought it was.

Pogba and Fernandes under par again, up until Matic came on and space opened up. Rashford and Martial were brilliant. Greenwood wasn't, and this game shows also why he's better on the right than as a striker - back to goal, he' anonymous, the moment he turns and can advance, it's different.

Defence was ok, faced a lot of situations and dealt with most of them.

Motm between de Gea, Rashford, and Martial.

Tarrou

I didn't wake up until about the 60m mark

Looked like we played a bit more conservatively to get the result - job done!

MiracleInMadrid

Poor play most of the game against a team that didn't want the ball.
Either we were knackered or we were nervous. Maybe a mixture. We aren't playing fast enough, which I think is due to both tiredness and lack of movement and commitment going forward. You can tell that some of the players are playing under serious mental and physical pressure right now. They need a break. Only Martial (of the offensive players) seems unaffected and is playing very well.

But some good performances.
Very good: Martial, De Gea
Good: Rashford, Maguire, Lindelöf
Fine: Pogba, Matic

KjaAnd

It looked like someone told our players not to tackle or press. Probably due to fatigue but very worrying how soft and passive we looked today.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Well done - showed nerve that I didn't think we necessarily had. Great to bounce back in a tough game like that. Palace were probably the more dominant for the most of it.

Surely one of Leicester and Chelsea will drop points in their next games - got to be back on it with our strongest team for West Ham.

Strelok

Not surprised to see us play better when Lingard came on. He completely nullfied Palace's left hand-side, pressing at every opportunity and keeping every passing-lane covered. The terror in the Palace defence when they tried to pass out from the back was evident and I have to say Lingard instructing his surrounding teammates to create triangles to keep possession was a stroke of genius.
Wow, first time I've seen that two words in a same sentence here :lol:

LoneStar

Martial motm. The man has a fire in him, and jushungry for goals. Top notch hold up play as well.

Rashford was lacking a bit of energy (understandable), but was not far behind. The two really have a very good connection now. Rashford was also missing Shaw on the left.

we look very tired, really hope most of the starting 11 is rested on Sunday. An FA cup win would be nice, but top 4 and a good summer window could potentially set us up in the long run.

Bruno needs a rest bad. And also we looked comfortable once Matic came on. Night and day between him and McT/Fred in that position.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Get in! Nervous performance but who cares? I would take 0-2 any day before the match!
Totally under control when Matic came on. Game changer.

Rashy is my MotM but Martial is up there too.

Pressure is back on Chelsea and Leicester.

The Real Treble 99

Never a penalty.
For 80 min we were crap & then brilliant.
fantastic performance from Martial & Rashford.
Ugly win, job done & 3 points.
Hoddle is drunk or on drugs with his MOTM.
Beautiful.

Eddy_JukeZ

Just win. Win the last 2 last games at any cost.

Good win. Performance was eh, but I just want the wins.

edgecutter

BT are going to keep talking about this pen, less was made of the Romeu red card on Monday

sunwukong

Good win to grind out, but why only two substitutions, especially when we can all see the players are so tired and we have more key games coming up? Could easily have brought on Ighalo and Fred at least.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
People won't be happy with that performance, but it had more to do with the player performances than anything tactical.

I thought Ole set us up well against Palace. They don't have much creativity, and they rely on their movement and wide interplay to open up teams. Instead of getting dragged into that, we decided to give them a Roy Hodgson special and set up with pure zonal defending. Everyone stayed in their areas, and whilst Palace had more possession and some good moments, we still kept a clean sheet.

Wan-Bissaka had a terrible time on the right because of this setup. Lindelof and McTominay stuck to their central areas for the most part, and Greenwood didn't track back so much. We forced Palace to try and put crosses in from the wide areas, which they did to little success. The biggest problems came when we'd give the ball away and not transition back into the defence quickly. It looked like the players had to contend with some fatigue from the fixture congestion, which allowed Palace to get lots of space and test us in certain moments. The fatigue also meant that we were a bit slower at covering ground and ball-watched in certain moments. Despite that, we didn't panic defensively and held them off; we barely tackled the ball and chose instead to stick to our feet. Palace's attacking players are at their best when the opposition tend to challenge them, but we exposed their overall lack of quality by not falling for that trap.

On the attack, overall, we had the right ideas, but our execution was poor. In the first half, we played safely, choosing to take extra touches and play extra passes instead of being more cavalier. In the second half, we were quicker, more direct, and as a result, we tested Palace more though our execution, once again, left us wanting for the first 15 or so minutes of the second half. Defensively, we kept things the same, but we looked more comfortable, and the changes helped us, too. With us playing more on the front foot, Matic allowed us to retain possession better and spring counterattacks, whilst Lingard offered freshness and quickness from the right side. Bruno's sloppiness was offset by Rashford and Martial's tighter control of the football and overall better performances. Pogba, despite being a bit of a problem defensively, stuck to his role and showed the discipline that people have so often questioned him about. De Gea looked sharp and confident, and he even had a go at his team on several occasions for giving Palace too much time.

The biggest problem in our team right now is the lack of communication among the players. If we sort that out, we'd eliminate the majority of our errors.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
P19 W14 D5 L0 F50 A8.

An important win under pressure with both Chelsea and Leicester winning. The team performance tonight won't be good enough to beat Leicester on the final day and would be dodgy against West Ham so plenty of room for improvement.

What team is picked v Chelsea on Sunday needs to be chosen wisely now.
Didn’t realise our good run had gone on so long. That’s a whole half season playing well enough to win the league. This pleases me.

Thought we were a bit shit tonight but we got there in the end. Martial and Rashford are in sensational form. Watching those two continue to improve together is a seriously exciting prospect. I’m less convinced about what’s behind them. We seem to still be a bit flawed in central defence and in central midfield.

RedNed77

Robbie Savage doing my tits in with his outrage over the Lindelof penalty. Just give it a rest.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Robbie Savage getting a bit too irate about that non pen v Lindelof.

Calm down son

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 333 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Crystal Palace 0:3 Man Utd